Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
capitalflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:27 pm

Wind has kicked up at DCA and IAD. IAD is doing the rare RWY 30 arrivals and DCA has seen several RWY 33 arrivals and departures.

ANA 9652 had to go around once at IAD and UA3905 is landing back at IAD after not being able to land at ROA due to winds.

Heavy wind extends from CLT thru DC, PHL, NYC, to BOS. No doubt this will be a messy day for delays and diversions plus some unusual traffic patterns. Post them here!
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:35 pm

It’s a windy day, big whoop. As a pilot, we’re trained to land on, guess what, windy days. Spring time brings windy days, which in the central plains of the US are called breezy days.
 
capitalflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:51 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s a windy day, big whoop. As a pilot, we’re trained to land on, guess what, windy days. Spring time brings windy days, which in the central plains of the US are called breezy days.


I am grateful that pilots are indeed excellently trained for adverse conditions like this. And I don't doubt that they will all handle the wind today with excellent skill and safety. But this is unusual, is affecting the busiest travel corridor in the country, and as I mentioned may result in diversions, etc. which will affect ops. IAD for example only is using Runway 30 which reduces arrival capacity greatly. I imagine once the PM banks arrive there will be delays at IAD.
 
capitalflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:58 pm

ENY4292 go around at DCA for wind shear.
 
ytib
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:22 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:01 pm

MESSAGE:
CTL ELEMENT: IAD
ELEMENT TYPE: APT
ADL TIME: 1738Z
DELAY ASSIGNMENT MODE: UDP
ARRIVALS ESTIMATED FOR: 30/1900Z - 30/2259Z
CUMULATIVE PROGRAM PERIOD: 30/1900Z - 30/2259Z
PROGRAM RATE: 32
FLT INCL: ALL CONTIGUOUS US DEP
DEP SCOPE: 800
CANADIAN DEP ARPTS INCLUDED: CYHZ CYOW CYUL CYYZ CYTZ CYQB
DELAY ASSIGNMENT TABLE APPLIES TO: ZDC
MAXIMUM DELAY: 222
AVERAGE DELAY: 111
IMPACTING CONDITION: WEATHER / WIND
COMMENTS: ARR/DEP 30. +45. MED POP.
EFFECTIVE TIME: 301738 - 302359
SIGNATURE: 21/04/30 17:40


IAD is the only airport impacted right now with a ground stop for inbounds.
 
ScottB
Posts: 7510
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:06 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
I am grateful that pilots are indeed excellently trained for adverse conditions like this. And I don't doubt that they will all handle the wind today with excellent skill and safety. But this is unusual, is affecting the busiest travel corridor in the country, and as I mentioned may result in diversions, etc. which will affect ops. IAD for example only is using Runway 30 which reduces arrival capacity greatly. I imagine once the PM banks arrive there will be delays at IAD.


FAA's Flight Delay site is only reporting an impact at IAD right now. Air traffic is still way, way down, so even though this is the busiest region in the U.S. for air travel, the impact seems to be muted.

It's probably rarer for it to not be windy at BOS.
 
capitalflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:14 pm

RPA 4889 at DCA go around for wind shear.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:18 pm

It’s not unusual for wind in the spring in Northeast. 48 years of flying, I and other pilots have seen many times. BTW, I’m riding in the back of an airline right now into KBDL, winds around 25 knots down 33. Clickbait
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:44 pm

It’s a bumpy day, for sure. As the master of 727, John McKiel used to FO, “keep a good grip on her”.
 
capitalflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:46 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
RPA 4889 at DCA go around for wind shear.


Go around again. Loss 30 knots wind shear. Both times they attempted Runway 1. First attempt pilot said they were "unable" 33 after a long pause. Not sure why. Do you have to be specifically certified to land 33?

Appears they have diverted to ORF, probably fuel.
 
orlandocfi
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:48 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s not unusual for wind in the spring in Northeast. 48 years of flying, I and other pilots have seen many times. BTW, I’m riding in the back of an airline right now into KBDL, winds around 25 knots down 33. Clickbait


Many of the people on this forum aren’t pilots so maybe you can bring the ego down a notch or two.

Winds are forecast to be gusting over 50 and that is *not* a walk in the park for even the most experienced pilots. While we can wrestle a plane to the runway in these winds, it usually turns out to be a nightmare for ops on the ground due to diversions, gate holds, can’t move the jetways, etc.
 
orlandocfi
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:51 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:
RPA 4889 at DCA go around for wind shear.


Go around again. Loss 30 knots wind shear. Both times they attempted Runway 1. First attempt pilot said they were "unable" 33 after a long pause. Not sure why. Do you have to be specifically certified to land 33?

Appears they have diverted to ORF, probably fuel.


They might be too heavy for 33 or the crosswind exceeds their limits. It is a rather short runway.
 
capitalflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:56 pm

Mods

Feel free to edit title if this remains a DC centric issue.
 
TMccrury
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:24 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:12 pm

I live near RIC and it has been really windy here today. My sister in law was on a UA flight home today and she messaged from IAD and said that the wind was terrible.
 
26point2
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:01 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:53 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s not unusual for wind in the spring in Northeast. 48 years of flying, I and other pilots have seen many times. BTW, I’m riding in the back of an airline right now into KBDL, winds around 25 knots down 33. Clickbait


Many of the people on this forum aren’t pilots so maybe you can bring the ego down a notch or two.

Winds are forecast to be gusting over 50 and that is *not* a walk in the park for even the most experienced pilots. While we can wrestle a plane to the runway in these winds, it usually turns out to be a nightmare for ops on the ground due to diversions, gate holds, can’t move the jetways, etc.


That’s nothing. Try riding your bicycle in that wind as I did today in PHL.
 
orlandocfi
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sat May 01, 2021 12:12 am

26point2 wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s not unusual for wind in the spring in Northeast. 48 years of flying, I and other pilots have seen many times. BTW, I’m riding in the back of an airline right now into KBDL, winds around 25 knots down 33. Clickbait


Many of the people on this forum aren’t pilots so maybe you can bring the ego down a notch or two.

Winds are forecast to be gusting over 50 and that is *not* a walk in the park for even the most experienced pilots. While we can wrestle a plane to the runway in these winds, it usually turns out to be a nightmare for ops on the ground due to diversions, gate holds, can’t move the jetways, etc.


That’s nothing. Try riding your bicycle in that wind as I did today in PHL.


That’s definitely a challenge. Our hats off to you, sir!
 
BENAir01
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sat May 01, 2021 12:23 am

Newark is landing runway 29. Again, nothing unusual or something pilots are lacking in skill to do, but still fun to see.
 
bigb
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sat May 01, 2021 12:27 am

I commuted through IAD today. My lax-IAD flight was bumpy on the way in, and we were delayed on the ground outbound on my 2nd flight out of IAD for like a hour. Indeed it was a bumpy day.
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 1605
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sat May 01, 2021 1:13 am

capitalflyer wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:
RPA 4889 at DCA go around for wind shear.


Go around again. Loss 30 knots wind shear. Both times they attempted Runway 1. First attempt pilot said they were "unable" 33 after a long pause. Not sure why. Do you have to be specifically certified to land 33?

Appears they have diverted to ORF, probably fuel.

Crosswind component and the shear amount is likely higher than company spec.
 
SkyLife
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:45 pm

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sat May 01, 2021 1:17 am

33 at my company is pilots discretion. It’s an approach to 1 and then a visual circling to 33. It’s a nice tool to use if the winds really favor it but the performance numbers must allow and pilots must be comfortable. Quite a few will only use 1/19.
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 6511
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sat May 01, 2021 2:19 am

BENAir01 wrote:
Newark is landing runway 29. Again, nothing unusual or something pilots are lacking in skill to do, but still fun to see.



My behind.

I did the ILS 22L circle to land 29 today with the wind 310/35.

It was quite the approach, quite the circle, and quite the landing.

Ill leave it to the Chuck Yeager posters above to talk about how “normal” today is.

But as a 17 year airline pilot, I can say those posters had better bring their A game when they are circling over a smoke stack in Jersey City at 500 feet with a 42 knot wind pushing them outward in the turn, moderate turbulence, and a short runway at 2 o’clock in the bank.

Not the place for an a windbag...that’s for sure. No pun intended with the “wind” reference. :)
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 4566
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sat May 01, 2021 2:07 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s a windy day, big whoop. As a pilot, we’re trained to land on, guess what, windy days. Spring time brings windy days, which in the central plains of the US are called breezy days.

Not really big whoop — IAD had a gust yesterday that hit 55kts. That's fairly significant no matter where you are. I also don't believe there are a whole bunch of major airports located in the central plains to be impacted by events like this.

Wind events may not always have a huge direct impact on the crews (i.e. your perspective), but there can be a significant impact from an air traffic perspective. When IAD is busy in the afternoons, typically there is an in-trail restriction for center feeding to approach of 10 miles in-trail. When ops are restricted to only Runway 30 (as often happens on wind event days), that in-trail jumps to 30MIT with a notice to expect holding. When ops are restricted to Runway 30 during an arrivals push, it's pretty much a guarantee that some flights will end up in Richmond or Norfolk. Those diversions cost thousands, delay passengers (and crew) for hours, and can be the difference between the airline making money on that flight and losing money. I would argue that is most certainly a big whoop for those people.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s not unusual for wind in the spring in Northeast. 48 years of flying, I and other pilots have seen many times. BTW, I’m riding in the back of an airline right now into KBDL, winds around 25 knots down 33. Clickbait

50kts plus is absolutely unusual, and the more extreme portions of the wind event was primarily focused in VA/MD. I would recommend doing a bit of research next time before being so dismissive. There was a severe thunderstorm warning in effect with little to no precip because of the high winds — that's very unusual.

NOAA wind gust reports
https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... hlight=off

"The narrow, but intense burst of winds that swept through the region between about 4 and 5:30 p.m. has exited to the east and weakened. It produced widespread gusts of 55 to 60 mph (Reagan National Airport clocked a 62 mph gust and Dulles 60 mph), with isolated higher readings, including a 71 mph gust in Charles Town, W. Va."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... by-sunday/
 
Shakinthefat
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 6:56 pm

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sat May 01, 2021 2:17 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
BENAir01 wrote:


I did the ILS 22L circle to land 29 today with the wind 310/35.

It was quite the approach, quite the circle, and quite the landing.

Ill leave it to the Chuck Yeager posters above to talk about how “normal” today is.

But as a 17 year airline pilot, I can say those posters had better bring their A game when they are circling over a smoke stack in Jersey City at 500 feet with a 42 knot wind pushing them outward in the turn, moderate turbulence, and a short runway at 2 o’clock in the bank.

Not the place for an a windbag...that’s for sure. No pun intended with the “wind” reference. :)


You know it gets boring on a 4 day trip with 10-12 approaches and landings in CAVU weather.....I look forward to challenges like stiff crosswinds
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sat May 01, 2021 2:23 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s a windy day, big whoop. As a pilot, we’re trained to land on, guess what, windy days. Spring time brings windy days, which in the central plains of the US are called breezy days.

Not really big whoop — IAD had a gust yesterday that hit 55kts. That's fairly significant no matter where you are. I also don't believe there are a whole bunch of major airports located in the central plains to be impacted by events like this.

Wind events may not always have a huge direct impact on the crews (i.e. your perspective), but there can be a significant impact from an air traffic perspective. When IAD is busy in the afternoons, typically there is an in-trail restriction for center feeding to approach of 10 miles in-trail. When ops are restricted to only Runway 30 (as often happens on wind event days), that in-trail jumps to 30MIT with a notice to expect holding. When ops are restricted to Runway 30 during an arrivals push, it's pretty much a guarantee that some flights will end up in Richmond or Norfolk. Those diversions cost thousands, delay passengers (and crew) for hours, and can be the difference between the airline making money on that flight and losing money. I would argue that is most certainly a big whoop for those people.


GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s not unusual for wind in the spring in Northeast. 48 years of flying, I and other pilots have seen many times. BTW, I’m riding in the back of an airline right now into KBDL, winds around 25 knots down 33. Clickbait

50kts plus is absolutely unusual, and the more extreme portions of the wind event was primarily focused in VA/MD. I would recommend doing a bit of research next time before being so dismissive. There was a severe thunderstorm warning in effect with little to no precip because of the high winds — that's very unusual.

NOAA wind gust reports
https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... hlight=off

"The narrow, but intense burst of winds that swept through the region between about 4 and 5:30 p.m. has exited to the east and weakened. It produced widespread gusts of 55 to 60 mph (Reagan National Airport clocked a 62 mph gust and Dulles 60 mph), with isolated higher readings, including a 71 mph gust in Charles Town, W. Va."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... by-sunday/



My apologies at all, didn’t see winds that strong where I was, but MD/VA did get some winds. I do get frustrated by threads that make operations seem like a spectator sport, second guessing decisions, operations.
 
User avatar
Acey559
Posts: 1468
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 pm

BENAir01 wrote:
Newark is landing runway 29. Again, nothing unusual or something pilots are lacking in skill to do, but still fun to see.


You’ll probably see this more often while runway work is being completed, albeit without the theatrics of high winds. We were issued a bulletin this week to remind us to consider using 11/29 if at all possible to help keep the operation going as smoothly as we can. So it should make for some interesting spotting through the summer out in EWR!
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 4566
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sat May 01, 2021 2:33 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
My apologies at all, didn’t see winds that strong where I was, but MD/VA did get some winds. I do get frustrated by threads that make operations seem like a spectator sport, second guessing decisions, operations.

You're right in that there are frequently threads here that are a bit overblown (no pun intended), but this one was pretty legit by any measure. The fact that it hit IAD right in the middle of the arrival bank — which has been just as busy as pre-covid — meant that the effects were certainly felt.
 
BENAir01
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sun May 02, 2021 4:10 pm

Acey559 wrote:
You’ll probably see this more often while runway work is being completed, albeit without the theatrics of high winds. We were issued a bulletin this week to remind us to consider using 11/29 if at all possible to help keep the operation going as smoothly as we can. So it should make for some interesting spotting through the summer out in EWR!

Huh, I didn't realize EWR was redoing a runway. Which one? And for how long will it be out of service?
 
User avatar
Acey559
Posts: 1468
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Sun May 02, 2021 8:10 pm

BENAir01 wrote:
Acey559 wrote:
You’ll probably see this more often while runway work is being completed, albeit without the theatrics of high winds. We were issued a bulletin this week to remind us to consider using 11/29 if at all possible to help keep the operation going as smoothly as we can. So it should make for some interesting spotting through the summer out in EWR!

Huh, I didn't realize EWR was redoing a runway. Which one? And for how long will it be out of service?


4R/22L is out of commission now through I think September. I don’t have the bulletin in front of me but I think that’s correct. And the of course that assumes if finishes on time.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10681
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Mon May 03, 2021 12:48 am

capitalflyer wrote:
. First attempt pilot said they were "unable" 33 after a long pause. Not sure why. Do you have to be specifically certified to land 33?


You may know this already, but "Unable" means "I'm not going to do it."

It doesn't mean, "I'm not certified to do it" or that it's physically-impossible to do it.

They could be unable due to company ops specs limits on crosswinds or a million other reasons, or because they don't think it's adviseable for what ever reason that they choose to think so.
 
leader1
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:44 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Mon May 03, 2021 2:26 am

BENAir01 wrote:
Acey559 wrote:
You’ll probably see this more often while runway work is being completed, albeit without the theatrics of high winds. We were issued a bulletin this week to remind us to consider using 11/29 if at all possible to help keep the operation going as smoothly as we can. So it should make for some interesting spotting through the summer out in EWR!

Huh, I didn't realize EWR was redoing a runway. Which one? And for how long will it be out of service?


Yes. Work started a few weeks ago. The runway will be closed from July-October.
 
capitalflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

Re: East Coast Wind Warnings/Advisories - Diversions, Effects, etc.

Mon May 03, 2021 7:19 pm

SkyLife wrote:
33 at my company is pilots discretion. It’s an approach to 1 and then a visual circling to 33. It’s a nice tool to use if the winds really favor it but the performance numbers must allow and pilots must be comfortable. Quite a few will only use 1/19.


Interesting, thanks for the perspective. I believe there were other YX flights that used 33. From what I could see on FR24 it appeared a some of flights were on a straight in approach for 33 from before the Wilson bridge. Perhaps they heard reports from their early arriving colleagues and requested a 33 approach from Potomac? I have actually seen both A319 and 737 use 33 on windy days. But it makes sense that the preference would be 1/19. And those living in SE DC and PG County thank you for not flying over their houses unless necessary!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos