Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

8herveg
Topic Author

How do Jet2 operate their scheduled vs charter operations/aircraft?

Mon May 03, 2021 9:58 pm

I wondered how Jet2 operate their scheduled vs charter operations?

What’s the percentage split between scheduled vs charter?

Are the grey and red Jet2.com aircraft the scheduled flights and the jet2holidays ones the charter?

Do the scheduled flights tend to use steps at both ends of the aircraft and the charter ones use air bridges?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

jmc757

Re: How do Jet2 operate their scheduled vs charter operations/aircraft?

Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 pm

All regular Jet2 flights are scheduled. Jet2Holidays seats are sold on the scheduled Jet2 flights. Over the years the group has become far more focussed on the Holidays side of the business as it has grown, and the airline’s schedule is largely dictated by this. It’s become a lot like TUI, the airline arm of a vertically integrated package company.

Take for example the recently announced BHX-AMS and BHX-CDG routes. Both routes just twice weekly, AMS on Fridays/Mondays, CDG on Thursdays/Sundays. Clearly based around the leisure market and packages available via Jet2Holidays (although they’ll likely do well on seat only sales too)

Think of it as package/seat only sales rather than charter/scheduled flights. I’m not sure if Jet2 publicise the split of package/seat only sales, perhaps in their annual report. Different routes will have different splits and dominance.

The two colour schemes are interchangeable and aircraft are not picked for certain rotations just because of the colour scheme.

Likewise the use of air bridges/steps will be based on stand availability, equipment availability, contracts with airports/handlers etc.

Jet2 like all airlines do operate one off proper charters such as sports teams, tour groups, niche tour operators, but these are small in number.

Vasu

Mon May 03, 2021 11:06 pm

I’m not sure there are really many “holiday charters” left in the U.K. market these days... I remember when the likes of Monarch used to have ZB-coded scheduled flights and MON-coded charter flights but these days the vast majority of U.K. holiday flying is scheduled. The exceptions (I think?) are the smaller charter operations such as Enter Air and BH Air, which only sell seats through tour operators.

jmc757

Mon May 03, 2021 11:17 pm

Vasu wrote:
I’m not sure there are really many “holiday charters” left in the U.K. market these days... I remember when the likes of Monarch used to have ZB-coded scheduled flights and MON-coded charter flights but these days the vast majority of U.K. holiday flying is scheduled. The exceptions (I think?) are the smaller charter operations such as Enter Air and BH Air, which only sell seats through tour operators.

Not many charters because there aren’t many independent Tour Operators left that need to charter seats/flights. Most small tour operators ended up being swallowed by the bigger ones or going out of business. The market has changed too with online travel agents, who just dynamically create a package by combining low cost scheduled flights with an accommodation booking. Even the niche tour operators that are left often use easyJet/Ryanair/Jet2 seats rather than charter their own.

As you say there are still a very small number of proper charter flights which often see Eastern European operators, Titan still do a few but it seems to be shrinking even for them. Newmarket Holidays are one tour op that spring to mind.

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2021 7:07 am

jmc757 wrote:
All regular Jet2 flights are scheduled. Jet2Holidays seats are sold on the scheduled Jet2 flights. Over the years the group has become far more focussed on the Holidays side of the business as it has grown, and the airline’s schedule is largely dictated by this. It’s become a lot like TUI, the airline arm of a vertically integrated package company.

Take for example the recently announced BHX-AMS and BHX-CDG routes. Both routes just twice weekly, AMS on Fridays/Mondays, CDG on Thursdays/Sundays. Clearly based around the leisure market and packages available via Jet2Holidays (although they’ll likely do well on seat only sales too)

Think of it as package/seat only sales rather than charter/scheduled flights. I’m not sure if Jet2 publicise the split of package/seat only sales, perhaps in their annual report. Different routes will have different splits and dominance.

The two colour schemes are interchangeable and aircraft are not picked for certain rotations just because of the colour scheme.

Likewise the use of air bridges/steps will be based on stand availability, equipment availability, contracts with airports/handlers etc.

Jet2 like all airlines do operate one off proper charters such as sports teams, tour groups, niche tour operators, but these are small in number.

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Really helpful.

So when they refer to themselves as a “charter” airline too, I’m guessing they’re referring to their one off charters for football teams etc. as you say.

Secondly, take the new BHX-AMS and BHX-CDG routes...they’re obviously targeting leisure pax wanting to take weekend city breaks, but would they not make more money/is there not enough demand if they were to operate the route for business pax too whereby they operate 2 x daily? And this would provide more flexibility for leisure pax too...?!

Thirdly, why do Jet2 have two different paint schemes for their aircraft? Is it essentially to show the two different models of the business? Wouldn’t consistency be better for their brand here and just have one scheme?

Lastly, as Jet2 is a low-cost airline, is it not better for them NOT to use jet bridges? What’s their turnaround time? Is it not quicker to use steps at both ends? How do they decide which flights do use jet bridges and which don’t? I notice at BHX they do both, so just curious.

Thanks!

jomur

Tue May 04, 2021 8:27 am

8herveg wrote:
jmc757 wrote:

So when they refer to themselves as a “charter” airline too, I’m guessing they’re referring to their one off charters for football teams etc. as you say.

Secondly, take the new BHX-AMS and BHX-CDG routes...they’re obviously targeting leisure pax wanting to take weekend city breaks, but would they not make more money/is there not enough demand if they were to operate the route for business pax too whereby they operate 2 x daily? And this would provide more flexibility for leisure pax too...?!

Thirdly, why do Jet2 have two different paint schemes for their aircraft? Is it essentially to show the two different models of the business? Wouldn’t consistency be better for their brand here and just have one scheme?

Lastly, as Jet2 is a low-cost airline, is it not better for them NOT to use jet bridges? What’s their turnaround time? Is it not quicker to use steps at both ends? How do they decide which flights do use jet bridges and which don’t? I notice at BHX they do both, so just curious.

Thanks!

I would not call Jet2 a low cost airline in the same way as Ryanair or Wizz. They aim for a completely different market. In the UK there is nothing worse than having to go outside to board an aircraft when its chucking it down with rain, blowing in a gale or just down right cold. Jet2 customers prefer air bridges and the way Jet2 works works for them and they have many many repeat satisfied customers.

As to flying twice daily to AMS Jet2 make more money flying elsewhere for the days they currently don't fly otherwise they would already be flying twice daily.

armadillomaster

Tue May 04, 2021 9:06 am

8herveg wrote:
jmc757 wrote:

Thanks!

The schemes are free marketing for them. And as one of the most successful airlines in the UK who are we to judge?

jmc757

Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 am

8herveg wrote:
jmc757 wrote:

Thanks!

Do they refer to themselves as a charter airline?

Jet2 started in 2002 as a new low-cost passenger airline based out of Leeds. It was started by Channel Express, a mainly freight airline who’d been operating for many years and had 737QC aircraft. This was at a time when everyone was setting up new low cost airlines: Go/Buzz/bmibaby/MyTravelLite/Thomsonfly etc

The first route was Leeds-Amsterdam, and back then the airline had a good mix of city and leisure destinations, the early bases had a lot more city destinations than today. They started pairing hotel bookings with their flights and this became the “Holidays” brand. Over the years the package side grew well, and the focus of the business definitely shifted towards Jet2Holidays. Some of it was right place right time, a few big competitors went out of business along the way (XL, Monarch, Thomas Cook etc) meaning Jet2 could take advantage and grow. They’d already become the UK’s second biggest package operator ahead of Thomas Cook before TCX folded.

You only need to look at the opening of more recent bases like BHX, STN and BRS... pretty much all holiday destinations on launch. They will operate to cities (BUD/PRG/AMS/CDG) but it’s still usually leisure focussed rather than a full on timetable. Like BHX-AMS/CDG... the routes already have KLM/AirFrance operating multi daily frequencies with connecting pax and varying aircraft types to suit demand. Jet2 seem to want to stick to their leisure core, rather than get into competition with established carriers or create fare wars with other locos.

The “Holidays” livery had an interesting start. In 2011 Jet2 leased a couple of 757s from Allegiant. The aircraft hadn’t yet entered service with Allegiant, but had already been painted. So Jet2 just added “Jet2Holidays” decals, and the existing sunshine tail fitted well. The scheme was apparently very popular and Jet2 came to an arrangement with Allegiant that they could use a similar scheme more permanently.

Jet2 have tweaked the sunshine scheme over the years, but still take deliveries of new aircraft in both schemes so they seem happy with having 2 colour schemes.

Airbridges depends on many things, and will vary from airport to airport and airline to airline. In the UK at least it can often depend what contract an airline has with the airport and its handling agents. They might have a contract for all air bridges gates, or a certain percentage of air bridge gates. But at an airport like BHX where Jet2 have a big base, and the airport has a limited number of airbridge gates it’s likely down to tactical stand availability more than anything else. With Jet2 self-handling I’m sure they will liaise with the airport and maybe give preferences for which flights but it’s unlikely there’s anything too formal.

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2021 9:57 am

Thank you JMC757.

It says on the Jet2 Wikipedia page that they’re both a scheduled and charter airline, but I appreciate it’s Wikipedia! I also just made the assumption that they were a charter airline because of their package holiday arm, but you’ve explained that so thank you.

Do you know what their turnaround times are though?

jmc757

Tue May 04, 2021 10:45 am

8herveg wrote:
Thank you JMC757.

It says on the Jet2 Wikipedia page that they’re both a scheduled and charter airline, but I appreciate it’s Wikipedia! I also just made the assumption that they were a charter airline because of their package holiday arm, but you’ve explained that so thank you.

Do you know what their turnaround times are though?

As you say, it is Wikipedia! The lines have become blurred between the traditional charter and scheduled operations of the past. The Jet2 plc website says the following:

Welcome to Jet2 plc
Jet2 plc is a Leisure Travel group
Previously known as Dart Group plc, Jet2 plc is the home of Jet2holidays – the UK’s leading operator of ATOL-protected package holidays to destinations across the Mediterranean, Canary Islands and European Leisure Cities – and Jet2.com, our award-winning leisure airline.

We’re proud of our Real Package Holidays™ and Friendly Low Fares, but don’t just take our word for it. Customers love our famous service so much, we’re a Which? Recommended Provider and Tripadvisor’s Best Airline – UK.

Turnaround times tend to be around an hour downroute. Some destinations it might be timetabled for less (45-50mins) but in practice the aircraft will have an hour or more on the ground as the timetabled flight times are padded to allow for this. UK turnarounds are similar, around an hour or maybe a little more. Obviously at the UK base, with most flights operating in waves they have the flexibility to change aircraft over if delays or problems occur.

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2021 11:22 am

Ah ok, thanks. So again, a very different operation to EasyJet, Ryanair etc. whose turnaround times are 25 minutes. Guess that’s another reason Jet2 can use jet bridges as they have more time to de-board passengers.

BrianDromey

Tue May 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Jet2 do "pure" charter, they have operated Neilson flights to ski destinations, for example. These were not available to purchase online, only via Neilson. Thomas Cook were the primary supplier to Neilson until their demise.

The business model is totally different to the European LCCs or Traditional airlines. They have taken aspects from the traditional "Charter Airline" like TUI, Thomas Cook and Monarch and also the LCCs like Ryanair and easyJet. They have a cost base that allows them to go to-to-toe with the LCCs yet a customer service philosophy that allows them to compete with the package holiday operators.

As airlines refocus their networks on leisure travel over the coming seasons it will be interesting to watch how Jet2 respond. but even the big airlines like easyJet and BA don't have the customer service teams on the ground in resorts that jet2 have invested in, so they will be hard to compete with in the "real package holiday" market.

Boeing74741R

Tue May 04, 2021 3:39 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
The business model is totally different to the European LCCs or Traditional airlines. They have taken aspects from the traditional "Charter Airline" like TUI, Thomas Cook and Monarch and also the LCCs like Ryanair and easyJet. They have a cost base that allows them to go to-to-toe with the LCCs yet a customer service philosophy that allows them to compete with the package holiday operators.

As airlines refocus their networks on leisure travel over the coming seasons it will be interesting to watch how Jet2 respond. but even the big airlines like easyJet and BA don't have the customer service teams on the ground in resorts that jet2 have invested in, so they will be hard to compete with in the "real package holiday" market.

This is pretty much how I see it.

Jet2 started life as a LCC, but as Jet2Holidays has grown and become very successful the route network and focus is easy to work out. It also probably explains why you don't see Jet2 operate UK domestic flights anymore (I seem to recall flights to BFS, LGW and JER from other UK airports) or don't operate to as many traditional city destinations as heavily as others such as easyJet. When they opened up at BHX and STN a few years ago, the portfolio of routes on offer at launch was a clear indicator that it was geared towards the Holidays side. They also have a good track record when it comes to making smart, prudent decisions, from fleet acquisitions to entering new markets.

I also think despite Jet2Holidays, Jet2 are distinct enough to be different from TUI, who are arguably the only other holiday outfit remaining in the UK with scale and its own airline. I'm not sure how big easyJet Holidays are after they came into the market a few years ago and the likes of Virgin Holidays don't compete in the same market as Jet2Holidays.

Finally, I would say that one advantage Jet2 has which probably saddled the likes of those that are defunct is that being a young company they don't have the same amount of overheads and legacy liabilities.

8herveg wrote:
Ah ok, thanks. So again, a very different operation to EasyJet, Ryanair etc. whose turnaround times are 25 minutes. Guess that’s another reason Jet2 can use jet bridges as they have more time to de-board passengers.

Airbridges don't always get used at airports that have them, even at places such as MAN.

pdp

Tue May 04, 2021 8:37 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

Jet2 started life as a LCC, but as Jet2Holidays has grown and become very successful the route network and focus is easy to work out. It also probably explains why you don't see Jet2 operate UK domestic flights anymore (I seem to recall flights to BFS, LGW and JER from other UK airports) or don't operate to as many traditional city destinations as heavily as others such as easyJet. When they opened up at BHX and STN a few years ago, the portfolio of routes on offer at launch was a clear indicator that it was geared towards the Holidays side. They also have a good track record when it comes to making smart, prudent decisions, from fleet acquisitions to entering new markets.

I also think despite Jet2Holidays, Jet2 are distinct enough to be different from TUI, who are arguably the only other holiday outfit remaining in the UK with scale and its own airline. I'm not sure how big easyJet Holidays are after they came into the market a few years ago and the likes of Virgin Holidays don't compete in the same market as Jet2Holidays.

Finally, I would say that one advantage Jet2 has which probably saddled the likes of those that are defunct is that being a young company they don't have the same amount of overheads and legacy liabilities.

8herveg wrote:

Airbridges don't always get used at airports that have them, even at places such as MAN.

Jet2 are now *much* larger than TUI UK. The former has nigh on 100 aircraft whilst the latter 35-40 frames.

Also Jet2 do use jet bridges quite frequently at places like BHX, but when they do they also board via airstairs for the back half of the aircraft.

Ryga

Wed May 05, 2021 6:39 am

pdp wrote:
Boeing74741R wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

8herveg wrote:

Jet2 are now *much* larger than TUI UK. The former has nigh on 100 aircraft whilst the latter 35-40 frames.

Also Jet2 do use jet bridges quite frequently at places like BHX, but when they do they also board via airstairs for the back half of the aircraft.

Fleet doesn’t particularly mean an Airline is “larger” if they can’t carry the same amount of passengers…

TUI U.K. actually have about 60 aircraft, (with more being delivered) and as a whole they have over 130 aircraft. However they are also permitted to carry a significantly higher amount of passengers than Jet2 - and are in no way bigger than TUI.
AA AM BA BM BY DP DY EK MH PG RJ TK U2 VS Y2 ZB Z2 5J 9W

738 752 762ER/3ER 77W 788/9
A319/20/21 A332/3
E190
ATR 72-600
Jetstream 32
CRJ200ER

jrfspa320

Wed May 05, 2021 6:58 am

Im guessing the 737-800s will be used during 2021? Will the 737-300, 757s and A321s be removed from the fleet?

armadillomaster

Wed May 05, 2021 7:55 am

Ryga wrote:
pdp wrote:
Boeing74741R wrote:

Fleet doesn’t particularly mean an Airline is “larger” if they can’t carry the same amount of passengers…

TUI U.K. actually have about 60 aircraft, (with more being delivered) and as a whole they have over 130 aircraft. However they are also permitted to carry a significantly higher amount of passengers than Jet2 - and are in no way bigger than TUI.

I think bigger would mean more profitable and more trusted. Jet 2 are both of those over TUI

Ryga

Wed May 05, 2021 8:56 am

armadillomaster wrote:
Ryga wrote:
pdp wrote:

I think bigger would mean more profitable and more trusted. Jet 2 are both of those over TUI

Trust would be an opinion - Personally I wouldn’t touch Jet2.

As for profit, I think you need to do more research. Prior to COVID Jet2 made profits of between £265-270 million, whereas TUI made €900 million.

A319/20/21 A332/3
E190
ATR 72-600
Jetstream 32
CRJ200ER

armadillomaster

Wed May 05, 2021 9:03 am

Ryga wrote:
armadillomaster wrote:
Ryga wrote:

As for profit, I think you need to do more research.

That's nice for you :)

Boeing74741R

Wed May 05, 2021 12:07 pm

jrfspa320 wrote:
Im guessing the 737-800s will be used during 2021? Will the 737-300, 757s and A321s be removed from the fleet?

I can't see the A321's being ditched. It would seen Jet2 have settled on that as a long-term 757 replacement. If it wasn't for COVID, there would have been seven A321's in the fleet by now.

As for the 733's and 757's, it's anyone's guess at this time, though I'd have thought the 733's are vulnerable due to their age.

Ryga wrote:
As for profit, I think you need to do more research. Prior to COVID Jet2 made profits of between £265-270 million, whereas TUI made €900 million.

How much of TUI's profit that you stated is attributable to its UK operations?

armadillomaster

Wed May 05, 2021 12:15 pm

Ryga wrote:
armadillomaster wrote:
Ryga wrote:

Have you ever flown with them or used them? If not then you don't really have much to go on....

IrishLessor

Wed May 05, 2021 12:47 pm

I think charters are mostly winter and alot on ski and Lapland at Christmas when there is excess capacity.

JannEejit

Wed May 05, 2021 1:32 pm

jmc757 wrote:
The “Holidays” livery had an interesting start. In 2011 Jet2 leased a couple of 757s from Allegiant. The aircraft hadn’t yet entered service with Allegiant, but had already been painted. So Jet2 just added “Jet2Holidays” decals, and the existing sunshine tail fitted well. The scheme was apparently very popular and Jet2 came to an arrangement with Allegiant that they could use a similar scheme more permanently.

Jet2 have tweaked the sunshine scheme over the years, but still take deliveries of new aircraft in both schemes so they seem happy with having 2 colour schemes.

That's right and the Allegiant bound 757's were ex Britannia/Thomson IIRC ? An unusual example of two separate and unconnected airlines sharing a same basic livery. The only other case I can think of was when Continental passed on a couple of Viscounts in Golden Jet era scheme to the UK airline Channel Airways, who adopted the baseline colour scheme as their own too.

Ryga

Wed May 05, 2021 1:49 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
Ryga wrote:

I couldn’t tell you as the companies results are all presented together (and have been since the complete merger in 2014), rather than separately. However it’s sensible to assume that seeing as TUI U.K. is the largest division in TUI AG that the majority of income is from the U.K.

armadillomaster wrote:
Ryga wrote:

Have you ever flown with them or used them? If not then you don't really have much to go on....

That’s a preference though isn’t it? I wouldn’t fly Ryanair either and I’ve never flown with them. So I wouldn’t fly with the Ryanair of Tour Operators either..

A319/20/21 A332/3
E190
ATR 72-600
Jetstream 32
CRJ200ER

jomur

Wed May 05, 2021 1:52 pm

Ryga wrote:
armadillomaster wrote:
Ryga wrote:

People trust Jet2 much much more than they do TUI. Try speaking to custo.ers of both. Jet2and TUI have different markets, Tui does a fair bit of long haul flying on wide bodies hence why they can carry more passengers whereas Jet2 is predominantly short haul to Europe.

Ryga

Wed May 05, 2021 1:56 pm

jomur wrote:
Ryga wrote:
armadillomaster wrote:

People trust Jet2 much much more than they do TUI. Try speaking to custo.ers of both. Jet2and TUI have different markets, Tui does a fair bit of long haul flying on wide bodies hence why they can carry more passengers whereas Jet2 is predominantly short haul to Europe.

So exactly, it’s opinion based.

A319/20/21 A332/3
E190
ATR 72-600
Jetstream 32
CRJ200ER

Wallsendmag

Wed May 05, 2021 6:26 pm

Ryga wrote:
Boeing74741R wrote:
Ryga wrote:

I couldn’t tell you as the companies results are all presented together (and have been since the complete merger in 2014), rather than separately. However it’s sensible to assume that seeing as TUI U.K. is the largest division in TUI AG that the majority of income is from the U.K.

armadillomaster wrote:
Ryga wrote:

That’s a preference though isn’t it? I wouldn’t fly Ryanair either and I’ve never flown with them. So I wouldn’t fly with the Ryanair of Tour Operators either..

We’ve been on holiday with them over a dozen times far better than other UK operators and we’ve flown with all the majors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos