Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AVLAirlineFreq
Topic Author

DL announces JFK-ATH, ATL-ATH

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:45 pm

Starting May 28 for JFK-ATH and July 2 for ATL-ATH. ATL-ATH was last flown in 2011. Both routes on A330s.

https://news.delta.com/new-atlanta-serv ... -travelers

KFTG

Re: DL announces JFK-ATH, ATL-ATH

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:48 pm

Makes sense. Vaccinated Americans in particular need not quarantine upon arrival.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/n ... 331915002/

Also in the Delta release, the return of KEF-BOS/JFK/MSP.
Last edited by KFTG on Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PHLspecial

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:49 pm

You go to ATH, you go ATH, everybody goes to ATH!

France and Greece will be big tourist spots this summer
Interesting I guess the A333 has plenty of range from ATL.
Last edited by PHLspecial on Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NZ321

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:49 pm

Gees DL is going hard at it. 2 to ATH along with UA from IAD. How will Greece stand up to the influx of potentially Covid 19 infected individuals ? Sure hope Greece has a good plan and that there are some stringent requirements in both directions for testing.
Plane mad!

OA260

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:50 pm

Good news great to see Delta back. If all goes to plan its going to be an interesting line up at ATH this Summer.

NZ321

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:52 pm

OA260 wrote:
Good news great to see Delta back. If all goes to plan its going to be an interesting line up at ATH this Summer.

"interesting" may be one word for it. How well equipped is Greece to respond to the consequences of opening the doors at this rate?
Plane mad!

KFTG

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:53 pm

NZ321 wrote:
How will Greece stand up to the influx of potentially Covid 19 infected individuals ?

How will Greece stand up to another year of lost economic activity?

OA260

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:56 pm

NZ321 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

"interesting" may be one word for it. How well equipped is Greece to respond to the consequences of opening the doors at this rate?

Greece opened last Summer and handled it quite well. This was before vaccinations. There will still be the same random testing on arrival for those vaccinated and those who have taken a PCR test. There will of course be some instances of Covid but thats life things have to open up with precautions.

Under the new rules, arrivals from the EU, UK, United States, Israel, Serbia and the UAE who have been vaccinated or have a negative PCR test up to 72 hours prior to arrival can enter.
Officials said targeted rapid checks will be carried out at entry points and quarantine hotels are ready to accommodate those who test positive during this process. Safety protocols including wearing masks and social distancing will remain in place.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html
Last edited by OA260 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LCDFlight

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:56 pm

Part of the rush to restart Europe (even if it breaks even) is it also strengthens the domestic US networks via connect. The networks cannot function at their best unless international stuff is happening.

baje427

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:05 pm

It's really going to be interesting to see how all this pans out with new Covid variants and all.

jayunited

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:32 pm

NZ321 wrote:

Greece isn't simply throwing the doors open visitors will have to be fully vaccinated or present a negative test before they are even allowed to get on their flight to Greece.

The idea that you can't reopen and keep people safe is utter lunacy, you can do both at the same time. However Greece would be in real economic trouble if they loose yet another summer season.

Congratulation to Delta great to see them add ATL-ATH to their lineup and Greece will be just fine.

onwFan

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:49 pm

Is the ATL-ATH replacing one of the two loaded JFK-ATH frequencies? It is not clear whether they still plan to operate 2x daily on JFK-ATH?

ScottB

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:52 pm

jayunited wrote:
However Greece would be in real economic trouble if they loose yet another summer season.

This, exactly. Without tourism, Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu, Naxos, etc. are mostly just islands with impoverished fishing villages. Tourism represents about a quarter of Greek GDP; they really cannot afford to lose that injection of cash.

maps4ltd

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:59 pm

KFTG wrote:
NZ321 wrote:
How will Greece stand up to the influx of potentially Covid 19 infected individuals ?

How will Greece stand up to another year of lost economic activity?

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

tphuang

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:59 pm

ScottB wrote:
jayunited wrote:
However Greece would be in real economic trouble if they loose yet another summer season.

This, exactly. Without tourism, Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu, Naxos, etc. are mostly just islands with impoverished fishing villages. Tourism represents about a quarter of Greek GDP; they really cannot afford to lose that injection of cash.

It's too bad then, because the asian tourism was a huge fraction of tourism. That's clearly not back this summer. My experience was that american tourists was a relatively small portion of tourists at santorini and mykonos.

deltairlines

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:00 pm

PHLspecial wrote:

If anything, DL has the 242t A333s that wouldn't have any issue doing ATL-ATH.

deltairlines

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:01 pm

tphuang wrote:
ScottB wrote:
jayunited wrote:

It's too bad then, because the asian tourism was a huge fraction of tourism. That's clearly not back this summer. My experience was that american tourists was a relatively small portion of tourists at santorini and mykonos.

Americans are itching at the thought of going to Europe (in general) this summer. There's so much pent up demand that even places that weren't predominately American draws will be bursting with Americans this summer, simply because so much of Europe will likely remain closed.

NWAESC

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:14 pm

I'm happy to see DL making some moves! We can't send everything to CUN...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

NZ321

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:15 pm

jayunited wrote:
NZ321 wrote:

Greece isn't simply throwing the doors open visitors will have to be fully vaccinated or present a negative test before they are even allowed to get on their flight to Greece.

The idea that you can't reopen and keep people safe is utter lunacy, you can do both at the same time. However Greece would be in real economic trouble if they loose yet another summer season.

Yes indeed, I do understand. And it is indeed possible as I know coming from the country I do which has a working travel bubble unlike most, but I also know - given where I live now - that corruption has the potential to undermine even the best of plans and things can get out of hand very quickly. I'm stoked Greece is open - have family there and hope to get there soon - long may it continue!
Plane mad!

fun2fly

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:20 pm

It's interesting that UA added IAD, DL added these flights and AA axed PHL>ATH in the same week. UA and DL adding, AA subtracting. Odd.

I'm on AA to ATH dirt cheap in Premium Economy both ways ($1,200) what you'd normally pay for coach, how will yields be with this influx of capacity?

rjbesikof

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:28 pm

fun2fly wrote:
It's interesting that UA added IAD, DL added these flights and AA axed PHL>ATH in the same week. UA and DL adding, AA subtracting. Odd.

I'm on AA to ATH dirt cheap in Premium Economy both ways ($1,200) what you'd normally pay for coach, how will yields be with this influx of capacity?

All 3 airlines will have 2 routes to ATH in the peak summer season
AA will have ORD and JFK
UA will have EWR and IAD
And with today's announcement, DL will have JFK and ATL.

OlympicATH

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:42 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
fun2fly wrote:

All 3 airlines will have 2 routes to ATH in the peak summer season
AA will have ORD and JFK
UA will have EWR and IAD
And with today's announcement, DL will have JFK and ATL.

UA will have EWR and the new flight from IAD. Total 2 daily flights.
AA added JFK-ATH and will fly out of ORD as well. PHL-ATH was moved to an August start but still seems bookable. If that materializes they will have 3 flights into ATH from mid-August.
DL had 2 daily JFK flights planned (which seemed to still be bookable) and now added ATL. Total 3 flights, unless they cancel one of the JFK flights.

Note the one DL JFK flight is the only US3 flight into ATH next winter as of now (and it's the first time DL flies to ATH year-round in years).

PHLspecial

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:42 pm

fun2fly wrote:

Might as well start the PHL getting dehubbed joke :(

All three carriers will fly to countries that allowed vaccinated visitors in. I.E. France and Greece.
Quite a good deal, also demand is still down. Airlines are stimulating demand with low fares.

TW870

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:06 pm

deltairlines wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Yep, my guess is that they will put the 242t birds on ATH-ATL. The route is about 550nm longer than FCO-ATL and CDG-SEA, which I think are the longest routes that have been regularly flown with the lower gross weight PW4168A-powered birds. Especially because it get hot at ATH in mid-summer, and because there will likely also be decent cargo demand, I would assume the gross weight bump will be necessary. Note that ATH-ATL is 20nm longer than TLV-JFK, and that I believe TLV-JFK has been exclusively a 242t route.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:31 pm

DL announces JFK-ATH? When did they stop flying it that they "announce" it again. I thought this route had been flown for years?

Polot

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:35 pm

TW870 wrote:
deltairlines wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Yep, my guess is that they will put the 242t birds on ATH-ATL. The route is about 550nm longer than FCO-ATL and CDG-SEA, which I think are the longest routes that have been regularly flown with the lower gross weight PW4168A-powered birds. Especially because it get hot at ATH in mid-summer, and because there will likely also be decent cargo demand, I would assume the gross weight bump will be necessary. Note that ATH-ATL is 20nm longer than TLV-JFK, and that I believe TLV-JFK has been exclusively a 242t route.

It has to be the 242t planes, there is no way the lower MTOW A333s can make it.

SESGDL

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:57 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
DL announces JFK-ATH? When did they stop flying it that they "announce" it again. I thought this route had been flown for years?

The press release says "More New York flights." So I'm assuming this is additional frequencies beyond what was already announced.

Jeremy

Detroit313

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:08 pm

Glad to see Atlanta - Athens back after so many years!

flyfresno

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:22 pm

I'm guessing they won't be going to Dubrovnik, though?

OlympicATH

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:39 pm

SESGDL wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

The press release says "More New York flights." So I'm assuming this is additional frequencies beyond what was already announced.

Jeremy

They've had two daily flights out of JFK loaded for a while - in line with previous years, nothing new. To me this is basically PR and to make the point that they will be the first carrier to fly to ATH this summer already in late May, following the buzz from AA (JFK) and UA (IAD).
The ATL flight is an addition, unless it actually ends up replacing one of the two JFK frequencies. It doesn't seem to be the case as of now (all 3 DL flights to ATH are bookable) but I find it strange that they don't mention the two daily flights out of JFK in the press release.

OlympicATH

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:41 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Might as well start the PHL getting dehubbed joke :(

PHL-ATH is bookable from mid-August onwards, in addition to ORD-ATH and JFK-ATH.

Cactusjuba

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:48 pm

NZ321 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

“Interesting” would be the rational for barring fully vaccinated travelers.. what superior level of individual, case by case immunity can be held out for?

UPlog

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:56 pm

Greece was only this week was added to U.S. State Department "Do Not Travel" advisory list.

Good luck trying to get travel insurance to cover your trip to Greece while the countries sits on the highest warning category.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... reece.html
I fly your boxes

clrd4t8koff

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:57 pm

flyfresno wrote:

I'm impressed DBV could handle the AA 767 when it operated. I was just looking at Google images of DBV airport and the facility looks pretty small to handle a long haul international flight. I think it has 4 jet-bridge gates? Surprised they have a catering facility large enough for long haul. But I would love if DL opened DBV....or if AA re-opened it. If you're a SkyTeam FF it's a hard place to get to currently. Only option looks to be AF a few times a week from CDG. Surprised KL doesn't fly from AMS.

OA260

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:15 pm

UPlog wrote:
Greece was only this week was added to U.S. State Department "Do Not Travel" advisory list.

Good luck trying to get travel insurance to cover your trip to Greece while the countries sits on the highest warning category.

Based on that good luck with going anywhere !

US State Department Expands Do Not Travel List to 80 Percent of Countries

www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-trav ... tries.html

Come May / June that list may have changed numerous times.

OlympicATH

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:17 pm

UPlog wrote:

Don't see how that's relevant if you're vaccinated?

32andBelow

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:27 pm

tphuang wrote:
ScottB wrote:
jayunited wrote:

Yah but people are going to go where they can go this summer.

adv40624

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:29 pm

Greece has reopened — but here’s why you may want to wait to go. Good story on The Points Guy about Greece. They really are not full reopened.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/greece-re ... 2021-04-23

jbs2886

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:29 pm

NZ321 wrote:
Gees DL is going hard at it. 2 to ATH along with UA from IAD. How will Greece stand up to the influx of potentially Covid 19 infected individuals ? Sure hope Greece has a good plan and that there are some stringent requirements in both directions for testing.

Yes, America was the butt of jokes last year on its handling of the pandemic. Now, however, every adult is eligible for the vaccine and our vaccination has been rapid this year - so much so that we are advancing ahead of most other countries, some of which are heading towards stricter lockdowns again. Yes, it is possible to get COVID when vaccinated, but the likelihood is much lower. Having vaccination requirements will certainly limit exposure issues for Greece.

jbs2886

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:30 pm

OlympicATH wrote:
UPlog wrote:

Because you can still get the virus and you can still carry the virus to infect other people that may or may not be vaccinated (particularly problematic if the person isn't vaccinated).

ContinentalEWR

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:02 pm

NZ321 wrote:

DL has operated 2 x daily JFK-ATH in peak season for the last few years (except 2020 of course). Nothing new here.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:05 pm

PHLspecial wrote:

I would not bet on either being huge tourist spots for Americans this year.

adamh8297

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:15 pm

The wild card people are not talking about are the ferries from Piraeus!!! Are they allowed to operate to full capacity.

clrd4t8koff wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

I'm impressed DBV could handle the AA 767 when it operated. I was just looking at Google images of DBV airport and the facility looks pretty small to handle a long haul international flight. I think it has 4 jet-bridge gates? Surprised they have a catering facility large enough for long haul. But I would love if DL opened DBV....or if AA re-opened it. If you're a SkyTeam FF it's a hard place to get to currently. Only option looks to be AF a few times a week from CDG. Surprised KL doesn't fly from AMS.

DBV was renovated in 2017. 16 gates and can handle over 3 million pax a year now.
At the end of the day, the runway is large enough - 10800 feet. That is the critical factor for longhaul widebody service.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

foxecho

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:28 pm

NWAESC wrote:
I'm happy to see DL making some moves! We can't send everything to CUN...

Yeeeess....THIS!

Andrew
..uh, we'll need that to live......

flyfresno

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:30 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
NZ321 wrote:

DL has operated 2 x daily JFK-ATH in peak season for the last few years (except 2020 of course). Nothing new here.

ATL-ATH hasn't operated in over a decade.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:03 pm

flyfresno wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
NZ321 wrote:

ATL-ATH hasn't operated in over a decade.

Agreed, but read the post. Was talking about JFK, not ATL, which last operated in 2011.

SoCalFlyer

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:08 pm

Just out of curiosity, will the flight crews have to be vaccinated as well, or have a negative test? Or are they exempt?

sldispatcher

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:42 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
OlympicATH wrote:
UPlog wrote:

Because you can still get the virus and you can still carry the virus to infect other people that may or may not be vaccinated (particularly problematic if the person isn't vaccinated).

You could also be in a plane hull integrity loss everytime you go airborne but that is not a rational reason to stat grounded.

As someone who has treated hundreds of covid patients and has been involved in the vaccine trials, these kinds of statements and fear mongering are reasons why we aren’t further along in aviation recovery.

sldispatcher

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:44 pm

jayunited wrote:
NZ321 wrote:

Congratulation to Delta great to see them add ATL-ATH to their lineup and Greece will be just fine.

Bingo!

What more can we ask for? United is even integrating technology into their app to make it as seamless as possible.

I wish all of the airlines the best in filling their planes and hope Greece reaps the benefits.

Irehdna

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:46 pm

I'm also curious if DL launching a northern winter seasonal JFK-GIG/EZE would be a good idea, to reposition aircraft used on European seasonal flights. From what I understand northern winter is high season to these cities in terms of tourism. Iirc JFK-GIG seasonal on DL was a thing not too long ago.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos