Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11881
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 2:21 am

Qantas has provided a market update today

Lockdowns in PER ($15m), BNE ($29m) and SYD northern beaches ($400m) have led to just under a 450 million black hole

Corporate travel at 75% pre COVID will domestic is on schedule to operate 95% of pre COVID

All domestic fleet for both QF and JQ are in service while 5 788’s and 6 A320’s from GK to be added, overall 38 new routes have been added since last July

About half of the A330’s and all 789’s are currently active

NZ is currently around 60% of pre COVID

Qantas will lower front end commissions to travel agents from 5 to 1% from July 22

2 year wage freeze announced and expression of interest for voluntary redundancies for international cabin crew is now under way

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/7978/
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 4:28 am

There's been plenty of speculation about how many A380s Qantas would bring back( six, twelve or none) and not much of a timeline as to 'when' except that they went into storage for three or four years and would come out when demand returned to pre-COVID levels around 2024.

After today's market update Alan Joyce said that six A380s, presumably the refurbed ones, are planned to come back at the end of 2023, and the other six in 2024. Although today's announcement said that international A380 and A330 cabin crew would be offered voluntary redundancy, Joyce said he expects there'll be enough A380 crew left in the ranks and enough pilots for those first six A380s.

More at https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... 0s-in-2023
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2862
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 4:42 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
There's been plenty of speculation about how many A380s Qantas would bring back( six, twelve or none) and not much of a timeline as to 'when' except that they went into storage for three or four years and would come out when demand returned to pre-COVID levels around 2024.

After today's market update Alan Joyce said that six A380s, presumably the refurbed ones, are planned to come back at the end of 2023, and the other six in 2024. Although today's announcement said that international A380 and A330 cabin crew would be offered voluntary redundancy, Joyce said he expects there'll be enough A380 crew left in the ranks and enough pilots for those first six A380s.

More at https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... 0s-in-2023

AJ has been a firm follower of Churchill's saying "Never waste a crisis." Rolling out the older more expensive A380 crews is a long term financial play by Qantas. In 2024, if all 12 A380s are reactivated, I would expect QF to create a new pool of A380 flight crew largely sourced from the much cheaper pool of pilots currently flying A320s for JQ.
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 4:57 am

Virgin Australia chief executive Jayne Hrdlicka has walked back comments she made this week about the need to open the nation’s borders even if “some people may die”.


“I absolutely understand my words, taken in isolation, were hurtful to some people,” she said. “If I had my time again I would maybe choose my words a bit differently.”


https://www.smh.com.au/national/queensl ... 57tk1.html

I understand why the media pounced on her remark, the old "if it bleeds is leads" approach, but for my money JH has actually helped put this squarely on the table for discussion, her voice has added to those calling for us to take a 'learning to live with COVID' approach and accepting that it's here to stay, at least for a while, and that can't as a nation shut ourselves away from the world. The EU overnight has said it would reopen borders and people who've been fully vaccinated would not need to under enter quarantine, and I think we need to get to that place a lot faster in Australia.
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 5:12 am

The other thing from today's QF market update was about the voluntary redundancy is being offered to international A330 and A380 cabin crews but not Boeing 787 cabin crews, which makes sense as the 787s will be fully deployed as the main international aircraft, but does this mean Qantas expects not to bring back all the international A330s?
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 5:15 am

Also on the jobs front, from https://newsroom.virginaustralia.com/re ... ities-more

Last month Virgin Australia announced more than 220 cabin crew would return to the skies from the airline’s discontinued long-haul international, ATR regional and Tigerair Australia operations, as well as a major recruitment drive to fill an additional 150 new cabin crew roles. The majority of those 370 new roles are completing their training with many now flying across our domestic network.
Today, Virgin Australia announced it will commence another major recruitment drive for approximately 250 new jobs over the coming months, which will include pilots, baggage handlers as well as specialist IT and technical services positions.


Given that Bain has already paid out redundancies for so many pilots and cabin crew when it went through that post-administration 'downsizing', does this mean it's now going to be trying to hire back a lot of former pilots and cabin crew? If so that's been a very expensive process for Bain, paying a lot of money to sack people and then going through the motions to hire them back?
 
ben175
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 5:34 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
The other thing from today's QF market update was about the voluntary redundancy is being offered to international A330 and A380 cabin crews but not Boeing 787 cabin crews, which makes sense as the 787s will be fully deployed as the main international aircraft, but does this mean Qantas expects not to bring back all the international A330s?


I thought the 787 and A380 crew are the same bracket?
It’s either 330 or 380+787, atleast in the MEL base.
 
anstar
Posts: 3383
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 7:15 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
The other thing from today's QF market update was about the voluntary redundancy is being offered to international A330 and A380 cabin crews but not Boeing 787 cabin crews, which makes sense as the 787s will be fully deployed as the main international aircraft, but does this mean Qantas expects not to bring back all the international A330s?


I wonder how many will take it given they can keep working their new jobs and get aviation keeper at the same time. Might work out more $$$ than taking redundancy.
 
Foopz
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 10:19 am

qf789 wrote:
Virgin says they will add 700 weekly services across the network by October including 5 new routes

Guess the $200m the QLD Government pumped into VA is having an influence.
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 919
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 10:22 am

qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

The latest outburst from REX sees them accuse Qantas of ripping off their customers and Virgin as a weak competitor

https://australianaviation.com.au/2021/ ... -canberra/


I dont know what is in it for Rex by talking about their competitors like that.


We have to remember John Sharp is an ex-politician, so name calling and telling half-truths is the status-quo. Of course he forgot he was a politician when he decided to share the good news that REX was exploring entering into the domestic capital city routes to the AFR rather than telling the ASX and his own shareholders. What will be telling is how REX's financials/performance look like when they next report t ASX.
 
ben175
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 2:23 pm

Bit of an odd schedule for the VA PER-CNS service. Departs PER at 1745, arriving just before midnight which could make getting to Port Douglas or other nearby holiday towns pretty challenging.

I would’ve thought an early afternoon arrival would make more sense. Glad they’ve left the red eye to JQ though.
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 1889
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 5:17 pm

Qantas A380 VH-OQC filed VCV-LAX 12:30PM - 1:20PM as QF6011 for checks at the Qantas hangar prior to ferrying to Europe in the summer for a heavy check.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qf6011
 
User avatar
Velocity7
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 9:56 pm

qf789 wrote:
Corporate travel at 75% pre COVID will domestic is on schedule to operate 95% of pre COVID


I've got to say Corporate Travel @ 75% pre COVID is interesting and totally not what I was expecting. I am definitely seeing an uptick in the number of people entering our CBD building (which houses a number of ASX100 companies) with carry on bags/spinners but it is still nowhere near what I would see >12 months ago at 0900 each and every day.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 2092
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 10:31 pm

Velocity7 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Corporate travel at 75% pre COVID will domestic is on schedule to operate 95% of pre COVID


I've got to say Corporate Travel @ 75% pre COVID is interesting and totally not what I was expecting. I am definitely seeing an uptick in the number of people entering our CBD building (which houses a number of ASX100 companies) with carry on bags/spinners but it is still nowhere near what I would see >12 months ago at 0900 each and every day.


Where I work the travel budget is still in place, it hasn't been used that much. Now it is possible, flights are going out the door as people go to 'meetings' followed by some time away from my city...
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1992
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 11:48 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
Virgin Australia chief executive Jayne Hrdlicka has walked back comments she made this week about the need to open the nation’s borders even if “some people may die”.


“I absolutely understand my words, taken in isolation, were hurtful to some people,” she said. “If I had my time again I would maybe choose my words a bit differently.”


https://www.smh.com.au/national/queensl ... 57tk1.html

I understand why the media pounced on her remark, the old "if it bleeds is leads" approach, but for my money JH has actually helped put this squarely on the table for discussion, her voice has added to those calling for us to take a 'learning to live with COVID' approach and accepting that it's here to stay, at least for a while, and that can't as a nation shut ourselves away from the world. The EU overnight has said it would reopen borders and people who've been fully vaccinated would not need to under enter quarantine, and I think we need to get to that place a lot faster in Australia.


It was really odd that she broke the comms dictum to only use "die" if you can preface it with "noone will".

But, in context, her point was well made. We deal with 400+ influenza deaths per year as not good but still normal, yet the thought of a single Covid death keeps us in lockdown. Yes, transmissability is different, but the Covid vaccines appear far more effective that the flu ones.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2862
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Fri May 21, 2021 12:03 am

Kent350787 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
Virgin Australia chief executive Jayne Hrdlicka has walked back comments she made this week about the need to open the nation’s borders even if “some people may die”.


“I absolutely understand my words, taken in isolation, were hurtful to some people,” she said. “If I had my time again I would maybe choose my words a bit differently.”


https://www.smh.com.au/national/queensl ... 57tk1.html

I understand why the media pounced on her remark, the old "if it bleeds is leads" approach, but for my money JH has actually helped put this squarely on the table for discussion, her voice has added to those calling for us to take a 'learning to live with COVID' approach and accepting that it's here to stay, at least for a while, and that can't as a nation shut ourselves away from the world. The EU overnight has said it would reopen borders and people who've been fully vaccinated would not need to under enter quarantine, and I think we need to get to that place a lot faster in Australia.


It was really odd that she broke the comms dictum to only use "die" if you can preface it with "noone will".

But, in context, her point was well made. We deal with 400+ influenza deaths per year as not good but still normal, yet the thought of a single Covid death keeps us in lockdown. Yes, transmissability is different, but the Covid vaccines appear far more effective that the flu ones.

Her wording was clumsy but her intentions were probably honorable. The only mistake I thought she obviously made was she appeared to be looking for an immediate reopening of borders. What would have been a better approach would have been to say that borders should reopen once all those who want a vaccination have had the opportunity to do so. Realistically, this probably translates to around March next year but I'm not sure whether we will be moving to vaccination of all teenagers which may delay this by a few months. Children under 12 are unlikely to be vaccinated given the virus is typically minor for them and none of the existing vaccines have completed trials on this age group. Given an election is due in May, it is unlikely that the borders will reopen before it but the government will need to have announced a reopening roadmap before the election.
 
qf2048
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Sat May 22, 2021 12:09 am

I live in one of the destinations QF have started their "predatory" action towards ZL. Thing I've noticed since QF have stated coming here is ZL for the first time have fares at $99 one way. Never been this price in the past. QF fares are dearer but still seem to sell well. A quick search on flight centre for next Friday afternoon for example. ZL to SYD $236, QF $346. Flights are 15 mins apart from each other.
ZL in the past have been selling that Friday afternoon flight for up to $500.
I've also heard comments from a few locals about how good it is they can now fly to Sydney on FF points +$34 taxes. (personally I think t's a bad use of points on a short flight)
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Sat May 22, 2021 6:13 am

qf2048 wrote:
I live in one of the destinations QF have started their "predatory" action towards ZL. Thing I've noticed since QF have stated coming here is ZL for the first time have fares at $99 one way. Never been this price in the past. QF fares are dearer but still seem to sell well. A quick search on flight centre for next Friday afternoon for example. ZL to SYD $236, QF $346. Flights are 15 mins apart from each other.
ZL in the past have been selling that Friday afternoon flight for up to $500.


LOL John Sharp was eager to make a point about Qantas' high SYD-CBR and MEL-CBR fares when Rex entered both markets, here's the reverse at play now.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 3090
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Sat May 22, 2021 6:55 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Also on the jobs front, from https://newsroom.virginaustralia.com/re ... ities-more

Last month Virgin Australia announced more than 220 cabin crew would return to the skies from the airline’s discontinued long-haul international, ATR regional and Tigerair Australia operations, as well as a major recruitment drive to fill an additional 150 new cabin crew roles. The majority of those 370 new roles are completing their training with many now flying across our domestic network.
Today, Virgin Australia announced it will commence another major recruitment drive for approximately 250 new jobs over the coming months, which will include pilots, baggage handlers as well as specialist IT and technical services positions.


Given that Bain has already paid out redundancies for so many pilots and cabin crew when it went through that post-administration 'downsizing', does this mean it's now going to be trying to hire back a lot of former pilots and cabin crew? If so that's been a very expensive process for Bain, paying a lot of money to sack people and then going through the motions to hire them back?


I don;t know what was in the VA redundancy payment document, but very often in similar cases there's a clause saying you cant be rehired within a certain time frame.
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Sat May 22, 2021 2:29 pm

eta unknown wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
Also on the jobs front, from https://newsroom.virginaustralia.com/re ... ities-more

Last month Virgin Australia announced more than 220 cabin crew would return to the skies from the airline’s discontinued long-haul international, ATR regional and Tigerair Australia operations, as well as a major recruitment drive to fill an additional 150 new cabin crew roles. The majority of those 370 new roles are completing their training with many now flying across our domestic network.
Today, Virgin Australia announced it will commence another major recruitment drive for approximately 250 new jobs over the coming months, which will include pilots, baggage handlers as well as specialist IT and technical services positions.


Given that Bain has already paid out redundancies for so many pilots and cabin crew when it went through that post-administration 'downsizing', does this mean it's now going to be trying to hire back a lot of former pilots and cabin crew? If so that's been a very expensive process for Bain, paying a lot of money to sack people and then going through the motions to hire them back?


I don;t know what was in the VA redundancy payment document, but very often in similar cases there's a clause saying you cant be rehired within a certain time frame.


Actually as I understand it, the pilot pool are in line to be the first retired in order of seniority.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 2092
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Sun May 23, 2021 1:38 am

aerokiwi wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
Also on the jobs front, from https://newsroom.virginaustralia.com/re ... ities-more



Given that Bain has already paid out redundancies for so many pilots and cabin crew when it went through that post-administration 'downsizing', does this mean it's now going to be trying to hire back a lot of former pilots and cabin crew? If so that's been a very expensive process for Bain, paying a lot of money to sack people and then going through the motions to hire them back?


I don;t know what was in the VA redundancy payment document, but very often in similar cases there's a clause saying you cant be rehired within a certain time frame.


Actually as I understand it, the pilot pool are in line to be the first retired in order of seniority.


Rehired or retired?
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 3090
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Sun May 23, 2021 8:56 am

Can't be rehired. IIRC QF many years ago had this clause (I knew a guy from revenue management who did some contract YM work at our carrier): you couldn't be rehired within 2 years. I believe Garuda in Australia has a slightly different clause: you can't come back into exactly the same job (so if you were airport duty supervisor permanent and made redundant, you could only come back as duty supervisor casual at the same level).
 
Qantaslink2041
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:12 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Sun May 23, 2021 9:50 am

Does anyone know when Pionair E190 VH-SEF will enter service or what it’s current situation is?
 
User avatar
77west
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 12:43 am

Question, has QF deactivated the upper deck last door on the right? It looks like it from this seat map

https://www.qantas.com/content/dam/qant ... PY341Y.pdf

Didnt think this would be allowed these days certainly not for the last door or first door.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1992
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 12:55 am

77west wrote:
Question, has QF deactivated the upper deck last door on the right? It looks like it from this seat map

https://www.qantas.com/content/dam/qant ... PY341Y.pdf

Didnt think this would be allowed these days certainly not for the last door or first door.


It is part of the official A380 Flex option offered where the upper deck density is otherwise lower due to premium classes
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... antas.html
 
User avatar
77west
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 1:30 am

Kent350787 wrote:
77west wrote:
Question, has QF deactivated the upper deck last door on the right? It looks like it from this seat map

https://www.qantas.com/content/dam/qant ... PY341Y.pdf

Didnt think this would be allowed these days certainly not for the last door or first door.


It is part of the official A380 Flex option offered where the upper deck density is otherwise lower due to premium classes
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... antas.html


Interesting, thanks I wasn't aware of that. Do they actually fully plug the door? Poor person who thought they were getting a window seat... gets a wall/door seat!
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 717
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 2:45 am

First big cold front of winter hit PER this weekend, resulted in some interesting conditions on the ground with the crosswind runway in use.

Yesterdays flight times were on the longer side, would be interesting to see the fuel reserves on the narrowbodies! A number of go-rounds and the BNE-PER flight times were pushing 6 hours -a long time in a 737.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2862
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 2:50 am

77west wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
77west wrote:
Question, has QF deactivated the upper deck last door on the right? It looks like it from this seat map

https://www.qantas.com/content/dam/qant ... PY341Y.pdf

Didnt think this would be allowed these days certainly not for the last door or first door.


It is part of the official A380 Flex option offered where the upper deck density is otherwise lower due to premium classes
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... antas.html


Interesting, thanks I wasn't aware of that. Do they actually fully plug the door? Poor person who thought they were getting a window seat... gets a wall/door seat!

It is a fairly significant reconfiguration at the aft of the upper deck. As well as closing off the starboard rear door, an extra toilet has been added where the last four starboard seats were previously located aft of the now removed door. This was pretty essential given the W cabin didn't have its own toilet in the previous configuration with W pax either using the single port side toilet shared with the Y seats back there or, more often, the J class seats forward of the W cabin. In the new configuration, W has grown from 35 to 60 seats so the toilet situation had to be addressed.
 
Obzerva
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 4:54 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
A number of go-rounds and the BNE-PER flight times were pushing 6 hours -a long time in a 737.


You may not enjoy JQ's A321XLRs in a few years time then!
 
LTEN11
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:09 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 7:06 am

Obzerva wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
A number of go-rounds and the BNE-PER flight times were pushing 6 hours -a long time in a 737.


You may not enjoy JQ's A321XLRs in a few years time then!


Surely that extra inch of cabin width will make all the difference. You might end up with your knees bruised, but at least your ass will be nice and comfy :cloudnine:
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 1:05 pm

qf2220 wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

I don;t know what was in the VA redundancy payment document, but very often in similar cases there's a clause saying you cant be rehired within a certain time frame.


Actually as I understand it, the pilot pool are in line to be the first retired in order of seniority.


Rehired or retired?


Good catch - rehired. Bloody autocorrect! I believe eta-unknown that in Virgin's case this is the current arrangement, but that there has been some murmurings about splitting the pilot group by offering existing employed pilots better conditions to dilute this rehiring requirement. This is all scuttlebutt though so may be off the mark.
 
User avatar
Velocity7
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 9:13 pm

I noticed VA 737 VH-YIJ performing a HKG-BNE flight on Saturday and I see it ferried up there about 3 weeks prior. What type of maintenance is done in HKG for VA? I think it was planned via CNS but ended up direct to BNE according to FR24? That's a long time in a 737!
 
PERA346
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 11:54 pm

Looks like Thai Airways is planning to restart flights to PER in the new year starting at 4 weekly flights on B789. Schedule is the same as the afternoon TG482 from pre-Covid days. Dummy searches have it hoping to start from 27/03
 
F100Flyer
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:50 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 12:59 am

PERA346 wrote:
Looks like Thai Airways is planning to restart flights to PER in the new year starting at 4 weekly flights on B789. Schedule is the same as the afternoon TG482 from pre-Covid days. Dummy searches have it hoping to start from 27/03


Will be great to see them back. Flew their A333R HS-TEN-TEP aircraft in J occasionally and despite a bit samey with their catering, the value was outstanding. $4,500rtn to LHR in J. And the 789 J is a big upgrade on the 788 albeit not as good as the one seats on the A333.
 
getluv
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 6:04 am

QF launching/resuming seven routes from August and upgrading some domestic flights to A330 and B787 (PER-SYD).

New/resumed routes:
ADL-TSV/CNS/HBA (E190 - 3x/4x/~daily)
TSV-SYD/MEL (E190 - daily)
PER-OOL (B737 - 3x)
SYD-AYQ (B737 - 5x)

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... -domestic/
 
hk144
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:36 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 10:15 am

Surely QF could look at an Adelaide - Launceston with the E190?
 
ADL77W
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 11:44 am

hk144 wrote:
Surely QF could look at an Adelaide - Launceston with the E190?


That was one of my bets too. Fully expected Cairns and Hobart (less so Townsville), but Launceston certainly has to be one of the largest missing links - along with Newcastle perhaps...
 
budgetflyer
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 11:59 am

getluv wrote:
QF launching/resuming seven routes from August and upgrading some domestic flights to A330 and B787 (PER-SYD).

New/resumed routes:
ADL-TSV/CNS/HBA (E190 - 3x/4x/~daily)
TSV-SYD/MEL (E190 - daily)
PER-OOL (B737 - 3x)
SYD-AYQ (B737 - 5x)

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... -domestic/


A nice selection of new routes - QF have really pushed these hub-busting flights in a big way.

It seems that QF will be going head-to-head with VA on the North QLD routes. QF will win on frequency, but I don’t think the 0630 flight from TSV-MEL will be too popular with the leisure crowd, for instance.
I’d pick VA for the better flight times, but I know others will feel differently.
 
Obzerva
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 12:08 pm

I’m wondering when VA is finally going to show their Alliance hand, expecting CBR to feature heavily.
 
budgetflyer
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 12:09 pm

ADL77W wrote:
hk144 wrote:
Surely QF could look at an Adelaide - Launceston with the E190?


That was one of my bets too. Fully expected Cairns and Hobart (less so Townsville), but Launceston certainly has to be one of the largest missing links - along with Newcastle perhaps...


I think Launceston would be a good pick for Jetstar.
This article is from 2019, and a lot has changed since then obviously, but about 40,000 pax travelled between the two in 2018/2019.

https://www.anna.aero/2019/10/30/iata-s ... -revealed/

I’m surprised that Adelaide- Newcastle doesn’t make the chart though!
 
melpax
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 12:39 pm

COVID outbreak in Melbourne, Indian variant :-( .

9 confirmed cases so far, but thousands have been forced to be tested & isolate, given one of the cases visited a major Shopping Mall while infections...

The other states have imposed restrictions on people visiting from certain areas of Melbourne, and 'bubble flights' between MEL & New Zealand have been temporarily paused.

The next 24-48 hours are critical in determining if Melbourne enters another lockdown.....

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 57v3s.html
 
ADL77W
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 1:36 pm

budgetflyer wrote:
ADL77W wrote:
hk144 wrote:
Surely QF could look at an Adelaide - Launceston with the E190?


That was one of my bets too. Fully expected Cairns and Hobart (less so Townsville), but Launceston certainly has to be one of the largest missing links - along with Newcastle perhaps...


I think Launceston would be a good pick for Jetstar.
This article is from 2019, and a lot has changed since then obviously, but about 40,000 pax travelled between the two in 2018/2019.

https://www.anna.aero/2019/10/30/iata-s ... -revealed/

I’m surprised that Adelaide- Newcastle doesn’t make the chart though!


Yeah JQ could be. Just wonder if the 320 is just a little too big for this kind of route though - especially with so many good connections through Melbourne? Perhaps a 3/week could work though?

I think Newcastle could be as big as many on that list - it's just completely unstimulated. Fly Pelican tried it, but they just had next to no brand recognition or point of sale in Adelaide. Definitely think it has potential on the Embraer though!
 
ben175
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 1:54 pm

It’s so fantastic to see all these new markets open up across the country - by far one of the best things to come out of the pandemic.

The only thing left on my wish list is seeing more flights into BME from the East Coast. Also the return of PER-AYQ.

Does anyone know how forward bookings on JQs upcoming PER-BQB flights are looking?
 
Sylus
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 2:19 pm

ben175 wrote:
It’s so fantastic to see all these new markets open up across the country - by far one of the best things to come out of the pandemic.

The only thing left on my wish list is seeing more flights into BME from the East Coast. Also the return of PER-AYQ.

Does anyone know how forward bookings on JQs upcoming PER-BQB flights are looking?


BME does get some QF east coast flights but it's so limited by accommodation
 
346fetish
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 3:24 pm

Would anyone see QF fly the 388 on domestic soon?
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5690
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 8:47 pm

346fetish wrote:
Would anyone see QF fly the 388 on domestic soon?

I was waiting for the sarcasm part but I believe you being genuine...
A380’s have been put to sleep in the Mojave Desert until 2024 and that’s if they return which I believe they will... OQC has already ferried to LAX to under go minor mx checks prior to heading off to Europe for heavy mx...

(I know AJ has indicated they’ll make a return)...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8688
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 9:02 pm

Sylus wrote:
ben175 wrote:
It’s so fantastic to see all these new markets open up across the country - by far one of the best things to come out of the pandemic.

The only thing left on my wish list is seeing more flights into BME from the East Coast. Also the return of PER-AYQ.

Does anyone know how forward bookings on JQs upcoming PER-BQB flights are looking?


BME does get some QF east coast flights but it's so limited by accommodation


Exactly, there really isn’t much point adding more capacity to BME as there is no where to stay once the passengers arrive. The resorts and half-decent hotels are basically sold out for the next six months.
 
User avatar
Velocity7
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 9:42 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Exactly, there really isn’t much point adding more capacity to BME as there is no where to stay once the passengers arrive. The resorts and half-decent hotels are basically sold out for the next six months.


And I think this is one of challenges with travel in Australia at the moment - trying to get decent accommodation in places like Uluru, Broome, Whitsundays and some parts of Tasmania is nigh impossible to the point I've given up ticking off bucket list destinations like Uluru and Tassie this winter. Even half decent hotels/resorts from Cairns through to Port Douglas have been challenging :(
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 717
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Wed May 26, 2021 1:54 am

Velocity7 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Exactly, there really isn’t much point adding more capacity to BME as there is no where to stay once the passengers arrive. The resorts and half-decent hotels are basically sold out for the next six months.


And I think this is one of challenges with travel in Australia at the moment - trying to get decent accommodation in places like Uluru, Broome, Whitsundays and some parts of Tasmania is nigh impossible to the point I've given up ticking off bucket list destinations like Uluru and Tassie this winter. Even half decent hotels/resorts from Cairns through to Port Douglas have been challenging :(


We might see some cancellations from Victorians shortly.......
 
melpax
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2021

Wed May 26, 2021 6:53 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
We might see some cancellations from Victorians shortly.......


I'd say there would be cancellations already - SA has just closed their borders to travellers from Melbourne, and those from elsewhere in Victoria must get tested on arrival & isolate until they get a negative result. Would think WA can't be too far behind, sadly.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 57v45.html

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos