Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10104
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:45 am

Good morning folks and welcome to our fifth installment this year. Unlike previous months, I think there is cause for a lot more optimism about the future. That said, with traffic down c.80% across the board, services drastically reduced and tens of thousands of aviation professionals either on short time, layoff or redundant, the sky ahead is still turbulent. The gap on the weather radar is a strip of yellow through a sea or red and orange. Seat belt sign is still very much on ...

The good news this month is that the EU has now approved the Digital Green Certificate. It's up to each government to decide how these will be put into effect and early signs suggest that our govt wants to wait until September, which means another summer of lost revenue.
That said, the Tainiste (Deputy PM) has indicated that flights to the UK might be permitted sooner than that. The UK has already indicated that flights to Ireland will be among the first permitted. How the government will deal with the possibility of passengers travelling north to fly via BFS/BHD/LDY is still unclear.
The country is opening up gradually and most important, the rate of vaccinations is finally accelerating. With that, of course, comes increasing pressure to open up international access.

In other news:
- IB and EI are entering a codeshare on the DUB-MAD route
- The DAA has reported a significant loss against the backdrop of the Covid crisis
- Ireland has sent a large shipment of medical equipment to India, flown out by an IL76 this, week, to assist in that country's dire Covid situation
- Wiring issues cause further delay to 737 Max deliveries; FR now expected to take deliveries from mid-May
- EU Commission President, Ursula von der Leyen, has pushed for restart of EU/US flights.

So, in summary, still some dark times ahead, but the medium and long term picture is looking significantly brighter.

Here's a link to the last thread, if you want to look back: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1459327&start=200
 
dstc47
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:53 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:18 am

Yes things do seem to be slowly improving, though from a very low base and with a good deal of apprehension re travel. We will need a non-digital form of proof also, amazing as it may seem lots of people do not have, or can not use phone based apps. I would guess a fair number of the already vaccinated fall into that category. No mention of the "test and trace" miracle apps that did not work well, are at all surfacing now. These were supposed to be the answer.

At least we seem to be spared the usual disruption from the routine French ATC strike, or work to rule, that usually starts around the beginning of summer every year.
 
factsonly
Posts: 3189
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:45 am

To see how current operations at EI, FR and DUB compare to developments at their European counterparts, here are some data taken from the latest Eurocontrol COVID Performance report:

Percentages are versus the same period in 2019:

Airlines:
- EI -96%
- FR -93%
- LX -92%
- BA -90%
- VY -89%
- LH -82%
- AY -79%
- TP -78%
- OS -72%
- AZ -66%
- AF -64%
- IB -62%
- KL -59%
- TK -51%

Airports - movements:
- LGW -97%
- MAN -91%
- DUB -88%
- STN -83%
- MUC -82%
- DUS -81%
- BCN -80%
- CPH -77%
- ZRH -77%
- LHR -77%
- BRU -76%
- FCO -76%
- HEL -73%
- VIE -73%
- FRA -69%
- MXP -66%
- AMS -66%
- CDG -65%
- MAD -64%
- ARN -62%
- IST -57%
- ATH -56%

For full details of European operations last week - see Eurocontrol:
https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defau ... 042021.pdf
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:04 am

Things are slowly improving currently its all about getting the Domestic economy opening again but Leo Varadkar yesterday said after the press conference that it will be many months before we see an opening up of International travel. Once the newly named EU Covid-19 certificate is launched individual member states still have certain opt out clauses although I believe even those are for a limited period. It may be stretched out until end of August until the kids go back to school.

One thing that will be needed for the Aviation and Travel industry as a whole is continued support in grants and wage subsidy schemes until the end of this year otherwise it could be a very grim Winter. When you see the iconic brand that was lost this week even with these supports in place its very hard.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 02, 2021 7:21 am

This article seems to back up recent speculation about the job cuts and there has been rumours up to 4 more aircraft could be heading overseas.


Summer doubts spark new fears of job cuts at Aer Lingus

Turbulent times: Aer Lingus is said to be eying winter sun holidays in Florida and the Caribbean as a potential lifeline for its Irish operation.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 73794.html



An aviation group has said Ireland should use its special relationship with the United States of America to help the sector recover.

Captain Simon Croghan from the Recover Irish Aviation group has warned the lack of a plan for the industry will see more aircraft leaving.

www.newstalk.com/news/ireland-should-bu ... ys-1188399
 
Eirules
Posts: 2051
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 02, 2021 2:53 pm

Does anyone know of any hotel near BHD that has onsite parking? We’re due to fly out of there in Sept & going up the previous night. Plan is to stay in a hotel and drive over to the airport the next day & park the car but looking for a hotel that actually has a car park attached to it
 
Vicenza
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:21 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sun May 02, 2021 3:59 pm

Eirules wrote:
Does anyone know of any hotel near BHD that has onsite parking? We’re due to fly out of there in Sept & going up the previous night. Plan is to stay in a hotel and drive over to the airport the next day & park the car but looking for a hotel that actually has a car park attached to it


The Titanic Hotel.....just under 2 miles from BHD and I can highly recommend
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 04, 2021 7:04 am

A rare visitor to DUB yesterday carrying aid to India.


Image


https://twitter.com/dublinairport/statu ... 26978?s=21
 
aerloingeas
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:27 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Tue May 04, 2021 10:10 pm

Contact tracer leaks details of 250 flights with positive Covid cases

Nearly 250 flights into Ireland have had at least one confirmed case of Covid-19 since January 1, but up to 80% of close contacts on some planes have never been traced.

In more recent weeks, over 50 of those flights have included cases of the so-called 'variants of concern’”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40280642.html


Quite a revealing article setting out how nearly 250 flights into Ireland have had at least one confirmed case of Covid-19 since January 1.

Whether you disagree with Ireland’s Mandatory Hotel Quarantine regime or not, it’s apparent that unbridled aviation traffic into Ireland would otherwise be importing even more cases into Ireland.

Safe to say we won’t be seeing any of the Recover Irish Aviation crowd sharing this story!
 
User avatar
ChrisNH38
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 1:05 am

Regular EI A333 flights to Greenville-Spartanburg South Carolina, probably with automotive factory freight like all the others into GSP.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 4:38 am

Route recovery plan needed for businesses reliant on Shannon Airport traffic

A clear plan for route recovery for services to Shannon Airport needs to be identified to safeguard the hundreds of jobs reliant on air traffic in the region.

www.clareecho.ie/route-recovery-plan-ne ... t-traffic/



Irish aviation has lost a second summer, says airports chief

Dalton Philips insists air travel needs certainty on possible reopening as it requires a long lead-in time to begin its recovery

www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and- ... 0?mode=amp

For anyone that missed the radio interview with Dalton Philips the link is in the article above.

Meanwhile I suspect the next tranche of cancelations are due from Aer Lingus covering flights until 20/7. The only thing we can hope for is a less severe blanket axe of the network for the Summer peak.
 
EIEIDW
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:22 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 7:41 am

Aer Lingus Regional / Stobart Air announce two new routes to Cardiff:

• Dublin - Begins 30 August 3pw
• Belfast city - Begins 28 June 4pw

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1213823/#click=h ... wml6UChgNo
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10104
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 11:31 am

That adds to EXT, suggests that EI doesn't want to see BE back in DUB anytime soon! Might we see SOU coming too? Jersey based Blue Islands had announced an intention, as (I think) did Eastern, but neither has started. An opprutnity for Stobart?

Once the EI contract moves to Emerald, will these routes transfer, or will Stobart continue to operate them under their own name (or that of its new owners?).
 
dstc47
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:53 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 1:20 pm

The Government has agreed a contract with Aer Arann to provide air service to/from the Aran Islands until 2025.
The deal also seems to provide for the operator to have some role in managing some of the airstrips originally intended for air services to some of the other offshore islands, which were never used, and were another "white elephant" aviation project paid from public money. It does not seem that they will now be used either.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0 ... s-flights/
 
Eagleboy
Posts: 1885
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 2:32 pm

aerloingeas wrote:
........

Quite a revealing article setting out how nearly 250 flights into Ireland have had at least one confirmed case of Covid-19 since January 1.

My reading of this is that 250 flights in 4 months had a case onboard that hadn’t been detected by the PCR test requirement (hence my support for testing upon arrival with or without MHQ) but the ‘not for for purpose’ track & trace system in Ireland wasn’t able to follow up on such incidents.
This “250 flights” is out of a total of over 9500 flights. (Assuming 80 arrivals a day into Dublin, 2019 norm was 600-650)
That 1 case every 38 flights (9600/250)

The problems highlighted in this article is that the failure wasn’t in aviation but in the health forensics.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 2:50 pm

TUI / TUI Airways have further suspended their Irish operation until Mid June . It remains to be seen if this will be the last such suspension. Friends of mine who were booked got notice via emails today.
 
Clydenairways
Posts: 1381
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:27 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 3:05 pm

kaitak wrote:
That adds to EXT, suggests that EI doesn't want to see BE back in DUB anytime soon! Might we see SOU coming too? Jersey based Blue Islands had announced an intention, as (I think) did Eastern, but neither has started. An opprutnity for Stobart?

Once the EI contract moves to Emerald, will these routes transfer, or will Stobart continue to operate them under their own name (or that of its new owners?).


I'm unsure of this too. Does the Emerald contract apply to just the existing franchises out of DUB,ORK or the whole thing... Maybe the BHD operation is separate too ? Anybody know the answer??
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5304
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 4:59 pm

dstc47 wrote:
The Government has agreed a contract with Aer Arann to provide air service to/from the Aran Islands until 2025.
The deal also seems to provide for the operator to have some role in managing some of the airstrips originally intended for air services to some of the other offshore islands, which were never used, and were another "white elephant" aviation project paid from public money. It does not seem that they will now be used either.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0 ... s-flights/


I had no idea these two airports had been built, or if I did, I had forgotten. Ahh sure, just another €9 million and the 12 years upkeep thrown down the toilet. You'd think they would move to get them open for general aviation or sell them off so a private operator could use them. Crazy waste of money. Ireland has so many airports it makes your head spin!
 
User avatar
FiscAutTecGarte
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 5:14 pm

OA260 wrote:
A rare visitor to DUB yesterday carrying aid to India.


Image


https://twitter.com/dublinairport/statu ... 26978?s=21


That's awesome! Glad to see aid for India. The tweet posts are nice, reflecting a spirit of graciousness and generosity.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 3150
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 5:57 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
I had no idea these two airports had been built, or if I did, I had forgotten. Ahh sure, just another €9 million and the 12 years upkeep thrown down the toilet. You'd think they would move to get them open for general aviation or sell them off so a private operator could use them. Crazy waste of money. Ireland has so many airports it makes your head spin!


Norr had I! I can see some logic to airports on remote islands, but presumably the chances of a commercial service are close to zero. Something like St Helena airport, but without the windshear and operational restrictions that mean the only usable aircraft dont have the range to get to/from there from anywhere useful to islanders. Ireland isn't the only place with grandiose, impractical aviation plans!
 
Vicenza
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:21 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 6:07 pm

Eagleboy wrote:

The problems highlighted in this article is that the failure wasn’t in aviation but in the health forensics.


But, and as I have said many times, the failure/problem, has never been in aviation itself per sé.....but aviation has always been the primary cause (or vehicle if you will) for the spread of the virus worldwide. Thus, to attempt to imply, or bypass, aviation is just a scapegoat or 'innocent victim', is both very misleading and disingenuous.
 
aerloingeas
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:27 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Wed May 05, 2021 6:37 pm

[*]
Eagleboy wrote:
The problems highlighted in this article is that the failure wasn’t in aviation but in the health forensics.


The positive cases in question are infected passengers sitting on aircraft landing into Dublin Airport. There’s little to argue with here.
 
dstc47
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:53 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 06, 2021 9:50 am

ClassicLover wrote:
dstc47 wrote:
The Government has agreed a contract with Aer Arann to provide air service to/from the Aran Islands until 2025.
The deal also seems to provide for the operator to have some role in managing some of the airstrips originally intended for air services to some of the other offshore islands, which were never used, and were another "white elephant" aviation project paid from public money. It does not seem that they will now be used either.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0 ... s-flights/


I had no idea these two airports had been built, or if I did, I had forgotten. Ahh sure, just another €9 million and the 12 years upkeep thrown down the toilet. You'd think they would move to get them open for general aviation or sell them off so a private operator could use them. Crazy waste of money. Ireland has so many airports it makes your head spin!



There was some discussion on the Board in the dim and distant past but, so far as I know, no wider public discussion of what was, from origin, an ill-considered scheme. Nor has there been any public discussion of the waste of money in particularly difficult times. Of course, any services would have been PSO routes also but probably with passenger demand too low to fill an Islander.
I believe some, perhaps all, of the strips are unfinished, so not suitable for GA use, I seem to recall one had an unapproved landing on it reported years ago. Doubtless being ignored for so long has not improved them.

There is a Ph D thesis to be written on financial support for "regional airports" in Ireland and the cash spent on wasteful schemes while necessary projects did not happen.
Anyone younger than I am like to take it on?
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 06, 2021 9:54 am

Fresh concerns over delays to the EU Covid Certificate scheme have been voiced and Summer holidays could be off the cards.


Government warned delay introducing digital pass would leave State trailing
Vetoing initiative or opting out are not options for State, travel agents’ body warns
“There is no one taking ownership of this, everyone is involved but nobody is involved.”

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.4556001


-

New support scheme to boost air connectivity with Britain this summer
A NEW support scheme for airlines is to open this summer to boost air connectivity between the north and Britain.

Economy Minister Diane Dodds said the Northern Ireland economic recovery needs air connectivity to return to its pre-Covid levels as soon as possible.
She said aviation consultants had already been appointed to develop the Northern Ireland Domestic Aviation Kickstart Scheme (NIDAKS).
The announcement came as Stobart Air confirmed it will add an eighth former Flybe route to the Aer Lingus Regional hub it operates at Belfast City Airport

www.irishnews.com/business/2021/05/06/n ... t-2312071/


Good news for airlines to restart out of BHD/BFS/LDY. Hopefully we will see more routes added under this scheme. BHD seems to be doing very
well attracting airlines back to the former Flybe routes as well as Ryanair and Vueling.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 3150
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 06, 2021 11:01 am

OA260 wrote:
Good news for airlines to restart out of BHD/BFS/LDY. Hopefully we will see more routes added under this scheme. BHD seems to be doing very
well attracting airlines back to the former Flybe routes as well as Ryanair and Vueling.

It does make you wonder what kind of support will be required in RoI if NI does manage to shake the Westminster money tree. All of that said, this reeks of window dressing. The kind of "report" that takes months for a committee to assemble, meet over, submit their expenses and then have someone write up. With just the right political tone to ensure it looks like something could, would and should be done but no named body appoint to do it. Off to a shelf it goes to be referenced in the next round of reports on the same topic, with the same conclusions. Nice work, if you can get it.

The reality is that BHD attracted Aer Lingus Regional, BA Cityflyer, Ryanair and Vueling without a government support scheme. The UK government have provides some sort of travel road map, so that has helped. But there is still no certainty of what countries will be on the Red, Amber or Red categories in 10 days time.
 
Eagleboy
Posts: 1885
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 06, 2021 2:13 pm

Vicenza wrote:
But, and as I have said many times, the failure/problem, has never been in aviation itself per sé.....but aviation has always been the primary cause (or vehicle if you will) for the spread of the virus worldwide. Thus, to attempt to imply, or bypass, aviation is just a scapegoat or 'innocent victim', is both very misleading and disingenuous.


aerloingeas wrote:
The positive cases in question are infected passengers sitting on aircraft landing into Dublin Airport. There’s little to argue with here.


I wouldn't disagree with either of those statements.
Obviously air travel is the sole reason that this virus has travelled around the world so quickly. Most initial outbreaks can be traces to air travel. (Ireland, USA, Italy, UK, Iran)
So I wasn't trying to absolve aviation.

But if you have an entry point and you don't restrict or test arrivals it's almost as bad as an open door policy.
We should have had testing upon arrival last summer with MHQ in place for positive cases.
We should have had some level of enforcement for "self isolation". (phone calls and/or GPS uploads)
We should have had robust track&trace to trap any outbreaks early on.
We should have had PCR testing required far earlier than 16th Jan. (And has been shown by the clickbait article, PCR test 1-2 days before flying has obvious problems)

Without such efforts air travel was always going to be the problem. Would have been better to stop it altogether. (obviously a pointless action as we have a land border with the UK)


On a personal point we have been discussing a holiday this summer. Spain says they are open but we would require 4 PCR tests each way , so financially that's a non-runner.
And while the noise is positive from Teh EU the Irish Govt seem very hesitant to allow travel before September. Which really means we can't take the chance of booking flights. I'm sure 1000s of other families are in a similar situation.
Which translates to a lot of lost revenue for the Irish airlines.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5304
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 06, 2021 3:42 pm

dstc47 wrote:
There is a Ph D thesis to be written on financial support for "regional airports" in Ireland and the cash spent on wasteful schemes while necessary projects did not happen.
Anyone younger than I am like to take it on?


Tell me about it, I couldn't agree more with you on that. Such a colossal and continuing waste of money in the area of Irish airports. A great deal of that could have been spent elsewhere, even to improving other aviation facilities. What's done is done though.
 
User avatar
IrishTexan
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:24 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 06, 2021 5:01 pm

Just saw this. If true and accurate then it's bad news for SNN.
Possibly no EI flights from SNN before 2022?
http://clareherald.com/2021/05/no-aer-l ... 022-20522/
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 3150
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 06, 2021 5:21 pm

IrishTexan wrote:
Just saw this. If true and accurate then it's bad news for SNN.
Possibly no EI flights from SNN before 2022?
http://clareherald.com/2021/05/no-aer-l ... 022-20522/


The document actually looks very interesting and more positive than would be imagined from the article, overall it looks very sensible and in keeping with the likely opening up of North America and the EU to each other. The body of the article also mentioned Mexico, which I don't think has been mentioned before? Presumably from MAN, rather than Dublin.
The document says...
-Priority on rebuilding DUB hub from September
- Until LAX/SEA return most key connections can be [....] routes normally served 2x daily.
"Suspensions extended until S22 (or Feb Mid Terms/Early March)"
LAX, SEA, SNN-BOS/JFK
PHL, BDL, S22 restart, but lower priority.

In terms of priority for EI, it looks like SNN is in the second tier of routes and things looks quite good, above PHL and BDL. I wonder if PHL will be operated by AA, but the 787 or 777 are the only remaining international fleets at AA I was surprised to see they have retired all of the 757s and 767s, A330s too.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 06, 2021 8:24 pm

Call for rapid antigen testing to aid return of air travel

Committee Chair Kieran O'Donnell said that a trial route between Ireland and the UK could be used.

http://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/05 ... committee/

Seems to be calls for a CTA bubble are growing . Today Stena and Irish ferries called for a reopening of the CTA also. Maybe FR and EI should join those calls also.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2347
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 06, 2021 9:28 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
IrishTexan wrote:
Just saw this. If true and accurate then it's bad news for SNN.
Possibly no EI flights from SNN before 2022?
http://clareherald.com/2021/05/no-aer-l ... 022-20522/


In terms of priority for EI, it looks like SNN is in the second tier of routes and things looks quite good, above PHL and BDL. I wonder if PHL will be operated by AA, but the 787 or 777 are the only remaining international fleets at AA I was surprised to see they have retired all of the 757s and 767s, A330s too.

I'd love to see that full document, just to get a sense of EI's thinking but I agree with you - there are positives to take from it. I'm glad to see that SNN-JFK/BOS are (relatively) high on the list of priority for resumption, surprisingly above DUB-PHL ("lower priority"). Just goes to show the SNN operation is not the "unwanted child" of transatlantic routes that some contributors on here would lead you to believe...

Also interesting that SNN-LHR seems to be up the list also, albeit rumblings of using a non-based aircraft/W-pattern from DUB/ORK (presumably until the base reopens in S22).

Slightly off topic but the picture of the parked EI 332 in the article shows the windows taped over - anyone know why this is?
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Thu May 06, 2021 9:58 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:

Slightly off topic but the picture of the parked EI 332 in the article shows the windows taped over - anyone know why this is?


They are taped to stop sunlight fading the interior of the seats and cabin . OA A340s sat for years at ATH often in very high temperatures and had the same .


Image
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10104
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 8:41 am

I am told that EI is to operate DUB-BGI and DUB-CUN this winter. No information on frequencies.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 8:50 am

IAG draws down half of €150m State loan for Aer Lingus
British Airways and Iberia owner posts an operating loss of €1.14 bn in the first quarter

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.4558123


Good to see growth on the BHD-LHR route with business travel showing signs of picking up. Cargo doing well on US flights.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 3150
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 9:19 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Also interesting that SNN-LHR seems to be up the list also, albeit rumblings of using a non-based aircraft/W-pattern from DUB/ORK (presumably until the base reopens in S22).


It seems fairly obvious that SNN was planned to be a 3 frame base, 2xLRs and 1x A320. Assuming that BOS and JFK come back, I cant see that COVID would have a huge impact on that. The SNN operation I almost an experiment/boutique/template base for airlines considering using the A320 platform across long and short haul, its quite an exciting base from that point of view.

kaitak wrote:
I am told that EI is to operate DUB-BGI and DUB-CUN this winter. No information on frequencies.

Again this is exciting, I imagine fairly low frequency to begin with. I think the Caribbean is going to be popular this winter, I wonder how much bed capacity there will be? Flights are all well and good, but will we have to sleep on the beach?
 
Galwayman
Posts: 1061
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 9:38 am

kaitak wrote:
I am told that EI is to operate DUB-BGI and DUB-CUN this winter. No information on frequencies.


Best news ever, fingers crossed ....
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 10:00 am

BrianDromey wrote:
I think the Caribbean is going to be popular this winter, I wonder how much bed capacity there will be? Flights are all well and good, but will we have to sleep on the beach?


Doubt there will be any issues plenty to fill still. You may find it harder around Xmas but outside of that lots of hotels/apartments and AI resorts.
Also Royal Caribbean are basing a ship there so currently have teamed up with Aer Lingus on the MAN -BGI route to offer cruise and stay so expect DUB will see a similar working relationship.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10104
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 10:54 am

BrianDromey wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
Also interesting that SNN-LHR seems to be up the list also, albeit rumblings of using a non-based aircraft/W-pattern from DUB/ORK (presumably until the base reopens in S22).


It seems fairly obvious that SNN was planned to be a 3 frame base, 2xLRs and 1x A320. Assuming that BOS and JFK come back, I cant see that COVID would have a huge impact on that. The SNN operation I almost an experiment/boutique/template base for airlines considering using the A320 platform across long and short haul, its quite an exciting base from that point of view.

kaitak wrote:
I am told that EI is to operate DUB-BGI and DUB-CUN this winter. No information on frequencies.


Again this is exciting, I imagine fairly low frequency to begin with. I think the Caribbean is going to be popular this winter, I wonder how much bed capacity there will be? Flights are all well and good, but will we have to sleep on the beach?


Underneath the mango tree ... !

I do get a strong and increasingly positive feeling that things are looking up. The government will obviously not want to want 5to move too quickly and there may yet be more disappointments before we are clear to travel. That said, things are moving in a positive direction. I understand that the SI banning foreign travel and imposing a fine has now lapsed and has not been renewed (although the Gardai are still at the airport).

The first big test will be how the govt deals with the issue of people travelling via NI. Will there be fines, or vehicle checks? Will UK carriers be asked (or required) not to accept bookings from ROI residents?

The next question is how long it will take the Irish/UK CTA to be up and running, as the Tainiste hinted a few weeks back.

The Digital Travel Cert is expected to be up and running next month. Will that actually happen then? Will individual govts (such as our own) place limits on travel.

Is it reasonable to expect that travel to most EU countries (and other European countries, such as Norway, Switzerland and Iceland, might be possible from July. There will remain limits on foreign travel for some time and I think it's reasonable to expect MHQ for places such as Brazil, India and other high risk places for the foreseeable future, but I think that by year end, most directly served markets from Dublin will be open. Does that sound too optimistic?

Considering the way I felt (and I'm sure most of us!) earlier this year, when Leo told us we could forget about foreign travel this year, I think things look much better now.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2347
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 12:19 pm

kaitak wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
Also interesting that SNN-LHR seems to be up the list also, albeit rumblings of using a non-based aircraft/W-pattern from DUB/ORK (presumably until the base reopens in S22).


It seems fairly obvious that SNN was planned to be a 3 frame base, 2xLRs and 1x A320. Assuming that BOS and JFK come back, I cant see that COVID would have a huge impact on that. The SNN operation I almost an experiment/boutique/template base for airlines considering using the A320 platform across long and short haul, its quite an exciting base from that point of view.

kaitak wrote:
I am told that EI is to operate DUB-BGI and DUB-CUN this winter. No information on frequencies.


Again this is exciting, I imagine fairly low frequency to begin with. I think the Caribbean is going to be popular this winter, I wonder how much bed capacity there will be? Flights are all well and good, but will we have to sleep on the beach?
I understand that the SI banning foreign travel and imposing a fine has now lapsed and has not been renewed (although the Gardai are still at the airport).

Pardon my ignorance but what is the SI? And have you a link about the fine for non-essential international travel lapsing? I can't find anything on that.
 
snnus
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:24 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 12:44 pm

OA260 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

Slightly off topic but the picture of the parked EI 332 in the article shows the windows taped over - anyone know why this is?


They are taped to stop sunlight fading the interior of the seats and cabin . OA A340s sat for years at ATH often in very high temperatures and had the same .


Image




Would the window shades down not suffice? Bar the cockpit windows of course.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10104
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 12:51 pm

Sorry, an SI is a Statutory Instrument; it's basically "an order, regulation, rule, scheme or bye-law made in exercise of a power conferred by statute". So, in effect, a piece of legislation will empower the minister to do certain things; the SI is the mechanism by which he/she does that.

As to the specific case here, foreign travel, I am informed that the SI relating to this, SI 168 & 170/2021 (Health Act 1947), relating to the imposition of a €2k fine expired on the 4th May. I am also informed that the SI relating to MHQ will expire on 23 June and all EU countries will be removed by June 1st.

Incidentally, the UK Govt will issue its list of "Green countries" at 5pm today. Ireland is expected to be include, along with Israel and a small number of others. It should be noted that this list applies basically to England and Wales and does not bind NI and Scotland. I would expect NI to approve the list, though probably not Scotland (power play between Sturgeon & Johnson) initially, at least.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 pm

An extensive interview with Lynne Embleton of Aer Lingus. Some good news on strong bookings on the MAN route. A mixed bag on other aspects of the business.

Aer Lingus won't get through Covid without impact on jobs - CEO

www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0507/1214 ... y-results/
 
EI320
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 4:49 pm

I wonder did she actually say that bookings are strong? She’s not directly quoted as having said that, so it’s unclear if she actually said it or if the writer is inferring such based on her comment that bookings compare well to Dublin.

Comparing bookings to Dublin is basically comparing them to zero, so that in itself isn’t very meaningful. Genuinely interested in how forward bookings for MAN are doing.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10104
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 4:57 pm

This is a bit disappointing:

Britain announces new lists of Green, amber and red countries; we don't make the green list.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-whi ... t-12299553

They will be reviewed every three weeks. Ireland was, along with Portugal and Finland, one of the top EU countries, so I wonder what kind of metrics are being used.

Norway is another country with very good Covid control stats, but also didn't make the list.

Aer Lingus will also be none too pleased that the US (and Barbados) are also not on the list.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 5:09 pm

kaitak wrote:
This is a bit disappointing:
we don't make the green list.
.Ireland was, along with Portugal and Finland, one of the top EU countries, so I wonder what kind of metrics are being used.


Sorry Kaitak why are you mentioning Ireland? Its exempt as its part of the CTA and has always been exempt from restrictions since the beginning.


Image


https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ireland
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 2182
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 5:43 pm

EI320 wrote:
I wonder did she actually say that bookings are strong? She’s not directly quoted as having said that, so it’s unclear if she actually said it or if the writer is inferring such based on her comment that bookings compare well to Dublin.

Comparing bookings to Dublin is basically comparing them to zero, so that in itself isn’t very meaningful. Genuinely interested in how forward bookings for MAN are doing.


Quote was bookings going well and two points on that nobody would expect any other sort comment and secondly not many could estimate what an airline considers well with all external factors at play.

Not many can judge how MAN will work out, a lot could be based on if they are prepared for a long term commitment.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 10104
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 6:19 pm

OA260 wrote:
kaitak wrote:
This is a bit disappointing:
we don't make the green list.
.Ireland was, along with Portugal and Finland, one of the top EU countries, so I wonder what kind of metrics are being used.


Sorry Kaitak why are you mentioning Ireland? Its exempt as its part of the CTA and has always been exempt from restrictions since the beginning.


https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ireland


Sorry, you're right. Forgot that. So, presumably once our govt allows travel to recommence, then travel can return to as near as normal as demand dicates?
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 7:10 pm

kaitak wrote:
OA260 wrote:
kaitak wrote:
This is a bit disappointing:
we don't make the green list.
.Ireland was, along with Portugal and Finland, one of the top EU countries, so I wonder what kind of metrics are being used.


Sorry Kaitak why are you mentioning Ireland? Its exempt as its part of the CTA and has always been exempt from restrictions since the beginning.


https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ireland


Sorry, you're right. Forgot that. So, presumably once our govt allows travel to recommence, then travel can return to as near as normal as demand dicates?


Well opening up travel to the CTA will be a logical start considering the advanced stage of the vaccination program there. It would be a good test and can be monitored before opening up to other non CTA countries. June would be a good time to open CTA travel. I don't see a mass exodus but certainly a decent up take in Irish and British citizens who have been separated the last year between the two Islands. It would also go a long way to restoring some of the flight schedules of EI and FR and enable them to get some sort of start up plan going which is what they are asking for.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 25749
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Fri May 07, 2021 9:31 pm

It seems that DUB - YYC has been further suspended until 7/8 with Westjet. They have emailed affected passengers.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2347
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sat May 08, 2021 12:37 pm

Could anyone shed some light on the EI DUB-BOS schedule at the moment? It seems to be operating outbound (EI133) on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays and inbound (EI132) Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. From an aircraft positioning point of view it doesn't make sense to me.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos