Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
BMcD
Topic Author
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:11 pm

Southwest in COS

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:11 am

How are the loads looking early on for Southwest in COS? Any announcements of maybe some CA routes?

Also, it looks like there are several 73G's RON here. Are crews staying overnight here or are they deadheading in? Is any MX happening overnight here?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious how things are going. Also it is nice to see them come in over 17L, a nice variety for spotting as they flyover head on short final.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2506
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest in COS

Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:36 pm

Loads are better than expected.
WN already stated in the first day of operations it's will definitely be growing COS soon. And envision itself taking over every available gate at COS.
Crews overnight in COS! Some crews do deadhead in depending on the schedule that crew planning builds to staff flights.
Favorite adventures for crew on their overnights thanks to low rental car rates has been daily drives to the Garden of the Gods.

MX is sub contracted to 3ed party when needed. Anything that requires a major fix will be done via a road trip from the DEN MX base. In other words No nightly MX in COS it's just another out station.

I honestly think you will see COS-LAX and COS-OAK in the near future.
Flyguy
 
FLLflyboy
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:07 am

Re: Southwest in COS

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:31 pm

I'm also hearing possible expansion to MCO & DC area as well. I have a contact at COS Airport Ops so take it with a grain of salt.
 
BMcD
Topic Author
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:11 pm

Re: Southwest in COS

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:46 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Loads are better than expected.
WN already stated in the first day of operations it's will definitely be growing COS soon. And envision itself taking over every available gate at COS.
Crews overnight in COS! Some crews do deadhead in depending on the schedule that crew planning builds to staff flights.
Favorite adventures for crew on their overnights thanks to low rental car rates has been daily drives to the Garden of the Gods.

MX is sub contracted to 3ed party when needed. Anything that requires a major fix will be done via a road trip from the DEN MX base. In other words No nightly MX in COS it's just another out station.

I honestly think you will see COS-LAX and COS-OAK in the near future.
Flyguy


That is awesome! I figured crews would like staying, COS has a lot to offer. I know Skywest has an MX base here, was just curious what they were doing. I think they are just doing the 175/CR2/CR7 line checks and other things here. LAX would be welcome. I hope COS is readying the east concourse for them (AKA the Westpac expansion). They are already sponsoring things in the community, seems they are investing and not just making an appearance here. They were well received in the community as well (no lines, cheap parking, etc), I think they may have a decent operation here once they settle in and offer more routes.
 
LASVegan
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:29 pm

Re: Southwest in COS

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:43 pm

Anecdotal I know , but I flew COS-LAS and back a few days later on their first week of ops there. Full both ways in the middle of the week. Would be nice to see some expansion there and fingers crossed, possibly put that east concourse to use that I don’t think has seen an airplane in 22 or so years.
 
OKCDCA
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:50 am

Re: Southwest in COS

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:43 pm

There is currently a buzz around the COS airport I haven’t seen in the three years I’ve lived here. What I’ve heard from friends who have flown WN in and out of the Springs is a lot of full flights. I always clarify with non avgeek friends what they mean by full and they typically mean full. The only report I have about not full flights has been from a friend who has been connecting in DEN the last couple weeks and he said the DEN-COS flights have been pretty open. Might just be his flights but he’s been on it the last four weeks now...
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4689
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Southwest in COS

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:46 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
There is currently a buzz around the COS airport I haven’t seen in the three years I’ve lived here. What I’ve heard from friends who have flown WN in and out of the Springs is a lot of full flights. I always clarify with non avgeek friends what they mean by full and they typically mean full. The only report I have about not full flights has been from a friend who has been connecting in DEN the last couple weeks and he said the DEN-COS flights have been pretty open. Might just be his flights but he’s been on it the last four weeks now...


The DEN-COS UA flights or WN?

DEN-COS is always full on UA, even the 900's. Just like any route you can have random times where they have plenty of open seats, but for the most part UA can fill any seats they want to COS from DEN.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5205
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Southwest in COS

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:04 pm

I would expect COS to do well for southwest. They have a huge following on the front range now. Lots of people who made the drive not have a closer or easier airport. No question COS is faster parking, security, walk to the gates baggage, rental cars. The whole airport is faster if you are going one of the place they have flights.

The same principal for JetBlue in the northeast take ALB they added service didn't even need to advertise and were a player on a day 1. Everyone knows the brand and lots of frequent flyers.
 
OKCDCA
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:50 am

Re: Southwest in COS

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:07 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:
There is currently a buzz around the COS airport I haven’t seen in the three years I’ve lived here. What I’ve heard from friends who have flown WN in and out of the Springs is a lot of full flights. I always clarify with non avgeek friends what they mean by full and they typically mean full. The only report I have about not full flights has been from a friend who has been connecting in DEN the last couple weeks and he said the DEN-COS flights have been pretty open. Might just be his flights but he’s been on it the last four weeks now...


The DEN-COS UA flights or WN?

DEN-COS is always full on UA, even the 900's. Just like any route you can have random times where they have plenty of open seats, but for the most part UA can fill any seats they want to COS from DEN.

WN. And yes, it could just be he has had some random not so full flights but considering he has been on the same flight the last four weeks on a Sunday afternoon and not had very full planes is a pattern to me. Without true data though, hard to judge.
 
F9LASDEN
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: Southwest in COS

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:03 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
LASVegan wrote:
Anecdotal I know , but I flew COS-LAS and back a few days later on their first week of ops there. Full both ways in the middle of the week. Would be nice to see some expansion there and fingers crossed, possibly put that east concourse to use that I don’t think has seen an airplane in 22 or so years.


My dad flew LAS-COS last Tuesday night and there was only 20 people on his flight. Hopefully his more of an exception rather than the rule.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos