Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TC957
Topic Author

Sri Lankan - no LR narrowbodies for us.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:59 am

At this weeks CAPA live event, UL's CEO Vipula Gunatilleka stated he has no interest in ordering new generation long-range narrowbodies in any fleet renewal.
I find that surprising as I would have thought the A321XLR would have been ideal for opening up new destinations and developing new tourist markets to Sri Lanka.
I guess the current dispute UL has with Airbus has affected that thinking.

cedarjet

Re: Sri Lankan - no LR narrowbodies for us.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 am

They use narrowbodies on medium haul as it is, I’ve flown on A321s Persian Gulf to Colombo and Singapore to Colombo. Really nice airline to fly with btw. I can list every one of my flights with them because they were all so memorable
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

TC957
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:02 am

cedarjet wrote:
They use narrowbodies on medium haul as it is, I’ve flown on A321s Persian Gulf to Colombo and Singapore to Colombo. Really nice airline to fly with btw. I can list every one of my flights with them because they were all so memorable

Yes exactly, so I would have thought the introduction of A321XLR's would be a simple move to make given their existing experience with their current fleet including NEO's.

VHOZ

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:17 am

TC957 wrote:
At this weeks CAPA live event, UL's CEO Vipula Gunatilleka stated he has no interest in ordering new generation long-range narrowbodies in any fleet renewal.
I find that surprising as I would have thought the A321XLR would have been ideal for opening up new destinations and developing new tourist markets to Sri Lanka.

There is no money to order anything in the immediate future. They don't have any unique ground breaking tourist destination markets to open up either. Other than LHR where they don't have competition their main competitors on routes where they can shake up are SQ and EK. They are not going to have that much success againts them by deploying a narrowbody on LR routes (SYD, MLB etc).

Polot

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:20 am

To be honest the XLR does not open up many new markets from CMB for UL vs the standard Neo. You are not reaching the east coast of Australia with the XLR (CMB-SYD is 4730nm...that is the XLR’s still air marketing range aka not real world range). You are not reaching Western Europe except maybe parts of Germany. You are just going further into Africa (no market) and making northeast Asia more reliable.

VSMUT

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:19 pm

Polot wrote:
To be honest the XLR does not open up many new markets from CMB for UL vs the standard Neo. You are not reaching the east coast of Australia with the XLR (CMB-SYD is 4730nm...that is the XLR’s still air marketing range aka not real world range). You are not reaching Western Europe except maybe parts of Germany. You are just going further into Africa (no market) and making northeast Asia more reliable.

I was thinking the same. Around 10:30 to the UK, not accounting for headwind, is just too much. Just taking the winds today, it would take almost 12 hours. The A321XLR will be fine for UK to India (Northern and western India for the most part), but Sri Lanka is another 2-2,5 hours flying time.

TC957
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:57 pm

There should be good new opportunities in China, Russia and eastern Europe to open up. The places Phuket and the Maldives get visitors from.

Devilfish

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:19 pm

TC957 wrote:
At this weeks CAPA live event, UL's CEO Vipula Gunatilleka stated he has no interest in ordering new generation long-range narrowbodies in any fleet renewal. I find that surprising as I would have thought the A321XLR would have been ideal for opening up new destinations and developing new tourist markets to Sri Lanka.

Narrowbodies NO, but he didn't rule out new-generation, long-range widebodies either. I guess pricing would be competitive with the much in-demand XLR... :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign:

TC957 wrote:

Post #123 of this thread pertains -- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1439955&p=21991235&hilit=sri+lanka+a330+300#p21991235 In any case, it's something an add-on order for a coupla A338s might smooth out. :spin: I had said it before, UL's livery would look fantastic on those!

VHOZ wrote:
There is no money to order anything in the immediate future. They don't have any unique ground breaking tourist destination markets to open up either. Other than LHR where they don't have competition their main competitors on routes where they can shake up are SQ and EK. They are not going to have that much success againts them by deploying a narrowbody on LR routes (SYD, MLB etc).

Polot wrote:

Maybe no money and no traffic -- but just to illustrate what could be reached with an A338 from CMB...with AKL probably at the limit of the 242 tonner's range..... :arrow:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=CMB-ACC/AK ... /SYD&DU=nm
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

behramjee

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:59 pm

The A321Neo-XLR's beneficial flying range is for airlines with a high yield passenger base who cannot fill a wide body year round on selected routes as one cannot make money flying a narrow body with low yield ethnic / leisure pax on 8-10 hour missions.

UL's prime passenger demographic is VFR, leisure tourism and labour (for GCC/KUL primarily). Taking this into account, the UL CEO is correct in saying that there is no need for the airline to order the XLR version.

rukundo

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:27 am

Polot wrote:

SriLankan Airlines opens Colombo-Nairobi. For the moment only flights in April 2021, May 2021 and June 2021

https://twitter.com/flysrilankan/status ... 1796516869

If i m right SriLankan Airlines has replaced Mihin Lanka on the Colombo Seychelles route, when this letter has collapsed
Rwanda Aviation

DL220MSP

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:35 am

Their standard 321s seem to be sufficient for them.

chonetsao

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:47 am

Sri Lankan has a big regional network (GCC, Southeast Asia and Indian continents) but not big on long haul. Its own tourist capacity does not support mass tourists from richer East Asia like China, Japan or Korea. The infrastructure is seriously lacking. There are more international standard hotel rooms on Koh Samui and Phuket in Thailand than Sri Lanka. So Sri Lankan does not need A321LR/XLR for East Asia secondary city flying. It has a partner namely Cathay Pacific for that and can use BKK as a transfer hub. It also has widebody aircrafts doing the non-stop flying from major cities.

Sri Lankan will find the attractiveness of A321LR/XLR when Sri Lanka as a country can have the infrastructure and tourism capacity that attracts people who would normally go to Langkawi, Bali or Phuket. Otherwise the current operation does not require the niche aircrafts like A321LR/XLR.

A320B737NGCapt

Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:09 pm

Apparently they are on the hunt to replace their 7 A332’s with either A330neo or A350. Apparently this was mentions when the CEO spoke at Routes Reconnected event.

And before you start yes I know! https://simpleflying.com/srilankan-airl ... -interest/

Breathe

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:08 pm

A320B737NGCapt wrote:
Apparently they are on the hunt to replace their 7 A332’s with either A330neo or A350. Apparently this was mentions when the CEO spoke at Routes Reconnected event.

And before you start yes I know! https://simpleflying.com/srilankan-airl ... -interest/

If anyone is familiar with politics in South Asian, this shouldn't be surprising news if true! :roll: :lol:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos