Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

9Patch

Re: Baby born on SLC-HNL by mother who didn't know she was pregnant

Wed May 05, 2021 8:37 pm

afterburner wrote:
CanukinUSA wrote:
My question is? If the baby was born when the aircraft was in International Airspace (i.e. greater then 12 miles off the coast of the US), what citizenship does he/she have?
Is it United States because of the parents citizenship or the aircraft registration country of the aircraft?

Not every country in the world give its citizenship to people who are born on its soil. Almost certainly the baby has citizenship(s) of at least one of his/her parents.

My passport says, Place of Birth: Pennsylvania USA
What will the baby's say?

Boeing757100

Wed May 05, 2021 9:03 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
mxaxai wrote:
How do you end up 7 months pregnant without noticing?

Usually it's a combo of obesity + lack of routine feminine medical care.

Wouldn't you still feel the kicking and all the movement from the baby in the womb?

CanukinUSA

Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 pm

Looking at the Jones Act I cannot see how that is applicable to Aircraft. If an aircraft is in International Airspace the applicable laws are from the International Convention on Civil Aviation (using Annexes from the International Civil Aviation Organization as stated in 14 CFR Part 91.703). I am looking at the Convention to see if I can find anything about this issue and the captain's rights. If the parents are US Citizens, it appears obvious that the child would eventually be America if not from birth but for non-US Citizen parents it does not seem to be clear. It is not clear whether the aircraft would be considered US soil in International Airspace if it is registered in the US. I wonder if Delta shares and operates aircraft that are not US registered with other airlines in their airline groups? If that's the case it really becomes unclear.

atcsundevil

Wed May 05, 2021 9:17 pm

Just a reminder that this is an aviation forum, not a medical forum. Please keep the posts primarily based on the aviation aspect of this story.

✈️ atcsundevil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos