Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ChrisNH38
Topic Author

Is KEF ready for all the new flights this summer?

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:58 pm

Several new flights coming into KEF this summer. It will be interesting to see how it all goes with congestion issues.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

asuflyer

Re: Is KEF ready for all this?

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:10 pm

I think the question is more is the travel industry ready for this. Many restaurants and hotels that are now experiencing more guests can't keep up with the demand because they laid off so many people. Previous employees have found other jobs or moved on and can't be replaced immediately. Who knows if AA or DL will have staffing shortages this summer a hurricane or tornadoes could cause some operational meltdowns at some point. Rental cars are scarce because fleets were offloaded last year. Specifically in Iceland some of the people working in the service industry the majority from Poland, Lithuania and the Phillipines have returned to their countries. People are also booking more much closer in to the date of travel so I think you will see that this summer could bring a lot of hiccups across the board in places that are reopening and see sudden surges in demand.

ChrisNH38
Topic Author

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:21 pm

asuflyer wrote:
I think the question is more is the travel industry ready for this. Many restaurants and hotels that are now experiencing more guests can't keep up with the demand because they laid off so many people. Previous employees have found other jobs or moved on and can't be replaced immediately. Who knows if AA or DL will have staffing shortages this summer a hurricane or tornadoes could cause some operational meltdowns at some point. Rental cars are scarce because fleets were offloaded last year. Specifically in Iceland some of the people working in the service industry the majority from Poland, Lithuania and the Phillipines have returned to their countries. People are also booking more much closer in to the date of travel so I think you will see that this summer could bring a lot of hiccups across the board in places that are reopening and see sudden surges in demand.

All great points, and really...they can apply anywhere people go.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

kavok

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:27 pm

Even with these additions, KEF passenger numbers will still be very much below what they were just a few years ago when both IcelandAir and Wow were serving a ton of destinations in North America and Europe combined.

stlgph

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:30 pm

One way to find out!

See you there.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

TC957

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:38 pm

If these new flights don't all arrive and depart when FI have their banks of flights, KEF should be fine. KEF isn't busy once FI flights have left.

davidjohnson6

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:56 pm

KEF airport, under the operational procedures that applied in 2019, will likely be more than capable of handling pax in 2021.
However, AFAIK, even for those who have a certificate of 2 shots of a vaccine, there will still be a requirement to have a PCR test on arrival. Arriving pax who are infected will see a less welcoming side of Iceland
The question should perhaps be how KEF will handle mass Covid testing on arrival and imposing quarantine or entry refusal for those who are infected.

hvusslax

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:02 pm

asuflyer wrote:

There are plenty of unemployed people in Iceland. Hotels and restaurants will have no problem hiring. We could have the whole industry back at 2019 levels in a couple of weeks if needed.

jbs2886

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:05 pm

TC957 wrote:
If these new flights don't all arrive and depart when FI have their banks of flights, KEF should be fine. KEF isn't busy once FI flights have left.

FI has dropped its fleet significantly and won't be flying nearly what it used to. I just don't see the concern over capacity now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos