Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Frontier Announces ANC/DRO/GJT/FCA

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:21 pm

Frontier continues expanding, this time with four additional destinations: https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-a ... mmer-2021/

- 2x weekly DEN-ANC
- 4x weekly DEN-DRO, 2x weekly LAS-DRO
- 3x weekly DEN-GJT
- 3x weekly DEN-FCA

More new routes:

- DFW-ONT/SLC
- ORD-SLC

I believe ANC is a returning destination from a few years ago, but FCA is new. Unsure about GJT/DRO.

Frontier14

Re: Frontier Announces ANC/DRO/GJT/FCA

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:25 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Frontier continues expanding, this time with four additional destinations: https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-a ... mmer-2021/

- 2x weekly DEN-ANC
- 3x weekly DEN-GJT
- 3x weekly DEN-FCA

More new routes:

- DFW-ONT/SLC
- ORD-SLC

I believe ANC is a returning destination from a few years ago, but FCA is new. Unsure about GJT/DRO.

DRO was a previous F9 destination as was Grand Jct (not certain on how many years ago though).

Frontier 14

joeblow10

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:27 pm

Frontier14 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

- 2x weekly DEN-ANC
- 3x weekly DEN-GJT
- 3x weekly DEN-FCA

More new routes:

- DFW-ONT/SLC
- ORD-SLC

DRO was a previous F9 destination as was Grand Jct (not certain on how many years ago though).

Frontier 14

It’s been over a decade - both were Q400 routes on the old Lynx Aviation under the old Frontier. Will be interesting to watch! - GJT is interesting - is it just to plug folks into the broader system? Doesn’t seem to be much of a “tourist” draw unlike the other 3

Midwestindy

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:37 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

- 2x weekly DEN-ANC
- 3x weekly DEN-GJT
- 3x weekly DEN-FCA

More new routes:

- DFW-ONT/SLC
- ORD-SLC

Frontier 14

It’s been over a decade - both were Q400 routes on the old Lynx Aviation under the old Frontier. Will be interesting to watch! - GJT is interesting - is it just to plug folks into the broader system? Doesn’t seem to be much of a “tourist” draw unlike the other 3

GJT is the closest airport to Arches National Park.
ORD & IND

AA & DL

alasizon

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:44 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:

Frontier 14

GJT is also the viable alternate to ASE and the surrounding area for those without CR7s to get into ASE. Despite the high yielding nature of ASE, some summer tourists are still cheap and are likely to take F9 to save a few bucks.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:48 pm

I love the GJT area. The western slope has a very cool vibe and way less crazy than the areas on the Front Range.
GJT serves a wide area, has a ton of outdoor recreation areas in the region. World-class mountain biking.
Also, the closest real airport to Moab. (Arches, Canyonlands NP)

DLASFlyer

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:52 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:

Frontier 14

Not any more. CNY is much closer and served by Delta and United.

Midwestindy

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:04 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Not any more. CNY is much closer and served by Delta and United.

Good catch I always forget about CNY, looks like DL resumes in May.

That being said, CNY will only be up to 3 total flights a day this summer, vs. GJT's network of G4, DL, UA, AA, F9, & XP. So GJT remains a key gateway to Arches.
ORD & IND

AA & DL

737max8

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:14 pm

How are there even going to be enough rental cars to support all of this traffic to leisure/outdoor destinations???
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:17 pm

The outdoor lesiure markets are booming. They are the replacements for the business routes that won't need seats for a while. ANC, DRO, GJT, SLC these are all for the outdoors leisure travel. Frontier wants to get in before the legacies boost. Plenty of space to camp and things , they can handle more seats. SLC and DEN even as we approach the tail ends of ski season usually quiet down , not this year planes are packed and look that way thru spring. Those were the least two down hubs during covid , I bet we see those hit records this summer

durangomac

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:20 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

- 2x weekly DEN-ANC
- 3x weekly DEN-GJT
- 3x weekly DEN-FCA

More new routes:

- DFW-ONT/SLC
- ORD-SLC

Frontier 14

DRO did get 319/320 service and was scheduled to get 319 service from LAS but it was pulled at the last minute.

alohashirts

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:24 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:

Frontier 14

No it’s not. CNY is. UA flies in from DEN and DL is starting in from SLC soon.

Midwestindy

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:29 pm

737max8 wrote:
How are there even going to be enough rental cars to support all of this traffic to leisure/outdoor destinations???

Not sure about other destinations but I tried to get a rental car at BZN for June, and Avis and Enterprise were already sold out. Hertz was $400/day....

Keep in mind we are still months away from peak season.

BZN's 2021 summer schedule is already nearly 70% larger than their record 2019.
ORD & IND

AA & DL

alasizon

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:32 pm

737max8 wrote:

There won't be unless the companies start investing in additional inventory. As recent issues in Florida and Phoenix have shown, inventory is just too scarce driving prices sky high and making availability a problem. That is in bigger cities, the smaller mountain cities will have it worse as there is a longer average length of rental and less room for rental cars.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

alggag

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:35 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
737max8 wrote:

Not sure about other destinations but I tried to get a rental car at BZN for June, and Avis and Enterprise were already sold out. Hertz was $400/day....

Keep in mind we are still months away from peak season.

BZN's 2021 summer schedule is already nearly 70% larger than their record 2019.

I booked to BZN on the day WN announced service and got a car in June for $50/day and I thought that was already a bit pricey. Similar story with lodging anywhere close to the parks.

MIflyer12

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:25 pm

alohashirts wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

No it’s not. CNY is. UA flies in from DEN and DL is starting in from SLC soon.

CNY is certainly closer. It lacks much for services. There's no public transportation from CNY into Moab - and you'll want a car for Arches and Canyonlands NPs, anyway. GJT had 20X the passenger count of CNY last year.

gdavis003

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:30 pm

Durango is a neat place. Went out there a few years ago in the summer and flew on UA via DEN. There was a plan to expand the terminal that was released in 2019, but I haven't heard any updates since then. In 2019, it was 4 gates, two are in the actual terminal building (UA's gates) and the other two are basically under a temporary tent structure (AA's gates). It's quite small, so I do wonder how the terminal will be able to accommodate a mainline aircraft and a substantial increase in regional jet service as well with DL returning and an expansion from UA and AA too.

Pi7472000

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 pm

This is great! I just booked DEN to GJT for 30 roundtrip. I love the Colorado National Monument, Ouray, and the Grand Mesa in the summer. Plus there is some wine tasting in Western CO. I love UA, but was 450 roundtrip for the same dates from DEN. Much easier to fly than deal with I70.

usdcaguy

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:18 pm

Great. Now if they could just learn how to build appropriate connections through DEN, I'd be ecstatic.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:41 pm

alasizon wrote:
737max8 wrote:

There won't be unless the companies start investing in additional inventory. As recent issues in Florida and Phoenix have shown, inventory is just too scarce driving prices sky high and making availability a problem. That is in bigger cities, the smaller mountain cities will have it worse as there is a longer average length of rental and less room for rental cars.

Rental cars are going to be a big challenge at many of these locations this summer. You pretty much have to rent a car at most of these destinations.
Rental car companies sold off huge portions of their fleet in the downturn for cash to stay afloat.
Now there are big supply chain disruptions in the automotive industry which means with all the capacity constraints less cars available to go to fleet sales as they can barely keep up with consumer demands.

There may be cheap flights into some of these places, but you will pay a lot of lodging and rental cars, if you can even find availability during peak summer.

32andBelow

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
alasizon wrote:
737max8 wrote:

Rental cars are going to be a big challenge at many of these locations this summer. You pretty much have to rent a car at most of these destinations.
Rental car companies sold off huge portions of their fleet in the downturn for cash to stay afloat.
Now there are big supply chain disruptions in the automotive industry which means with all the capacity constraints less cars available to go to fleet sales as they can barely keep up with consumer demands.

There may be cheap flights into some of these places, but you will pay a lot of lodging and rental cars, if you can even find availability during peak summer.

Alaska at least has a massive bus fleet that’s usually used by the cruise industry.

Chuska

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:15 am

durangomac wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:

Frontier 14

DRO did get 319/320 service and was scheduled to get 319 service from LAS but it was pulled at the last minute.

DRO also had E190's in 2012 before service was upgraded to Airbuses. I have F9's last day in DRO as Oct. 25, 2014. I remember the announcement of LAS service that never happened. Any idea when that was? I'm guessing in 2015.

MavyWavyATR

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:27 am

Gonna be interesting to see if they can make ANC-DEN work given the high density of their cabins.

32andBelow

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:44 am

MavyWavyATR wrote:
Gonna be interesting to see if they can make ANC-DEN work given the high density of their cabins.

They previously flew their for many years

acecrackshot

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:55 am

I think all of these are well thought out additions.

Sancho99504

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:22 am

32andBelow wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:

They previously flew their for many years

Yes, with a lot less seats, IFE and better service.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

durangomac

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm

Chuska wrote:
durangomac wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

DRO also had E190's in 2012 before service was upgraded to Airbuses. I have F9's last day in DRO as Oct. 25, 2014. I remember the announcement of LAS service that never happened. Any idea when that was? I'm guessing in 2015.

The LAS service was while they were also flying the 319/320's in, I think it was for the spring of 2014 or late 2013.

durangomac

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:37 pm

durangomac wrote:
Chuska wrote:
durangomac wrote:

The LAS service was while they were also flying the 319/320's in, I think it was for the spring of 2014 or late 2013.

Found it, it was for Oct 2012, announced in June 2012 and dropped in August 2012.

BAINY3

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:47 pm

Frontier14 wrote:

For what it's worth, DRO, GJT, and FCA were served by the old, old Frontier (FL) back in the day as well. (I'm aware this is not the same airline.)

alohashirts

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:24 pm

ORD-SLC was also flown by F9 a few years back.

Drucocu

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:15 am

Guys, can we please put city/region names into posts like these?
Just like these backwater places nobody in Europe has ever heard about, let alone seen airport codes for, we do not expect you to know regional places nobody knows or cares about like EIN, WMI, IEV, TSF, etc (which are all big secondary airports to the main areas they serve).

Let's be a bit considerate and make googling a never heard of place a bit easier instead of making me go through multiple Google searches :)

BA744PHX

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:24 am

Drucocu wrote:
Just like these backwater places nobody in Europe has ever heard about, let alone seen airport codes for, we do not expect you to know regional places nobody knows or cares about like EIN, WMI, IEV, TSF, etc (which are all big secondary airports to the main areas they serve).

Let's be a bit considerate and make googling a never heard of place a bit easier instead of making me go through multiple Google searches :)

You won't get many favorable responses to your request... LOL plus google just makes it easier.

SkyVoice

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:14 am

Drucocu wrote:

Or, you can use the website that I use all the time. Here's the link . . .https://www.avcodes.co.uk/default.asp
"Tough times never last. Tough people do." - Dr. Robert H. Schuller

PatrickZ80

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 pm

737max8 wrote:

Typically American to immediately think about a rental car as the way to get to your final destination from the Airport, Europeans would first consider other means of transport before even considering a rental car.

Is there no public transport in these places? Likely there's a bus line that runs along the airport which you could take to get to your hotel. And any popular leisure/outdoor destinations would have bus lines serving them as well, wouldn't they?

America needs the European mentality when it comes to public transport, then rental cars would become obsolete.

sprxUSA

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:43 pm

No we don't get taxes enough to have public transport in all these places. GJT, ANC do though. Ir did last time I was either place.
Is it so bad that Americans want to have a transport mode (rental car) that is on their own schedule and goes where they want and don't want to have to travel with other people? Even the second choice would be a family member ride orobably. Plus, most European are so much smaller its easier to link every little town with a major location.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

Cubsrule

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:26 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
737max8 wrote:

Typically American to immediately think about a rental car as the way to get to your final destination from the Airport, Europeans would first consider other means of transport before even considering a rental car.

A lot of these national parks really aren't practical for public transport because they are quite large and/or isolated. So even if there were a bus that went to the gate, that wouldn't allow folks to see what's worth seeing.

Even for smaller, more isolated sites, it's hard to see how public transport would work. We took the kids to Dinosaur National Monument a couple of summers ago. It's pretty compact and actually has tram (IINM) transport within some of the park. But it's a slog of a drive from Salt Lake City, and the nearest city (Vernal, Utah) is not of a size where it would have transit even in a more transit-focused part of the world.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Aliqiout

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:48 pm

Drucocu wrote:

Maybe you should be considerate by not saying that no one cares about places they obviously do care about. Something that his obscure and uninteresting to you may be of great interest to others.

It's easier to Google than to spell out airports every time. Eventually you will recognise at least 95% of the airports posted.

spinotter

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:00 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
No we don't get taxes enough to have public transport in all these places. GJT, ANC do though. Ir did last time I was either place.
Is it so bad that Americans want to have a transport mode (rental car) that is on their own schedule and goes where they want and don't want to have to travel with other people? Even the second choice would be a family member ride orobably. Plus, most European are so much smaller its easier to link every little town with a major location.

Yes, it is very bad if there is no public transportation at all.

SL1200MK2

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:47 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
737max8 wrote:

Is there no public transport in these places? Likely there's a bus line that runs along the airport which you could take to get to your hotel. And any popular leisure/outdoor destinations would have bus lines serving them as well, wouldn't they?

America needs the European mentality when it comes to public transport, then rental cars would become obsolete.

It’s very possible that Americans did in-fact consider other modes of transport, realized there are none others and here we are discussing it.

Pontius

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:01 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
737max8 wrote:

There are 731,000 people in Alaska, approximately 1/90th the population density of the rest of the United States. No. There isn't much mass transit.

32andBelow

Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:13 am

Pontius wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
737max8 wrote:

There are 731,000 people in Alaska, approximately 1/90th the population density of the rest of the United States. No. There isn't much mass transit.

Uh there’s tons of tour operators

luckyone

Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:07 am

SL1200MK2 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
737max8 wrote:

It’s very possible that Americans did in-fact consider other modes of transport, realized there are none others and here we are discussing it.

A typically European assumption that European geographic size and population density automatically can be transposed to areas that are quite unlike Europe. Europeans need to actually spend more time in America (or Australia for that matter) other than its (terrific) large cities. Now that we’ve all got our noses out of joint, please use a map. I’ve met a great many Europeans who are just as bad at geography as Americans.
Last edited by luckyone on Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

luckyone

Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:10 am

32andBelow wrote:
Pontius wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

How long do you think people are willing to spend on a bus going back and forth from wherever they’re based? Also, tours do not facilitate individual activities such as hikes or camping.

32andBelow

Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:20 am

luckyone wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Pontius wrote:

How long do you think people are willing to spend on a bus going back and forth from wherever they’re based? Also, tours do not facilitate individual activities such as hikes or camping.

Idk there’s like a million princess busses going all around the state every summer. There are sprinter vans that take people on all sorts of tours and hikes.

luckyone

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:23 am

32andBelow wrote:
luckyone wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Idk there’s like a million princess busses going all around the state every summer. There are sprinter vans that take people on all sorts of tours and hikes.

Yes but those are usually one and done out and back from the cruise terminal that people do once, maybe twice during a vacation within the time allotted during a port stop. How do you string all those together into one tour in a place as big as Alaska or parts of the American West?

32andBelow

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:33 am

luckyone wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Yes but those are usually one and done out and back from the cruise terminal that people do once, maybe twice during a vacation within the time allotted during a port stop. How do you string all those together into one tour in a place as big as Alaska or parts of the American West?

No after the cruise they go on multi day tour thrips to Denali and throughout mainland Alaska. There is also a train

adv40624

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:28 am

I cannot wait to see United Express have some competition on the DEN-GJT route. I have customers in Grand Junction and have flown this route out of Denver many times. It is only about 220 miles by car and normally less than a 45 minute flight. I just attempted to book a ticket for May today and the airfare on United Express is $519.00RT. I have flown to Europe for less money then a ticket to GJT can cost. In the summer I usually just drive it, as it is a great scenic drive. The winter is another story with ski traffic on I-70 and the roads can be a nightmare. Welcome Frontier and I hope this flight makes it year around.

MIflyer12

Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:33 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

You really, really need some lessons in geography and U.S. population density. Were it the poster who provided the Alaska map overlayed on the US-48 also included provided the Netherlands, England/Scotland, and Germany for comparison.

Aliqiout

Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:12 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

You really, really need some lessons in geography and U.S. population density. Were it the poster who provided the Alaska map overlayed on the US-48 also included provided the Netherlands, England/Scotland, and Germany for comparison.

Geography is a huge challenge in places like Alaska and CNY, and outsidebthe big citites public transportarion will never be as convenient in North America as in Europe, but there are many places where public transit can be improved. Places like SAF, CLL, and FAI could easily develop a public transportation option to the places most visitors want to go upon arrival.

737max8

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:23 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
737max8 wrote:

Uh.....I would use public transportation if it existed.

My comment was based on the fact that people may not be able to book these flights if they can't get anywhere when they arrive.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos