Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jfklganyc

Re: Delta scales back JFK T4 plans

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:36 am

gaystudpilot wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

It seems like a temporary situation until 2024, still odd nevertheless

One thing I know about aviation, nothing that is planed in the future is real until it arrives.

The funny thing about Delta at terminal 4 Is the fact that the original 2000 plan under Leo Mullin called for a much larger expansion.

When DL Finally did the expansion after much delay, it left out the whole upper floor expansion of the head house. They did it on the cheap. It was a half hearted version of the 2000 plan.

In this case Delta is backed into a corner. They would stay at terminal 2 indefinitely. But terminal 2 is going away. TOGA wants to build. Delta does not. So this is the bandaid result.

The overall result is a much more crowded, smaller terminal then was envisioned 20 years ago.

Now enter Jetblue and American. Plenty of gate space, plenty of slots.

Could get interesting.

Given what is going on across the field, if I was Delta, this isnt a project I would delay

Image of the 2000 Leo Mullen plan:

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/representative-gregory-meeks-delta-ceo-leo-f-mullin-state-news-photo/1303256

Thank You for posting this!!!!

See that huge headhouse expansion?? Never happened.

Now you know why T4 is a cluster in the Terminal itself.

20 years later, the still havent achieved their original goal

Lootess

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:22 am

Things might be different if Delta were only funding JFK T4 improvements. But currently there is LGA, JFK, LAX, and SEA. Not exactly cheap in costs. The head house update in the T4B opening with the Skypriority area and central security were good improvements. I think what clouds up perception of T4 is that it's not just Delta and their partners. You have the Emirates and Air India lounges, aside from AMEX, Wingtips, and Skyclub. Can get a bit busy in that late afternoon segment.

Delta and JFKIAT have been in lockstep for over 20 years, and even more so since the NW merger. Do you not know who owns JFKIAT? It's not like the terminal improvements were without close cooperation.

FromCDGtoSYD

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:04 am

I hope T4 can get a T8 kind of rebuild one day... the land it occupies is so big. And this feels like so much wasted potential.
That being said it would probably cost and eye and a leg and take 20 years to do so yeah...

trueblew

Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:02 pm

jfern022 wrote:
Biophobe99 wrote:
bkflyguy wrote:

While I agree that the T4 experience is far from great, it is light years ahead of the T3 dump. That was just plain embarrassing.

T3 extension was terrible. I did love the original T3 saucer though. Too bad it was neglected for so long that it wasn’t salvageable. I thought it would’ve made for a great retro rj operation.

One thing I’ll never understand is how people compare DL at T4 to AA/T8 and B6/T5. Both of those terminals were built specifically for the airlines that operate from there. Therefore they should be a much nicer experience and better operationally than an airline taking over a terminal that was built for a different type of operation.

Exactly! If some of the commentors here would like, they could donate some funds to Delta in order to make the facility more to their standards.

The walk on T4B is the same as the walk at DTW Concourse A. Going from the low gates to the high gates is just as long. They both have moving walkways, DTW has the Tram and JFK will have the jitney back soon.

Unless everyone on here thinks DL should spend millions more at JFK, when the cost of construction is much higher in NYC, and they've already had a lot committed in CAPEX to LGA and LAX, as well as SEA.

Why so defensive? You cannot equate the experience at T4 with that at DTW Concourse A. Not even close. The Jitney is not the Tram. If you time it just so, the Jitney takes even longer than powerwalking the length of the concourse. That could never be said for DTW's tram. T4 is a poor experience for O&D, but just horrendous for connections particularly when schlepping from the high B gates. It is what it is. No one is attacking your dearest Delta, just describing the actual unfortunate reality.

Biophobe99

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:37 pm

trueblew wrote:
jfern022 wrote:
Biophobe99 wrote:

T3 extension was terrible. I did love the original T3 saucer though. Too bad it was neglected for so long that it wasn’t salvageable. I thought it would’ve made for a great retro rj operation.

One thing I’ll never understand is how people compare DL at T4 to AA/T8 and B6/T5. Both of those terminals were built specifically for the airlines that operate from there. Therefore they should be a much nicer experience and better operationally than an airline taking over a terminal that was built for a different type of operation.

Exactly! If some of the commentors here would like, they could donate some funds to Delta in order to make the facility more to their standards.

The walk on T4B is the same as the walk at DTW Concourse A. Going from the low gates to the high gates is just as long. They both have moving walkways, DTW has the Tram and JFK will have the jitney back soon.

Unless everyone on here thinks DL should spend millions more at JFK, when the cost of construction is much higher in NYC, and they've already had a lot committed in CAPEX to LGA and LAX, as well as SEA.

Why so defensive? You cannot equate the experience at T4 with that at DTW Concourse A. Not even close. The Jitney is not the Tram. If you time it just so, the Jitney takes even longer than powerwalking the length of the concourse. That could never be said for DTW's tram. T4 is a poor experience for O&D, but just horrendous for connections particularly when schlepping from the high B gates. It is what it is. No one is attacking your dearest Delta, just describing the actual unfortunate reality.

DTW A and JFK T4 are not all that dissimilar when it comes to length of a walk from one end to the other. DTW however wins hands down when you compare the Tram to the JFK Jitney. Yet another example of how effective designing for a specific type of operation can be in providing a seamless experience. T4 will most likely never be on the same level due to it being built for a different purpose but it’s not all that bad for what it is and will eventually be used for.

I certainly enjoy a good debate and can get passionate about certain subjects but could we refrain from the inflammatory language and personal prodding? It doesn’t really add to the conversation.

jbs2886

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:49 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Lootess wrote:
I love T4, and the moving walkways make it easy to get other side in decent time. I guess people don’t complain about DTW cause they take the monorail.

Also one of the best Skyclubs in the network. Good riddance T2.

Glad to see T2 go. Awful terminal though it is one of the last pieces of historic JFK, but definitely not worth salvaging. It's too small, horrible layout, not designed for the traffic levels it supported and T1 definitely needs a larger footprint. The only place to grow T1 is on the space T2 occupies.

Crazy talk! lol T2 was so convenient compared to T4 because it was so small. Sure, it was pretty crappy, but you didn't have to spend too much time in there and the SkyClub generally always had space (albeit it, too, was a sad one).

Moving sidewalks in T4 don't help that much (and at least one was always down).

STT757

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:56 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Lootess wrote:
I love T4, and the moving walkways make it easy to get other side in decent time. I guess people don’t complain about DTW cause they take the monorail.

Glad to see T2 go. Awful terminal though it is one of the last pieces of historic JFK, but definitely not worth salvaging. It's too small, horrible layout, not designed for the traffic levels it supported and T1 definitely needs a larger footprint. The only place to grow T1 is on the space T2 occupies.

Crazy talk! lol T2 was so convenient compared to T4 because it was so small. Sure, it was pretty crappy, but you didn't have to spend too much time in there and the SkyClub generally always had space (albeit it, too, was a sad one).

I remember when they painted T-2 in the Song colors!

ContinentalEWR

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:59 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Lootess wrote:

Am not a fan of T4 but T2 is a miserable place to sit out a delay inside or outside of the T2 SkyClub.

admanager

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 am

evank516 wrote:
T4 is terrible. That walk down the B concourse is just too long. Baggage claim is clear across the facility and you’re looking at a gnarly walk from even B39. T2 may be gross, but it’s easy in and easy out. I miss it.

I could not agree more. Easy in and out from T2. I’m not needing glass and chrome.

jfklganyc

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:57 am

STT757 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

I remember when they painted T-2 in the Song colors!

YES!!

Like a bad 80s hairdo that haunts people in old photos

jfklganyc

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:03 am

Biophobe99 wrote:
trueblew wrote:
jfern022 wrote:

DTW A and JFK T4 are not all that dissimilar when it comes to length of a walk from one end to the other. DTW however wins hands down when you compare the Tram to the JFK Jitney. Yet another example of how effective designing for a specific type of operation can be in providing a seamless experience. T4 will most likely never be on the same level due to it being built for a different purpose but it’s not all that bad for what it is and will eventually be used for.

I certainly enjoy a good debate and can get passionate about certain subjects but could we refrain from the inflammatory language and personal prodding? It doesn’t really add to the conversation.

NW built the DTW terminal. Different airline, different place, different time.

Why you guys are even arguing over apples and oranges is beyond me.

You are also comparing building in one of the most competitive airports in one of the most expensive cities in the planet with...Detroit.

Do you know how much it costs to build a train in NY? $2.5 billion per mile of subway. You think you are getting an airport intra-terminal tram for a cost effective price?

It is a miracle you even have the AirTrain

jfern022

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:13 am

jfklganyc wrote:
Biophobe99 wrote:
trueblew wrote:

You are also comparing building in one of the most competitive airports in one of the most expensive cities in the planet with...Detroit.

Do you know how much it costs to build a train in NY? $2.5 billion per mile of subway. You think you are getting an airport intra-terminal tram for a cost effective price?

The only comparison I was drawing between JFK t4 and DTW was the length of the terminal which both also have a mode of transporting connecting them. Everything else is night and day.

ContinentalEWR

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:17 am

jfklganyc wrote:
Biophobe99 wrote:
trueblew wrote:

Revelation

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:00 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
gaystudpilot wrote:

Seems like DL is trying to do too much at once (LGA, JFK, LAX, and SEA) and is dealing with earlier failures too (the earlier JFK master plan, the money they dumped into the new facility at BOS that ended up being wiped out during bankruptcy).

gaystudpilot

Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:38 pm

Revelation wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
gaystudpilot wrote:

Seems like DL is trying to do too much at once (LGA, JFK, LAX, and SEA) and is dealing with earlier failures too (the earlier JFK master plan, the money they dumped into the new facility at BOS that ended up being wiped out during bankruptcy).

I’d like to hear more about your POV. I’m not so sure DL is trying to do too much at one time. I also think while they have fumbled a few things they do have significant challenges.

LGA: Seems to be going well. What the problems here? I think how LGA and JFK work together may still need to be worked out to optimize profitability but don’t think they’re too far off.
JFK: DL moved from an outdated mess into a sub-optimal design. As someone else noted, T4 should have been built with concourses parallel to the headhouse, similar to T8. I get that T4 was built in the space of the operational former IAB. Also that a parallel design would have gone into the space of T3. I still believe a better design could have been constructed. With all of that said, DL could have made design choices during the T4 expansion to make for a better experience without tearing down T4
LAX: Seems to be going well. DL took advantage of the downturn to accelerate the construction and re-building of a combined T2-T3. I think how LAX fits into the network strategy is a bigger challenge for DL than facilities and operations
SEA: Sure the facilities are challenging and will be in the future. But similar to LAX, I think the bigger challenge for DL is how SEA fits into the network strategy and more specific to SEA, how will they maintain and gain market share. I believe DL has a real threat with AA-AS. DL completely fumbled their relationship with AS. I would not be surprised if DL pulls out in 1-2 years

I think Delta is managing a lot. I do not believe, however, that they should be overwhelmed.

Lootess

Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:51 pm

Revelation wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
gaystudpilot wrote:

In a way it’s ironic because they built BOS A to expand and be solo. Chapter 11 put a halt on that. It took Delta almost 10 years to finally kick all the other airlines out.

N649DL

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:17 pm

Biophobe99 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
I just want to bring this thread back to the real world.

Terminal 4 has some long walks, But beyond that it is a beautiful, modern, spacious terminal...with a mall that is as photogenically pleasing as any of the great airports of the world.

I don’t know what airport terminals you guys have been in (especially in the US and especially in NY) but T4 is not awful, horrible or ugly.

It is certainly nicer than anything at EWR or BOS or PHL or IAD .... other east coast international facilities.

Back to Delta...They are trying to run a major hub on the cheap while getting new competition across the field.

Re T8: The full build out as envisioned will never occur. The two concourses that were cut were full RJ concourses for an RJ operation that never existed.

I agree wholeheartedly! T4 isn’t the best terminal in the USA but it is certainly modern and up to par with just about any other terminal. That being said it does suffer some minor drawbacks that are inherent to its original design being geared primarily for international departures and arrivals pre 9/11. The walk can be long from B55 to domestic baggage claim but DL has made a good effort to install moving walkways in the concourse area and you have the option of taking the Jitney (bus) to B20 if you’d like (pre COVID - hopefully returning soon!).

The biggest drawbacks to T4 is the lower ceiling area and congested corner at B20. If they can raise the ceiling and cut down on the excessive retail area there that wouldn’t be an issue. Concessions do need a big upgrade. Hopefully with DL taking over T4 in its entirety DL can exert more control over the paxex side of things and I hope they set up the Jitney for easier connections to T4A.

If DL can get everything under one roof and upgrade the paxex I think they’ll do fine. Best terminal at JFK, USA or the world? No. But functional, manageable and certainly better than what T2-3 had to offer.

I mean, you have to recall that T4 wasn't a designated DL Terminal until sometime in the last decade when they decided to knock down the ex-Pan Am "Worldport." They essentially moved and expanded T4 and took over and expanded a wing. That's why you have an endless amount of long walking distance between gates. I like the lobby, but I hate the security areas and that annoying downstairs flow post security which makes you maneuver in a weird pattern down escalators to the gate areas. I suppose it's for concession purposes.

The actual gate areas are totally fine to me as they're clean, spacious and functional. And you can't beat the SkyClub with the outdoor area on the roof in T4 either. The problem is that *you really* have to plan it out if you want to make time to visit the SC. I always find it takes way more time to get through T4 than anticipated, but I still think it's better than UA's Terminal C at EWR. Although T2 is a freaking dump. I can't get over how DL knocked down "The Worldport" but kept T2 around which smells like Fast Food and has awful speakers (EG: gate agents talking over each other) in all the gate areas.

cokepopper

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:07 pm

Could Delta’s plan to scale back Terminal 4A
Have anything to do with LGA possibly loosing the perimeter rule?

OA412

Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:02 pm

Please stick to the topic. If you'd like to discuss DLs SEA strategy, please start a new thread.

jfklganyc

Sat May 01, 2021 2:08 am

cokepopper wrote:
Could Delta’s plan to scale back Terminal 4A
Have anything to do with LGA possibly loosing the perimeter rule?

Nah. Probably a cash flow thing.

Contrary to the hatred on a.net, the perimeter rule serves a valid purpose and probably isnt going anywhere.

mikedelta720

Sat May 01, 2021 4:05 am

So is there still a chance to fly out of T2? I see planes parked at the gates but I don't know if flights still operate there, and to where.

DL777200LR

Sat May 01, 2021 4:11 am

mikedelta720 wrote:
So is there still a chance to fly out of T2? I see planes parked at the gates but I don't know if flights still operate there, and to where.

No, planes are parked there when remaining overnight/no fly situation. Not sure if they decided on when and if T2 will reopen for flights

panamair

Sat May 01, 2021 4:34 am

mikedelta720 wrote:

JFK T2 is currently still closed but it will likely reopen later this summer as Delta increases JFK flights; there won’t be enough gates at T4 to handle the total number of flights during peak summer based on current projections.

Lootess

Sat May 01, 2021 6:32 pm

Yeah T2 will reopen with the summer load, the smell of Wendy’s will return.

Remember when they had plans for T2-T4B connector? It’s even on that old Leo T4 reveal. I’m fine with the T2 situation now knowing it’ll be ancient history soon.

AmericanAir88

Sun May 02, 2021 2:33 am

panamair wrote:
mikedelta720 wrote:

JFK T2 is currently still closed but it will likely reopen later this summer as Delta increases JFK flights; there won’t be enough gates at T4 to handle the total number of flights during peak summer based on current projections.

Does T2 really need to comeback? (T3 should have stayed instead of T2 in my opinion). DL has plenty of gates at T4. I hope DL goes through with expanding T4 to eliminate T2. Maybe even put a train at T4Bz

Here is a tip for T4 parking: Park at T7 and take the air train. T7 parking is always empty and cheaper

atlflyer

Sun May 02, 2021 3:06 am

AmericanAir88 wrote:
panamair wrote:
mikedelta720 wrote:

Does T2 really need to comeback? (T3 should have stayed instead of T2 in my opinion). DL has plenty of gates at T4. I hope DL goes through with expanding T4 to eliminate T2. Maybe even put a train at T4Bz

Here is a tip for T4 parking: Park at T7 and take the air train. T7 parking is always empty and cheaper

They are. It’s just not as big of an expansion as originally proposed.

N757ST

Sun May 02, 2021 12:52 pm

With the lack of international flights this summer and fall from international carriers, I also wonder if T2 would be necessary.

jfk777

Sun May 02, 2021 1:20 pm

N757ST wrote:
With the lack of international flights this summer and fall from international carriers, I also wonder if T2 would be necessary.

Terminal 2 is an early 1960's building lost past its expiration date. The Worldport was a dump a needed replacing. Sadly the 1990's built terminal 1 was built on too small a piece of land and called into duty well beyond what it was built for. JFK needs to take advantage of lower demand times to build for future demand and expansion. Delta moving into T4 was the worst thing to happen to JFK "General" international terminal, where are all the small foreign airline supposed to go ? Terminal 1 it turns out.

The new Terminal 1 on the T1-T3 sites needs to go ahead just to have future capacity, JFK is the USA number one gateway. JFK is controlled by anchor tenants controlling almost all the airports terminals for their alliance partners. JETBLUE and AA will control terminals 5 to 8, a huge amount of terminal capacity. JFK deserves better than what its getting, the PANYNJ should be ashamed of itself.

panamair

Sat May 08, 2021 11:39 am

Noticed that Delta has started using some of the T4A gates already: MAD left out of gate A2 and LHR left out of A4 last night...don’t know if it’s a just a temporary situation...

gaystudpilot

Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:37 pm

panamair wrote:
Noticed that Delta has started using some of the T4A gates already: MAD left out of gate A2 and LHR left out of A4 last night...don’t know if it’s a just a temporary situation...

Is this still happening?

I wonder if they bussed passengers over to T4A — ie, premium passengers in the Sky Club, located in T4B, would have a hike to T4A.

bpat777

Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:30 am

gaystudpilot wrote:
panamair wrote:

Is this still happening?

I wonder if they bussed passengers over to T4A — ie, premium passengers in the Sky Club, located in T4B, would have a hike to T4A.

I flew out about 1.5 months ago and there were 2 DL planes at the A gates, I know one was a 763 arrival from LAX.

tlecam

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:38 am

The morning flight to London is leaving from A3 today.

NYCDM

Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:16 pm

tlecam wrote:

Both AM flights to LHR today are also A.

And the inbound tonight from PHX arrives T1. Weird.

tlecam

Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:29 pm

NYCDM wrote:
tlecam wrote:

Both AM flights to LHR today are also A.

Interesting. I found a new way to waste time. :D

11C

Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:30 pm

sxf24 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
I just want to bring this thread back to the real world.

Terminal 4 has some long walks, But beyond that it is a beautiful, modern, spacious terminal...with a mall that is as photogenically pleasing as any of the great airports of the world.

I don’t know what airport terminals you guys have been in (especially in the US and especially in NY) but T4 is not awful, horrible or ugly.

It is certainly nicer than anything at EWR or BOS or PHL or IAD .... other east coast international facilities.

Back to Delta...They are trying to run a major hub on the cheap while getting new competition across the field.

Re T8: The full build out as envisioned will never occur. The two concourses that were cut were full RJ concourses for an RJ operation that never existed.

T4 is bearable for DL connections today. The walls are long, but it is easy to get between gates and there is a nice SkyClub and food shops.

T4 is subpar for O&D. Security is a colossal mess, even with PreCheck. Customs and baggage claim have illogical flows with significant extra walking. The SkyClub is not conveniently located unless you’re departing from the 30s.

I have to agree on security. I traveled through T4 to Zurich recently, and I can’t imagine two experiences that could be any more different. Security and customs in Zurich is so organized, and stress free. T4 (and probably most of JFK) is more or less a free for all.

atlflyer

Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:34 am

On the “A Whole New JFK” website under the Delta T4 section, a video of a community outreach event was posted. Some very good information was revealed that I have previously have no seen anyone else:

- Delta is rushing construction of the Concourse A regional jet gate expansion bc all airside construction (A&B expansions/modifications) must be complete for Delta to vacate Terminal 2 by December 2022! He even mentions this is due to the New Terminal 1 construction.

- Slide in presentation with Concourse A expansion notes regional jet hold rooms will be ground level and designed to accommodate future expansion.

- Delta will not only build a new Sky Club in Concourse A but will also build a new 36,000 square foot new concept premium lounge (No name given for this new lounge yet) in the Headhouse of Terminal 4.

- T4 Headhouse will be renovated to have a much more premium feel.

- Landside improvements will finish through 2023.

atlflyer

Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:35 am

Here is the link if anyone else wants to watch the presentation:

https://www.anewjfk.com/delta-airlines- ... ch-events/

panamair

Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:17 am

atlflyer wrote:

- Delta will not only build a new Sky Club in Concourse A but will also build a new 36,000 square foot new concept premium lounge (No name given for this new lounge yet) in the Headhouse of Terminal 4..

In one of the other slides, I believe they simply called that part of the project "Delta One" (the new premium lounge)

tlecam

Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:21 pm

atlflyer wrote:

Interesting and thanks! Not sure i would have stumbled across this.

Also I’m happy to hear what I suspected about the commuter expansion confirmed…designed with future expansion in mind.

tinpusher007

Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:26 pm

tlecam wrote:
atlflyer wrote:

Interesting and thanks! Not sure i would have stumbled across this.

Also I’m happy to hear what I suspected about the commuter expansion confirmed…designed with future expansion in mind.

Me as well!!! Because whats going up now is NOT an expansion; its even worse than the current T2!!!

OzarkD9S

Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:07 pm

tinpusher007 wrote:

Me as well!!! Because whats going up now is NOT an expansion; its even worse than the current T2!!!

Sounds like what America West did at PHX T3 before T4 was built. It served the purpose but wasn't meant for the long-term. Much like C/D at IAD. Wait... :gnasher:

phatfarmlines

Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:40 pm

NYCDM wrote:

It has been mentioned that T1 is not capable of taking domestic arrivals. And DL is using T1?

tphuang

Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:11 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
tinpusher007 wrote:

Sounds like what America West did at PHX T3 before T4 was built. It served the purpose but wasn't meant for the long-term. Much like C/D at IAD. Wait... :gnasher:

Construction costs always go up exponentially in NYC. If Delta wants to wait until 2030, they are not going to like costs. I won't be surprised if they just keep patching things up with small projects because a major expansion costs too much

ContinentalEWR

Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:27 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
NYCDM wrote:

It has been mentioned that T1 is not capable of taking domestic arrivals. And DL is using T1?

T1 does not handle US domestic and Delta does not use T1. Seems strange DL 1031 (PHX-JFK redeye) is assigned to TM1 but Flight Aware and Delta.com show that.

STT757

Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:35 pm

tphuang wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
tinpusher007 wrote:

Construction costs always go up exponentially in NYC. If Delta wants to wait until 2030, they are not going to like costs. I won't be surprised if they just keep patching things up with small projects because a major expansion costs too much

They’re spending $1.3 Billion on this “temporary” expansion. The terminal will be 30 years old in 7 years. I can’t see them dropping what would have to be north of $2 billion to do another expansion.

ContinentalEWR

Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:41 pm

STT757 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

They’re spending $1.3 Billion on this “temporary” expansion. The terminal will be 30 years old in 7 years. I can’t see them dropping what would have to be north of $2 billion to do another expansion.

I don't see DL funding any further development (or redevelopment of T4). T4 opened in 2001. So it will be a bit more than 7 years when it reaches the 30 year mark. By then, much of what is left at T4 that isn't part of the Delta network and partners, will probably have decamped to the new T1 complex. Delta will have run of the place. T4 is not quite an awful terminal from the start, it has never been great, full of bottlenecks, low ceiling spaces, long walks, and a done-on-the-cheap but still costly project, but the prior expansions were what could be done, given proximity to taxiways and runways.

SteelChair

Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:56 pm

For those who say Delta should invest millions more....they've already invested billions. With a plural. This is New York after all. Near as I can tell, they've scarcely seen a return on these investments. I have been under the understanding that even when times were good, most of the actual profit was made elsewhere. Perhaps this explains the unwillingness to finish the headhouse.

They've been saying they want to be big in NYC for 25 years.....one can't help but wonder why? It's ridiculously expensive and operationally complex. What airline ever got rich in NYC?

jfklganyc

Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:59 pm

STT757 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

I think T4 will be around for a long time.

Like ORD or ATL, that is an anchor terminal which the whole airport is based on. At least 2050.

ContinentalEWR

Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:17 pm

SteelChair wrote:
For those who say Delta should invest millions more....they've already invested billions. With a plural. This is New York after all. Near as I can tell, they've scarcely seen a return on these investments. I have been under the understanding that even when times were good, most of the actual profit was made elsewhere. Perhaps this explains the unwillingness to finish the headhouse.

They've been saying they want to be big in NYC for 25 years.....one can't help but wonder why? It's ridiculously expensive and operationally complex. What airline ever got rich in NYC?

That's not quite true. While DL has invested billions in NYC, specifically at JFK for 30+ years (it all began when DL acquired Pan Am's JFK operations, TATL routes, etc..) in 1991, with a further expansion as it emerged from Chapter 11 in 2007, followed up by the LGA accompanying hub, by their own admission, they stated that the entire NYC operation turned profitable in 2014. Yes, it is expensive. It is also complex, particularly when it straddles two airports. But they have strong anchors at JFK and LGA. What they don't have is what UA does, which is a singular NY Area hub at one airport. It is well known that EWR was the most profitable of CO's 3 US hubs, and UA has also made it clear EWR remains one of its most profitable. So, it can be done and DL has shown with capital investment, wooing corporate clients, and offering a more unified product on the ground and in the air, it can work. The challenge will be what happens next. Corporate travel will likely never return to 2019 levels. But DL has positioned itself well in NY and for the long haul. It will eventually take over T4 completely and grow more at LGA.

tphuang

Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:57 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
SteelChair wrote:

That's not quite true. While DL has invested billions in NYC, specifically at JFK for 30+ years (it all began when DL acquired Pan Am's JFK operations, TATL routes, etc..) in 1991, with a further expansion as it emerged from Chapter 11 in 2007, followed up by the LGA accompanying hub, by their own admission, they stated that the entire NYC operation turned profitable in 2014. Yes, it is expensive. It is also complex, particularly when it straddles two airports. But they have strong anchors at JFK and LGA. What they don't have is what UA does, which is a singular NY Area hub at one airport. It is well known that EWR was the most profitable of CO's 3 US hubs, and UA has also made it clear EWR remains one of its most profitable. So, it can be done and DL has shown with capital investment, wooing corporate clients, and offering a more unified product on the ground and in the air, it can work. The challenge will be what happens next. Corporate travel will likely never return to 2019 levels. But DL has positioned itself well in NY and for the long haul. It will eventually take over T4 completely and grow more at LGA.

Yet, as they face the biggest challenge to their LGA/JFK dominance in a long time, they've decided to go cheap. If you are look at their JFK operation, they are at just 158 departures today (including the cancellations).

If we say that they need to spend another $3 billion in today's dollar to get to the ultimate desirable state, how much money would they need to spend to do that work in 2030? Will that be $5 billion, $7 billion or $10 billion? Seems like NYC airport construction costs just keep escalating to ridiculous territory. Who knows what kind of new building/business regulations we will have by then. We definitely won't have another Cuomo to push this type of projects.

I think T4 will be around for a long time.

Like ORD or ATL, that is an anchor terminal which the whole airport is based on. At least 2050.

I agree with the first part. For the second part, I think both the new T-1 and the combined T5/6 will put T-4 to shame once they are completed. I don't know who other than DL and a few of its partners would still be in T-4 by that time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos