Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

8herveg
Topic Author

Could the Southampton Airport runway extension mean the end of Bournemouth Airport?

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:23 pm

Now that the runway extension at Southampton Airport has been approved (not sure when it’s due to open?), could this have a negative impact on Bournemouth Airport? I’m assuming the likes of EasyJet, Ryanair, TUI, Jet2, Wizz etc. will be the likely airlines launching routes from SOU but would there be enough demand for them to operate from both BOH and SOU?

davidjohnson6

Re: Could the Southampton Airport runway extension mean the end of Bournemouth Airport?

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:18 pm

I think a better question about SOU, is whether the runway, post-extension, will be long enough for a 738 or 737 Max, and will its size satisfy Ryanair+TUI even when there is heavy rain ?
From what I can tell, the runway post-extension will be the longest possible - there won't be any extra safety zones or other patches of grass at either end of the runway as a back-up in case takeoff/landing goes wrong

BealineV953

Re: Could the Southampton Airport runway extension mean the end of Bournemouth Airport?

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:25 pm

8herveg wrote:
Now that the runway extension at Southampton Airport has been approved (not sure when it’s due to open?), could this have a negative impact on Bournemouth Airport?
I’m assuming the likes of EasyJet, Ryanair, TUI, Jet2, Wizz etc. will be the likely airlines launching routes from SOU but would there be enough demand for them to operate from both BOH and SOU?

An interesting question.
In recent years Tui and Ryanair have each operated something like 10 flights a day from BOH to a range of mostly leisure destinations, and easyJet have operated a ski-season service to GVA on some days.
It could be that rather than serving both BOH and SOU, Tui, Ryanair and easyJet move from BOH to SOU.
As well as serving the Southampton and Portsmouth area, SOU is well connected by train to cities and towns like Salisbury, Reading, Basingstoke and beyond, offering customers an alternative to Heathrow and Gatwick.
The so called BCP area (Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole) is affluent. However, BOH does not have good surface transport links and it's catchment area (for example towards Weymouth and beyond) doesn't have a large population.
With SOU able to take A320s, my guess is that the airport will be attractive to easyJet as they could operate domestic services, replacing flybe, and a to Europe.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’

bennett123

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:40 pm

Christchurch to Eastleigh is 25 miles.

So the extra drive is 25 miles, for many people it will be less. For some, Southampton will be closer.

https://www.thetrainline.com/train-time ... -eastleigh

Bournemouth Airport has no train station. There is a bus, which does not run frequently and is quite slow. The only other option is to drive.

https://www.yellowbuses.co.uk/routes/ti ... n=outbound

Southampton Airport has a train station. It literally take 2 minutes to walk to the terminal. The bus journey from central Southampton is frequent, but no quicker than Bournemouth. You also have the option to drive.

https://www.southamptonairport.com/to-from/by-bus/

Bournemouth has Easyjet, Ryanair and Tui. So I doubt that many airport workers are airline employees.

Southampton also has better access.

Southampton is a major threat.

DartHerald

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:45 pm

Location doesn't seem to matter to Ryanair at least. I think they'll go wherever is cheaper. Not so sure about Easyjet. A lot will also depend on other issues, like numbers of slots available at Southampton. Too many and bigger, noisier planes and I think they'll get a lot of complaints.

TC957

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:46 pm

It's only a 164mtr extention, will still then be around 380 mtrs shorter than BOH's runway. So no, I don't think everyone will upsticks at BOH and move up the road to SOU.
I forsee easyJet doing a few more services to add to their past seasonal GVA flight, probably to the former Flybe sunspot routes plus BCN, NCE and maybe MUC.
Got to remember the SOU terminal will struggle with more than a couple of such flights at a time. Incidentally, A320's have used SOU before, Spanair used them on a regular basis, on a TFS flight that stopped at NTE for fuel uplift outbound. I have even seen an A321 there, Livingstone doing a AC Milan football charter.

8herveg
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:50 pm

If A320’s and B737’s have operated commercial flights to SOU before, why do they need the extension? Apologies if I’m missing something obvious!

TC957

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:07 pm

8herveg wrote:
If A320’s and B737’s have operated commercial flights to SOU before, why do they need the extension? Apologies if I’m missing something obvious!

Ability to take higher payloads and operate in more adverse weather conditions with an extra safety margin would be the main reason I would have thought.

8herveg
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:14 pm

TC957 wrote:
8herveg wrote:

Ability to take higher payloads and operate in more adverse weather conditions with an extra safety margin would be the main reason I would have thought.

Thanks! Makes sense.

Gingersnap

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:46 pm

I seem to remember TUI flies/flew 788s into BOH on a few select long hauls.
I can't imagine SOU will be taking 787s any time soon.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

airsmiles

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:57 pm

Bournemouth has a diverse array of aviation businesses and traffic so isn’t totally reliant upon airline traffic. As Bristol Airport has proven, poor transport links aren’t the main driver for whether passengers choose an airport or not. No one really knows what’s going to happen re: Southampton traffic so there’s not a lot of point trying to guess at this stage.

davidjohnson6

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:14 pm

Bristol's main competitor is Cardiff.... and Cardiff airport has poor public transport connections to Cardiff city centre. Apart from Cardiff, the nearest sizeable passenger airports to Bristol are a considerable distance away. For that reason, I don't think Bristol is a good way of demonstrating that public transport connections to an airport are not a factor in which airport passengers choose to use.

If you want to use public transport as a guide to how passengers might choose between Southampton and Bournemouth, I'd suggest looking at the dynamic of Birmingham v East Midlands

SOU is considerably more public-transport friendly than BOH. However, BOH with its bigger area of land will always have the advantage for those who want to leave their car at the airport while travelling.
While a car is relatively unnecessary in London, it becomes more necessary in Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex and Wiltshire. In terms of ease of access to the airport, neither airport has an overwhelming advantage across all potential passengers

PlymSpotter

Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:22 pm

I really don't see the extension making any difference - in my opinion it's an expensive and unnecessary white elephant and won't be elixir they are dreaming of.

There are only a handful of stands which can accommodate anything larger than a Q400 - that's going to make for some interesting planning when trying to attract airlines. The LDA, TORA and TODA on RWY 02 will not change, there will only be an benefit for RWY 20, so any increase is entirely dependent on the wind being in the right direction. Even on RWY 20 the LDA is highly unlikely to change (which is especially an issue for the 737 in wet conditions). And all of this is based on the working assumption that the CAA don't ultimately dig their heels in and demand fully compliant under and overshoot safety areas for the category of runway. If they did that, the recertified declared distances would be shorter than they are currently, and an EMAS isn't going to help in the case of the former.

My view is that the efforts could be better spent elsewhere in incentivising and supporting new routes and enhancing existing safety areas.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

TC957

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 am

Gingersnap wrote:
I seem to remember TUI flies/flew 788s into BOH on a few select long hauls.
I can't imagine SOU will be taking 787s any time soon.

These were cruise ship charters on behalf of P & O and Bath Travel which was Bournemouth -based before their take over by Hays.
As been mentioned, BOH has a very varied aviation scene that SOU does not. Even the Post Office, with a large depot by SOU, uses BOH for their nightly mail runs up to EMA.
I don't think SOU has much in the way of cargo handling facilities.

thegrew

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:10 pm

I think the runway extension at Southampton would make it more attractive for Easyjet especially. I also imagine it lifts most restrictions for ERJs with BA Cityflyers shifting the summer schedule there.
Interestingly Bournemouth was expanded over Southampton decades ago. The plan for Southampton was an East/West runway and a dedicated junction (6) on the M27. I believe is was blocked on noise grounds due to affluent and influential people in the Romsey area.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos