JFK/BOS-SAT
JFK-PVR
JFK-SAP
JFK/BOS-YVR
JFK/BOS-MCI
JFK-BOS-MKE
BOS-AVL

LGA-JAX/SRQ/SAV/MSY/BNA/PWM

combined with what AA announced today, I must say they have BOS pretty well covered.

Midwestindy

Re: JetBlue announces 7 new airports

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:11 pm

DL is not going to like this....

Nicknuzzii

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:12 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

I’m gonna add UA to this too.

alohashirts

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:14 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
    Midwestindy wrote:

Summer 2022? That’s pretty far out to make such announcements.

Nicknuzzii

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:14 pm

alohashirts wrote:
    Nicknuzzii wrote:
    Midwestindy wrote:

Add AA as well.

They are the ones behind this with B6!

speedbird2263

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Finally B6 will open the door to Canadian Ops. I forsee way down the line some Canada to Florida opportunities. Interesting times.

PHLspecial

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:15 pm

alohashirts wrote:
    Nicknuzzii wrote:
    Midwestindy wrote:

Add AA as well.

What? B6 and AA are codeshare partners. This is good for AA

Nicknuzzii

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:19 pm

Interesting the shift from EWR to LGA for B6.

AC4500

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:22 pm

YVR is by far the most surprising here.

Runway765

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:26 pm

They added MKE and SAT, but still no IND/STL/CVG? This is shocking.

Brickell305

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:29 pm

speedbird2263 wrote:
    Finally B6 will open the door to Canadian Ops. I forsee way down the line some Canada to Florida opportunities. Interesting times.

Canada to Florida would be a disaster. Point of sale is heavily Canada-centric and fairly low yield. Plus Air Canada Rouge dumps pretty heavy capacity on its Florida routes during peak season.

Abeam79

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:30 pm

Also I noticed this in the press release
    “ Following an approximately six-month review, the DOT has agreed to terminate its review of the alliance in exchange for a series of commitments to ensure the alliance delivers consumers benefits without harming competition. With these new markets in both JFK and LaGuardia, JetBlue and American are demonstrating that commitment to growth.”
    I guess that ends the inquiry. Add NK as another airline thats not going to be happy, but it’s no surprise since they were just blowing hot air to a claim with little merit. They don’t really have any big operation in nyc area in the first place in terms of how much this would affect the likes of dl/ua

IdlewildJFK

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:34 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Nothing shifted. We have known for 9 months that the AA deal would mean growth at 4 airports. Most announcements focused so far on EWR more than the other 3. I see this as those 3 catching up. LGA growing was expected. They are not shifting plans.

IdlewildJFK

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:35 pm

Abeam79 wrote:
    “ Following an approximately six-month review, the DOT has agreed to terminate its review of the alliance in exchange for a series of commitments to ensure the alliance delivers consumers benefits without harming competition. With these new markets in both JFK and LaGuardia, JetBlue and American are demonstrating that commitment to growth.”
    I guess that ends the inquiry. Add NK as another airline thats not going to be happy, but it’s no surprise since they were just blowing hot air to a claim with little merit. They don’t really have any big operation in nyc area in the first place in terms of how much this would affect the likes of dl/ua

They said DOT. Not DOJ. We knew DOT was done in Jan. DOJ is still open.

SunsetLimited

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:47 pm

Very happy to see B6 launch MSY-LGA, as opposed to AA metal, which would likely have been YX anyway.

MIflyer12

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:48 pm

speedbird2263 wrote:

Open the door? The door's been open for transborder flights before JetBlue even existed - see the 1995 treaty.

JFK-YVR may prove a decent route for B6 - but it's going to be highly seasonal.

Scoots71

Still no BHM-BOS... sigh....

evank516

Woohoo MCI is coming online! I'm moving there from NY this summer.

Abeam79

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:00 pm

IdlewildJFK wrote:
    Abeam79 wrote:

:checkmark:
    Thanks for the clarification
    They said DOT. Not DOJ. We knew DOT was done in Jan. DOJ is still open.

rnav2dlrey

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:10 pm

BOS-YVR is a head scratcher for me, but i'm sure someone here will chime in with something that makes sense.

trueblew

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:13 pm

rnav2dlrey wrote:
    BOS-YVR is a head scratcher for me, but i'm sure someone here will chime in with something that makes sense.

Cruises?

JoseSalazar

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:16 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
    speedbird2263 wrote:

Open the door? The door's been open for transborder flights before JetBlue even existed - see the 1995 treaty.

The door hasn’t been open to Canada at JetBlue (except via BUF), which I think is his point. Of course it’s been possible, but they’ve never pulled the trigger until now.

evank516

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:18 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
    MIflyer12 wrote:
    speedbird2263 wrote:

The door hasn’t been open to Canada at JetBlue (except via BUF), which I think is his point. Of course it’s been possible, but they’ve never pulled the trigger until now.

Should we be surprised that B6 beat WN into Canada?

ChrisNH38

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:20 pm

With AA taking BOS-YYZ, the Canadian government will play any card it can to protect its flag carrier...which they themselves shut down.

jplatts

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:24 pm

Runway765 wrote:

I can understand B6 not adding service out of STL with
    (a) the significant FF base that WN already has in the STL market,
    (b) the connections that WN offers to destinations in the western half of the Midwest, the South Central U.S., and the Western U.S. through STL,
    (c) AA announcing plans to resume STL-BOS nonstop service, and
    (d) AA, DL, UA, and WN all already serving the NYC market nonstop from STL.

G4 has also recently added less-than-daily seasonal nonstop service to BOS from IND. G4 adding less-than-daily nonstop service to EWR from IND might also be a possibility. WN also already offers 1-stop connecting service to BOS from IND through BWI, and WN will also offer 1-stop connecting service to LGA from IND through BWI once it resumes BWI-LGA nonstop service.

While CVG-BOS will have nonstop competition once AA starts CVG-BOS nonstop service, a ULCC such as G4 or F9 adding CVG-BOS nonstop service might be a possibility, even if it is on a less-than-daily basis, with (a) the strong brand recognition that both G4 and F9 already have in the CVG market, (b) G4 or F9 likely able to undercut AA and DL on price, and (c) CVG-BOS being one of the top routes out of both CVG and BOS that doesn't currently have nonstop LCC/ULCC service.

Even though the nonstop competition that will be there on the CVG-BOS route will be on a legacy carrier, AA will likely have to keep fares down on CVG-BOS to remain competitive against the 1-stop connecting options that WN and UA offer to BOS from CVG.

G4 still has less-than-daily nonstop service to EWR from CVG in addition to the nonstop service that DL and UA still have to NYC from CVG. CVG might be able to support nonstop service to JFK on B6 if CVG-NYC demand were at pre-pandemic levels with F9 having dropped CVG-LGA nonstop service, but there is less of a need for B6 to serve JFK nonstop from CVG with the significantly reduced demand that is there to NYC as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to the nonstop options that are still there to NYC from CVG on the US3 and G4, WN will also be offering 1-stop connecting service to LGA from CVG through BWI once WN resumes BWI-LGA nonstop service.

tphuang
    Topic Author

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Unless JetBlue tells AA to f'off, this was always in the cards. JetBlue told its crewmembers that LGA will grow to 50 to 60 flights a day and JFK will grow to 220 to 240 flights a day. Since slot waiver should be gone by next Q2 (if not sooner), it had to be ready to add these flights. EWR telling B6 to slow down its expansion during runway work probably has something to do with it too. I was expecting them to at least add a couple of more summer routes out of EWR. You should expect routes like EWR-BOS/FLL/MCO regain more frequency in second half of this year.

At end of the day, JetBlue simply does not have enough aircraft/crewmember to expand at LGA/JFK and EWR at the same time. I may disagree with slowing down EWR in favor of LGA, but I'm a nobody.

MIflyer12 wrote:
    speedbird2263 wrote:

JFK-YVR is a really underserved market in summer time. Somehow, we managed to have 2 international carriers doing 5th freedom flights here for several years because AC didn't serve JFK. I've been anticipating this route for several years now. They can go 3x weekly in winter time. But summer time, they can probably got to 2x down the line. There is no reason for them not to chase PR off this route.

rnav2dlrey wrote:

There is actually quite a bit of summer traffic on this route. AC flies it. I don't see it as a route that's necessarily going to be dominated by Canada point of sale. Also, AC won't necesarily dominate connections out of YVR, since most of their Boston connections run through YYZ/YUL. I see no reason B6 can't do well here.

The one that is iffy to me is AA's BOS-YYZ addition. That's a route AC will dominate again once border opens. I don't see how AA lasts very long on that route.

I always thought YVR was the most likely first Canadian airport they had.

alohashirts wrote:
      Nicknuzzii wrote:
      Midwestindy wrote:

Summer 2022? That’s pretty far out to make such announcements.

JetBlue is out of resources. It's running more capacity this summer than 2019. It will need to pretty aggressively add head count and pull all aircraft out of storage just to fly these new routes.

But on the original point, DL was always going to be the biggest loser of this deal. I don't see what DL can really do in BOS. Now, they don't have a single monopoly that has real demand.

Any ff that might have been thinking of jumping from AA to DL is probably sticking with AA now. FFs with DL/UA will probably take a hard look at moving to AA/B6.

x1234

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:45 pm

I am surprised at YVR as the first Canadian destination instead of YYZ or YUL. The RJs/CRJs that serve JFK/LGA/EWR-YYZ/YUL are always full with exorbitant fares too. Connect Canada with B6's Latin network and you have a winner!

11C

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:07 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
      speedbird2263 wrote:

I think he just means it’s B6’s first Canadian city.

maverick4002

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:36 pm

evank516 wrote:

Why did you decide to move there?

speedbird2263

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:57 pm

11C wrote:
      MIflyer12 wrote:
      speedbird2263 wrote:

I think he just means it’s B6’s first Canadian city.

Indeed that is what I meant to convey. Happy to see B6 entering the Canadian market on their own metal.

Jshank83

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:26 pm

Runway765 wrote:

AA already plans to fly IND-JFK/BOS
      AA already plans to fly CVG-JFK
      AA added BOS-STL/CVG today

They don't really need JetBlue on those routes. Just one or the other.

PatrickZ80

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:33 pm

evank516 wrote:
      Should we be surprised that B6 beat WN into Canada?

No doubt Southwest could have entered the Canadian market long ago if they wanted to, however they were never interested. It's not really a matter of being beaten if you let your competitor win.

tphuang
      Topic Author

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:49 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
      Runway765 wrote:

They will add all 3 of these markets, just not in the next 12 months. An airline of JetBlue's size can only add so many new airports/routes in a 12 months window.

LAX772LR

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:59 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

B6 adjusted its business model quite some time ago to view the NYC metro tri-airport system as its primary hub, and not just the JFK gateway.
      Most of their recent growth has been at EWR, with about two dozen flights to add to both JFK and LGA.

Runway765 wrote:

Hardly "shocking," as B6 has long demonstrated a reluctance to expand within the Midwest.

AC4500 wrote:
      YVR is by far the most surprising here.

:checkmark: and the most delightful, in terms of foreshadowing things to come.
      Last edited by LAX772LR on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midwestindy

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:59 pm

tphuang wrote:
      Jshank83 wrote:
      Runway765 wrote:

They will add all 3 of these markets, just not in the next 12 months. An airline of JetBlue's size can only add so many new airports/routes in a 12 months window.

We'll see what happens on JFK-CVG/IND, but as long as AA is still serving BOS & JFK from both, it is unlikely B6 will operate at those airports.

LAX772LR

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:00 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

The poster (rather obviously) means B6 choosing to begin Canadian ops for the first time, not being able to....

Sightseer

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:01 pm

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but where is B6 getting the slots for its planned LGA expansion?

Jshank83

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:05 pm

Sightseer wrote:
      Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but where is B6 getting the slots for its planned LGA expansion?

Pretty sure it’s AA

catiii

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:08 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

There's no shift. A shift would imply that flights are being cut from EWR to fund flying in LGA. That's not the case.

Ishrion

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
      Sightseer wrote:

Pretty sure it’s AA

Yup, AA/B6 are using each other's LGA/JFK slots.

B6 uses AA's LGA slots for these expanded destinations, primarily sun markets Vasu Raja said in a podcast.

AA uses B6's slots at JFK for more convenient timings for their new international flights

catiii

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:12 pm

alohashirts wrote:
      Nicknuzzii wrote:

Add AA as well.

You mean the codeshare partner that is supplying the slots for this LGA expansion? That AA?

zuckie13

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:22 pm

To be fair, JetBlue did not announce 7 new airports - I'm confident those have already been airports.
      The did announce 7 new destinations for their service.

If an airline actually built a new airport - that would be big news.

USAIRWAYS321

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:26 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
      To be fair, JetBlue did not announce 7 new airports - I'm confident those have already been airports.
      The did announce 7 new destinations for their service.

If an airline actually built a new airport - that would be big news.

Thank you, Mr. Helper.

evank516

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:28 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
      evank516 wrote:

I'm training to be a pilot (pending medical). The cost of living in my area of NY (Long Island) area is exorbitant and prohibitive of me having a job where I can work varying shifts and still put a roof over my head. I have friends who live in Kansas City, one being a property manager at an apartment complex and the cost of living is significantly less. To put it into perspective, I am moving from a 650 square foot 1 bedroom apartment for $1675 a month in NY to an 850 square foot 1 bedroom apartment for $715 per month. Pay out there is much more in line with the cost of living as well so I don't have to be as picky about what type of job I take to work while I train.

DeltaRules

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:32 pm

Runway765 wrote:

Or CMH.

Sightseer

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:34 pm

Ishrion wrote:
      Jshank83 wrote:
      Sightseer wrote:

Pretty sure it’s AA

Yup, AA/B6 are using each other's LGA/JFK slots.

B6 uses AA's LGA slots for these expanded destinations, primarily sun markets Vasu Raja said in a podcast.

AA uses B6's slots at JFK for more convenient timings for their new international flights

Thanks for the explanations. That certainly is an unusual arrangement.

tphuang
      Topic Author

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:52 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
      tphuang wrote:
      Jshank83 wrote:

We'll see what happens on JFK-CVG/IND, but as long as AA is still serving BOS & JFK from both, it is unlikely B6 will operate at those airports.

B6's plan as of 2 months ago was to build JFK to 220 to 240 flights a day and BOS to 210 to 230 flights a day. I don't see how either airport gets to that many flights a day without service to CVG/IND/STL. They mentioned this partnership will allow them to add a dozen blue cities and named 7 of them. 4 of those 7 were added today. I'd imagine the other 3 that got mentioned (STL/CLO/PTY) will get added by 2023. Today is a first step, but this partnership will allow them to add a few more midwest markets.

B6 also cannot rely on AA willingness to operate A321T on BOS-LAX or RJs/A319s on BOS-IND/CVG/STL for its future. That's simply not a good strategy based on AA's recent history out of NYC/BOS.

AA can take those aircraft and use them to further grow DFW or CLT tomorrow if Northeast business demand is taking a long time to come back. B6 cannot do that. If it wants to be the dominant carrier in BOS and fully relevant in NYC, it needs to serve all these medium sized markets in the middle of the country.

jimbo737

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:58 pm

O&D Canada without Canadian domestic feed is suicide.

It may work in July and August, for 2 weeks in late Dec / early January and for about 3 weeks in March / early April.

Outside of that, good luck.

The majority of traffic on this route will be Canadian originating. B6’s FF program will be of minimal interest to Canadians. They’re quite happy with their Aeroplan and WestJet programs that have far more practical value to a Canadian resident

Unless fares are below cost, (then why bother?), I can’t see too many folks in Vancouver choosing to connect to Florida or Caribbean destinations over BOS and esp JFK, espnif it entails an overnight stay in a US$ hotel vs a C$ hotel in YYC or YYZ and then n/s to the sun from there.

And there’s no getting around Canadian and transborder taxes and fees.

I wouldn’t get too excited about this sort of thing.

I would bet too much that it’ll even operate, even when the border reopens for unrestricted travel, (which is already at least a rolling 6 months away....).

TheLunchbox

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:52 pm

OOF. Jimbo is all doom and gloom.

res77W

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:57 pm

evank516 wrote:
      maverick4002 wrote:
      evank516 wrote:

I'm training to be a pilot (pending medical). The cost of living in my area of NY (Long Island) area is exorbitant and prohibitive of me having a job where I can work varying shifts and still put a roof over my head. I have friends who live in Kansas City, one being a property manager at an apartment complex and the cost of living is significantly less. To put it into perspective, I am moving from a 650 square foot 1 bedroom apartment for $1675 a month in NY to an 850 square foot 1 bedroom apartment for $715 per month. Pay out there is much more in line with the cost of living as well so I don't have to be as picky about what type of job I take to work while I train.

Welcome to town! Great that B6 is finally coming to MCI. I didn't see an aircraft announcement, but my personal inkling is the A220.

-Rowen

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos