Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ULA340
Topic Author

Sri Lankan airlines started weekly service to Nairobi

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:02 am

Ok... what the hell are these guys thinking? I get it there are some of us who like to go safaring and visit the national parks but is there demand for weekly A333 service which works to about a 6.5 hour flight. SL's economy is severely hit because of COVID and Kenya which isn't doing too well either. For example the dollar has risen from LKR130 to LKR200 within the past year and a half. I have rarely seen African tourists in SL but I do know family and friends who have gone to Kenya for wildlife purposes. No mention of a stop-over in Seychelles which would make more sense since they fly there already and isn't too much of a detour and likely more traffic.

I swear UL makes terrible terrible decisions... unless you guys can prove me otherwise.

MileHFL400

Re: Sri Lankan airlines started weekly service to Nairobi

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:19 am

I was tracking this flight over the Indian Ocean yesterday and was wondering what was going on!

I think they should have started off with something smaller. A321neo or something.

dfwking

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:46 am

ULA340 wrote:
Ok... what the hell are these guys thinking? I get it there are some of us who like to go safaring and visit the national parks but is there demand for weekly A333 service which works to about a 6.5 hour flight. SL's economy is severely hit because of COVID and Kenya which isn't doing too well either. For example the dollar has risen from LKR130 to LKR200 within the past year and a half. I have rarely seen African tourists in SL but I do know family and friends who have gone to Kenya for wildlife purposes. No mention of a stop-over in Seychelles which would make more sense since they fly there already and isn't too much of a detour and likely more traffic.

I swear UL makes terrible terrible decisions... unless you guys can prove me otherwise.

Cargo and connections to India and East Asia perhaps?

IndianicWorld

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:05 am

In the current global situation, airlines are trying many things that made little to no sense previously.

The reality is that it has identified an opportunity to generate revenue and is giving it a go. It is no different than every other carrier right now in that approach.

ULA340
Topic Author

Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:51 pm

dfwking wrote:
ULA340 wrote:
Cargo and connections to India and East Asia perhaps?

I think there are already direct flights connecting them as of now. Interesting to see how this will pan out.

I think it would have been good if they established routes to European destinations which were lucrative in the past. Currently UL is very cash strapped and the govt has infused a lot of cash into it so experimenting is not the right thing to do right now IMO.

Galwayman

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:13 pm

Kenya to India/China/Asia via Sri lanka makes sense . long overdue . Should have happened years ago.....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos