Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airlinermiami
Topic Author

Iberia launches seasonal service to Male (Maldives)

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:20 am

Iberia is adding a new destination to its network: Male
the new seasonal twice a week service starts July 2, 2021.
Tickets are available for sale[b][b][/b][/b]
Madrid -Male
MAD 21:20 11:25+ MLE Mon-Fri a330-200
MLE 22:00 06:10+ MAD Wed-Sun. a300-200

LH748

Re: Iberia launches seasonal service to Male (Maldives)

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:35 am

How can Spain to the Maldives be a market? Must be one of the least expected routes this year
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

chonetsao

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:00 am

LH748 wrote:
How can Spain to the Maldives be a market? Must be one of the least expected routes this year

I don't want to sound rude, but why do you think there should not be a market for Spaniards to visit Maldives? Is that a right only reserved to certain Europeans but not Spaniard?

I mean, before Iberia opened the route from Madrid to Shanghai and Tokyo, would you also consider there is no market at all between Spain and Asia?

I am genuinely curious on your remark. Please kindly explain. Again, I am not trying to pick a fight or accuse you of something, but really puzzled on your question and the way you questioned.

DL220MSP

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:20 am

LH748 wrote:

Not all of Spain is sunny and warm year round. In winter they perhaps want to be there, too.

SCQ83

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:23 am

IMO this is part of a long term trend (and certainly Maldives being very open during COVID helps).

Ten or fifteen years ago, if Spaniards wanted some tropical sun, the place to go was Cancún or Punta Cana. Under normal circumstances, there are several daily flights from Madrid to CUN/PUJ to serve those tourists, but also business traffic (many hotels in CUN/PUJ are owned by Spanish companies) and in the case of the Dominican Republic, also VFR traffic to serve the large Dominican diaspora in Spain. Travelling to a place that has the same language and where half the city is owned or managed by Spaniards made things very easy for tourists (many of whom - older generations - did not speak English or do not feel comfortable not being able to speak Spanish).

The arrival of the ME3 to Spain (Emirates only started Spain in 2010) slashed prices to South East Asia, so Thailand became cost competitive with the Caribbean. Younger generations feel more confortable in English and the rise of Internet (Booking, AirBNB) made even easier to travel to those places. And then Instagram... Thailand or Bali look more exotic in IG than a beach in Samaná.
Last edited by SCQ83 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

EK2

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:23 am

chonetsao wrote:
LH748 wrote:

I don't want to sound rude, but why do you think there should not be a market for Spaniards to visit Maldives? Is that a right only reserved to certain Europeans but not Spaniard?

I mean, before Iberia opened the route from Madrid to Shanghai and Tokyo, would you also consider there is no market at all between Spain and Asia?

I am genuinely curious on your remark. Please kindly explain. Again, I am not trying to pick a fight or accuse you of something, but really puzzled on your question and the way you questioned.

As someone who has been to the Maldives a fair bit, I can tell you that there are minimal Spanish visitors. In fact of the the 1.6 million or so visitors in 2019 the amount of Spanish visitors didn't get into the top ten. Even Switzerland with just over 3k per year (I think its around 1.75%) got in the top ten. However Spain seems to be an emerging market. I found it surprising as well but I don't think the the inference was that there shouldn't be a market just that it was surprising.
When all is said and done, more often than not, more is ever said than done

SCQ83

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:27 am

EK2 wrote:
As someone who has been to the Maldives a fair bit, I can tell you that there are minimal Spanish visitors. In fact of the the 1.6 million or so visitors in 2019 the amount of Spanish visitors didn't get into the top ten. Even Switzerland with just over 3k per year (I think its around 1.75%) got in the top ten. However Spain seems to be an emerging market. I found it surprising as well but I don't think the the inference was that there shouldn't be a market just that it was surprising.

In 2020 it was in the Top 10, above France

https://visitmaldives.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... ho376m.pdf

tobsw

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:11 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
EK2 wrote:

That´s between the 15th July and 25th November 2020. which unless I´ve got something wrong, is not the full 2020 data set.

YQBexYHZBGM

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:16 pm

chonetsao wrote:
LH748 wrote:

I don't want to sound rude, but why do you think there should not be a market for Spaniards to visit Maldives? Is that a right only reserved to certain Europeans but not Spaniard? I mean, before Iberia opened the route from Madrid to Shanghai and Tokyo, would you also consider there is no market at all between Spain and Asia? I am genuinely curious on your remark. Please kindly explain. Again, I am not trying to pick a fight or accuse you of something, but really puzzled on your question and the way you questioned.

For a lengthy period beginning in the 1980s, IB had a more global outlook, perhaps not quite to the same degree as KL, BA or AF, but significant nonetheless. Their corporate strategy clearly included connecting passengers originating in the Americas and elsewhere in Europe (outside Spain) to other destinations worldwide through their hubs in MAD or BCN. They promoted the global reach of their network in print advertising, and if I recall correctly, those ads included a claim that that IB was the 5th or 6th largest carrier worldwide at the time. (I'm not sure exactly what data they based that claim on -- it may have been route miles).

All that to say, peninsular Spain is not the only potential source of passengers. While MLE is currently served by a number of European airlines, there are some notable gaps (KL in particular). In a year with reduced demand for business travel, it may make sense for IB to try out a leisure route to a growing luxury destination rather than leave the aircraft parked. And, given that there are no nonstops from any airport in the Americas to MLE, IB stands as good a chance as any of its competitors to capture some of this market; better to be present than be overlooked, perhaps.

Mini1000

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:53 pm

For a lengthy period beginning in the 1980s, IB had a more global outlook, perhaps not quite to the same degree as KL, BA or AF, but significant nonetheless. Their corporate strategy clearly included connecting passengers originating in the Americas and elsewhere in Europe (outside Spain) to other destinations worldwide through their hubs in MAD or BCN. They promoted the global reach of their network in print advertising, and if I recall correctly, those ads included a claim that that IB was the 5th or 6th largest carrier worldwide at the time. (I'm not sure exactly what data they based that claim on -- it may have been route miles).

Here's a good print ad example from 1981 :)

https://www.todocoleccion.net/coleccion ... ~x86785560

tobsw

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:02 pm

IB is trying to capture the Maldives leisure segment. I´d have thought they´d go with a heavy premium plane, (330-300 or 350) but instead they are going to fly with the heavy Y plane, with only 19 seats in business class.

They have partnered with some travel agents so they can fill the plane.

The advantage is that they don´t have a direct competitor.

However, I´d say that ca Cancun route would make a lot of more sense to Iberia. There´s quite a big premium market that would rather fly with IB instead of Air Europa or one of the other leisure operators.

ContinentalEWR

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:13 pm

Everyone is piling into the Maldives, as it is generally open and with few places to go, it kind of makes sense.

FCOTSTW

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:55 pm

LH748 wrote:

Lots of continental Europeans go to the Maldives. I am sure they are counting both on OD and on connections to feed this flight.

hohd

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:01 pm

airlinermiami wrote:
Madrid -Male

Main reason is due to Covid, Maldives is generally open without too many restrictions. Maldives has become very popular now due to Covid restrictions elsewhere, but even before it was fast gaining popularity. Also the plane remains in Male for nearly 11 hours, must be the same crew returning.

tobsw

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:12 pm

hohd wrote:
Main reason is due to Covid, Maldives is generally open without too many restrictions. Maldives has become very popular now due to Covid restrictions elsewhere, but even before it was fast gaining popularity. Also the plane remains in Male for nearly 11 hours, must be the same crew returning.

Would you like to borrow my calculator? Lol

I think IB crew are quite disappointed. LoL. With a 2 weekly flight they were expecting 3-4 days in the Maldives with each rotation. Turns out IB has scheduled the flights so that the same crew returns, about 34h after landing.

airlinermiami
Topic Author

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:18 pm

I think Iberia may consider other destinations as Male as a way to diversify their route network and benefit from a potential demand. The same way Male came as surprise to many of us, other unexpected destinations may follow.

a350lover

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:29 pm

airlinermiami wrote:
I think Iberia may consider other destinations as Male as a way to diversify their route network and benefit from a potential demand. The same way Male came as surprise to many of us, other unexpected destinations may follow.

Same as TAP does, probably isn’t the most efficient way. IAG is very conservative when thinking outside the box for the markets IB serve. Don’t see them venturing into many other experiments like this...
Last edited by a350lover on Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alfa164

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:29 pm

LH748 wrote:

Connections. The Maldives are "open", while most everywhere else isn't. It's much like the US airlines piling-on flights to Alaska, Western National Parks, and Iceland; this summer, at least, vacationers see fewer options, and the airlines are jumping to find those options that are available and add flights. IB will see some O&D, but connections will be the key - and, keep in mind, the Maldives are not an inexpensive place to go, so I am sure the flights will be priced accordingly.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

usflyer msp

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:31 pm

tobsw wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
EK2 wrote:

That´s between the 15th July and 25th November 2020. which unless I´ve got something wrong, is not the full 2020 data set.

...but it is exactly the time of year that IB is operating this seasonal flight.

330lover

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:34 pm

airlinermiami wrote:
Madrid -Male

That's a long layover. Surely to do with crew rest, avoiding to spend days in the Maldives.
But I thought MLE is not that large, is there enough parking space to keep a widebody parked for 1,5 days, assuming they are not the only airlines operating this kind of schedule?
Apparently yes, I suppose...
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

a350lover

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:01 pm

330lover wrote:
airlinermiami wrote:
Madrid -Male

That's a long layover. Surely to do with crew rest, avoiding to spend days in the Maldives.
But I thought MLE is not that large, is there enough parking space to keep a widebody parked for 1,5 days, assuming they are not the only airlines operating this kind of schedule?

And also to consider, is parking the a332 for 1,5 days in Male cheaper than rostering the crew with a few more days downroute? This is happening in many places around the globe which aren’t too busy atm for obvious reasons but this won’t last forever...

ThomasCook

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:27 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
tobsw wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

...but it is exactly the time of year that IB is operating this seasonal flight.

You do realise that Spaniards like to take summer holidays too right? Just because you live in a warm country, does not mean that you don't want to venture somewhere tropical for a holiday. Many Spaniards like to escape the big cities in summer. My cousin lives in Madrid and has been planning a holiday to the Maldives for some time. Me and my Spanish partner are also headed there later this year.

Clearly IB has gauged the market, has crunched the numbers and sees demand. IAG won't just be launching a route on whim.

a350lover

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:36 pm

This will be in addition to the BA service Heathrow-Male which is up to 3x/w and I reckon operates under the same pattern, with the BA B777 remaining parked in Male for long hours while crew rest.

airlinermiami
Topic Author

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:38 pm

Spain is not a warm country , many parts of the country have cold winters and even in some areas in the north have mild summers , like in the UK or Ireland.
Understood that there are regions in Spain that have mild winters but it is is the whole country.
Sort of warm winters you can find in the Canary islands but the islands are around 2-3 hours fly south of mainland Spain.

migair54

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:10 pm

a350lover wrote:
And also to consider, is parking the a332 for 1,5 days in Male cheaper than rostering the crew with a few more days downroute? This is happening in many places around the globe which aren’t too busy atm for obvious reasons but this won’t last forever...

a350lover wrote:
This will be in addition to the BA service Heathrow-Male which is up to 3x/w and I reckon operates under the same pattern, with the BA B777 remaining parked in Male for long hours while crew rest.

They can park the plane on the East apron, many planes are towed there for the long stays. Then the crew can go by road to Male and stay in any hotel in the city.

airlinermiami wrote:

I won't be surprised if we see something like Seychelles, Zanzibar or Mauritius, or if SE Asia open up, some flights to Thailand.

continental004

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:13 pm

LH748 wrote:

Anecdotal example, but a former student of mine in Madrid and his wife spent their honeymoon in the Maldives.

Crosswind

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:43 pm

a350lover wrote:
IAG is very conservative when thinking outside the box for the markets IB serve. Don’t see them venturing into many other experiments like this...

Just one point... IAG does not make commercial decisions for the various opcos. IAG controls the purse strings for investments etc. They do not make route decisions for individual airlines. Each airline within IAG maintains commercial independence to make their own decisions, although they may choose or work with other companies within the group where allowed by law and competition authorities. There is no central function within IAG making strategy and route decisions for individual opcos.

Best Regards
CROSSWIND

LAX772LR

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:28 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
https://visitmaldives.s3.amazonaws.com/roOrMWqP/puho376m.pdf

Interesting data.

I'm surprised that the USA ranks as highly as it does, considering how few airlines/route offer convenient connections between most stateside cities and Male.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

ro1960

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:44 pm

330lover wrote:

The airport has been expanded with a new runway and more stands near the threshold of the old runway.
Do not compensate for the lack of skills with a surplus of opinion.

lesfalls

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:09 pm

Crosswind wrote:
a350lover wrote:
IAG is very conservative when thinking outside the box for the markets IB serve. Don’t see them venturing into many other experiments like this...

Just one point... IAG does not make commercial decisions for the various opcos. IAG controls the purse strings for investments etc. They do not make route decisions for individual airlines. Each airline within IAG maintains commercial independence to make their own decisions, although they may choose or work with other companies within the group where allowed by law and competition authorities. There is no central function within IAG making strategy and route decisions for individual opcos.

Best Regards
CROSSWIND

True put the expectation of profit on the routes for the whole IAG group is much higher compared to AF or the LH Group where they more likely focus on market share.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

TC957

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:48 pm

The Maldives have lots of really high-end luxury island resorts that have opened up in the last few years and I'm sure more are coming soon. MLE airport upgraded to handle more flights. Won't be surprised if KLM and VS are next to the Maldives party.

spinotter

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:49 am

tobsw wrote:
hohd wrote:

Would you like to borrow my calculator? Lol

I think IB crew are quite disappointed. LoL. With a 2 weekly flight they were expecting 3-4 days in the Maldives with each rotation. Turns out IB has scheduled the flights so that the same crew returns, about 34h after landing.

I was wondering about the schedule. Is it more economical to keep the plane on the ground for 34 hours, compared with having a second crew? What is the minimum time on the ground for a single crew? Why 34 hours?

tobsw

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:56 am

usflyer msp wrote:

This is partially correct, because IB is only operating in July & August. But if you look into the details, only during July-August 2020, Maldives received less than 10.000 visitors.

Of which... in July 2020, only 62 Spaniards visited Maldives. In August, only 5 (yes FIVE) Spanish citizens visited Maldives.

More interesting are the 2019 data, where in July 2019 4,313 Spaniards visited the islands, and in August 6,555.

Surely IB is not throwing a bullet and fly wherever it lands. There's clearly a demand pre-COVID-19.

In July and August, IB is planning to sell about 5,000 seats in total (2,500 seats per month). Is it too much? We don't know. Only time will tell.

tobsw

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:00 am

spinotter wrote:
I was wondering about the schedule. Is it more economical to keep the plane on the ground for 34 hours, compared with having a second crew? What is the minimum time on the ground for a single crew? Why 34 hours?

For the time being it seems it's cheaper to roster one crew and keep the plane on the ground for about 34 hours. They are optimising "vacation time", so both are night flights. But overall, for July and August IB is pretty much using 1x 330-200 for this operation.

migair54

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:43 pm

ro1960 wrote:
330lover wrote:

The airport has been expanded with a new runway and more stands near the threshold of the old runway.

The new runways is not open yet, right now the airport is quite limited because the number of parking and also because the moment a wide-body plane start the push back the runways is not usable, so that make things a bit complicated sometimes, the expansion is also to the East of the airport where they park now the long stays, some more parking are in progress and a whole new terminal, but it will take a long time to be usable.
Even the new runway is still far away from being operational, the moment they have the new runway and some more parking we could see more airlines adding flights, i think Vistara and Indigo are also adding flights to India.
TC957 wrote:
The Maldives have lots of really high-end luxury island resorts that have opened up in the last few years and I'm sure more are coming soon. MLE airport upgraded to handle more flights. Won't be surprised if KLM and VS are next to the Maldives party.

some tiny islands a couple of miles south of Male, near the Hard Rock hotel, are getting a lot of new land, I don't know if that's for resorts or what, but it looks like it's perfect for it. Even the island where the airport is located, Hulhumale, it's full of construction, most of it apartment towers and a big area for boats,

airlinermiami
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 am

I still think this flight will be profitable and Iberia may possibly extent the service beyond August.

airzona11

Mon May 03, 2021 3:28 am

Obviously tackling the O/D to make sense, but I wonder if they would capture any limited North American transfer traffic?

chonetsao wrote:
LH748 wrote:

I see you are suspecting controversy, however, comparing Tokyo/Shanghai to Maldives is like saying they fly to New York so why wouldn’t they fly to Hawaii. Entirely different markets and market size.

Spain has beach destinations, Male is a far away, very expensive, niche destination. Take a look at how many flights to how many few cities there are and you’ll see it’s very limited. I count under 30 departures from MLE today.

chonetsao

Mon May 03, 2021 9:22 am

airzona11 wrote:
Obviously tackling the O/D to make sense, but I wonder if they would capture any limited North American transfer traffic?

I see you are suspecting controversy, however, comparing Tokyo/Shanghai to Maldives is like saying they fly to New York so why wouldn’t they fly to Hawaii. Entirely different markets and market size.

Spain has beach destinations, Male is a far away, very expensive, niche destination. Take a look at how many flights to how many few cities there are and you’ll see it’s very limited. I count under 30 departures from MLE today.

So your logic is:
1, Spain has so many beaches, so Spaniards do not need to go a beach destination; and
2, Male is too far away, too expensive, Spanish people can not afford (your own words, maybe you could take a minute to think why it is wrong).

Then please tell me why Iberia has been flying to the Caribbean for years so that Spaniard can enjoy expensive Caribbean holidays while they have their own Gran Canarias? If my calculation is correct, Caribbean islands and Maldives from Madrid is roughly similar at 10-11 hours flying time mark. How is that too far away if the flight time is comparable?

Have you also noticed that there are plenty islands in the Maldives at the USD$250-350 range? Which is similar if not cheaper if one can afford Caribbean resorts like Sandals or Paradisus or a good hotels in Ibiza and Gran Canarias?

I rest my case.

I hope people instead of criticise airlines flying a route that defies your logic, but trying to understand the connection and reasons behind the decision first. Comments like it is too expensive (niche) for a certain country residence is broadline racist remark. Airlines open a new route is not because they want to loose money or throw a dart on the board, they see opportunities some of us here did not see or did not understand it existed.

a350lover

Mon May 03, 2021 10:21 am

Inaugural flight MAD-MLE on 02/07 is already booked at 55%. Similar figures for the second MAD-MLE.

peterinlisbon

Mon May 03, 2021 10:37 am

chonetsao wrote:
LH748 wrote:

I used to live in Madrid and when I was there, there were hardly any routes to Asia. Iberia's only route to Asia was Tokyo, which got cancelled because it was losing money. There was a massive focus on South America with Iberia and other Spanish airlines flying to almost every major city there. I was on one of the first flights to China with Air Europa, which also didn't last. Generally to get to Asia it was necessary to go via somewhere else in Europe.

Over the years since the opening of the new Barajas terminals things have changed and I think new aircraft with longer range and lower fuel consumption have made longer, thinner routes like this more profitable. Spanish people have become wealthier and more adventurous in their tastes. Perhaps, ironically, airlines like Qatar and Emirates have given people the opportunity to get to know these places and now there is enough demand for a direct flight that bypasses their hubs. And certainly Madrid and many parts of Spain are very cold in in the winter. This year there was a huge amount of snowfall in Madrid.

airzona11

Mon May 03, 2021 2:47 pm

chonetsao wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

So your logic is:
1, Spain has so many beaches, so Spaniards do not need to go a beach destination; and
2, Male is too far away, too expensive, Spanish people can not afford (your own words, maybe you could take a minute to think why it is wrong).

Then please tell me why Iberia has been flying to the Caribbean for years so that Spaniard can enjoy expensive Caribbean holidays while they have their own Gran Canarias? If my calculation is correct, Caribbean islands and Maldives from Madrid is roughly similar at 10-11 hours flying time mark. How is that too far away if the flight time is comparable?

Have you also noticed that there are plenty islands in the Maldives at the USD$250-350 range? Which is similar if not cheaper if one can afford Caribbean resorts like Sandals or Paradisus or a good hotels in Ibiza and Gran Canarias?

I rest my case.

I hope people instead of criticise airlines flying a route that defies your logic, but trying to understand the connection and reasons behind the decision first. Comments like it is too expensive (niche) for a certain country residence is broadline racist remark. Airlines open a new route is not because they want to loose money or throw a dart on the board, they see opportunities some of us here did not see or did not understand it existed.

I assume in your analysis you remember Spain being one of the colonizing counties of the Caribbean and hence the ties / travel demand?

Who are you so angry at?

by738

Mon May 03, 2021 4:46 pm

...sounds like some think IB haven’t done any route market analysis. They are not hugely dynamic or adventurous but they are not daft.
I would be surprised if there has been no intra IAG discussions eg with BA and their LHR route.

Galwayman

Mon May 03, 2021 5:31 pm

airlinermiami wrote:

I agree, IAG carriers are looking for routes . EI is talking about the Carribbean , IB and BA will probably launch Phuket for August if the sandbox goes ahead

airlinermiami
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2021 11:57 pm

it will not surprise me if IB launches Phuket from Madrid as a seasonal destination.
I am sure IB won’t be struggling much to fill those flights with both local and connecting passengers.
Covid19 has made the whole airlines industry to rethink their strategies and objectives at least for the short term.

Aquila3

Tue May 04, 2021 1:36 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
IMO this is part of a long term trend (and certainly Maldives being very open during COVID helps).

.. Bali look more exotic in IG than a beach in Samaná.

Been in both places, give me Samana´ all the time. Call me old fashion latino but really, no way.
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

SCQ83

Tue May 04, 2021 6:49 pm

airlinermiami wrote:
it will not surprise me if IB launches Phuket from Madrid as a seasonal destination.

I don't think so. No major EU carrier flies to Phuket other than Finnair (huge local market) and some charters from Scandinavia and the likes.

Also Thailand is a very different animal. Spaniards rarely stay in Phuket for a week (like many Scandinavians do), they usually visit the whole country (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, etc.). Maldives is about a 1-week in a resort.

Maldives is also way more expensive (and shorter flight) so more people willing to pay a premium for a non-stop compared to Thailand.

airlinermiami
Topic Author

Wed May 05, 2021 11:44 am

What new seasonal routes or destinations should Iberia launch next after Male?
May be is not Phuket but what others . I am sure both the IAG/Iberia management are looking at other destinations as a way to diversify markets and fill potential demand for O/D and connections.

migair54

Wed May 05, 2021 11:55 am

airlinermiami wrote:
What new seasonal routes or destinations should Iberia launch next after Male?
May be is not Phuket but what others . I am sure both the IAG/Iberia management are looking at other destinations as a way to diversify markets and fill potential demand for O/D and connections.

There was a Spanish airline flying to Mauritius before, maybe now it's time for Iberia to try to fill some seats flying there 3-4 times a week. IAG does not have a big presence in East Africa or Indian Ocean, so maybe they could try something in the future to NBO, or JRO-DAR, but now the situation is not good for that markets.

I really think the moment the pandemic is over we will not see any more flights like this, Spaniards will go back to traditional Spanish speaker markets like Yucatan, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica...

YQBexYHZBGM

Wed May 05, 2021 12:21 pm

migair54 wrote:
airlinermiami wrote:
What new seasonal routes or destinations should Iberia launch next after Male? May be is not Phuket but what others . I am sure both the IAG/Iberia management are looking at other destinations as a way to diversify markets and fill potential demand for O/D and connections.
... I really think the moment the pandemic is over we will not see any more flights like this, Spaniards will go back to traditional Spanish speaker markets like Yucatan, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica...

RTB Roatán ?
I'm not really serious about that, but it's as good a guess as any I suppose.

capshandler

Wed May 05, 2021 12:32 pm

I think it’s an interesting move in a moment when airlines need to find demand creatively. I am Spaniard, Iberia Platino tier, and I already know where I’m going to spend my avios.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos