Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pi7472000

Re: United adding seatback IFE - AVOD to older narrow body aircraft

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:05 pm

ClipperMonsoon wrote:
If you wanna watch TV or play games, stay at home. If flying isn't enough entertainment for you, I dont know what is, if you can't put your phone down for 3, 4, 5 hours without complaining, you are just looking for something to complain about....just my opinion:/

You could say the same thing about any situation. Why even own technology?!? There are so many things you could be doing at home as well then being online.

Glad to see United is putting customer first like Delta has been doing for a while. American has a long ways to go to catch up to United and Delta in terms of service and customer care in the sky.

ClipperMonsoon

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:10 pm

Im only talking about aviation, last time i checked, this was Airliners.net, in todays world, UA seems to be addressing some of its issues with its customers, and their lack of patience, Nice move UA
The true Queen of the Skies the Boeing 707-321B

LCDFlight

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:22 am

N649DL wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
Just as with cars, PTV are very important to customer perceptions and customer experience. Plus, the technology is cheaper, better and more reliable than ever before.

I will even point out PTV are a potential source of advertising revenue. Airline passengers are among the best demographics to advertisers you could possibly imagine. For example, Vail could advertise to passengers going to Rocky Mountain states.

I predict that IFE in the future *might* be ad free in premium class, except specific, ultra exclusive ad messages. But it will not be ad free in Y.

And I was just thinking about this: You know damn well UA is going to go to town with having a ton of advertising in Y on their new AVOD systems. I envision it much like the frequency of YouTube ad's for someone who doesn't pay for the premium subscription. And it won't be just United Credit Card Ads, think of the print ads you see in Hemispheres Magazine cutting in with commercials.

Exactly, isn't this a slam dunk business case? It has to be. Those print magazines were stodgy, the same Karass Negotiation system and Dr. Athena's pheromones ads. The same "best plastic surgeon in Houston" type ads. I think they could do a little better. There has to be money in screen time in front of THOSE passengers. The household income that flies UA on the average day is enough to melt the sun.

WashtubFields

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:55 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Just as with cars, PTV are very important to customer perceptions and customer experience. Plus, the technology is cheaper, better and more reliable than ever before.

I will even point out PTV are a potential source of advertising revenue. Airline passengers are among the best demographics to advertisers you could possibly imagine. For example, Vail could advertise to passengers going to Rocky Mountain states.

I predict that IFE in the future *might* be ad free in premium class, except specific, ultra exclusive ad messages. But it will not be ad free in Y.

i work in advertising, airlines are a great advertising channel because their are a captive audience (and I use captive as a double-entendre).

But that isn't where they really are valuable to advertisers. It is the data they sit on for dispostion. I.e., they know where someone is flying, with who, maybe where they are staying, price paid, etc. Data is the golemine, selling the actually inventory is so tactical and something a middle-man deals with. No ad agency or client really, media companies sure.

Like you mentioned vail, on rocky mountain flights. Good thinking.

I can go one step further, and on your borrding pass, give you a coupon the the bar at your hotel. I sat through that pitch, interesting but hard to make part of a campaign, it is kinda one-off direct response.

and one more thing, advertising on the tv is nice, but again the real money is in the data. Just sell it to a data company. You could make more money selling data on passanger behavior, but this is a larger arguement I have.

ikramerica

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:38 pm

AirKevin wrote:
avier wrote:
Can't believe in a developed country, people still get excited over a screen. I wouldn't choose a cafe, restaurant, or doctors clinic simply because they have more TV monitors flashing stuff around.

The many times I even flew long haul, on premium airlines like SQ, QF, EK etc, I didn't even touch their screen or unpack the headphones they provided. I just wanted to eat and sleep or read. However, I still understand the need for a PTV on long haul sectors. But short-haul is questionable.

In the 2000's, when PTV's were still a novelty and large screen PED's weren't common in one's life, it sure was exciting and cool to see seat-back IFE's on planes, especially cool on a domestic sector. That did give off a vibe of a more premium feel. But now, with multiple HD, 4K, 8K and whatever personal devices and screens there is in one's lives everywhere, finding a screen on a plane for a domestic flight doesn't feel all that exciting or a specific reason to fly on that airline.

The argument of kids is probably the lamest reason I can see for an airline having PTV's on domestic flights. On a daily basis, what % of flyers are such, that is kids flying. On a regular day, I'm sure these are adults, mostly travelling for work/lesiure- without kids , that constitute the largest chunk of flyers. And with most such having a PED, would it be an important factor for them to choose an airline that has a seat-back screen ? So one must ask what is it that this segment of flyers would want.

The streaming IFE to ones PED'S (with charging ports on seats) is a much better option. Allows one to view stuff on their own device, without touching a screen used by many others. (and I'm sure in a post-covid world, some people are going to carry on few good hygiene practices we all learnt in the pandemic i.e to try and minimize contact with common touch points in public.)

It almost feels like the lines between the US based FSC's, LCC's and ULCC's has blurred so much, that this looks like a desperate and last resort to try and differentiate their product-
i.e by simply installing a silly screen.

I'll give you my experience from the last time I flew in September of 2019. I flew a United Boeing 737-800 from Orlando to Denver, no power ports at my seat, so I couldn't use my laptop, as it wouldn't have lasted the entire flight. I later flew on a Boeing 757-300 to San Diego. Don't remember if it had power ports, but I ended up using my laptop for this flight. On the return trip, I flew a Boeing 737-800 to Houston in first class, and although there were power ports, they didn't work. The result was my laptop battery got drained and I couldn't use it for the entire flight. When we landed in Houston, we ended up trying to recharge both our laptops before jumping onto the next flight. The last flight was on a Boeing 737-900, and the power ports on this one also didn't work, so my laptop quit working shortly after the start of the meal service. So having a portable electronic device does no good if you have limited battery power with no way to keep it charged.

Maybe you need a MacBook? LOL

I agree. Plugging in to broken power ports, oar if they work, having to disconnect so neighbors can get in and out, not having your tray free to eat or do anything else, all reasons to hate BYOD.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ikramerica

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:40 pm

WashtubFields wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

i work in advertising, airlines are a great advertising channel because their are a captive audience (and I use captive as a double-entendre).

But that isn't where they really are valuable to advertisers. It is the data they sit on for dispostion. I.e., they know where someone is flying, with who, maybe where they are staying, price paid, etc. Data is the golemine, selling the actually inventory is so tactical and something a middle-man deals with. No ad agency or client really, media companies sure.

I can go one step further, and on your borrding pass, give you a coupon the the bar at your hotel. I sat through that pitch, interesting but hard to make part of a campaign, it is kinda one-off direct response.

and one more thing, advertising on the tv is nice, but again the real money is in the data. Just sell it to a data company. You could make more money selling data on passanger behavior, but this is a larger arguement I have.

So everyone is getting bent out of shape about cell phone tracking, but in order to fly on an aircraft, you must allow the airline to tell marketing firms who you are, where you are going and when? Or don't fly...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

BigPlaneGuy13

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 pm

Full disclosure: I am Gen-Z and an AA frequent flier. I think that for us younger generations there are a lot of bottlenecks with seatback IFE that make it less than necessary when selecting a flight. First of all, Gen-Z are incredibly price conscious. So, folks that would pay more for a DL/UA flight just so they have a seatback screen would certainly be in the minority. Second of all, nobody in my generation carries wired earbuds. We all use bluetooth. So, not being able to use our own earbuds is a drawback. The throwaway earbuds the airlines (sometimes) provide for free aren't up to snuff. And that's if you can get them. We also carry our own devices. I am on the older end of Gen-Z, but the younger ones were literally raised on iPads. Because of this, I really think AA's positioning with device holders and universal power AND usb ports are great. It frees up the tray table. I said it upthread, but the gangster move would be for AA to be the first of the Big 4 to make wifi free. I would much rather have access to my Netflix library than be served up a lesser selection on a seatback with poor screen resolution. The responsiveness and computing power of the IFE pales to that of a regular iPad or laptop. And our generation notices stuff like that.

While I do not discount other's opinions, I don't think AA is digging a grave without screens. I was on a Kodiak 737 last month and everyone raved about how "new" the plane felt. People like the device holders too. All we Gen-Z'ers care about is getting from place to place as cheap as possible because we don't have disposable income like the older generations have. I also like to look at consumer behavior of my generation (I have a marketing degree). Think of Starbucks: tens of thousands of people go there daily to get work done. Myself included. All they do is offer good reliable wifi. We bring our own devices. It works great. We sit there for hours. If Starbucks had public computers it would not stop me from bringing my own devices to use. I think that model will work well in the future and I think AA is on the right side of this one.

Seatback IFE is a "nice to have" but certainly not a necessity. Gen-Z has grown up on their phones. We are fine using them for flying too. Why? Because our airpods already connect and the screen is big enough and high enough quality to entertain us. Just make wifi totally free (which apparently will be the norm one day) and we wouldn't think twice about IFE.

However, one counterpoint: AA has somewhat admitted in their latest route planning that IFE does make an experience more "premium." Take a look at their use of widebodies on routes between MIA-JFK/LAX. They basically said that IFE makes for a more enjoyable experience. So, who's to say?

Because of this, my opinion is that UA should stick to its guns. Last time I was on a UA flight with seatback screens they were so ugly and outdated. Who wants to constantly have to keep up with that? I sure wouldn't.

QXAS

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:30 pm

SXDFC wrote:
Does this also mean they might be doing a BSI retrofit on their older 737s?

As someone who works crew on the 737, it’s amazing to see the difference. I’ve worked a 7 year old 737-800 with the BSI, and the pax think it’s a brand new airplane.

One would hope. I’m certainly in the minority but I will pay a premium to get on a BSI aircraft, or the homemade equivalent such as on the DL busses and 75Ds. I just paid an extra $40 round trip to be on a DL 75D rather than a DL738. BSI is a huge upgrade for the cabin even if the mood lighting isn’t being used.

For me PTVs are nice to have, but they’re the last thing I think about when booking. The only feature I use is the moving map. Flight time, stops, equipment, cost, and airline are all more important to me. I prefer to use my IPad and Bluetooth headphones. I haven’t owned wired headphones or earbuds for years and the ones passed out on the plane are less than stellar, even in business class.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

Pi7472000

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:52 pm

However, one counterpoint: AA has somewhat admitted in their latest route planning that IFE does make an experience more "premium." Take a look at their use of widebodies on routes between MIA-JFK/LAX. They basically said that IFE makes for a more enjoyable experience. So, who's to say?

Because of this, my opinion is that UA should stick to its guns. Last time I was on a UA flight with seatback screens they were so ugly and outdated. Who wants to constantly have to keep up with that? I sure wouldn't.[/quote]

If Gen Z is looking for cheapest flights maybe that is the market AA is going for. UA and DL will be able to capture the premium market with their offerings. I def. am willing to pay more to fly Delta over AA as their planes are so much more comfortable than AA and the customer service is better. I guess each airline is looking to serve different markets. It is nice to see United trying to emulate Delta.

NYCVIE

Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:30 pm

BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:
Full disclosure: I am Gen-Z and an AA frequent flier. I think that for us younger generations there are a lot of bottlenecks with seatback IFE that make it less than necessary when selecting a flight. First of all, Gen-Z are incredibly price conscious. So, folks that would pay more for a DL/UA flight just so they have a seatback screen would certainly be in the minority. Second of all, nobody in my generation carries wired earbuds. We all use bluetooth. So, not being able to use our own earbuds is a drawback. The throwaway earbuds the airlines (sometimes) provide for free aren't up to snuff. And that's if you can get them. We also carry our own devices. I am on the older end of Gen-Z, but the younger ones were literally raised on iPads. Because of this, I really think AA's positioning with device holders and universal power AND usb ports are great. It frees up the tray table. I said it upthread, but the gangster move would be for AA to be the first of the Big 4 to make wifi free. I would much rather have access to my Netflix library than be served up a lesser selection on a seatback with poor screen resolution. The responsiveness and computing power of the IFE pales to that of a regular iPad or laptop. And our generation notices stuff like that.

While I do not discount other's opinions, I don't think AA is digging a grave without screens. I was on a Kodiak 737 last month and everyone raved about how "new" the plane felt. People like the device holders too. All we Gen-Z'ers care about is getting from place to place as cheap as possible because we don't have disposable income like the older generations have. I also like to look at consumer behavior of my generation (I have a marketing degree). Think of Starbucks: tens of thousands of people go there daily to get work done. Myself included. All they do is offer good reliable wifi. We bring our own devices. It works great. We sit there for hours. If Starbucks had public computers it would not stop me from bringing my own devices to use. I think that model will work well in the future and I think AA is on the right side of this one.

Seatback IFE is a "nice to have" but certainly not a necessity. Gen-Z has grown up on their phones. We are fine using them for flying too. Why? Because our airpods already connect and the screen is big enough and high enough quality to entertain us. Just make wifi totally free (which apparently will be the norm one day) and we wouldn't think twice about IFE.

Because of this, my opinion is that UA should stick to its guns. Last time I was on a UA flight with seatback screens they were so ugly and outdated. Who wants to constantly have to keep up with that? I sure wouldn't.

This is an interesting post. I'm also Gen Z (and a former AA FF, I mostly use UA now) and I'd definitely agree on the headphone aspect. If there was any way for these systems to be Bluetooth enabled that would be amazing. I usually travel with my Beats or Airpods so no wired devices for me. You're right that it would be a big move for AA to make wifi free but the way they've been run I don't see it happening. I actually think that would be a much better opportunity for UA if they're rethinking their strategy on PTVs anyways.

If I were flying NYC-West Coast I would probably pay a premium to fly B6 because of the Wifi more than the PTVs. A lot of our generation spend time on social media like Twitter, TikTok, IG, and YouTube and would probably prefer to do that during a flight rather than use PTVs.

N649DL

Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:57 pm

NYCVIE wrote:
BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:

This is an interesting post. I'm also Gen Z (and a former AA FF, I mostly use UA now) and I'd definitely agree on the headphone aspect. If there was any way for these systems to be Bluetooth enabled that would be amazing. I usually travel with my Beats or Airpods so no wired devices for me. You're right that it would be a big move for AA to make wifi free but the way they've been run I don't see it happening. I actually think that would be a much better opportunity for UA if they're rethinking their strategy on PTVs anyways.

If I were flying NYC-West Coast I would probably pay a premium to fly B6 because of the Wifi more than the PTVs. A lot of our generation spend time on social media like Twitter, TikTok, IG, and YouTube and would probably prefer to do that during a flight rather than use PTVs.

Hard no for me as an older Millennial. Give me wired headphones any day over Bluetooth and/or Wireless headsets. I seriously miss having a headphone jack within a phone. It first started out with the iPhone but even now my Google Pixel doesn't have one. People use them for talking on conference calls and on phone calls as well and always seem to cut out.

Selfishly, part of the other reason for this is that my car is from 2005 and doesn't have Bluetooth capabilities, but does have a specific AUX plug-in line which I used to be able to play Spotify off of while driving. Oddly enough, when using the AUX line the car Entertainment System also converts into a speaker phone if someone calls while using it. So you can basically talk normally through the car speakers (and not hold the phone up to your face) while driving and the person talking on the phone plays back through the audio system via the stereo speakers. It's pretty neat. It might be a holdover from when older GM cars had analog-based OnStar where you talked through the audio system and reverted to an AUX line or something.

These days I don't drive much working from home and revert to using the 6-CD changer. Gotta love the quality of CDs while driving a convertible these days and having all the controls for it stem out of the steering wheel!
Last edited by N649DL on Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigPlaneGuy13

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:16 pm

NYCVIE wrote:
BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:

I totally agree with you - being able to be on socials is more interesting to me than trying to watch a movie on an airplane. It’s just not the best environment in my opinion. I think being able to tweet or text/post still has a bit of a “wow” factor to it when you’re at 35,000 feet. Being able to seamlessly communicate via any app from gate to gate would be the real winner in my book. Sounds like B6 might be the leaders of the pack! But does it work at scale with the Big 4? Interesting.

BigPlaneGuy13

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:

If Gen Z is looking for cheapest flights maybe that is the market AA is going for. UA and DL will be able to capture the premium market with their offerings. I def. am willing to pay more to fly Delta over AA as their planes are so much more comfortable than AA and the customer service is better. I guess each airline is looking to serve different markets. It is nice to see United trying to emulate Delta.[/quote]

Yeah that seems to be their positioning. I just found it interesting that AA sort of conceded that their wide bodies will feel more premium partly because of the IFE. And I think I would agree that screens do indeed feel premium. But I think what a lot of A.net seems to conflate is that just because there’s no IFE doesn’t mean AA is like Spirit/Frontier. Nobody says WN is like those two. And they don’t have screens, tablet holders, OR enough power outlets.

jayunited

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:35 pm

I wish United would just clearly come out and say what exactly is going on with the narrowbody fleet.

Today, just now on Flying Together when UA announced our Q1 results they stated United will continue to invest in our customers, including United Polaris retrofit program, starting retrofits on our narrowbody fleet, modernizing gates, upgrading and expanding United Clubs including EWR and DEN, and rolling out tools to give customers the option to pre-order onboard meals.

After so much confusion surrounding the narrowbody fleet and last weeks video that was alter after being posted I was hoping for a little more clarity from United. Does retrofitting the narrowbody fleet with new seats include installing IFE screens with AVOD? Why not clear this up and say yes we are installing IFE or no we are continuing with PDE but investing in modernizing our Wifi to meet the needs of our customers? Why not go into detail and tell the customer exactly what the plans are for the narrowbody fleet it is aggravating to put out a video, alter the video, then put out this statement to employees but yet still they don't provide any details.
Last edited by jayunited on Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AirKevin

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:38 pm

ikramerica wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
avier wrote:
Can't believe in a developed country, people still get excited over a screen. I wouldn't choose a cafe, restaurant, or doctors clinic simply because they have more TV monitors flashing stuff around.

The many times I even flew long haul, on premium airlines like SQ, QF, EK etc, I didn't even touch their screen or unpack the headphones they provided. I just wanted to eat and sleep or read. However, I still understand the need for a PTV on long haul sectors. But short-haul is questionable.

In the 2000's, when PTV's were still a novelty and large screen PED's weren't common in one's life, it sure was exciting and cool to see seat-back IFE's on planes, especially cool on a domestic sector. That did give off a vibe of a more premium feel. But now, with multiple HD, 4K, 8K and whatever personal devices and screens there is in one's lives everywhere, finding a screen on a plane for a domestic flight doesn't feel all that exciting or a specific reason to fly on that airline.

The argument of kids is probably the lamest reason I can see for an airline having PTV's on domestic flights. On a daily basis, what % of flyers are such, that is kids flying. On a regular day, I'm sure these are adults, mostly travelling for work/lesiure- without kids , that constitute the largest chunk of flyers. And with most such having a PED, would it be an important factor for them to choose an airline that has a seat-back screen ? So one must ask what is it that this segment of flyers would want.

The streaming IFE to ones PED'S (with charging ports on seats) is a much better option. Allows one to view stuff on their own device, without touching a screen used by many others. (and I'm sure in a post-covid world, some people are going to carry on few good hygiene practices we all learnt in the pandemic i.e to try and minimize contact with common touch points in public.)

It almost feels like the lines between the US based FSC's, LCC's and ULCC's has blurred so much, that this looks like a desperate and last resort to try and differentiate their product-
i.e by simply installing a silly screen.

I'll give you my experience from the last time I flew in September of 2019. I flew a United Boeing 737-800 from Orlando to Denver, no power ports at my seat, so I couldn't use my laptop, as it wouldn't have lasted the entire flight. I later flew on a Boeing 757-300 to San Diego. Don't remember if it had power ports, but I ended up using my laptop for this flight. On the return trip, I flew a Boeing 737-800 to Houston in first class, and although there were power ports, they didn't work. The result was my laptop battery got drained and I couldn't use it for the entire flight. When we landed in Houston, we ended up trying to recharge both our laptops before jumping onto the next flight. The last flight was on a Boeing 737-900, and the power ports on this one also didn't work, so my laptop quit working shortly after the start of the meal service. So having a portable electronic device does no good if you have limited battery power with no way to keep it charged.

Maybe you need a MacBook? LOL

I agree. Plugging in to broken power ports, oar if they work, having to disconnect so neighbors can get in and out, not having your tray free to eat or do anything else, all reasons to hate BYOD.

I wouldn't know how to work a MacBook. Last time I operated a Mac computer was when I was in elementary school, and that was many years ago. It's a gaming laptop that I'm running.
Captain Kevin

superjeff

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:45 pm

I find this interesting. Nobody's mentioned the connection with PTV's, laptops, and pitch. I'm 6' tall (183cm), 195 lbs (about 90 kg), and if I'm in a non extra-legroom seat in coach find it difficult to use my laptop, either to stream video or even do work. My last flight, on an American Eagle E175, in First Class, was about 3 1/2 hours (DFW-MSO) and my fully charged battery barely made it for the full flight. I think AA is missing the ball here; their new Oasis reconfiguration (and, yes, I've flown it in both First and Coach. Oasis Main Cabin Extra is 33" of pitch, which is less than what not too long ago as the coach standard (34"). I personally think AA felt they could do what their European partner, BA, did, as they're at 29"-30", but intra-European flights tend to be shorter than AA's, BA hasn't bothered much with "frills" like WiFi either. I hope that AA realizes they screwed up and reinstall PTV's but I'm not optimistic (I'm a Platinum now, was a Platinum Plus previously, and am a Million Miler). I really have been choosing flights by time and routing these days, without regard to PTV's, because I'm booking paid First just because of the space issue in these Covid times (so far, I've flown, Alaska, American, Delta, and United, all in domestic first) - Living in DFW, I would love to see American wake up and try to reestablish their reputation.

superjeff

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:46 pm

kiowa wrote:
d8s wrote:
United1 wrote:

Channel 9 still exists. All 777, 767s and retrofitted 752's have Channel 9 installed. It would not surprise me if it comes back to the narrow body fleet if UA retrofits AVOD screens.

Now if its turned on or not is another story but.....

Always been disappointed the channel 9 was not on the narrow bodies, especially the DirecTV aircraft. That was a CO error....

I believe all the United aircraft had it but the aircraft that came with the Continental purchase did not.

United had the Channel 9, but Continental had been installing PTV's for a long time in their Boeings.

N649DL

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:22 pm

superjeff wrote:
kiowa wrote:
d8s wrote:

Always been disappointed the channel 9 was not on the narrow bodies, especially the DirecTV aircraft. That was a CO error....

I believe all the United aircraft had it but the aircraft that came with the Continental purchase did not.

United had the Channel 9, but Continental had been installing PTV's for a long time in their Boeings.

Not really, it was via DirecTV and did always cost money unless you were in F until recently.

Crosswind

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:06 am

superjeff wrote:
BA hasn't bothered much with "frills" like WiFi either.

Whole BA mainline A319/320/321 (inc NEO) fleet now has wi-fi and in-seat power at every seat, aside from a small number of A319s due to be retired very soon.
Nearly all long haul aircraft have wi-fi, a few 787s still waiting to be fitted. But overall fleet at over 90% with wi-fi.

I think most major EU network carriers at or close to full wi-fi rollout.

Best Regards
CROSSWIND

MIflyer12

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:34 pm

superjeff wrote:
I find this interesting. Nobody's mentioned the connection with PTV's, laptops, and pitch. I'm 6' tall (183cm), 195 lbs (about 90 kg), and if I'm in a non extra-legroom seat in coach find it difficult to use my laptop, either to stream video or even do work. My last flight, on an American Eagle E175, in First Class, was about 3 1/2 hours (DFW-MSO) and my fully charged battery barely made it for the full flight. I think AA is missing the ball here; their new Oasis reconfiguration (and, yes, I've flown it in both First and Coach. Oasis Main Cabin Extra is 33" of pitch, which is less than what not too long ago as the coach standard (34"). I personally think AA felt they could do what their European partner, BA, did, as they're at 29"-30", but intra-European flights tend to be shorter than AA's, BA hasn't bothered much with "frills" like WiFi either. I hope that AA realizes they screwed up and reinstall PTV's but I'm not optimistic (I'm a Platinum now, was a Platinum Plus previously, and am a Million Miler). I really have been choosing flights by time and routing these days, without regard to PTV's, because I'm booking paid First just because of the space issue in these Covid times (so far, I've flown, Alaska, American, Delta, and United, all in domestic first) - Living in DFW, I would love to see American wake up and try to reestablish their reputation.

There are devices to watch video other than 17' laptops - which ought to be called tabletops in the current climate. 11-14" laptops, Chromebooks, and tablets as well as phones. Some of them have ample 8+ hour battery life, too, but I expect to find AC and USB power at every seat in First (AA is a disappointment) and at least gangs of two for 3-seat blocks in coach.

If you're willing to buy F or Y+ to get laptop space, carriers love you. With the retirement of the CR2s and 717s, every DL/DL Connection flight will have F/J, Y+ and Y. (How they finesses SkyWest at-risk CR2s may prove interesting.) Every mainline plane will have sat wifi and AVOD at every seat.

Every thread on AVOD brings conflict as reliably as Airbus vs. Boeing, with people on both sides firmly entrenched. AA has decided it's going cheap, not just on AVOD but as expressed with the Oasis configs and analogs. Maybe UA wants to compete on this amenity for yield.

BrianDromey

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:08 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Every thread on AVOD brings conflict as reliably as Airbus vs. Boeing, with people on both sides firmly entrenched. AA has decided it's going cheap, not just on AVOD but as expressed with the Oasis configs and analogs. Maybe UA wants to compete on this amenity for yield.

It's true. The two sides of this argument will never agree - from a European perspective WiFi, at-seat power and some sort of holder seems to work for me, most seats with some sort of high literature pocket can be used as a tablet holder at eye level, which is ideal. Ergonomically resting your laptop on a treatable is not great for several hours, so my personal preference is to have a high literature pocket than can be used as a tablet holder and frees-up knee space, rather than a PTV. Power is great and frees people from short battery life inherent with the phablets which are the current fashion. That said PTV's aren't actively annoying.

burnsie28

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:22 pm

BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:
Many airlines are going to device streaming since we all bring either phones and/or pads and/or laptops on trips. It saves weight plus the folks can plug into power ports so I don't agree AA was just slapped in the face.

Agree. In five years UA will still be adding in these screens and they’ll already be outdated. If I were AA, the real gangster move would be to make internet totally free on top of their already free streaming entertainment. Give pax a really good reason to just use their own devices. It would turn the tables on DL and UA — they stand to lose even more money giving up paid wifi on top of the money they lose from added weight and maintenance of IFE.

Delta already has announced internet will be free, it just takes time to work out bandwidth issues etc. A lot of newer systems are relatively light weight and consumer research has shown that people prefer the option of having a screen. Personally, I use my laptop for work and simultaneously watch movie/tv on the seat back screen. The amount of times that I have seen people try to use their own devices and it fails because they don't have the latest software etc. Many newer types of IFE systems are now easily upgradable and will also be upgradable over the air. Delta developed their own IFE system. You don't develop and spend that kind of money if your research shows people would rather use their own devices.

Good for UA for taking this step, makes flying much more enjoyable. I love AA's IFE system and have often booked flights purposely before to get on seatback equipped aircraft. The 738 flights were cross your fingers, makes flights go by faster and far more enjoyable.

WashtubFields

Fri May 07, 2021 7:26 pm

ikramerica wrote:
WashtubFields wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

So everyone is getting bent out of shape about cell phone tracking, but in order to fly on an aircraft, you must allow the airline to tell marketing firms who you are, where you are going and when? Or don't fly...
Yes, thanks for the data. Why do you think gmail is 'free'?

PhilMcCrackin

Fri May 07, 2021 7:47 pm

SonomaFlyer wrote:
Many airlines are going to device streaming since we all bring either phones and/or pads and/or laptops on trips. It saves weight plus the folks can plug into power ports so I don't agree AA was just slapped in the face.

Regardless of what you personally think of IFE, it's a signal that UA is trying to improve their product to be competitive with Delta, while AA is progressively degrading theirs.

WidebodyPTV

Fri May 07, 2021 8:07 pm

WashtubFields wrote:
ikramerica wrote:
WashtubFields wrote:

Yes, thanks for the data. Why do you think gmail is 'free'?

Because targeted ads with a high click-through rate dwarf the revenues brought in by showing a commercial for Ford on board an aircraft.

LCDFlight

Fri May 07, 2021 9:23 pm

Heck, you could even buy ads on flights into DCA, with the latest hundred billion dollar infrastructure idea you have, or the latest attack helicopter! (These ads are very common on the DC Metro).

bobd6

Sat May 08, 2021 9:59 am

I don't love seatback IFE, the systems just tend to be inconsistent across fleets and it really sucks when you get a crappy old system they're not upgrading as the plane is headed for the desert soon. I much prefer the wifi system, tends to be much more consistent and I have an iPad anyway.

Babyshark

Sat May 08, 2021 10:57 am

Get on any delta flight with the ife and just about everyone is using it. People love it.

To say it’s not necessary or wanted is silly.

And the screens with a new interiors make people think the jets are all brand new and you can’t blame them for thinking that. A 1990 A320 looks like a first flight A321.

ABEguy

Sat May 08, 2021 12:12 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:

Regardless of what you personally think of IFE, it's a signal that UA is trying to improve their product to be competitive with Delta, while AA is progressively degrading theirs.

What part exactly did AA degrade that is so uncompetitive with Delta? Besides these IFEs that everyone one this message board seems to be so enamored by.

Pi7472000

Sat May 08, 2021 12:26 pm

ABEguy wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:

What part exactly did AA degrade that is so uncompetitive with Delta? Besides these IFEs that everyone one this message board seems to be so enamored by.

The soft and hard products are much worse than Delta and United. The seats on AA are really uncomfortable. AA has not nearly as friendly when it comes to customer service issues or onboard service in general. AA reminds me of the F9 of the big 3. Glad to see United trying to emulate Delta.

ABEguy

Sat May 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
ABEguy wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:

The soft and hard products are much worse than Delta and United. The seats on AA are really uncomfortable. AA has not nearly as friendly when it comes to customer service issues or onboard service in general. AA reminds me of the F9 of the big 3. Glad to see United trying to emulate Delta.

Okay at least you didnt try to make the completely debunked case that oasis has less legroom than Delta. So thank you for that. Agreed AA has a long way to go with respect customer employee interaction. I’ve seen it myself first hand, and I don’t know how you solve that. Some folks are just nasty all while being unionized to the teeth.

USAirALB

Sat May 08, 2021 1:10 pm

ABEguy wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:
ABEguy wrote:

Okay at least you didnt try to make the completely debunked case that oasis has less legroom than Delta. So thank you for that. Agreed AA has a long way to go with respect customer employee interaction. I’ve seen it myself first hand, and I don’t know how you solve that. Some folks are just nasty all while being unionized to the teeth.

I almost exclusively fly AA, sans for a couple of trips I may take on AS or UA each year.

I've flown 4 segments so far on DL this year, and I found the DL Y domestic seating to be much more comfortable than the AA Oasis seat. The DL seats seemed to be cushier/have more padding.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

AAplat4life

Sat May 08, 2021 1:47 pm

I recently flew UA in first for 2 long haul domestic trips connecting in DEN on 737NGs with IFE. The A319s used for the shorter trips to/from DEN did not have them. Honestly, when this is available on AA, the selections seem better. I didn’t use them on UA, but others did.

The seat on the 319 was good, but the 737 seat was old and did not have much support. The service level on UA was slightly below the level on AA, particularly when it came to beverage choices. Most of the FAs were fine, but there was one notable exception. This can happen on any airline. I prefer the Admirals Club over the United Club has too.

There really wasn’t anything about UA that stood out to give them my business other than it’s DEN hub. Geographically it’s so much better than DFW for many connections.

avi8

Sat May 08, 2021 2:02 pm

I do have to admit that I recently flew united for the first time in years. I used to fly mostly AA. United has a friendlier vibe these days. You can literally do everything via the app, it’s amazing. They have certainly come a long way in terms of service and on board product. It’ll take time to homogenize the entire fleet
avi8

SunsetLimited

Sat May 08, 2021 2:48 pm

I’ll have flown 30 segments on UA by the end of August. Honestly, I haven’t had a bad experience so far this year. I like the coach seats, and the service is generally very personable. PTVs are a definite bonus.
Spread hope like fire.

PhilMcCrackin

Wed May 12, 2021 11:25 pm

iAvgeek737 wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:

No AA didnt get slapped in the face by removing the TV's. They got slapped in the face by thinking they would still be able to compete against the U/LCC's. They dont have the cost structure for that. So removing TV's, padding from seats, and decreasing pitch, while still having to charge a million dollars is what slapped AA in the face.

Pretty much. If I wanted to fly Spirit or Allegiant, I'd just go fly them. I'm not going to pay legacy fares to fly on an ULCC with AA.

Scarebus34

Wed May 12, 2021 11:54 pm

Why is this still being discussed? This was never even confirmed.

777luver

Thu May 13, 2021 1:12 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
Why is this still being discussed? This was never even confirmed.

Because even though it says "fact based" topics on the top of the main forum page, speculation is still allowed for discussion....even if it's not fact

asuflyer

Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:21 pm

United released the 737MAX 8 configuration which confirms the aircraft will be equipped with PTV's.

https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/stat ... 17/photo/1

intotheair

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:08 pm

That’s the same seat count that UA has in its existing 738 configurations, so there’s nothing really to note about that. The biggest change will be PTVs in Y and power outlets in Y-.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

atrude777

Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:02 pm

I am STILL not seeing a confirmation of this from United (Internally) or on the UA's Website.

I see the screenshot, but when you go to the 737-800 in Aircraft Information, there's no Max 8 Seat Map.

I did United.com-->Travel Information--> Airport and Aircraft Info--> Aircraft-->737-800 Only 3 versions, no Max 8....

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

hOMSaR

Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:06 pm

As a reminder, if you think a post is off topic, please flag it using the "report post" feature on the message. Do not respond to it, which only further continues the off-topic drift of the thread.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

ozark1

Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:20 pm

acavpics wrote:
A slap in the face to AA who just removed them from nearly all narrowbodies.

I agree. Seat back entertainment has its pros and cons. Pro: the passengers enjoy it, and it is so wonderful to have during a lengthy ground delay or a diversion. They especially like being able to watch the interactive map that shows the progress of the flight. As a flight attendant whenever I would see that my aircraft was equipped with it, I would feel relieved. When a cabin is clean, they just make the entire plane look brand new, even if it years old,
Con: On every flight I would be calling up front asking the #1 to reset a certain seat IFE. There is a master touch pad where you can select the seat number and reboot it. I don’t recall this ever happening on an international flight but very common on domestic (thus narrow bodies being the topic). Sometimes the reboot works and sometimes it doesn’t. Also, the metal box that houses all the wiring for the seat is underneath and takes up legroom. I would imagine that they have been kicked and hit by children, adults and luggage. But they seem to be very sturdy.
As a collective group the flight attendants threw up their hands when hearing that Doug wanted them off. If he wants to continue to remain in last place in almost all DOT reports, then these need to be re-installed. We have nothing to give them in coach anymore and we are embarrassed by it. Let’s at least give them something to bide the time and take their minds off the fact that their knees are probably touching their tray table!

phllax

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:29 pm

asuflyer wrote:
United released the 737MAX 8 configuration which confirms the aircraft will be equipped with PTV's.

https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/stat ... 17/photo/1

It's been up for at least a week. Cranky confirmed first routes were released today - IAH - EWR/LAS starting 7/15.

Coalways

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:29 pm

I wonder if there will be a couple of Channels of Livetv from dish? I know Delta use to have like 10 channels of LiveTv on there AVOD system…

phatfarmlines

Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:04 pm

asuflyer wrote:

Has it been confirmed, including the aircraft that previously had the PTVs, that all mainline fleets will be retrofitted? That I think is the gray area from the recent responses on this thread.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos