Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Antaras
Topic Author

Updated: Vietjet Air is preparing for A330 operation

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:07 pm

Sorry that I can't provide a proper source for this, and as I included the word "rumor" on the title, this topic is created based on every piece of information that I have heard in a Vietnamese private aviation forum.
  • Some crews "confirmed" that most VJ crews are being trained with the A330, including the operation training as well as the safety training.
  • Aircraft sources: can be A332 from MT and/or A333/A339 from AirAsiaX. Some specifically pointed out that VJ has acquired 3 ex-AAX A333, unknown if VJ directly bought it from AAX or to take them from lessors. In fact, the AAX deal is obviously more likely as MT's A332 are so old that they may be unsuitable with Vietnamese regulation and VJ's key strategy to operate a young fleet.
  • Routes and destinations: trunk domestic routes such as between HAN, SGN, DAD, HPH, CXR, and/or PQC. The international destinations can be Russia and Australia (A321XLR: excuse me?!)

You are welcome to share any further info that you have known. Besides that, assuming that this rumor is true, how do you think about this move?
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Title updated
If you disagree with my statement, assume that it was just a joke :duck:

Revelation

Re: [Rumor] Vietjet Air is planning for A330 operation

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:14 pm

Makes one wonder if they are in line to get the AAX A339 white tails stacking up in various French and Spanish aircraft parking lots?

Ref: https://www.aerotime.aero/24895-airasia ... t-unfilled

I suppose CEOs are just as good if not better than NEO on short domestic hops though...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:17 pm

Revelation wrote:
Makes one wonder if they are in line to get the AAX A339 white tails stacking up in various French and Spanish aircraft parking lots?

I suppose CEOs are just as good if not better than NEO on short domestic hops though...

Well, it can be both NEO and CEO. I have checked again and the specific type was not mentioned. It is likely for VJ to go with some AAX A339 whitetails.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:20 pm

Revelation wrote:

VJ sets to pick 3 airframes from AAX. Incidentally, seems like AAX have exactly 3 ntu airframes that weren't taken up by any other carriers:
https://www.planespotters.net/airline/AirAsia-Group

A320B737NGCapt

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:32 pm

The A330-900 was being evaluated since mid-2019, it had been put on hold because of Covid-19, now looks like they are ready to go again.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:36 pm

A320B737NGCapt wrote:
The A330-900 was being evaluated since mid-2019, it had been put on hold because of Covid-19, now looks like they are ready to go again.

Sounds like a good choice for a ULCC.
We are expecting an order with Airbus for some dozens of airframes. Or AAX may just "transfer" a part of the order to VJ just like Icelandair did with its B788 order to Norweigian.

Revelation

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:44 pm

Antaras wrote:
A320B737NGCapt wrote:

We are expecting an order with Airbus for some dozens of airframes. Or AAX may just "transfer" a part of the order to VJ just like Icelandair did with its B788 order to Norweigian.

It's certainly a good outcome for Airbus and for fans of the A330neo! :biggrin:

A339 has advantages that it is factory fresh so less expense on maintenance, and is available quickly.

A333 advantages are that they are cheap, cheap, cheap and the engines weigh less which is an advantage for short domestic hops.

A339 can't claim a fuel burn advantage on short hops due to the heavy engines.

Clearly if they are making a long term fleet move it makes more sense to go with A339, if just a short term thing A333 is fine.

As mentioned Vietnam has some unique rules on aircraft age, so A339 is advantaged.

Hope this turns out well for all involved!

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:55 pm

Revelation wrote:
A333 advantages are that they are cheap, cheap, cheap and the engines weigh less which is an advantage for short domestic hops.

Clearly if they are making a long term fleet move it makes more sense to go with A339, if just a short term thing A333 is fine.

Yep, in long-term the A339 will be better for VJ. It plans for long-haul routes such as Australia, Russia or even the US (SGN to SJC via TPE?), sounds like A339 is perfect for VJ ;)

A320B737NGCapt

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:57 pm

Revelation wrote:
Antaras wrote:
A320B737NGCapt wrote:

A339 has advantages that it is factory fresh so less expense on maintenance, and is available quickly.

As mentioned Vietnam has some unique rules on aircraft age, so A339 is advantaged.

It will most probably be an order directly from VJ, and the AAX NTU will most probably be the aircraft involved, last time I looked up to 7 have been built and are in storage without engines.

I’d imagine they will use them on services to South Korea, Japan, Australia etc when the market recovers. And rotate them through the busy domestic services just as VN does with the 787 and A350.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:04 pm

A320B737NGCapt wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Antaras wrote:

It will most probably be an order directly from VJ, and the AAX NTU will most probably be the aircraft involved, last time I looked up to 7 have been built and are in storage without engines.

I’d imagine they will use them on services to South Korea, Japan, Australia etc when the market recovers. And rotate them through the busy domestic services just as VN does with the 787 and A350.

I wonder if those whitetails are 242t or 251t version. In fact I doubt the ability of the 242t-A339 to fly Vietnam-Britain (for example SGN-LHR) nonstop, and if those airframes would be 242t-version, I wonder if VJ would choose to order Airbus to upgrade those airframes :?:

A320B737NGCapt

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:30 pm

All depends on which frames they take, if it’s the A333 2nd hand from AAX (which will have to be under 10 years old as per CAAV regulations), or if it’s the A339 they could go up to 251T if the frame has been built with the MLG reinforcements etc.

I don’t see VJ expanding as far as the EU, they will not make any money. If they go ahead they will use them with the Indo-China and Australasia regions where there is demand.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:22 pm

A320B737NGCapt wrote:
All depends on which frames they take, if it’s the A333 2nd hand from AAX (which will have to be under 10 years old as per CAAV regulations)

Youngest A333 of AAX are just more than 5 years old, which I assume that VJ may easily acquire them based on AAX's current situation.

Someone83

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:26 pm

About any model of A330s, can probably be acquired extremely cheap these days.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:22 pm

Someone83 wrote:
About any model of A330s, can probably be acquired extremely cheap these days.

Also depends on the carriers' negotiation ability :?:

JohanTally

Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:22 pm

AA has 8 332s that are under 10 years old I'd recommend except N288AY

mjoelnir

Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 pm

Revelation wrote:
Antaras wrote:
A320B737NGCapt wrote:

I see the CAPEX advantage for buying used A330ceo, but everything else should be a plus for the neo. Lower running cost, not because the neo are newer, but because Airbus made an effort to lower the service cost, for example increasing service intervals.
In regards to short distance flying, the neo exceeded expectations in regards to climb performance, including fuel burn while climbing. A factor reducing or canceling out the effect of the heavier engines on short flights.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:11 pm

Hi there, I have received enough information confirmed that VJ is actually launching A333 service (not a rumor anymore) using airframes acquired from AAX. However the actual quantity is a mystery when one said 3, another said 6 while other said 9, LOL.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:06 pm

I received another piece of information but I could not confirm is that VJ is also taking up six former Thomas Cook A332 airframes.

(personally, I don't believe this thing due to the age regulation, and VJ always tries to minimize their fleet age by only operate young airframes. Only a few A320 airframes in VJ which are older than 10, and all of them were leased since VJ was just launched some 10 years ago)

MrHMSH

Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:10 am

Will be nice to see something that's not an A321 in Vietnamese skies, widebodies on HAN-SGN seem to be in vogue, so this is perhaps unsurprising. Korea and Japan services are a given, routes to Australia would be nice to see as well. That said, will be a tight squeeze!

A320B737NGCapt

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:09 am

Antaras wrote:
I received another piece of information but I could not confirm is that VJ is also taking up six former Thomas Cook A332 airframes.

(personally, I don't believe this thing due to the age regulation, and VJ always tries to minimize their fleet age by only operate young airframes. Only a few A320 airframes in VJ which are older than 10, and all of them were leased since VJ was just launched some 10 years ago)

6 leased initially, with the right to purchase, and possible access up to 12 frames. AAX does not own any A333’s they are all leased.

The TCX A332 rumours is Viet cabin crew gossip!!

Capricorn

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:15 am

Will be interesting to see how VJ does approach the medium/long haul LCC market. I think as a niche market that might work, given the Vietnamese diaspora in Japan and South Korea. In combination with service on domestic trunk routs IMO VJ has a better business case than AAX for A333 service. Time will tell.

eamondzhang

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:24 am

JohanTally wrote:

They ain't going to spend that money reconfiguring the cabin when there's literally the perfect combination next door IMO

Michael

Antaras
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:55 am

According to this: 3 airframes, config C12Y365 (?)

Antaras
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:32 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

They ain't going to spend that money reconfiguring the cabin when there's literally the perfect combination next door IMO

Michael

VJ is quite lucky to take up ex-AAX airframes due to the perfect configuration. AAX has a very-LCC config for its A33X, and one bonus thing is that the interior color theme is in red, yellow (gold), and black which is exactly the same as VJ's interior language.

Well in fact...VJ studied that from AirAsia and VJ used to orientate itself as the second AirAsia. Besides that, AirAsia used to help training VJ crew before the launch and AirAsia even owned 30% of VJ (so VJ used to be "Vietjet AirAsia"), and because of some branding issues so it withdrew all stakes from VJ, leave us the nowadays non-AK Vietjet Air ;)

MrHMSH

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:04 pm

Antaras wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

Michael

VJ is quite lucky to take up ex-AAX airframes due to the perfect configuration. AAX has a very-LCC config for its A33X, and one bonus thing is that the interior color theme is in red, yellow (gold), and black which is exactly the same as VJ's interior language.

Well in fact...VJ studied that from AirAsia and VJ used to orientate itself as the second AirAsia. Besides that, AirAsia used to help training VJ crew before the launch and AirAsia even owned 30% of VJ (so VJ used to be "Vietjet AirAsia"), and because of some branding issues so it withdrew all stakes from VJ, leave us the nowadays non-AK Vietjet Air ;)

AAX's A330s have black leather seats, which is the same as AK, but also VJ. I doubt there'd be much work needed besides some seat covers and maybe a few labels and logos here and there. Quite opportunistic by VJ, but if they are indeed getting 3 A333s, it's hardly a massive risk, and I think they'll pay for themselves on the busiest routes.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:28 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
AAX's A330s have black leather seats, which is the same as AK, but also VJ. I doubt there'd be much work needed besides some seat covers and maybe a few labels and logos here and there. Quite opportunistic by VJ, but if they are indeed getting 3 A333s, it's hardly a massive risk, and I think they'll pay for themselves on the busiest routes.

I doubt. A bunch of AAX aircraft have creamy-yellow leather seat, and I don't know if they are the older or newer ones.

In anyway VJ seems care more about the config but not the seats' color. Some of its A321s are still using Thomas Cook's black-yellow seats, so it will make no changes here.

Revelation

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:17 pm

Antaras wrote:
[*]Routes and destinations: trunk domestic routes such as between HAN, SGN, DAD, HPH, CXR, and/or PQC. The international destinations can be Russia and Australia (A321XLR: excuse me?!) [/list]

Any more info on routes, now that we have some more solid info on the aircraft?

I am definitely not well informed, but have watched some u2b travel videos in Vietnam and it seems ground transport is a challenge, so it seems more domestic air links should go over well.

Has domestic wide body service been tried before?

Antaras
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:50 pm

Revelation wrote:
Antaras wrote:
[*]Routes and destinations: trunk domestic routes such as between HAN, SGN, DAD, HPH, CXR, and/or PQC. The international destinations can be Russia and Australia (A321XLR: excuse me?!) [/list]

Any more info on routes, now that we have some more solid info on the aircraft?

I am definitely not well informed, but have watched some u2b travel videos in Vietnam and it seems ground transport is a challenge, so it seems more domestic air links should go over well.

Has domestic wide body service been tried before?

Except the mentioned domestic routes, seems like VJ will use the A333s on routes to SKorea, Japan, Taiwan, and China mainland. It can even launch Australia using those long-haul airframes.

OA412

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:36 pm

Please stay on topic!
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

ChrisMc84

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:56 pm

A320B737NGCapt wrote:
Antaras wrote:

6 leased initially, with the right to purchase, and possible access up to 12 frames. AAX does not own any A333’s they are all leased.

3 of the ex TCX A332 aircraft have been scrapped at MAN earlier this year so they are out of the equation. There are only 3 others still available which were formerly GCHTZ (msn398), GTCXB (msn948) and GTCXC (msn967). They all have identical configuration, apart from CHTZ which differs ever so slightly. Main thing is age with the 3, 2 being 12 years old and the later being 20 years old.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:06 pm

ChrisMc84 wrote:
A320B737NGCapt wrote:
Antaras wrote:

3 of the ex TCX A332 aircraft have been scrapped at MAN earlier this year so they are out of the equation. There are only 3 others still available which were formerly GCHTZ (msn398), GTCXB (msn948) and GTCXC (msn967). They all have identical configuration, apart from CHTZ which differs ever so slightly. Main thing is age with the 3, 2 being 12 years old and the later being 20 years old.

The VJ crews when they had to choose a potential name for the supplying of the aircraft, seems like they had chosen the wrong one. Definitely the wrong one.

Antaras
Topic Author

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:04 am

Many unofficial sources "confirmed" that the airframes will be delivered to VJ in June.
Until this moment there is still no official confirmation nor information from neither VJC, AAX nor any lessors. Besides that, the real quantity of airframes engaged in this deal is still a mystery.

EBT

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:19 am

Antaras wrote:
Many unofficial sources "confirmed" that the airframes will be delivered to VJ in June.
Until this moment there is still no official confirmation nor information from neither VJC, AAX nor any lessors. Besides that, the real quantity of airframes engaged in this deal is still a mystery.

I suspect that some of the mystery may be related to AAX's proposed restructuring as that will determine which lessors get told to come and pick up their jets, and how many of them. I think it's likely that there is an LOI in place, but no firm contract until the lessor gets confirmation that they will have the aircraft ready. But if I were a betting man, I would imagine that some will come from BOC Aviation which has already taken court action in the UK against AAX, and I don't think they are planning to wait around and see if they get their money. If it is only single-digits that would fit well.

RoyalBrunei757

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:07 am

AirAsia X has returned few A330ceo recently due to on-going pandemic.
1. 9M-XBD MSN713 -> Returned to lessor JLPS in July 2020, now converted to freighter at Dresden, Germany
2. HS-XTB MSN786 -> Returned to lessor AerCap in April 2021, re-registered as EC-NOG, currently in pre-delivery check in Singapore
3. HS-XTD MSN741 -> Returned to lessor AerCap in March 2021, re-registered as EC-NOF, currently location unknown
4. 9M-XXK MSN1433 -> Sold in April 2021, new owner unknown and currently stored at Nimes-Garons Airport, France
5. 9M-XXP MSN1481 -> Returned to lessor Aircastle in February 2021 and currently stored at Toowoomba Airport, Australia
6. 9M-XXY MSN1600 -> Returned to lessor Seraph Aviation in February 2021 and currently stored at Nimes-Garons Airport, France

From its peak of 40 airframes, current A330ceo fleet stands at 32 with 1 pending for delivery (HS-XTM for Thai AirAsia X), which I highly doubt they will take delivery. Next to go would be 9M-XXJ MSN1423 which was sold together with 9M-XXK.

AirAsia X has rejected lease for all 7 A330-900neo which have been completed/ partially completed at Toulouse. Tony Fernandes recently met Airbus officials at their HQ, not sure what have transpired.

Antaras
Topic Author

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:09 pm

RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
AirAsia X has returned few A330ceo recently due to on-going pandemic.
1. 9M-XBD MSN713 -> Returned to lessor JLPS in July 2020, now converted to freighter at Dresden, Germany
2. HS-XTB MSN786 -> Returned to lessor AerCap in April 2021, re-registered as EC-NOG, currently in pre-delivery check in Singapore
3. HS-XTD MSN741 -> Returned to lessor AerCap in March 2021, re-registered as EC-NOF, currently location unknown
4. 9M-XXK MSN1433 -> Sold in April 2021, new owner unknown and currently stored at Nimes-Garons Airport, France
5. 9M-XXP MSN1481 -> Returned to lessor Aircastle in February 2021 and currently stored at Toowoomba Airport, Australia
6. 9M-XXY MSN1600 -> Returned to lessor Seraph Aviation in February 2021 and currently stored at Nimes-Garons Airport, France

From its peak of 40 airframes, current A330ceo fleet stands at 32 with 1 pending for delivery (HS-XTM for Thai AirAsia X), which I highly doubt they will take delivery. Next to go would be 9M-XXJ MSN1423 which was sold together with 9M-XXK.

AirAsia X has rejected lease for all 7 A330-900neo which have been completed/ partially completed at Toulouse. Tony Fernandes recently met Airbus officials at their HQ, not sure what have transpired.

As VJ can only take up airframes which are younger than 10 y/o, I highly believe that VJ will acquire MSN 1433, 1481 and 1600.

Antaras
Topic Author

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:08 pm

From this moment, I can officially confirm that VJ has acquired some A333s.
Have a look at flight VJ159 HAN-SGN Sept 7th, 2021 reservation page, we can see a seat map of an AAX-config A333, with 3-3-3 config and 2-3-2 from row 44 to 51
vietjetair.com

AAX's original config with 9-abreast Y-cabin with 8-abreast config in row 44-51 similar to VJ's seat map:
https://www.airasia.com/aa/inflight-com ... seats.html

Antaras
Topic Author

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:02 pm

ch-aviation officially confirmed that VJ will add A330s in 3Q21. Even though it was covered by a paywall, I guess just the title is enough for everything.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/103042-vietjetair-set-to-add-a330s-in-3q21

Tuan

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:27 pm

Antaras wrote:
From this moment, I can officially confirm that VJ has acquired some A333s.
Have a look at flight VJ159 HAN-SGN Sept 7th, 2021 reservation page, we can see a seat map of an AAX-config A333, with 3-3-3 config and 2-3-2 from row 44 to 51
vietjetair.com

AAX's original config with 9-abreast Y-cabin with 8-abreast config in row 44-51 similar to VJ's seat map:
https://www.airasia.com/aa/inflight-com ... seats.html

Oh no, for me, as a 178cm tall man, 3-3-3 is a torture tool.
Most Vietnamese are smaller than I am, so I guest 3-3-3 is acceptable.

Antaras
Topic Author

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:10 pm

Tuan wrote:
Oh no, for me, as a 178cm tall man, 3-3-3 is a torture tool.
Most Vietnamese are smaller than I am, so I guest 3-3-3 is acceptable.

You can choose to book the last few rows (44-51) which are configured in the better 2-3-2 config.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos