Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JAmie2k9

Re: Irish 5/21: A gap in the storm clouds

Sat May 08, 2021 6:03 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Could anyone shed some light on the EI DUB-BOS schedule at the moment? It seems to be operating outbound (EI133) on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays and inbound (EI132) Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. From an aircraft positioning point of view it doesn't make sense to me.

Looks like they are reducing crewing requirements by having the aircraft sitting in BOS for 48 hours and basing schedule on cargo demand.

-Sun/Tue A330 or A321
-TueThur A321
-Fri/Sat A321

MartijnNL

Sat May 08, 2021 6:30 pm

Galwayman wrote:
kaitak wrote:
I am told that EI is to operate DUB-BGI and DUB-CUN this winter. No information on frequencies.

Best news ever, fingers crossed ....

What do you mean?

Best news ever would be the lifting of all entry restrictions and quarantine obligations worldwide. As soon as possible.

aerdingus

Sat May 08, 2021 6:50 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Does anyone know of any hotel near BHD that has onsite parking? We’re due to fly out of there in Sept & going up the previous night. Plan is to stay in a hotel and drive over to the airport the next day & park the car but looking for a hotel that actually has a car park attached to it

The Titanic Hotel.....just under 2 miles from BHD and I can highly recommend

Lovely hotel, I stayed there last August, but the parking isn't free, just so you know.

Vicenza

Sat May 08, 2021 9:11 pm

aerdingus wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Does anyone know of any hotel near BHD that has onsite parking? We’re due to fly out of there in Sept & going up the previous night. Plan is to stay in a hotel and drive over to the airport the next day & park the car but looking for a hotel that actually has a car park attached to it

Lovely hotel, I stayed there last August, but the parking isn't free, just so you know.

Yes I do, but Eirules whom I answered, asked for hotel near BHD with a car park and didn't mention wanting/needing it free. I, myself, don't see such as important to be honest.

Eirules

Sun May 09, 2021 8:08 am

[twoid][/twoid]
Vicenza wrote:
aerdingus wrote:
Vicenza wrote:

Yes I do, but Eirules whom I answered, asked for hotel near BHD with a car park and didn't mention wanting/needing it free. I, myself, don't see such as important to be honest.

Ultimately the only reason I’m staying is that the flight out of BHD is at 6.45am so I don’t really fancy having to be up at 2am if I stay at home the previous night. The “need” for a car park is simply because we don’t want to have to drag our luggage from a car park “close” to the hotel as many city centre ones do

Just out of interest, does anyone know can you check your bags in with BA the previous night in BHD?

BestWestern

Sun May 09, 2021 10:07 am

Until we can arrive at a situation where we can travel freely within the EU (And UK) without Covid tests, we can write off any meaningful and sustainable return to traffic numbers.

I took my first flights in 14 months last week - a work trip to the Middle East. The stress of pre-departure PCR Covid tests, waiting for all clear, the surprise of another PCR on arrival and the need for another (unexpected) 24 hr quarantine followed by the a third PCR to fly back and a 14 day home quarantine in Germany on my return means that this won’t be something I’ll repeat any time soon. I’ve flown 3 million kms in the past 10 years on some of the shittiest airlines into some of the worst airports globally, but this was by far the most stressful trip I’ve ever taken.

It wasn’t the airlines - The only joy to the trip was the Qatar Q-suites on three of my five sectors - a wonderful way to travel. Flights were empty by the way. Maximum 30% loads.

OA260

Sun May 09, 2021 12:32 pm

Eirules wrote:

Just out of interest, does anyone know can you check your bags in with BA the previous night in BHD?

Simple answer No . I know someone who was recently there 5 hours before their flight and were told too early .

Eirules

Sun May 09, 2021 1:02 pm

OA260 wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Simple answer No . I know someone who was recently there 5 hours before their flight and were told too early .

Cool thanks OA260

Phen

Sun May 09, 2021 1:06 pm

BestWestern wrote:
Until we can arrive at a situation where we can travel freely within the EU (And UK) without Covid tests, we can write off any meaningful and sustainable return to traffic numbers.

Indeed I would be very worried about how the Govt here will implement the EU Digital Green Certificate. We can assume that those not vaccinated (people both recovered from covid or who never had it) will have to be PCR tested pre departure at both ends +/- on arrival but if they insist that vaccinated people still have to take PCR tests then I agree we can forget about any serious amount of travel this summer and possibly forever unless the requirement for a PCR test is waived for vaccinated passengers.

Nobody who is vaccinated is going to want to take the chance that they could be stranded abroad and denied boarding for their flight home if they end up having to take a PCR test beforehand and then testing positive as they're about to fly. There's no guarantee that 14-day isolation will be waived for those vaccinated either given how overly cautious NPHET is and their anti-travel agenda. And as for the cost of the tests - it will be enough to put some people off, especially a family with say 3-4 kids. The positive thing is that as the vaccine is rolled out, less and less people would be relying on the PCR test method for getting their DGC.

There has been a lot of noise about introducing the DGC in time for summer but no information at all about how it will work in practice - small details like the above would be enough to make the whole thing a pointless exercise in terms of getting significant movement of people going again.

Perhaps this detail has already been worked out and made public but I haven't seen it yet - if anyone knows how it will work please do share!

OA260

Sun May 09, 2021 6:07 pm

The language seems to point to the end of August time frame I predicted earlier. They want the kids back at school and not to be traveling abroad this Summer before hand.

The Taoiseach has confirmed that Ireland will join the EU's digital green certificate system, opening up the prospect of foreign travel by the end of the summer.

http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021 ... vel-covid/

With regards the EU Covid 19 Certificate having one does not mean you are exempt from PCR tests. This will be determined by the state you are visiting. Some will allow you in without a PCR and others will require a cert of vaccination im addition to a PCR.

BrianDromey

Sun May 09, 2021 7:32 pm

OA260 wrote:
With regards the EU Covid 19 Certificate having one does not mean you are exempt from PCR tests. This will be determined by the state you are visiting. Some will allow you in without a PCR and others will require a cert of vaccination im addition to a PCR.

There are good reasons for a PCR, which the U.K. are demanding for Amber/Red arrivals. A PCR allows for sequencing in the case of a positive test so that variants can be monitored. I think this approach will eventually yield the argument that arrival testing is a public health initiative and should be free at the point of care. It’s all stargazing really, but with a vaccinated population the issue becomes variants. PCR is the only way to monitor that, so I can’t see them going away any time soon. Mixing with others and close contact is inherent, indeed even the point, of international travel.

BestWestern

Sun May 09, 2021 11:33 pm

There are great reasons for a PCR and home quarantine, but we have to accept that this kills short breaks and business trips. A winter in Marbella will work, but a business trip to Rome won’t.

FYI, the German home quarantine works. It’s a €25k fine if i break it, and I’ve already had contact from the local district health officials twice to check in on me. As an aside, most of Ireland is now considered quarantine free when returning to Germany.

BrianDromey

Mon May 10, 2021 9:00 am

BestWestern wrote:
There are great reasons for a PCR and home quarantine, but we have to accept that this kills short breaks and business trips. A winter in Marbella will work, but a business trip to Rome won’t.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clearer. I think Day 2 PCR with sequencing could be the preferred testing regimen in the vaccinated, or a largely vaccinated population. This should be free at the point of care on the basis of protecting public health. At the very least it should be free for intra-EU travel, in line with the fundamental freedoms. You could look at doing rapid antigen tests as a screening tool at T-72, T0 and T+72, any positive tests then sent for PCR and sequencing, or any variation on a number of testing strategies. Over many months we have argued on testing regimens and quarantine regulations on these boards. I think only one thing is clear, individual tolerance for risk varies dramatically.

Greece, for example, will accept proof of vaccination in-lieu of a negative PCR test for entry, neither the UK or Ireland will do that. Even Green-list countries require a Day 2 PCR on arrival back in England, so while the politicians are hailing the return of foreign holidays, all is not as it seems.

OA260

Mon May 10, 2021 9:33 am

Good to see some long term investment at DUB . It will be a good facility to have right outside T2. While the other two are only a short walk away having a hotel connected undercover to the Terminal itself will be a benefit.

British group Arora to spend €100m building 410-bedroom hotel at Dublin Airport
Project will employ 550 people between construction and running the hotel

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.4557690

OA260

Mon May 10, 2021 2:30 pm

From the OTD archives the opening of T1 . The baggage hall actually looked more spacious and bright compared to today !

First passengers arrive at the new £7,000,000 terminal complex at Dublin Airport.

www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0426/870470-du ... -terminal/

Eirules

Mon May 10, 2021 3:04 pm

Just an FYI, the SI for fines of €2,000 for leaving the country has been extended until 4th June. This is the 4th extension of it

BestWestern

Mon May 10, 2021 8:17 pm

Some great stats in this article.

Aer Lingus: The North America-Europe Connection Machine - Simple Flying

But those nearly 2.4 million passengers varied greatly. Of these, approximately:
1,100,000 were point-to-point (such as Toronto to Dublin only)
971,000 connected over Dublin on Aer Lingus’ own services

https://simpleflying.com/aer-lingus-connection-machine/

JAmie2k9

Mon May 10, 2021 9:02 pm

SmartLynx to fly TUIs summer services from next month and TUI Nordic to run the winter schedule. UK arm unable to operate services with Brexit and AOC changes. Presumably Sunwing via TUI Nordic or the other EU based units will fly summer 2022.

OA260

Tue May 11, 2021 6:37 am

Another looney idea from an out of touch politician. Hopefully it wont see the light of day.

Senator calls for Dublin Airport to be named after Seán Lemass
Call comes ahead of 50th anniversary of former taoiseach’s death on May 11th

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... 3?mode=amp

BestWestern

Tue May 11, 2021 6:58 am

Agree that it’s not the time for renaming airports - and it should be kept for something more monumental such as a united ireland or for the founders of Ryanair.

OA260

Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 am

Looking at the schedules it seems that Aer Lingus has further extended the suspension of the DUB - ADB route.

The IAA monthly review has been released to the end of April and can be seen here :

En-route, Terminal and North Atlantic Communications - 2019 / 2020 v 2021

A yearly comparison (to date) of En-route, Terminal and North Atlantic Communications flights and the percentage change.

http://www.iaa.ie/who-we-are/flight-sta ... hly-review

Looks like there is some movement over the Aer Lingus Regional contract also. Will be interesting to see their future strategy and what if anything they decide to do with regards expansion and aircraft types.

Aer Lingus and Emerald poised to sign Regional deal
Conor McCarthy’s Emerald Airlines was named preferred bidder last year

www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-l ... 11073.html

BrianDromey

Tue May 11, 2021 8:54 am

Ryanair warned Government over mandatory hotel quarantine checks
https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0511/12208 ... uarantine/

It seems that FR proposed a QR code be generated by in place of a PLF. Given the complexities of travel and multiple changing regulations and testing requirements this does seem like a sensible solution and prevents issues prior to travel and at the airport. Greece have been very strict about the QR code - No code, no boarding. No Exceptions. Even Greek friends of mine have been turned away because they didn't get their QR in time.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2021 9:36 am

OA260 wrote:
Another looney idea from an out of touch politician. Hopefully it wont see the light of day.

In fairness, few would deserve that honour more than he did. Few people did more for the development of Irish aviation than he did. I actually suggested that a good many years ago. While Dev was an isolationist, Lemass, as Minister for Industry & Commerce, was behind the founding of EI and was far more outward looking. He commissioned the Whittaker report in the late 1950s and it's no coincidence that his tenure as Taoiseach coincident with significant economic progress and growing confidence.

-------------------

Twitter seems to be getting very excited over the whole PCR -v- antigen testing "debate", which has pitted NPHET against some top drawer academics, such as Ferguson & Mills. It may well be that there is a middle ground here; certainly, one wouldn't want to put confidence in a cheap kit bought at Lidl, but antigen testing does seem to have found a role in other countries; why not here?

-------------------

Today, there will be less than 20 departures from DUB. Four of these are domestic. There are 4 US flights and 3 to EU member states. This is May; we already have nearly a third of our residents vaccinated. Is this really a healthy state of affairs? Surely, with the availability of PCR tests, antigen tests and vaccinations, we could find a solution that would allow some more travel. What is happening now cannot be good for our economy and recovery.

Eirules

Tue May 11, 2021 11:54 am

kaitak wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Today, there will be less than 20 departures from DUB. Four of these are domestic. There are 4 US flights and 3 to EU member states. This is May; we already have nearly a third of our residents vaccinated. Is this really a healthy state of affairs? Surely, with the availability of PCR tests, antigen tests and vaccinations, we could find a solution that would allow some more travel. What is happening now cannot be good for our economy and recovery.

Unfortunately until the government actually govern & take back the control they’ve abdicated to NPHET we’ll see this continue. I heard Taoiseach Tony being interviewed yesterday & was asked about foreign travel. His response was that they “may permit travel later in the year but he couldn’t give a date”. It’s not his or NPHET’s role to “permit” travel in or out of the country, that’s up to government based on everything from public health to the economy.

Given the extension of the €2000 fines & the adding of extra hotels to the MHQ portfolio, I fear this isn’t going anywhere soon. You’ve countries such as Spain, Greece, Portugal and even Iceland setting out their plans for reopening to tourists yet we’re doubling down on the craggy island approach. At least some ministers & senators are finally starting to speak out against it

BrianDromey

Tue May 11, 2021 12:24 pm

Eirules wrote:
Unfortunately until the government actually govern & take back the control they’ve abdicated to NPHET we’ll see this continue. I heard Taoiseach Tony being interviewed yesterday & was asked about foreign travel. His response was that they “may permit travel later in the year but he couldn’t give a date”. It’s not his or NPHET’s role to “permit” travel in or out of the country, that’s up to government based on everything from public health to the economy.

NPHET certainly have the ear of the government. It does seem ironic that they are pushing for gold standard, zero risk everything when these are they very same people that have overseen the crumbling, "twill do", completely substandard health service for decades. the "twil do", archaic and barely functional HSE has arguably caused the need for very tightly controlled circumstances. Public Health has been even more marginalised than most, so now they have their pitch is it any wonder they are running with it? On one had recommendations need to be driven by science, but they also need to be reasoned and pragmatic. As one test pointed out on Clare Byrne today, this time last year mask wearing was discouraged by NPHET, now they are legally required.

OA260

Tue May 11, 2021 3:21 pm

Air Coach have announced that their Dublin Airport to Belfast service is resuming 15/5. Maybe it should run to BHD rather then Europa Bus station .

LH982

Tue May 11, 2021 4:23 pm

OA260 wrote:
Air Coach have announced that their Dublin Airport to Belfast service is resuming 15/5. Maybe it should run to BHD rather then Europa Bus station .

It would be a lot more useful to those on board :)

OA260

Tue May 11, 2021 4:46 pm

Some positive vibes coming from government about CTA travel opening up .

Travel restrictions between Ireland and Britain should be lifted during the summer, Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has said.
Mr Varadkar said he will be making the case to fully restore the Common Travel Area between the two countries in the coming months to boost pub and restaurant trade for the beleaguered tourism industry

www.independent.ie/irish-news/travel-re ... 14555.html

BrianDromey

Tue May 11, 2021 5:11 pm

OA260 wrote:
Some positive vibes coming from government about CTA travel opening up .
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tr ... 14555.html

Thats good, at least. There does seem to be an element of pragmatism going on, which is good to see and I think Dublin will be very resistant to any impression that they are encouraging a border on the island.

The sting is in the tail though "However, he said he did not believe travel between Ireland and the rest of Europe or the US will fully return until next year.
That is less encouraging, but I wonder if he is talking about demand, which is going to be depressed by restrictions through the summer and EU/US tourists will simply go elsewhere?

Galwayman

Tue May 11, 2021 7:29 pm

kaitak wrote:
OA260 wrote:

In fairness, few would deserve that honour more than he did. Few people did more for the development of Irish aviation than he did. I actually suggested that a good many years ago. While Dev was an isolationist, Lemass, as Minister for Industry & Commerce, was behind the founding of EI and was far more outward looking. He commissioned the Whittaker report in the late 1950s and it's no coincidence that his tenure as Taoiseach coincident with significant economic progress and growing confidence.

-------------------

Yes great idea, Lemass would be perfect . Should have been named after him years ago .

OA260

Wed May 12, 2021 6:58 am

Meetings on Friday will be held between Aer Lingus and Unions to discuss current situation and what Aer Lingus intends to do now that its looking like a second Summer of a virtually shut down route network.

Unions to meet Aer Lingus to discuss jobs outlook as losses mount
Fórsa and Siptu to hold talks with management as second lost summer looms

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 7?mode=amp

ClassicLover

Wed May 12, 2021 8:53 am

BrianDromey wrote:
The sting is in the tail though "However, he said he did not believe travel between Ireland and the rest of Europe or the US will fully return until next year.
That is less encouraging, but I wonder if he is talking about demand, which is going to be depressed by restrictions through the summer and EU/US tourists will simply go elsewhere?

I don't think he is talking about demand, as it is not his place to be referring to demand. Sounds to me like it's going to be a continuation of restrictions on who can travel where and when. Certainly I think it's a bit silly - if we're all supposed to be vaccinated before winter (September, October), then we should be able to travel anywhere we like.

Clearly there must be more to the story. Australia has already said it won't be opening up international travel until sometime in 2022, apart from select travel bubbles and Qantas has just cancelled their restart of international services, pushing it back to the middle of December 2021 now.

OA260

Wed May 12, 2021 2:02 pm

Looks like another wave of cancelations for some Aer Lingus Regional routes are being removed from sale until July.

IOM GLA EDI ABZ NQY BHX BRS MAN ex DUB and from BHD to BHX EDI LBA EMA MAN EXT . From ORK - BHX MAN BRS .

Some seem to be frequency reductions.

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed May 12, 2021 4:31 pm

EDI and GLA would be frequency reductions; the rest haven't been operating at all. I would imagine Stobart is hoping for July to bring the opening of inter-CTA travel that Leo has been talking about. Fingers crossed.

Sadly for Stobart, the contract with Emerald is supposed to be signed this week. I can only imagine that this is going to be a bitter blow to Stobart. They have provided excellent service to EI over the course of the deal with EI and one can't help thinking that they were stabbed in the back. They had excellent crews, a very good and reliable operation (obviously apart from the times when weather prevented the use of ATRs).

With regard to the antigen issue, if it the issue is that people with positive antigen tests won't report or act on them, then surely - from an aviation perspective that's not an issue. A positive result can't be changed to a negative result. If you want to fly, you need to bring evidence of a negative result - either the test itself or evidence of it being conducted elsewhere. If there are concerns about accuracy, then identify the test kits you deem acceptable. But we need to move forward on this,.

BrianDromey

Wed May 12, 2021 5:07 pm

kaitak wrote:
Sadly for Stobart, the contract with Emerald is supposed to be signed this week. I can only imagine that this is going to be a bitter blow to Stobart. They have provided excellent service to EI over the course of the deal with EI and one can't help thinking that they were stabbed in the back. They had excellent crews, a very good and reliable operation (obviously apart from the times when weather prevented the use of ATRs).

After the arrival of the -600's things improved quite a bit, operationally. The initial few years of the EIR operation were operationally rough. The ex DL/ASA -200s were especially unpleasant inside and unreliable. At the time RE was in very poor financial shape, the EIR contract saved them, but they never diversified much beyond it. There were rumours of various mergers with CityJet, AirNostrum. Of course the flyBe fiasco and operating all sorts of routes from SEN, introducing E195s at one point, then E190s for BA and KL. Certainly a colourful little airline! Is there any way for the crews to be taken on at Emerald, or join ht queue with anybody else who might apply?

alancostello

Thu May 13, 2021 3:01 am

So I'm currently in the US for grad school and am very fortunate to be fully vaccinated, I was hoping to head home in July/August but I'm honestly sure if I'd be allowed under current regulations? I know I can skip MHQ and quarantine at home (with a test on day 5) but would I get in trouble for coming in the first place and/or leaving again a few weeks later? I see the talk of the statutory instrument, surely leaving for college is an essential purpose, but I would have to get in to the country in the first place to leave again.

OA260

Thu May 13, 2021 7:06 am

Although profits understandably slumped they see a “fruitful” year ahead most likely as airlines will need their services as they slowly restart their schedules again.

Operating profits at aircraft maintenance firm Dublin Aerospace tumbled to €790,000 in its last financial year from €5.6m a year earlier as its revenue declined as a result of the Covid pandemic.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 16446.html

BrianDromey

Thu May 13, 2021 9:12 am

alancostello wrote:
So I'm currently in the US for grad school and am very fortunate to be fully vaccinated, I was hoping to head home in July/August but I'm honestly sure if I'd be allowed under current regulations? I know I can skip MHQ and quarantine at home (with a test on day 5) but would I get in trouble for coming in the first place and/or leaving again a few weeks later? I see the talk of the statutory instrument, surely leaving for college is an essential purpose, but I would have to get in to the country in the first place to leave again.

I 100% feel your pain, Im in a similar position. the guidance is clear, if difficult to find. Oddly its on citizens advice rather than GOV.ie. Social family visits do seem to be specifically excluded, at the moment there is no exception for fully vaccinated individuals, other than that they don't have to compete MHQ.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/t ... covid.html

You should only travel to Ireland if you have an essential reason for doing so.

Essential family travel does not include social visits, but may include:

Caring for children
Caring for older or vulnerable people, particularly if they live alone
Exercising your legal right of access to a child
Going to a court hearing
Going to a funeral
Essential business travel covers people whose presence in Ireland is critical to the functioning of a business.

Other essential reasons for travel include:

To go to college or school if you have to be there in person
To go with a child or a vulnerable adult to school if they have to be there in person
To go to a medical or dental appointment, or to go to an appointment with someone you live with, or a vulnerable person
To seek essential or urgent medical, health or dental services, or to accompany someone you live with, or a vulnerable person who needs essential treatment
If you have an essential reason to travel to Ireland, you may still have to quarantine.

This might all change next week as the EU is expected to change entry regulations from non-EU countries. Apparently Portugal want to welcome UK travellers from the 15th of May and Portugal will be on the UK Green List from the 17th. It seems the EU wont be ready to move on this until the 19th, or later. Of course, border control is still, just about, a member state decision. As Portugal holds the EU presidency, the political optics are an issue. Entry to France from the UK does not require an essential reason, for example. Ireland, not being a Schengen member wont have any obligation at all to head what the commission declare. Although we do seem to be a Schengen member as a when it suits the need for political cover.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/germ ... -wsq30n8z7

OA260

Thu May 13, 2021 9:40 am

As of today Germany has updated their requirements :
Lufthansa emailed me this which applies to Dublin flights so one less hurdle to jump :

The most important points at-a-glance:

Fully vaccinated or recovered persons are exempt from the testing requirement. However, this does not apply to entry from virus variant areas: Here, proof of testing is still required prior to departure

Travelers are considered vaccinated if they have completed their vaccination series more than 14 days ago with a vaccine approved in the EU. These are currently the vaccines from BioNTech/Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson. The proof of recovery must be a PCR/LAMP/TMA test proof that is at least 28 days and at most six months old.

shadyshamrock

Thu May 13, 2021 11:57 am

OA260 How do we prove vaccination?

Also just noticing the rule there and wondering if the US will accept AstraZeneca? AFAIK it's still not approved over there, both of my parents had the first dose of AZ last week and the only place they would de desperate to travel to is the USA to see the new grandkid. All wait and see I suppose.

aerloingeas

Thu May 13, 2021 1:29 pm

shadyshamrock wrote:

Also just noticing the rule there and wondering if the US will accept AstraZeneca? AFAIK it's still not approved over there, both of my parents had the first dose of AZ last week and the only place they would de desperate to travel to is the USA to see the new grandkid. All wait and see I suppose.

Interesting point. If the US were to introduce such a rule (currently does not) it could therefore lead to a situation where receiving Astra over Pfizer, Moderna, J&J etc. might in fact create a barrier to travel !

OA260

Thu May 13, 2021 2:12 pm

shadyshamrock wrote:

The US will most likely accept all the vaccines that are currently approved by the WHO / EU / UK etc .. You get a vaccination card which records the date / vaccine type and batch number for both first and second dose. It is also recorded in your medical records.

—-

In the meantime some sound bites from the government over the extended supports that the have been called for by the industry.

The Government is considering an extended wage support scheme specifically for aviation amid fears of further job losses in the sector, according to a senior official in the Department of Transport.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0513/1221 ... onference/

AmricanShamrok

Thu May 13, 2021 4:55 pm

The word "gamechanger" has become a cliche in this pandemic here's another potential for the list.

British Airways trialling ‘game-changer’ COVID-19 test with results in 25 seconds
https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/ba-tria ... vid-tests/

If it's really as accurate as the PCR with results in 25 seconds, it might be just the thing the Irish aviation industry needs. No word on how expensive they are though...

BrianDromey

Thu May 13, 2021 6:28 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
The word "gamechanger" has become a cliche in this pandemic here's another potential for the list.

British Airways trialling ‘game-changer’ COVID-19 test with results in 25 seconds
https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/ba-tria ... vid-tests/

If it's really as accurate as the PCR with results in 25 seconds, it might be just the thing the Irish aviation industry needs. No word on how expensive they are though...

Their website provides no evidence of their claimed sensitivity or specificity, which makes me suspicious. There is no mention of trial methodology, much less data or results. That said there do appear to be variations on this theme making similar claims with slightly better data. All of that said, I think this is a very important approach. We're moving into a different phase where the danger is variants. That means a different approach is required. A PCR on arrival or a few days later allows positive cases to be sequenced and prevalence of COVID at points of entry to be monitored. We have to remember the virus is always ahead of us, so we need to plan ahead, rather than focussing on historic data, obsessing with quarantines and working around lockdowns.

I still feel NPHET would prefer a closed borders, zero covid policy and are very cautious about travel. Remember, it's only a few weeks ago that they were locking vaccinated individuals in hotels for 2 weeks with no logic or scientific basis for it. Our only salvation is that demand is totally suppressed across Europe so EI and FR dont have better options for their narrow body fleet right now. Judging by the prices of Irish hotels for the summer, the loss of the American tourists wont be too badly felt, if at all. Thats only hotels, tour companies, car hire and busses favoured by forcing tourists are a different thing.

ClassicLover

Thu May 13, 2021 7:54 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:

Yeah I saw their press release today.

A gamechanger would be this at a cost of about €10 and no quarantine requirement at either end, quite frankly.

OA260

Thu May 13, 2021 9:31 pm

Looks like Ryanair are on a mission to improve customer care / perceptions. Maybe they should just refund their customers who constantly complain when they post on Social Media and did not even use a OTA.

Ryanair offers expenses-paid trips across Europe (for something in return)

Members of its new Customer Advisory Panel could visit cities such as Warsaw, Madrid and Rome after its first meeting in Dublin.

https://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-offe ... n-12305396

OA260

Fri May 14, 2021 6:38 am

Not sure the government has any powers to extend the agreement on the SNN slots use. Although I did read comments somewhere else that other pressures could be enacted.

No provision to extend Heathrow slots from Shannon Airport beyond next year

www.clareecho.ie/no-provision-to-extend ... next-year/

Ireland West Airport Knock has today welcomed one of the largest passenger aircrafts in the world - the Airbus A330-302.

www.con-telegraph.ie/2021/05/13/one-of- ... ort-knock/

Looks like its an Ex QR A330 for scrapping .

dstc47

Fri May 14, 2021 7:36 am

OA260 wrote:

Ireland West Airport Knock has today welcomed one of the largest passenger aircrafts in the world - the Airbus A330-302.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/2021/05/13/ ... ort-knock/

Looks like its an Ex QR A330 for scrapping .

There is already an ex AF A380 in Knock for some time, also doomed, so this is a strange story to publicise.

BrianDromey

Fri May 14, 2021 8:54 am

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0 ... trictions/
Ryanair wants EU and UK travel restrictions lifted by end of May
[I]"Ryanair has called for the removal of all travel restrictions from the end of May for air travel between Ireland and both the UK and EU.

The airline said the reducing numbers of people in hospital with Covid-19, coupled with the rollout of the Covid-19 vaccine, means restrictions including hotel quarantine should end.

"Thanks to the success of the UK's vaccine program, there is no justification for requiring visitors to Ireland from the UK (our major visitor market) to quarantine," said Ryanair CEO Eddie Wilson."[/]

Good on Ryanair for pushing for restrictions to be lifted. I think the end of May is very ambitious, but the sooner they press for the better. I do take issue with some of their statements like "UK travellers pose no risk", this just is not true and I think it undermines their case. Taking issue with MHQ for EU countries and not for EU countries is clearly beneficial to short-haul, predominantly EU focussed Ryanair.

OA260

Fri May 14, 2021 9:15 am

BrianDromey wrote:
https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0514/1221515-ryanair-travel-restrictions/
Ryanair wants EU and UK travel restrictions lifted by end of May
[I]"Ryanair has called for the removal of all travel restrictions from the end of May for air travel between Ireland and both the UK and EU.

The airline said the reducing numbers of people in hospital with Covid-19, coupled with the rollout of the Covid-19 vaccine, means restrictions including hotel quarantine should end.

"Thanks to the success of the UK's vaccine program, there is no justification for requiring visitors to Ireland from the UK (our major visitor market) to quarantine," said Ryanair CEO Eddie Wilson."[/]

Good on Ryanair for pushing for restrictions to be lifted. I think the end of May is very ambitious, but the sooner they press for the better. I do take issue with some of their statements like "UK travellers pose no risk", this just is not true and I think it undermines their case. Taking issue with MHQ for EU countries and not for EU countries is clearly beneficial to short-haul, predominantly EU focussed Ryanair.

End of June - Mid July is the current forecast of the ROI-UK travel bubble. Although the horse has already bolted and there are increases in ROI travelers now flying out of BFS/BHD. There seems to have been an increase in this since the ease of the 20KM radius especially the border counties.

Hopefully the news of the hacking / shut down of Irelands ailing health service HSE computer system this morning will not effect the data of those already vaccinated especially with them due to start testing the EU C-19 travel certificate program.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos