Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YALAS
Topic Author

LAM and Interflug to Maputo

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:26 pm

Hello all, hope you are well.

I have a few questions regarding IF and TM's operations to MPM from SXF.

Firstly, I was wondering if anyone had ideas on the dates in which services started on each airline? and potential routing?

I know TM was operating with a Boeing 707 from at least 1980 on a MPM-DAR-SOF-SXF routing and switched to a DC10 at some point at least up to 1991, ending up on an MPM-CDG-CPH-SXF routing once per week - after which I believe the route was dropped.

All I know for IF is that they flew the route in 1984 at the most - not sure when it was started or dropped.

Secondly, I was wondering if these routes were flown concurrently with each other or if one airline dropped the route so the other picked it up?

Thank you for any help. I am doing some research into TM's DC10/long haul operations, but it seems to be something with not a great deal of info, unless I am looking in the wrong places!

airbazar

Re: LAM and Interflug to Maputo

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:53 pm

YALAS wrote:
I know TM was operating with a Boeing 707 from at least 1980 on a MPM-DAR-SOF-SXF routing and switched to a DC10 at some point at least up to 1991, ending up on an MPM-CDG-CPH-SXF routing once per week - after which I believe the route was dropped.

One correction, I'm pretty sure is was a DC-8 leased from UTA, and not a B707.

GoldenArrow

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:45 pm

According to this source https://www.gerdspriess.de/Interflug%20 ... nnetz.html IF started flights to Maputo in 1979.

The routing was SXF-ALG-LOS-LAD-MPM

In 1986 it changed to SXF-LOS-BZV-LAD-MPM

In 1987 the stopover in LOS was terminated because of security concerns.

The frequency to Maputo in 1987 was one weekly. No aircarft type mentioned. I suppose IL 62.

YALAS
Topic Author

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:03 pm

airbazar wrote:

Oh interesting thank you. I knew they had a Boeing 707 in the fleet at one point so just assumed. Never knew they had a DC8 as well

airbazar

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:10 pm

YALAS wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Oh interesting thank you. I knew they had a Boeing 707 in the fleet at one point so just assumed. Never knew they had a DC8 as well

I'm pretty sure they never had a 707 in the fleet. You must be confusing with another airline, maybe TAAG.
They entered the jet age with 737's, then briefly leased a DC-8 from UTA until the DC-10 arrived. After the DC-10 they operated a 762 on and off and I think an L-1011 for a very short period of time.

eta unknown

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:55 pm

I flew the MPM-CDG sector with LAM in 1991 on the DC-10 (brown seat covers with Mozambican artworks of people on the middle cabin dividers). I remember passing the long closed IF office in MPM- bare shelves inside, but the logo outside the door. From memory TM was operating to LIS, MAD, CDG, CPH and SXF- Berlin existed to transport Mozambican workers to East Germany as a form of payment for whatever East Germany was giving Mozambique. There was also a LAM IL-62 that I heard sometimes operated to SXF- don't know about CDG/CPH. UTA codeshared on the CDG-MPM sector. The only other European flights that operated to MPM at the time were TAP to LIS once a week (L15) and Aeroflot bi-weekly (IL-62).

LAM DC-10 longhaul was the once weekly CDG-CPH-SXF flight and a once weekly MAD-LIS flight. However, when the aircraft arrived at LIS it operated a few sublease flights for TACV LIS-SAL once or twice a week before returning to MPM. The pilots were some of the few Portuguese who stayed in Mozambique after independence.

YALAS
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:19 pm

airbazar wrote:
YALAS wrote:
airbazar wrote:

I'm pretty sure they never had a 707 in the fleet. You must be confusing with another airline, maybe TAAG.
They entered the jet age with 737's, then briefly leased a DC-8 from UTA until the DC-10 arrived. After the DC-10 they operated a 762 on and off and I think an L-1011 for a very short period of time.

I’m very very certain there’s a picture on here of one

https://www.airliners.net/photo/LAM-Lin ... C/916970/L

YALAS
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:20 pm

eta unknown wrote:
I flew the MPM-CDG sector with LAM in 1991 on the DC-10 (brown seat covers with Mozambican artworks of people on the middle cabin dividers). I remember passing the long closed IF office in MPM- bare shelves inside, but the logo outside the door. From memory TM was operating to LIS, MAD, CDG, CPH and SXF- Berlin existed to transport Mozambican workers to East Germany as a form of payment for whatever East Germany was giving Mozambique. There was also a LAM IL-62 that I heard sometimes operated to SXF- don't know about CDG/CPH. UTA codeshared on the CDG-MPM sector. The only other European flights that operated to MPM at the time were TAP to LIS once a week (L15) and Aeroflot bi-weekly (IL-62).

LAM DC-10 longhaul was the once weekly CDG-CPH-SXF flight and a once weekly MAD-LIS flight. However, when the aircraft arrived at LIS it operated a few sublease flights for TACV LIS-SAL once or twice a week before returning to MPM. The pilots were some of the few Portuguese who stayed in Mozambique after independence.

Great info thanks!

airbazar

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:43 pm

YALAS wrote:
airbazar wrote:
YALAS wrote:

I’m very very certain there’s a picture on here of one

https://www.airliners.net/photo/LAM-Lin ... C/916970/L

Oh wow, incredible :shock:
I did some research on that and found this:
https://www.707.adastron.com/qantas/VH-EAE.htm
G-BFLD 16MAY80 Rolled out at Lasham in full DETA colours
G-BFLD DEC80 Sold to GATX Booth
G-BFLD 28MAR81 Returned from a lease to LAM
G-BFLD 12APR81 Noted at Munich in DETA Linhas Aerea de Mocambique colours with BMA titles.

It looks to have been with LAM for less than a year, from May 1980 to April 1981.