Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DTWLAX
Topic Author

Luggage drops from open compartment mid-flight

Mon May 03, 2021 6:24 pm

This is bizzare...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/report-airpl ... 00623.html

I wonder if somebody on the ground saw bags falling from the sky.

alasizon

Re: Luggage drops from open compartment mid-flight

Mon May 03, 2021 6:32 pm

It was only one bag that was missing so unless they were looking for it, they likely wouldn't notice. Max altitude was 5,800 feet and assuming it didn't fall directly over Scranton proper, it likely is in a field.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SKW ... /KAVP/KORD
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

airportugal310

Mon May 03, 2021 6:51 pm

Have heard of this happening (or nearly happening) on certain twin's with wing lockers and nose door compartments...like a Cessna 402 and the like. On a commercial jet? New one to me...usually a few pretty good safeguards. Guess anything is possible
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

MO11

Mon May 03, 2021 7:27 pm

The casket that fell out of the AA DC-10 was too long ago?

2eng2efficient

Mon May 03, 2021 7:30 pm

This is definitely a bizarre case. I worked the CRJ family on the ramp for a couple years and it strikes me as hard to believe that the crew wouldn’t have had a door warning prior to takeoff if the door was indeed not shut properly. Conversely, once that door is shut, the physical movement required to open it (a push/pull/twist/lift motion) is very intentional, I cannot see how it would have opened on its own in flight.

rampbro

Mon May 03, 2021 7:33 pm

2eng2efficient wrote:
This is definitely a bizarre case. I worked the CRJ family on the ramp for a couple years and it strikes me as hard to believe that the crew wouldn’t have had a door warning prior to takeoff if the door was indeed not shut properly. Conversely, once that door is shut, the physical movement required to open it (a push/pull/twist/lift motion) is very intentional, I cannot see how it would have opened on its own in flight.

Stuff breaks, including doors and sensors. People get lazy. Eventually all three will happen on the same airplane at the same time.

JohanTally

Mon May 03, 2021 8:02 pm

rampbro wrote:
2eng2efficient wrote:

Stuff breaks, including doors and sensors. People get lazy. Eventually all three will happen on the same airplane at the same time.

If the cargo nets were properly installed I don't see how a bag would of been able to fall out unless the bag was extremely small and light that flew around the narrow gap between door frame and net. Obviously I have seen cargo nets with broken snaps as well as nets being installed as they should.

2eng2efficient

Mon May 03, 2021 9:01 pm

rampbro wrote:
2eng2efficient wrote:

True, I guess that is the “Swiss cheese” model. This incident was the product of multiple unusual mechanical failures and/or human negligence.

IAHFLYR

Mon May 03, 2021 9:49 pm

Very bizarre alright, yet another excellent reason to NOT check luggage!! :duck: :)
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Cubsrule

Mon May 03, 2021 9:51 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:
Very bizarre alright, yet another excellent reason to NOT check luggage!! :duck: :)

The CR7 only has one bin, no? If so, this could well have been a gate checked bag.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

tcfc424

Mon May 03, 2021 10:21 pm

The CRJ-700 has 2 luggage compartments, one in the rear and one under the fuselage for gate check bags. I worked these aircraft and I honestly can't imagine how this happened.

JohanTally

Mon May 03, 2021 10:23 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:

The CR7 only has one bin, no? If so, this could well have been a gate checked bag.

The CR7 has two bins, the forward bin is underneath the passenger cabin in front of the wings utilized for carry-ons typically and the aft cargo hold which is behind the passenger cabin and holds most checked bags, cargo and other bulky items.

Cubsrule

Mon May 03, 2021 10:43 pm

JohanTally wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:

The CR7 has two bins, the forward bin is underneath the passenger cabin in front of the wings utilized for carry-ons typically and the aft cargo hold which is behind the passenger cabin and holds most checked bags, cargo and other bulky items.

Thanks. I knew the bin configuration of the CR2 and CR9 and couldn’t remember where on that “continuum” the CR7 was.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Q

Mon May 03, 2021 10:49 pm

I guess the airline has to pay per passenger who lost luggage to get $1,000 by insurance.

Q

alasizon

Mon May 03, 2021 10:56 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:

Likely would have been a valet bag since it was the open belly bin.

Q wrote:
I guess the airline has to pay per passenger who lost luggage to get $1,000 by insurance.

Q

AA domestic liability is $3800 per bag.

IAHFLYR

Mon May 03, 2021 11:14 pm

alasizon wrote:

Guys I've not been on a CRJ7 in soooo long since 175's showed up, but I do believe the starboard overhead in FC fit my legal size Travel Pro.....regardless "lighten up Francis", it was supposed to be a funny. WOW tough crowd today for sure.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

SuseJ772

Mon May 03, 2021 11:42 pm

Am I the only one who doesn’t understand how it was just one bag? That’s the weirdest part of all to me. I get things fail and odd things happen. But I think once it’d break, either all or none of them would fall out
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

alasizon

Mon May 03, 2021 11:58 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn’t understand how it was just one bag? That’s the weirdest part of all to me. I get things fail and odd things happen. But I think once it’d break, either all or none of them would fall out

If the netting was only partially secured and not clipped on one of the anchors on the bottom, its possible a flatter/smaller bag could have fallen out while the remainder of the suitcases would have stayed inside.

DTWLAX
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2021 12:51 am

IAHFLYR wrote:

This was not checked luggage. Since the passenger could not locate the bag on returning to Scranton and before being put on another aircraft, this was a gate/valet checked bag... the ones that don't fit on the overhead bins on the CRJs. You usually drop and collect these bags in the jetway.
So maybe an excellent reason to not fly CRJs :-)

RJNUT

Tue May 04, 2021 1:21 am

we had the door on a Jetstream 31 's underbelly pod open up and dump carry-ons all over the the Arkansas countryside back in the 80's!

Chemist

Tue May 04, 2021 1:31 am

American Airlines' new "Gate Checked Baggage Ejection System"!

jetmatt777

Tue May 04, 2021 1:51 am

I didn't personally see it, but I remember we had a CRJ flight come back to the gate years ago where the rear cargo door popped open during taxi. The right combination of a worn out door latch, hitting the right expansion joint at just the right speed. I am not sure I can visualize how it can happen with that door mechanism as it can be hard to open on its own sometimes. But strange things happen. After millions of flights you eventually get the right set of circumstances to line up for a particular design to "fail".

maps4ltd

Tue May 04, 2021 2:09 am

2eng2efficient wrote:
rampbro wrote:
2eng2efficient wrote:

True, I guess that is the “Swiss cheese” model. This incident was the product of multiple unusual mechanical failures and/or human negligence.

Murphy's Law.
All opinions expressed herein are mine and do not represent the views of Cape Air

hivue

Tue May 04, 2021 2:20 am

So we have two common events. AA reported an airplane returned to the airport for an unspecified mechanical issue. A pax is missing a piece of luggage. That's it? Coincidence is not always causation.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

AvNerd

Tue May 04, 2021 2:50 am

maps4ltd wrote:
2eng2efficient wrote:
rampbro wrote:

Murphy's Law.

Lest we all forget this actually happened to a 747 over 30 years ago over the Pacific Ocean. The C clamps on the forward cargo door over time warped/bent and did not engage but still showed flag as secured. One day the perfect confluence of events came together as UA811's forward cargo door opened in flight and ripped the skin up to the second deck causing the deaths of 9 people that night. To quote a bad 90's volcano movie there is no history of anything until it happens.
Welcome aboard and remember, we're not happy until you're not happy.

cf6ppe

Tue May 04, 2021 5:56 am

EAL dropped about a half dozen bags out of a D9-30 departing (IIRC) Evansville thirty five or so years ago. As I remember departing bags were observed falling into a field near airport. I don’t remember any other details. There was a lot of speculation if anyone was embarrassed when bags were retrieved.

DaCubbyBearBar

Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 am

I would have thought that this was an April Fool’s joke, WOW!!! Glad no one on the ground got hit.... yikes
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

Viajero

Tue May 04, 2021 10:51 pm

RJNUT wrote:
we had the door on a Jetstream 31 's underbelly pod open up and dump carry-ons all over the the Arkansas countryside back in the 80's!

Funny that! We had the same problem on a Chapparal J31 out of DFW in 1990. Dumped the luggage into Lake Grapevine.

Weatherwatcher1

Wed May 05, 2021 2:46 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
I would have thought that this was an April Fool’s joke, WOW!!! Glad no one on the ground got hit.... yikes

Yes unusual, but not as bad as what happened to DHL on one of their 757 freighter conversions with the main cargo door opening in flight

https://simpleflying.com/dhl-757-door-open/

ILNFlyer

Wed May 05, 2021 3:09 pm

alasizon wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:

Q wrote:

Q

AA domestic liability is $3800 per bag.

That's like finding a bag of cash by the side of the road.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos