Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OB1504
Topic Author

Why did Southwest cancel the rest of their MIA flights tonight (11 Apr)?

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:26 pm

Southwest cancelled everything departing MIA after 13:00 today for a total of 13 cancellations. There’s a storm system forecast to move in around 18:00 that I’m assuming factored into the decision, but no other airline at MIA has cancelled any flights at all yet. Are they short aircraft because of the new 737 MAX issues? Are they normally this cautious about weather? This seems unusual when MIA gets bad weather all the time.

MO11

Re: Why did Southwest cancel the rest of their MIA flights tonight (11 Apr)?

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:12 pm

It is thunderstorms. FAA issued a ground stop to traffic arriving at airports within and transiting Miami Center airspace.

EVENT TIME: 11/1830 - 11/2000
FACILITIES INCLUDED: ALL
REASON: WEATHER/THUNDERSTORMS
REMARKS: GROUND STOP ALL OVERFLIGHT TRAFFIC AND DESTINATIONS WITHIN
ZMA AIRSPACE DUE TO THUNDERSTORMS.

**DESTINATIONS THAT ARE EXEMPT FROM THE GROUND STOP INCLUDE: MCO TPA
SRQ MLB LAL AND CARRIBEAN DESTINATIONS FILED OVER THE AR ROUTES.**

orlandocfi

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:15 pm

If you look at the shape and breadth of the weather affecting florida today, you can probably get a better idea why flights are getting canceled. I feel like WN is often more proactive with cancellations in order to facilitate a quick recovery, while other airlines may be reactive.
But today’s weather is impacting all airlines operating into and within florida. FR24 has been a train wreck of holding and diversions for hours.

IAHFLYR

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:17 pm

Just a wild guess here, but there have been so many delays into MIA, FLL, MCO TPA and RSW with some turning into cancellations I'd say WN decided to cancel as they'd be with crews timing out and such so they gave their passengers advance notice.

I am just home from IAH where I was to fly IAH-RSW at 0935 this morning on UA609. We got an hour delay to start then ground stop then update at 1130, then another update at 1230, then finally boarded the flight at 1305 only to get another ground stop with update at 1500. Well the crew timed out (even after extending an hour) and I decided to cancel my trip and came home. The entire area across the state has huge storms. Now my flight is supposed to depart at 1601, so will see if they found a new

The IAH-MIA 0935 departure left the gate and returned to sit and wait until 1235 when they finally left.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:26 pm

Weather. Many cancellations into MIA, FLL, PBI, MCO and RSW today so far.

asuflyer

Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:22 pm

Windshear and severe turbulence multiple aircraft are diverting to Nassau

jfklganyc

Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:25 pm

Florida is a mess with Tstorms today.

Hours of delays.

I wish my airline were as proactive as Southwest.

They like to keep people sitting in the terminal for eight hours...and then cancel when the crew times out.

Oh well...

foxecho

Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:33 pm

Just a quick look on FR24 shows a cluster....looks to me they have to Divert to the Bahamas or Key west if they cant get all the way around this line..... am I wrong?

Andrew

kbmiflyer

Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:35 pm

Looks like TPA and MCO are both starting to pick up diversions from RSW, FLL, and MIA. It does look like MIA at least is starting to open back up. AA 700 is on final

orlandocfi

Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:03 pm

kbmiflyer wrote:
Looks like TPA and MCO are both starting to pick up diversions from RSW, FLL, and MIA. It does look like MIA at least is starting to open back up. AA 700 is on final

I think AAL700 was the last one to get in. MIA is currently getting pounded. It’s been very interesting watching the planes on FR24 as the weather roils their alternate planning. ASA122 to FLL held for a while, then was going to divert to TPA, then RSW, now MCO. They will have been airborne for 7+ hours by the time this is done! It’s truly a nightmare for the cockpit crews, dispatchers, and ATC today.

Weatherwatcher1

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:15 pm

No arrivals between 5:42pm and 7:00pm at MIA demonstrates how bad the storms are.

Why did you jump to the 737MAX as the cause?

ubeema

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:24 pm

I was about to head out to airport to catch DCA-DAL at 5:30p ET when I received notification I have been rebooked tomorrow morning. The inbound never left RSW apparently

Oilman

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 pm

The poor folks on AS flying SEA-FLL were stuck on the plane for over seven hours and ended up at MCO. Right now I don’t see a recovery leg.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA ... /KSEA/KMCO

flyboy7974

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:14 am

and due to the high number of diversions today throughout Florida from early afternoon into the evening, many airports are reporting that they are out of gate space and fuel/supplies only for flights already on ground. i know for us we put out an alert no further diversions into RSW/SRQ/PBI/FLL due to this from the first wave of storms that hit TPA/MCO early in the day and then started to hit southern Florida early evening.

bigb

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:25 am

From the looks of it, FL is a mess.

trueblew

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:32 am

Oilman wrote:
The poor folks on AS flying SEA-FLL were stuck on the plane for over seven hours and ended up at MCO. Right now I don’t see a recovery leg.

Seven hours is about six and a half too many to spend on a 737. I feel for them.

FLALEFTY

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:36 am

Listening in on LiveATC.net and watching on Miamiairportcam.com, WN is beginning to move some of their diverted flights into MIA, as are other airlines. The worst of the weather has past, but there are still some smaller thunderstorms out in the Everglades that is making routing dicey. The approach controller sounds like an auctioneer trying to sort things out.

FlyingElvii

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:56 am

COVID staffing levels causing chaos on a weather day, it seems. Hundreds of tweets complaining about 9hr+ waits to get through to a Delta reservations human. Frontier rebooking some until Thursday as next available, etc.
https://twitter.com/search?q=Flight%20c ... ery&f=live

It’s not just WN....

ScottB

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:11 am

foxecho wrote:
Just a quick look on FR24 shows a cluster....looks to me they have to Divert to the Bahamas or Key west if they cant get all the way around this line..... am I wrong?

I can't imagine EYW being able to handle many diversions. There's not a whole lot of space on the ramp.

crownvic

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:09 am

MCO got its first BA A350-1000 diversion, Tampa got an A330 of Tampa Airlines hmmmm, and PBI got a 767F diversion.

cschleic

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:27 am

trueblew wrote:
Oilman wrote:

Seven hours is about six and a half too many to spend on a 737. I feel for them.

Been on the westbound FLL - SEA flight in winter, or MIA - SEA on AA, and that has pushed seven hours without delays. However today's delays and ending up at the wrong airport would be terrible.

OB1504
Topic Author

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:59 am

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
No arrivals between 5:42pm and 7:00pm at MIA demonstrates how bad the storms are.

No other airline cancelled their entire operation and if they’re short on lift it makes sense to not bother wasting airplanes on a station that’s going to be stormed out.

The cancellations stood out to me because I can’t remember another airline scrapping their entire operation at MIA in anticipation of weather before. Usually the flights come and go eventually, like JetBlue did tonight with several flights delayed until 2 AM.

Weatherwatcher1

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:11 pm

OB1504 wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

No other airline cancelled their entire operation and if they’re short on lift it makes sense to not bother wasting airplanes on a station that’s going to be stormed out.

The cancellations stood out to me because I can’t remember another airline scrapping their entire operation at MIA in anticipation of weather before. Usually the flights come and go eventually, like JetBlue did tonight with several flights delayed until 2 AM.

JetBlue’s network is scheduled with airplanes doing out and back turns from its hub. Long delays fit in their network since the plane probably wasn’t going to go somewhere else. A 6 hour delay on BOS-MIA will either cancel a later flight on the same route, or they can swap an airplane doing a RON and end the day at 2am

Southwest’s network is based on multi stop routes that crisscross the country. A 6 hour delay to MIA will delay or cancel 3-4 more flights later that in the day that don’t touch MIA. For example MIA-DEN continues to LAX, MIA-MDW continues to DCA and MIA-BWI continues to CVG-DEN-TUS. Cancelling the operation to create slack in the network is better for Southwest since a 6 hour delay on DEN-TUS because of weather in MIA won’t go over well.

Southwest built their operation around avoiding airports that see frequent delays. JetBlue built their network around dealing with delay prone airports. The result is you’ll see Southwest need to cancel more flights and JetBlue more able to accept long delays. Nothing to do with the 737 MAX

IFlyVeryLittle

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:24 pm

Saw an Alaska flight fly way south to avoid weather only to bail on MIA, turn around and fly southwest beyond Key West, then back north to divert to TPA. A very unusual day in Florida.

lat41

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Hours of delays.

They like to keep people sitting in the terminal for eight hours...and then cancel when the crew times out.

Oh well...

7 hours for me yesterday waiting for B6 from PVD to PBI. They knew several hours earlier that this flight was not going to happen but just made people angry and sent them home or to hotels much later at night than was needed..

airportugal310

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:54 pm

lat41 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Hours of delays.

Oh well...

9 hours for me yesterday waiting for B6 from PVD to PBI. They knew several hours earlier that this flight was not going to happen but just made people angry and sent them home or to hotels much later at night than was needed..

"they knew several hours earlier...."

How do YOU know this? If you knew this in advance, why didn't you bail? Or are you just assuming?

reednavy

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:58 pm

I was going to add, it was an absolute disaster here for TPA & PIE as there was an almost total stoppage for traffic for nearly 4 continuous hours due to continued thunderstorms that was hundreds of miles long and went the full length of the Peninsula. There were several 6+ hours delayed flights from both Tampa Bay area airports.

Oilman

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:06 pm

I see a bunch of flights to Miami canceled this morning. For example, the first few Delta flights on ATL-MIA canceled. Was there more bad weather this morning?

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:18 pm

Possibly plane wasn’t there due to last night’s divert or cancellation. No weather this morning.

evank516

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:50 pm

ScottB wrote:
foxecho wrote:

I can't imagine EYW being able to handle many diversions. There's not a whole lot of space on the ramp.

Nor a runway large enough to accommodate most aircraft.

lat41

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:51 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
lat41 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Hours of delays.

Oh well...

9 hours for me yesterday waiting for B6 from PVD to PBI. They knew several hours earlier that this flight was not going to happen but just made people angry and sent them home or to hotels much later at night than was needed..

"they knew several hours earlier...."

How do YOU know this? If you knew this in advance, why didn't you bail? Or are you just assuming?
Just who are YOU?
Earlier in the evening when it became apparent that no crew would be available, B6 should have scrubbed. Passengers hung around for nothing into the night while some could have rebooked what little was left on this heavy week. Thank you, my information is varied and reliable.

ScottB

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:53 pm

evank516 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

You could probably land an A321 at EYW in a pinch with the runway being dry and (necessarily) fuel being low. But the passengers are going up to Miami by bus since you're not getting back out unless you're empty.

PI4EVR

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:01 pm

A neighbor had friends flying yesterday morning on Silver Airways Columbia SC to Tampa. The flight diverted to FLL and a connecting flight FLL-TPA turned out to be 6+ hours late if it subsequently could depart at near midnight. Don't know if it flew or canceled.
The passengers rented a car and drove to Tampa last night, laughing as they should have just driven from CAE.

OB1504
Topic Author

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:48 pm

Oilman wrote:
I see a bunch of flights to Miami canceled this morning. For example, the first few Delta flights on ATL-MIA canceled. Was there more bad weather this morning?

The weather was fine so I assume that the cancellations were because of all the aircraft piled up at MIA. The E satellite looked like JFK with all the JetBlue tails, and there were Delta planes all over G and H and United planes all over H and J.

Looks like Southwest made the right call.

steveAUS

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:14 pm

I flew AUS-MIA on AA yesterday. Flight was just about boarded when they kicked us off the plane with an announcement of a delay of at least 4 hours. Fortunately, the delay wasn't much more than 5 hrs and the entire crew was local to MIA and got extensions. When we got to MIA, the rebooking line stretched almost the entirety of the west wing of terminal D, from D37 area to D50...lots of miserable faces in that line.

I especially feel bad for the roughly ~30 ppl on my original flight who opted to rebook for the two AM departures the next day...only to have those flights canceled as well. Rough!

evank516

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:44 pm

ScottB wrote:
evank516 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

You could probably land an A321 at EYW in a pinch with the runway being dry and (necessarily) fuel being low. But the passengers are going up to Miami by bus since you're not getting back out unless you're empty.

Which isn't worth it.

Weatherwatcher1

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:37 am

evank516 wrote:
ScottB wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Which isn't worth it.

I’d be surprised if EYW is an alternate for an A321. Freeport, Nassau, George Town, etc in the Bahamas have longer runways. An international diversion like many northbound planes did are probably safer than key west

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos