Significant fisticuffs at D-12 at MIA on 2021-04-25

Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:34 pm

Brawl At Miami International Airport Ends With One Arrest

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/04/26/m ... wl-arrest/

Only one arrest???

AWACSooner

Re: Significant fisticuffs at D-12 at MIA on 2021-04-25

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:38 pm

At the rate incidents like this are happening in the country, they need to set up a few octagons in major US airports

B757Forever

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:52 pm

Notice the sign in the background for "Urban Decay". Oh the irony!
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

piedmontf284000

Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
At the rate incidents like this are happening in the country, they need to set up a few octagons in major US airports

and the summer travel season has not even started yet...

B757Forever wrote:

:rotfl: :lol:

southwest1675

Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:05 pm

Going for Great!
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Flaps

Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:57 pm

Passengers are acting like a-holes left and right. These scenarios play out every day although they don't usually get this far out of control. Saw a pax get tazed in security, cuffed and hauled away at my airport yesterday. Started out as a mask conflict, ended up with a guy in jail.

Kno

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:42 pm

Just had a business trip in Miami. Sadly the whole city was looking run down and full of this kind of behavior - witnessed several fights and all kinds of ignorance. On the business side of things I’m finding it damn near impossible to find vendors who can do business above a 3rd grade level down there as well.

Take my experience with a grain of salt but I always gave Florida the benefit of the doubt - on my past several visits the stereotypes have really been playing out.

maps4ltd

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:48 pm

I've seen at least 5 videos of this nature from Miami Airport. Oh well.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

lightsaber

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:03 pm

Please post respectfully.
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

ClipperMonsoon

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:07 pm

Welcome to Miami, did you expect anything different from this place?
Signed
Long time MIA resident
(before any fanboys get their knickers in a twist)
The true Queen of the Skies the Boeing 707-321B

ozark1

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:27 pm

AWACSooner wrote:

I would put Miami in a class by itself. I avoid the place at all cost. Rudeness is the norm. A third world country that just brings out the worst in people. Maybe its the humidity

mmahpeel

Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:08 pm

It is reported these passengers were on standby - anyone know if they were revenue or non-rev?

CALMSP

Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:16 pm

I wonder if we'll see AA ban them for life.

spinotter

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:42 am

What I immediately wondered is how fighting among passengers can possibly do them any good as far as getting on the flight or not. The airline is not going to reward the knockout champion in a brawl with a lower number in the standby list, so what is the point?

AaronPGH

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:00 pm

I really love the word "fisticuffs". More of that.

TWFlyGuy

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:30 pm

mmahpeel wrote:
It is reported these passengers were on standby - anyone know if they were revenue or non-rev?

Reminds me of the time some years ago there was an issue with employees selling their "buddy" passes (nobody gives those tickets to a real friend) to people but not telling them they are stand by tickets and it was causing issues when people were denied boarding. If these are non-revs, some people are going to be in hot water.

FCOTSTW

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:54 pm

AWACSooner wrote:

Luckily there were no guns involved, as everyone was hoping to board a flight.

hohd

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:14 pm

What is interesting is that one woman was busy taking video in addition to this video taken by someone else.

744SPX

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:18 pm

Looks more like a travelling troupe of actors putting on a spontaneous performance for the benefit of those sitting in the terminal

Okcflyer

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:22 pm

AA cannot prevent alteractions directly, but they can lower the temperature (atmosphere) of frustration through commonplace practices.

We recently flew out of MIA. I put some of this blame on AA. Their MIA hub customer service performance is atrious. Delayed flights, zero announcements or reasons given. Updated "delay times" post that are only a few minutes in the future from the current time. Only to be quickly passed with no actions, meaning the update only further increased impatient customer's frustration. Long lines of folks standing and fuming at the process. CS Agents with a don't give a flip attitude. Many AA folks just standing around watching some other AA personnel do something without helping. We stood for 90 minutes in group-1 line without a single update from the gate agent on cause of delay or a status update. 90 freaking minutes! An when they started to board, no reminders about the group orders. This lead to a bunch of group 5+ people cutting the line and trying to rush to board. Again, zero announcements or attempts at crowd control.

A truly awful experience. I've never been as frustrated flying as that experience with AA at MIA a couple weeks ago. We also decided we will not fly AA through MIA again in the next 5 years, if ever.

kiowa

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:27 pm

hohd wrote:
What is interesting is that one woman was busy taking video in addition to this video taken by someone else.

Several people taking a video. It’s great to live in a Jerry Springer world isn’t it?It seems like there should’ve been more than one arrest.

Breathe

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:34 pm

kiowa wrote:
hohd wrote:

Several people taking a video. It’s great to live in a Jerry Springer world isn’t it?It seems like there should’ve been more than one arrest.

Where's Steve when you need him? :bigthumbsup:

On a more serious note, after everything we've been through in the last 12 months it is very sad to see this type of behaviour. It might sound harsh, but harsher deterrents such as banning people from airports is the only way you'll get certain people to behave themselves.

I never quite understand individuals who generally tend to be on holiday, think it is a green light to conduct themselves in such a loutish manner.

ER757

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:48 pm

mmahpeel wrote:

Boy, if there were non-revs, I can't imagine they'd have jobs afterwards if they were the instigators. If they were the one being attacked and just fought back, then that's different.
Sadly, stuff like this is happening more often, or at least it seems that way what with everyone having a video camera in their pocket by way of a smart phone.

Aptivaboy

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:54 pm

I'd pay good money for that!

It could also be Southwest's new method of choosing seating. Eliminate the cattle call, institute THE OCTAGON. Wanna get away? What happens in the Boarding Area Fight Club stays in the Boarding Area Fight Club.Win your fight, earn Rapid Rewards points! Bags, I mean comatose winners fly free!

WA707atMSP

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:22 pm

Here's a longer video of the brawl. Warning: NSFW language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STkgvrLCnyQ

It's very sad that people have so much anger at an airport that they use their fists. Like everyone else, I've had experiences at airports and on airplanes that made me upset (the worst was on a Beech 1900 when another passenger wanted my seat, so she dumped my belongings at the front of the airplane, then refused to move when I asked for my seat back), but I've never used my fists, or even profanity, to express my unhappiness.

Revelation

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:47 pm

The most coherent account I've read so far is:

The passengers were waiting on their flight to Chicago when a group of people started fighting after being told there were just three standby seats available for their party of four.

A witness told CBSMiami.com there was some back and fourth with the agent and then the agent asked the next group of 3 if they wanted to go.

The first group of 4 at the counter and the next group of 3, exchanged some words which led to a push and that’s when the fists started to fly.

All of the people involved in the fight were on stand-by to get on the flight.

Video posted on social media shows the melee and people trying to stop it, after it spread to two locations.

Ref: https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/04/27/m ... wl-arrest/

spinotter wrote:
What I immediately wondered is how fighting among passengers can possibly do them any good as far as getting on the flight or not. The airline is not going to reward the knockout champion in a brawl with a lower number in the standby list, so what is the point?

It's hopeless to try to apply logical analysis to this situation.

Okcflyer wrote:
We recently flew out of MIA. I put some of this blame on AA. Their MIA hub customer service performance is atrious. Delayed flights, zero announcements or reasons given. Updated "delay times" post that are only a few minutes in the future from the current time. Only to be quickly passed with no actions, meaning the update only further increased impatient customer's frustration. Long lines of folks standing and fuming at the process. CS Agents with a don't give a flip attitude. Many AA folks just standing around watching some other AA personnel do something without helping. We stood for 90 minutes in group-1 line without a single update from the gate agent on cause of delay or a status update. 90 freaking minutes! An when they started to board, no reminders about the group orders. This lead to a bunch of group 5+ people cutting the line and trying to rush to board. Again, zero announcements or attempts at crowd control.

A truly awful experience. I've never been as frustrated flying as that experience with AA at MIA a couple weeks ago. We also decided we will not fly AA through MIA again in the next 5 years, if ever.

By this standard the situation was a "win" for the staff, get the party of four all stirred up about only being able to seat three of them, then offer their seats to the party of three behind them, stand back and watch it all kick off.

A bunch of the old "Airline" US A&E shows focused on WN's customer service staff ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_( ... _TV_series) ) recently showed up on my u2b feed. Should be mandatory viewing for future customer service people, IMO. Also the earlier UK series are now showing up too.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

AWACSooner

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:00 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
It's very sad that people have so much anger at an airport that they use their fists. Like everyone else, I've had experiences at airports and on airplanes that made me upset (the worst was on a Beech 1900 when another passenger wanted my seat, so she dumped my belongings at the front of the airplane, then refused to move when I asked for my seat back), but I've never used my fists, or even profanity, to express my unhappiness.

Inquiring minds want to know more.

WA707atMSP

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:20 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

Many years ago, I was flying Great Lakes MSP-IWD-IMT-ORD to add Ironwood and Iron Mountain to my logbook. I got off the airplane at both IWD and IMT, partly because Beech 1900s don't have lavatories, but also to see the inside of both terminals. Great Lakes didn't assign seats, so I placed my backpack on my seat, to indicate the seat was occupied. At Iron Mountain, the TSA allowed local originating passengers to board first, then waited to let through passengers on after all the IMT originating people were aboard. When I boarded, I found my backpack at the front of the airplane, and a middle aged "Karen" in my seat. When I politely asked for my seat back, she snarled "Isn't there another seat that will meet your needs?". The only seat left was in the row behind her, which was the last row; this seat didn't recline. Rather than make a fuss, I took the seat behind her. Of course, once we were airborne, she smirked and reclined her seat as far as possible.

I kept my cool and didn't say anything unkind. However, on my NW DC-9 back from ORD to MSP, I had two stiff gin and tonics to reward myself for not lowering myself to her level.

dfwjim1

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:50 pm

Read somewhere that at least one of the participants were from the Chicago area.

WesternDC6B

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:12 pm

B757Forever wrote:

Further irony: this thread is filed under CIVIL Aviation.
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

AWACSooner

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:19 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
Rather than make a fuss, I took the seat behind her. Of course, once we were airborne, she smirked and reclined her seat as far as possible.

She would've been feeling my knees in her spine for that entire flight had she done that to me. Good job maintaining your bearing.

sldispatcher

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:38 pm

CALMSP wrote:
I wonder if we'll see AA ban them for life.

I hope they would, but they are probably afraid to do so.

If it delayed the flight at all...at all....charge the appropriate ones on a FEDERAL level with interfering with a commercial flight.

Time to stop handing out participation trophies and worrying about hurting someone's feelings all of the time.

Interflug74

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:50 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

Many years ago, I was flying Great Lakes MSP-IWD-IMT-ORD to add Ironwood and Iron Mountain to my logbook. I got off the airplane at both IWD and IMT, partly because Beech 1900s don't have lavatories, but also to see the inside of both terminals. Great Lakes didn't assign seats, so I placed my backpack on my seat, to indicate the seat was occupied. At Iron Mountain, the TSA allowed local originating passengers to board first, then waited to let through passengers on after all the IMT originating people were aboard. When I boarded, I found my backpack at the front of the airplane, and a middle aged "Karen" in my seat. When I politely asked for my seat back, she snarled "Isn't there another seat that will meet your needs?". The only seat left was in the row behind her, which was the last row; this seat didn't recline. Rather than make a fuss, I took the seat behind her. Of course, once we were airborne, she smirked and reclined her seat as far as possible.

I kept my cool and didn't say anything unkind. However, on my NW DC-9 back from ORD to MSP, I had two stiff gin and tonics to reward myself for not lowering myself to her level.

Charles Bukowski comes to my mind

maps4ltd

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 pm

Okcflyer wrote:

That was the same conclusion this young Youtuber came to when he did a trip report on an American flight from MIA to DFW that was delayed 2.5 hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgTfAHw ... ndWinglets

I've flown through Miami a few times and met some great cabin crew and some indifferent ground agents. I was once delayed 3 hours there on a MIA-STL flight (A319) for weather and a broken seat. I understand rolling delays, but they would let us go a full half hour over the scheduled time before updating it. They also didn't communicate very well.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

kamloops

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:33 pm

I once had a pregnant women demand me to give her the emergency exit row seat I was seated in, so she could sit beside her boyfriend.

I explained to her pregnant women aren't allowed emergency exit row seats, maybe not the smartest move, I suggest to her boyfriend maybe switch seat seats with someone seated by her, but he didn't want to.

BBDFlyer

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:48 pm

They were revenue standbys.

alfa164

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:09 am

BBDFlyer wrote:
They were revenue standbys.

Do you know if they were banned from future AA flights?

We can only hope so...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

toering

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:17 am

I'm going on a limb in saying the dude in the red is probably the one who went to jail. Looked like he was punchin to kill. YIKES!
Welcome to America folks.

YQBexYHZBGM

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:24 am

Revelation wrote:
A bunch of the old "Airline" US A&E shows focused on WN's customer service staff ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_( ... _TV_series) ) recently showed up on my u2b feed. Should be mandatory viewing for future customer service people, IMO. Also the earlier UK series are now showing up too.

One memorable episode featured an arrival gate agent who had to handle a complaint about the behavior of passengers onboard a recently arrived flight. She went down to the aircraft and apparently witnessed total mayhem, then came back to the head of the bridge and sincerely apologized to the passengers who complained, saying that no one should have had to endure whatever was happening onboard. Wow. I can only imagine something comparable to the MIA brawl...

travaz

Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:16 am

It just makes me so sad to see young people act like this. I am from another era where politeness was the norm. I remember a night at ORD where I arrived from PHX connecting to BDL and there was a total ORD Ice storm and everything was cancelled. We were told to go to the AA ticket counter for rebooking. People were shouting and banging on the counter because the flights were cancelled. When it came my time to speak with an agent I smiled and asked Her if she would like me to stay here for a bit so she could take a break from people yelling at her. She said Thank you and we had some pleasant banter and she rebooked me on a flight for the next day. I said Thank You and she said wait a minute we are not supposed to do this but here is a hotel voucher and food. The rest of the screamers spent the night in the terminal and I had a nice dinner and comfy room. I just don't understand how people think they are going to get anything by belittling a CSR. Human nature says you mess with me and I will route you via china! lol

tys777

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:32 am

Thread has run its course off topic. It is now locked

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos