Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
IrishLessor
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:44 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 23, 2021 9:37 am

Fliplot wrote:
The incentive for FR is money! But when the incentive stops so does FR. Remember they have been in SNN before. Skynet, Virgin Express, Eujet, Cityjet, even Ryanair failed at SNN. Is that not telling us that SNN is destined for very limited services?
As a long shot I expect EI to be running twice daily flights to JFK/BOS from DUB, with one of the flights doing a SNN stop! How ironic.


Flippilot,
I can't see Aer Lingus doing a Dublin USA with a stop in Shannon, the costs of a stop are prohibitive. One semi regular demand returns the 321N is the perfect vehicle. I'd agree re Ryanair, they have 100s of airports offering deals and lower costs, in my view its far from a secure arrangement. What Ryanair were doing pre pandemic looks like they had reached a commercially sustainable level. Shannon need Aer Lingus, the Atlantic routes are hugely important both for business travellers (year round) and leisure (inbound), they also need in tandem LHR, BHX and EDI, which support the case for JFK/BOS as there are a level of transit passengers. The plans to do CDG and BCN, though they never got off the ground show us that Aer Lingus can bring an extra dimension, short haul routes supported by transit passengers.

In relation to crew base, they operate BHD without a 'base', this has worked out and though BHD is closer than SNN to DUB, I don't see much difference. There will inevitably be crew living closer to SNN than DUB and they could continue as at present without the base and associated facilities.
 
Fliplot
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:23 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 23, 2021 10:31 am

The BHD flights are not 5 hours plus so cant be compared to SNN. I am struggling to understand how you shuttle 10 cabin crew to SNN every or most days. Or where are the overnights - SNN/JFK/BOS? Is there that much saving on clising the crew base or is this EI using the opportunity to get rid of long term exoensive staff?

The FR announcement was quite convenient, even too well timed! God bless the Polish travellers.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2337
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 23, 2021 12:13 pm

Fliplot wrote:
The BHD flights are not 5 hours plus so cant be compared to SNN. I am struggling to understand how you shuttle 10 cabin crew to SNN every or most days. Or where are the overnights - SNN/JFK/BOS? Is there that much saving on clising the crew base or is this EI using the opportunity to get rid of long term exoensive staff?

The FR announcement was quite convenient, even too well timed! God bless the Polish travellers.

I believe the EI pilots that crew the SNN transatlantic flights stay at a hotel in Limerick the night before (open to correction on that, arrangements may have changed in recent years). I presume a similar arrangement will be put in place for cabin crew now.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 23, 2021 12:31 pm

Link to this afternoons broadcast here :


Image


https://twitter.com/rtetwip/status/1396 ... 92549?s=21
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 2161
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 23, 2021 1:49 pm

Fliplot wrote:
The BHD flights are not 5 hours plus so cant be compared to SNN. I am struggling to understand how you shuttle 10 cabin crew to SNN every or most days. Or where are the overnights - SNN/JFK/BOS? Is there that much saving on clising the crew base or is this EI using the opportunity to get rid of long term exoensive staff?

The FR announcement was quite convenient, even too well timed! God bless the Polish travellers.


80 crew at Shannon seems tight for the level of flights. I am thinking have Dublin or Cork based crew been flying for the base or did they employ seasonal staff which wouldn't be counted.

Another factor might be the level of hours crew were rostered to work and if closing the base means they could get extra hours by basing at Dublin. I don’t know the crew rostering process at EI.
 
Fliplot
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:23 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 23, 2021 2:41 pm

80 crew for 2 daily flights to the US and 3 rotations to London seems about right! Going forward I can see how they will crew the LHR flights but still puzzled by the US rotations.
 
nrm2004
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:38 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 23, 2021 4:17 pm

Lots of options for crewing those flights... one suggestion would be to do what BA do with some of their east coast USA flights. It’s called a back to back. Essentially the crew do two trips with 24hrs in the middle in London in a hotel provided by BA.

So for EI it could be DUB/JFK/SNN/JFK/DUB with a night each in New York then Shannon then New York again. Just one option! Though it requires one of each of the DUB/BOS and DUB/JFK to stay as 321neo flights - in normal times they are a330

For the London flights I believe the pilots do it as part of a London trip from dublin - so a night in London, then a night in SNN etc etc. Crew could do the same
 
EI121
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 23, 2021 6:07 pm

Not adding fuel to the fire here, but would it be have been more logical to have a SNN/ORK crew base? While I am aware both airport are +130km apart - it may have reduced costs and helped with the seasonality element, particularly with SNN.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10092
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 23, 2021 7:03 pm

Belarus forced a Ryanair 737, en route from ATH to VNO to land at Minsk. It appears that a bomb scare was faked; the passengers included a prominent Belarussian dissident, who was removed from the aircraft. The aircraft was escorted by a Belarussian MiG-29 from entering Belarussian airspace until its landing at Minsk.

The aircraft was allowed to depart after 5h on the ground at Minsk.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57219860

It goes without saying that this was an appalling and unacceptable incident. I hope (and I haven't a lot of optimism here), that the EU will take stern action, including a ban on flights to/from Belarus and a range of other sanctions. They must also return the individual concerned to Vilnius; he apparently has a death sentence in Belarus.

A clear message needs to be sent, that this is unacceptable. If not, it will be carte blanche for other countries to act improperly towards the EU. As the aircraft is Irish registered, I would hope that our government would take a lead in advocating action.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 23, 2021 7:12 pm

kaitak wrote:
As the aircraft is Irish registered, I would hope that our government would take a lead in advocating action.


The Reg was Polish so the Polish government have already made a statement .
 
IrishLessor
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:44 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 23, 2021 9:05 pm

Fliplot wrote:
The BHD flights are not 5 hours plus so cant be compared to SNN. I am struggling to understand how you shuttle 10 cabin crew to SNN every or most days. Or where are the overnights - SNN/JFK/BOS? Is there that much saving on clising the crew base or is this EI using the opportunity to get rid of long term exoensive staff?

The FR announcement was quite convenient, even too well timed! God bless the Polish travellers.

Thanks fliplot,
Like I've suggested it could be a combination of things. BOS JFK could be rostered with local staff, London's maybe different. London typical 3 daily pre covid transatlantic x 2.

Clearly the costs are out of line and need to be adjusted. The ground handling is being outsourced too so it seems a complete cost makeover..
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Mon May 24, 2021 6:17 am

IALPA will hold an outdoor general meeting today .


Pilots call for rapid antigen tests to reopen aviation

www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0524/1223 ... -aviation/
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Mon May 24, 2021 6:41 pm

Seems the SNN - LHR slots are safe until next September .


Aer Lingus Heathrow landing slots unaffected by Shannon base closure

Speaking for Minister of State for Aviation Hildegarde Naughton, Mr Noonan said the State had certain connectivity commitments with International Airlines Group (IAG), which expire in September next year and “Aer Lingus cannot dispose of those slots without prior consent from the Minister for Finance”.

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-n ... 3?mode=amp
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 2161
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Mon May 24, 2021 11:19 pm

It was mentioned here before but Aer Lingus have extended several seasonal routes to 31 October. Hopefully the demand is there and they get a good end to summer.

All routes to Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey and Pisa, Palma getting a an extra 4-6 weeks over regular summer season.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10092
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 5:36 am

Ryanair hoping to add 737 Max 10s by 2026,

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... daily-mail

What's particularly interesting about that, from a historical perspective, is that Aer Lingus placed its first order for 737-200s in 1966. Who'd have thought that, sixty years on, the 737 would still be alive and kicking, with a capacity (in its largest size) over twice that of the original version. (The -100 seated around 100-110, the -200 - in EI config - around 117).

Speaking of FR Maxes, any update on when they are likely to be delivered? I see that Max deliveries restarted last week, with one going to WN, so I guess they can't be too long coming.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 7:01 am

As I suggested the other day seems there is now a real possibility of delays.


Return of holidays abroad at risk of delay as HSE and Department of Health 'on their knees’ due to cyberattack

www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/re ... 65642.html
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 8:21 am

OA260 wrote:
As I suggested the other day seems there is now a real possibility of delays.


Return of holidays abroad at risk of delay as HSE and Department of Health 'on their knees’ due to cyberattack

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/he ... 65642.html


A convenient smoke screen, I think. The truth is in the quote from a "Senior Government Source" "“Everyone wants foreign travel to return but the HSE and the Department of Health are on their knees and there is no EU system we can just sign up to for the Green Certs. We are starting from scratch on this,”. There is no ready-made solution they can simply procure off the shelf, so they have no idea what to do. In truth everyone has a vaccination card and that will be accepted in lieu of the digital version in the short term, at least.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 9:05 am

A new partnership between Cork Airport has been established :

THE first digital aerial ecology surveys of Irish coastal waters to be undertaken by a domestic company are about to begin following the arrival of a new special mission aircraft owned by Green Rebel Group into Cork Airport.

www.echolive.ie/business/arid-40297784.html

--
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 11:46 am

MOL at it again !

'I don’t need Ireland, we can move to the UK': Ryanair criticises Government restrictions

Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary has called on the Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan to “get the finger out” and announce a date for the resumption of international travel, adding the airline is moving planes out of Ireland due to the ongoing restrictions.

www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/i-dont-need ... 31747.html

---


Ireland to scrap 14-day quarantine for UK holidaymakers

Tourist board hopes restriction-free travel will trigger influx of visitors to the Emerald Isle this summer

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/24/ire ... daymakers/

Seems he wont need to if the reports are true of CTA opening .
 
Fliplot
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:23 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 12:06 pm

Then move to the UK Michael. What's the story about Peter and the wolf? Would be goid news for EI!!!! Does he not realise we know how much money he makes on his Irish routes.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 12:57 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Then move to the UK Michael. What's the story about Peter and the wolf? Would be goid news for EI!!!! Does he not realise we know how much money he makes on his Irish routes.

The problem is that Ryanair has hundreds of MAX's coming on stream and hundreds more NGs. In a depressed market where does he think he can send them? I have said before and I still think it is the case that VFR and traffic over the Irish Sea will be first to return, assuming a global standard framework can be establish for testing and documentation. Trying to plan any kind of business travel at the moment is extremely difficult, even a simple there and back requires a lot of invstigation of how each country is implementing restrictions and testing in various regions. As for a multi-country EU trip? Forget it.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2337
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 6:32 pm

Reading about Belavia, the Belarusian national carrier being banned from EU airspace got me thinking back to the days of their MSQ-SNN route. Hard to believe the route was still in existence up to 2008. In the early years, they had an interline agreement with EI and used SNN as a connection point for Minsk-USA. When it last operated it was twice weekly "red eye" operation arriving/departing SNN late in the evening for an early morning arrival at MSQ. The flights were operated by 737-500s and Tu-154s.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5284
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 7:53 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
The problem is that Ryanair has hundreds of MAX's coming on stream and hundreds more NGs. In a depressed market where does he think he can send them? I have said before and I still think it is the case that VFR and traffic over the Irish Sea will be first to return, assuming a global standard framework can be establish for testing and documentation. Trying to plan any kind of business travel at the moment is extremely difficult, even a simple there and back requires a lot of invstigation of how each country is implementing restrictions and testing in various regions. As for a multi-country EU trip? Forget it.


Travel will bounce back, look at the USA domestic market, Australian domestic market (where Qantas and Jetstar are at 110% of pre-pandemic capacity already), Chinese domestic market... once travel between the EU states is permitted properly and without testing or quarantines, you can bet Ryanair will need every one of those MAX's and more in the future. Absolutely no issues here, aviation is a long term game.

Also, I was just wondering on an unrelated note... anyone seen the progress on the new EI lounge in Dublin after the last one was gutted? It's been a while now... any rumours or progress reports or any signs of it opening, or anyone know when it's supposed to?
 
Galwayman
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 8:22 pm

nrm2004 wrote:
Lots of options for crewing those flights... one suggestion would be to do what BA do with some of their east coast USA flights. It’s called a back to back. Essentially the crew do two trips with 24hrs in the middle in London in a hotel provided by BA.

So for EI it could be DUB/JFK/SNN/JFK/DUB with a night each in New York then Shannon then New York again. Just one option! Though it requires one of each of the DUB/BOS and DUB/JFK to stay as 321neo flights - in normal times they are a330

For the London flights I believe the pilots do it as part of a London trip from dublin - so a night in London, then a night in SNN etc etc. Crew could do the same



Hire US crew based in NYC on US terms and conditions flying NYC > Dub > NYC > SNN > NYC . Problem solved easily
 
goldcrest
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:54 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 9:34 pm

Or what about MAN-JFK-SNN-JFK-MAN
 
Vicenza
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:21 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 10:22 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
OA260 wrote:
As I suggested the other day seems there is now a real possibility of delays.


Return of holidays abroad at risk of delay as HSE and Department of Health 'on their knees’ due to cyberattack

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/he ... 65642.html


A convenient smoke screen, I think. The truth is in the quote from a "Senior Government Source" "“Everyone wants foreign travel to return but the HSE and the Department of Health are on their knees and there is no EU system we can just sign up to for the Green Certs. We are starting from scratch on this,”. There is no ready-made solution they can simply procure off the shelf, so they have no idea what to do. In truth everyone has a vaccination card and that will be accepted in lieu of the digital version in the short term, at least.


Perhaps, but the current vaccination card is so easy to forge and is open to widespread abuse, it being 'accepted, is neither certain or really an answer at all.
 
Fliplot
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:23 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 25, 2021 11:34 pm

I don't understand why a visa type certificate can not be produced and placed in your passport? HSE provide the details (or use the current paper document) and passport office issues visa certificate.
And no I have no idea why the passport office is so backed up. Either a lot of sick staff or very poor management!. Especially with so much of their business online.

Why does everything have to be so complicated.
 
Eagleboy
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 26, 2021 6:51 am

Galwayman wrote:
........
Hire US crew based in NYC on US terms and conditions flying NYC > Dub > NYC > SNN > NYC . Problem solved easily
Another wonderful insight from a poster with an axe to grind against EI staff. Always make me think of the Irish currency of my youth.

If you are going to that it’s probably quicker and easier to just shut the airline down.
Aer Lingus is an Irish airline with Irish staff.
 
al2637
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:11 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 26, 2021 7:50 am

Fliplot wrote:
I don't understand why a visa type certificate can not be produced and placed in your passport? HSE provide the details (or use the current paper document) and passport office issues visa certificate.
And no I have no idea why the passport office is so backed up. Either a lot of sick staff or very poor management!. Especially with so much of their business online.

Why does everything have to be so complicated.


I think the main issue is interoperability between participating countries, they want an electronic system that will work across the EU.  A secure paper based system will add months to the rollout.

The electronic proposal is actually quite simple from an IT point of view.  You get a QR code, presumably with your name, test/vaccine status,  and a cryptographic signature.  Any agency/entity/bar/restaurant/etc can then scan it, read the name, test/vaccine result, validate the signature and then compare to your actual ID to make sure it's you.   Much easier than issuing physical certificates.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5284
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 26, 2021 8:23 am

Eagleboy wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
........
Hire US crew based in NYC on US terms and conditions flying NYC > Dub > NYC > SNN > NYC . Problem solved easily
Another wonderful insight from a poster with an axe to grind against EI staff. Always make me think of the Irish currency of my youth.

If you are going to that it’s probably quicker and easier to just shut the airline down.
Aer Lingus is an Irish airline with Irish staff.


Certainly no point closing the SNN base and then opening one in New York.

Well, not all the Aer Lingus staff are Irish - there is (was?) the US call centre and the other staff based in the US. Not entirely sure why they have a call centre over there, when they could perfectly well have an Irish one that runs later hours to cater for the west coast. That being said, all airlines do it... BA have call centres around the world to cater for the timezones, as do other airlines.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 26, 2021 8:44 am

Nearly 15,000 people arrived in to Dublin Airport last week – up 16% on the week before.

The arrivals included over 9,200 Irish residents and over 5,700 foreign visitors.

It means the number of residents returning was up 18% on last week and the number of foreign visitors was up 14%.

www.newstalk.com/news/arrivals-at-dubli ... ek-1200753

Hopefully in the coming weeks we will see further increases at DUB and see the retail start to open again at T1 / T2.
 
Fliplot
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:23 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 26, 2021 9:47 am

Surely a 14%/18% week on week increase, with quarantine, is very good nees. Does it not suggest a repressed market justwaiting to explode?
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 26, 2021 12:44 pm

Pilot of US Air Force plane flies over the Midlands to say hello

The pilot of the Boeing C-17A Globemaster III, which landed at Casement Aerodrome Baldonnel, informed air traffic controllers that he wished to fly over his native Longford to say a little hello.

www.offalyexpress.ie/audio/national/636 ... hello.html

—-

Interesting concept but will be dependant on how much they are intending to charge for trips.


Belfast by blimp: Airship service to offer eco-friendly five-hour flights from Liverpool

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... 6?mode=amp
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5284
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 26, 2021 2:10 pm

OA260 wrote:
Interesting concept but will be dependant on how much they are intending to charge for trips.

Belfast by blimp: Airship service to offer eco-friendly five-hour flights from Liverpool

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... 6?mode=amp


It's an interesting concept and I think it could work just fine.

What it does highlight is the often unspoken thing about aviation - plenty of fuel could be saved if the aircraft travelled much slower, increasing journey times. It's one of those counterintuitive facts that was discovered in World War II. Flying more slowly saves fuel and increases range.

All aircraft are optimised for flight at 80%ish of the speed of sound, so perhaps slower flight is the key for the future when it comes to sustainability. It'll be at least one plank, I'm sure.
 
KIRFlyer
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 26, 2021 4:48 pm

Galwayman wrote:


Hire US crew based in NYC on US terms and conditions flying NYC > Dub > NYC > SNN > NYC . Problem solved easily


For some reason I think this would be a very very bad idea. The comment gives me vibes/the heebee jeebies of the Dermot Mannion era, the 2000's.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 27, 2021 9:54 am

Some good news from Dublin Aerospace

Despite the impact of the COVID-19 crisis, Dublin Aerospace posted a €2.6 million ($3.2 million) pre-tax profit for the past financial year ending September 30, 2020

https://aviationweek.com/mro/dublin-aer ... ing-crisis
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10092
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 27, 2021 7:08 pm

I was at work a few days ago and I happened to notice EI-DEG being towed around from the hangars to the south apron. Here's the thing that confuses me The poor old bird looked terrible: Silver tape over all the windows and cockpit; what looks like black tape over the rear door and indeed, some on the tail too. OK, that's not the confusing bit, but where do they park this aircraft?

On the very southernmost stand, visible to all from the old airport road. Would it not be an idea to hide and aircraft that looks, well, less than the healthiest looking of EI's fleet, out of sight, or at lead hidden behind other aircraft?

By the way, today is Aer Lingus's 85th anniversary, or at least the 85th anniversary of its first flight, from Baldonnell to Bristol.

Lets hope that tomorrow's announcement by the government will bring the best present the airline (and indeed the industry) could hope for.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 27, 2021 7:26 pm

kaitak wrote:
I was at work a few days ago and I happened to notice EI-DEG being towed around from the hangars to the south apron. Here's the thing that confuses me The poor old bird looked terrible: Silver tape over all the windows and cockpit; what looks like black tape over the rear door and indeed, some on the tail too. OK, that's not the confusing bit, but where do they park this aircraft?


Funny you mention that I have seen it myself and wondered why. Myself and another Anetter were discussing it today and none the wiser. It caught my eye because it looks terrible. They seem to be covering the Reg. with a black bin bag.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 2161
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 27, 2021 10:02 pm

Reported this evening international travel will return from July 19th for fully vaccinated travelers.

Update:
Foreign travel for holidays is to be permitted from July 19, under plans agreed by the Cabinet Committee on Covid-19.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin and his ministers signed off on a plan which see the return of non-essential travel in July.

The Government will introduce the EU’s Digital Green Certificate scheme on this date and people who are fully vaccinated will be free to travel abroad without producing a negative Covid-19 test on their return.

They will also avoid hotel or home quarantining.

Vaccinated passengers will be able to visit Ireland without a negative test and will also be exempt from any quarantining measures.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 77522.html
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5549
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 27, 2021 11:58 pm

kaitak wrote:
I was at work a few days ago and I happened to notice EI-DEG being towed around from the hangars to the south apron. Here's the thing that confuses me The poor old bird looked terrible: Silver tape over all the windows and cockpit; what looks like black tape over the rear door and indeed, some on the tail too. OK, that's not the confusing bit, but where do they park this aircraft?

On the very southernmost stand, visible to all from the old airport road. Would it not be an idea to hide and aircraft that looks, well, less than the healthiest looking of EI's fleet, out of sight, or at lead hidden behind other aircraft?


Long term storage is just not pretty.

I think Aer Lingus is currently keeping around half its A320 fleet in some form of active service, these 15 or so aircraft are still probably too much for the current schedule requirements so they still gets lots of downtime but can be rotated regularly to keep them busy. The other half of the fleet is in varying stages of long term storage, EI-DEG likely hasn't flown for a very, very long time and needs to be well wrapped up to reduce the risk of contamination from foreign objects like birds and insects making it their new home.

A Vueling bird in a similar state at Ciudad Real, where a number of Aer Lingus aircraft are also being stored on a more permanent basis.



The black coverings aren't exactly nice to look at but it's the job they're doing that's important and I'd say the parking position is a long way down the list of priorities.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10092
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 28, 2021 2:11 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Reported this evening international travel will return from July 19th for fully vaccinated travelers.

Update:
Foreign travel for holidays is to be permitted from July 19, under plans agreed by the Cabinet Committee on Covid-19.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin and his ministers signed off on a plan which see the return of non-essential travel in July.

The Government will introduce the EU’s Digital Green Certificate scheme on this date and people who are fully vaccinated will be free to travel abroad without producing a negative Covid-19 test on their return.

They will also avoid hotel or home quarantining.

Vaccinated passengers will be able to visit Ireland without a negative test and will also be exempt from any quarantining measures.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 77522.html


Good news. And the day the ice age ended as well. And Marathon changed its name to Snickers ... etc ...

A very welcome boost to the airline industry. I had through that the CTA might have been opened a little before that, especially as we seem to have removed entry restrictions for UK passengers. Hopefully we'll get more clarification later today.

Now, where's my Travel Scrabble ...
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 28, 2021 8:34 am

Its seems the CTA will not open currently


Ireland not in a position restore Common Travel Area yet - Varadkar

www.rte.ie/news/2021/0528/1224365-covid-19/
 
dstc47
Posts: 1507
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:53 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 28, 2021 8:45 am

Do not count your chickens just yet, a possible few twists in the tale of air travel are possible in coming weeks.

With further difficulties with vaccination supply and the magic number of 200 cases a day, which some weeks ago was still the target to end lockdown, is being exceeded by a factor of 2 or more here, the gradual opening up of entertainment and dining, added to the very slow vaccination progress in many EU countries might cause a Christmas like closedown, opened 18 December, closed again 29 December.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 28, 2021 9:08 am

dstc47 wrote:
Do not count your chickens just yet, a possible few twists in the tale of air travel are possible in coming weeks.

With further difficulties with vaccination supply and the magic number of 200 cases a day, which some weeks ago was still the target to end lockdown, is being exceeded by a factor of 2 or more here, the gradual opening up of entertainment and dining, added to the very slow vaccination progress in many EU countries might cause a Christmas like closedown, opened 18 December, closed again 29 December.


Indeed there is no doubt in my mind that there will be some restrictions this Winter. It could be in the form of travel restrictions. I dont think we will see lockdowns as we have known it but certainly targeted and specific areas which will most likely include travel and hospitality as sadly those are the ones most vulnerable.

So it will be a case of enjoy the Summer with caution and travel to the areas where allowed from End July/Aug/Sept . It will certainly not be a free for all even under tonights full announcement but it will certainly be welcome.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 2161
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 28, 2021 11:14 am

OA260 wrote:
Its seems the CTA will not open currently


Ireland not in a position restore Common Travel Area yet - Varadkar

http://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0528/1224365-covid-19/


Eamonn Ryan has confirmed UK/US travel will resume on 19th also.

Just waiting for the official sign off and announcement.
 
EI320
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 28, 2021 11:47 am

Quite a blow that the CTA is being put on the long finger. It’s important on many fronts that this is restored ASAP.
 
Eirules
Posts: 2047
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 28, 2021 12:06 pm

EI320 wrote:
Quite a blow that the CTA is being put on the long finger. It’s important on many fronts that this is restored ASAP.


In practical terms what does that mean? For someone flying UK-DUB or vice versa? UK aren’t on MHQ so just a negative PCR for those flying into ROI?
 
EI320
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 28, 2021 12:08 pm

Eirules wrote:
EI320 wrote:
Quite a blow that the CTA is being put on the long finger. It’s important on many fronts that this is restored ASAP.


In practical terms what does that mean? For someone flying UK-DUB or vice versa? UK aren’t on MHQ so just a negative PCR for those flying into ROI?


Anyone travelling England/Scotland/Wales to the ROI. Negative PCR test + 14 day home quarantine.
 
Eirules
Posts: 2047
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 28, 2021 12:10 pm

EI320 wrote:
Eirules wrote:
EI320 wrote:
Quite a blow that the CTA is being put on the long finger. It’s important on many fronts that this is restored ASAP.


In practical terms what does that mean? For someone flying UK-DUB or vice versa? UK aren’t on MHQ so just a negative PCR for those flying into ROI?


Anyone travelling England/Scotland/Wales to the ROI. Negative PCR test + 14 day home quarantine.


Which for someone coming here for a weekend is unenforceable
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25674
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 28, 2021 12:13 pm

Eirules wrote:
EI320 wrote:
Quite a blow that the CTA is being put on the long finger. It’s important on many fronts that this is restored ASAP.


In practical terms what does that mean? For someone flying UK-DUB or vice versa? UK aren’t on MHQ so just a negative PCR for those flying into ROI?


For the majority its a big deal especially if you are a family with kids the cost soon gets too much. They could have opened to fully vacinated or PCR test especially as it totally defeats the object as people are incresingly just flying in and out of Belfast and there are no Gards anywhere near the border checking or on the cross border trains. If they shut the border then the arguement would hold some weight but dont let politics get in the way of a pandemic !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos