Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smokeybandit
Topic Author

Baby born on SLC-HNL by mother who didn't know she was pregnant

Tue May 04, 2021 4:28 pm

Happy vacation! No flight listed, but I assume there aren't any direct options on that route other than DL

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-tr ... 750c5d4756

sunking737

Re: Baby born on SLC-HNL by mother who didn't know she was pregnant

Tue May 04, 2021 5:22 pm

IIRC she was 28 weeks, 7 months along

avi8

Tue May 04, 2021 5:27 pm

sunking737 wrote:

I’m amazed the baby was able to survive for 3 more hours after being born in an airplane. Fantastic work and amazing job by the doctor and nurses.

chunhimlai

Tue May 04, 2021 5:29 pm

So where did the bady born in record?

redzeppelin

Tue May 04, 2021 6:26 pm

From the local press in SLC:
https://www.ksl.com/article/50158611/ut ... s-pregnant
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-new ... -to-hawaii

FWIW, the images in the article clearly show a Delta A330 cabin.

flight152

Tue May 04, 2021 6:34 pm

avi8 wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

I’m amazed the baby was able to survive for 3 more hours after being born in an airplane. Fantastic work and amazing job by the doctor and nurses.

Why? There was a time before hospitals existed and somehow the species was able to make it.

BlueberryWheats

Tue May 04, 2021 6:36 pm

flight152 wrote:
avi8 wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

Why? There was a time before hospitals existed and somehow the species was able to make it.

But in days of yore, how many kids born at 7 months survived?

MIflyer12

Tue May 04, 2021 6:51 pm

flight152 wrote:
avi8 wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

Maternal mortality and still births were vastly higher even less than 100 years ago.

The decline in maternal mortality rates was so dramatic that current rates for developed countries are between one-fortieth and one-fiftieth of the rates that prevailed 60 y ago.

See Loudon, Irvine, 2000.

It's like saying 'What's so special about the Space Shuttle? The Wright brothers flew eighty years earlier.'

mxaxai

Tue May 04, 2021 7:21 pm

How do you end up 7 months pregnant without noticing?

LAX772LR

Tue May 04, 2021 7:24 pm

flight152 wrote:
avi8 wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

Yeahhhh, but the (should be obvious) response is: how many of those were preemies--- with the answer being: few.

mxaxai wrote:

Usually it's a combo of obesity + lack of routine feminine medical care.

Vicenza

Tue May 04, 2021 7:31 pm

mxaxai wrote:

It is very possible indeed and, whilst not very common, it is not rare either.

CanukinUSA

Tue May 04, 2021 7:31 pm

My question is? If the baby was born when the aircraft was in International Airspace (i.e. greater then 12 miles off the coast of the US), what citizenship does he/she have?
Is it United States because of the parents citizenship or the aircraft registration country of the aircraft?

Vicenza

Tue May 04, 2021 7:32 pm

mxaxai wrote:

Usually it's a combo of obesity + lack of routine feminine medical care.[/quote]

Actually, it is not necessarily at all and not as simple as you seem to be putting it.

Vicenza

Tue May 04, 2021 7:35 pm

avi8 wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

No need at all for amazement. Giving birth at 7 months is not uncommon at all, and a baby's normal survival chances are extremely high. There is not necessarily any need for immediate, or emergency, medical treatment.

DocLightning

Tue May 04, 2021 7:36 pm

mxaxai wrote:

My very first clinical case ever as a third year medical student was a 45yo lady who came into Labor and Delivery with her water broken and actively contracting. She had three prior children, aged 15, 17, and 20. She swore up and down that she had no idea that she was pregnant and that she had been getting her regular periods all along. Her husband was drunk as monk in the corner of the room. I could hardly blame him.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

I'm just amazed that the baby did OK. At 28 weeks, the lungs aren't matured and if the mother didn't know she was pregnant, there would have been no way to give her steroids to force the infant's lungs to mature. And then you're on an airplane with a cabin altitude of 7,000 feet over the middle of the ocean with minimal medical equipment (I'm pretty sure that the medical kits on airplanes don't have much to offer a 28-week preemie) and cramped quarters. Reading the article, they did some "MacGuyver" tricks, like clamping the cord with shoelaces and following the pulses with a smartwatch, but I'm still amazed that everyone was OK. I'm a Board-Certified pediatrician and I've cared for a few hundred preemies in my career, but I am so very glad I wasn't on that flight.

chunhimlai wrote:
Almost certainly, Hawaii will issue the birth certificate. What it will say on it as a place of birth...I'd guess the flight number but I don't know what the actual administrative procedure is for a situation like this.

smartplane

Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 pm

40 years ago, my wife was working in a travel agent's back office team - 8 staff. The youngest lady, in her mid-20's took their lunch money to collect orders for the staff, and never returned.

Another staff member reported seeing an ambulance nearby at the time she was out. Colleagues feared she had been run over, so phoned the nearest hospital.

Yes, she was there. Nothing broken. Had given birth to a baby daughter. The whole office were amazed, as was the new mum. No baby clothes or preparation.

Everyone rallied around. By the time mum and baby were discharged from hospital, her stunned flat mates were relieved a new born wasn't joining them. Instead went back home to live with her parents.

codc10

Tue May 04, 2021 8:06 pm

mxaxai wrote:

It actually happens with a degree of regularity. Obesity, age, socioeconomic and psychological factors often come into play, in some combination.

This mom was pretty far along, but even at 28 weeks air travel is generally considered "safe", though this is approaching the threshold where most OBGYN would advise against totally discretionary travel. So, even if this woman were receiving ordinary prenatal care, and assuming there were no complications (that would appear to be unlikely given the circumstances), it would be somewhat normal for an expectant mother to be flying at this stage of her pregnancy.
Last edited by codc10 on Tue May 04, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MDC862

Tue May 04, 2021 8:13 pm

The baby HAS to be given a great name out of this.

My recommendation:

Sky King

KCaviator

Tue May 04, 2021 8:19 pm

I heard about this story on the radio in Kansas City. Apparently a few of the nurses that helped out were from KC. Radio said they used shoe string to cut the umbilical cord and an Apple Watch to monitor the baby’s heart rate.

OKCPanda

Tue May 04, 2021 8:28 pm

My wife gets "angry" by this story. We just had our first son on April 12, and we have no idea how one can not know they're pregnant. Glad everything worked out here!

lightsaber

Tue May 04, 2021 9:40 pm

MDC862 wrote:

My recommendation:

Sky King

Juan Trip is my suggestion.

Lightsaber

Nonrevhell

Tue May 04, 2021 11:13 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

That depends on whether the plane was a Boeing or an Airbus... :tongue2:

WesternDC6B

Wed May 05, 2021 12:24 am

lightsaber wrote:
MDC862 wrote:

My recommendation:

Sky King

Lightsaber

Dan Roman. (Let's see who gets the reference.)

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed May 05, 2021 1:18 am

OKCPanda wrote:
My wife gets "angry" by this story. We just had our first son on April 12, and we have no idea how one can not know they're pregnant. Glad everything worked out here!

As mentioned up thread. It seems crazy but it does happen from time to time due to all sorts of reasons. Biology is crazy.

zanl188

Wed May 05, 2021 1:44 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
MDC862 wrote:

My recommendation:

Sky King

Lightsaber

Dan Roman. (Let's see who gets the reference.)

I’d recognize that whistle anywhere…..

Suggestion for baby name: Delta

alberchico

Wed May 05, 2021 1:47 am

I know this might be off topic, but if this woman genuinely did not realize this whole time she was pregnant, what happens to the baby if she was drinking or smoking all these months ?

Kind of horrifying to contemplate that.

SuseJ772

Wed May 05, 2021 1:53 am

DocLightning wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

My very first clinical case ever as a third year medical student was a 45yo lady who came into Labor and Delivery with her water broken and actively contracting. She had three prior children, aged 15, 17, and 20. She swore up and down that she had no idea that she was pregnant and that she had been getting her regular periods all along. Her husband was drunk as monk in the corner of the room. I could hardly blame him.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

I'm just amazed that the baby did OK. At 28 weeks, the lungs aren't matured and if the mother didn't know she was pregnant, there would have been no way to give her steroids to force the infant's lungs to mature. And then you're on an airplane with a cabin altitude of 7,000 feet over the middle of the ocean with minimal medical equipment (I'm pretty sure that the medical kits on airplanes don't have much to offer a 28-week preemie) and cramped quarters. Reading the article, they did some "MacGuyver" tricks, like clamping the cord with shoelaces and following the pulses with a smartwatch, but I'm still amazed that everyone was OK. I'm a Board-Certified pediatrician and I've cared for a few hundred preemies in my career, but I am so very glad I wasn't on that flight.

chunhimlai wrote:
Almost certainly, Hawaii will issue the birth certificate. What it will say on it as a place of birth...I'd guess the flight number but I don't know what the actual administrative procedure is for a situation like this.

There also just so happened to be 3 separate NICU nurses (what are the odds) - in addition to the doctor - on board the flight. That had to help.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed May 05, 2021 1:58 am

alberchico wrote:
I know this might be off topic, but if this woman genuinely did not realize this whole time she was pregnant, what happens to the baby if she was drinking or smoking all these months ?

Smoking and drinking is not some instant death sentence for a chile. It will increase the risks of issues so would need to be watched for more closely. Most likely they'll be just as healthy as any kid.

gunsontheroof

Wed May 05, 2021 2:44 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
alberchico wrote:

Smoking and drinking is not some instant death sentence for a chile. It will increase the risks of issues so would need to be watched for more closely. Most likely they'll be just as healthy as any kid.

It's also rather presumptuous to make that leap just because the child was premature and the mother wasn't aware of her pregnancy when there are a litany of reasons for either happening.

Glad to hear the kid is OK, kudos to everyone onboard who provided assistance!

flyingclrs727

Wed May 05, 2021 5:08 am

DocLightning wrote:

I was born just a few weeks after a category 4 hurricane that was downgraded to a category 3 hurricane struck the Texas coast. My mother was afraid she might go into labor early during the hurricane due to the low atmosphere pressure. Could the high altitude cabin pressure have been a factor in causing this woman to go into labor prematurely?

zeke

Wed May 05, 2021 6:29 am

DocLightning wrote:
I'd guess the flight number but I don't know what the actual administrative procedure is for a situation like this.

Should say "in the air" as place of birth if in international airspace..

Leej

Wed May 05, 2021 7:26 am

Shame it wasn't a girl. Delta Dawn would have been the obvious choice!

WesternDC6B

Wed May 05, 2021 9:47 am

alberchico wrote:

I'm from one of many generations that came out fine despite mothers who drank and smoked..Unless mothers were 3 pack a day drunkards it just wasn't an issue.

crownvic

Wed May 05, 2021 10:28 am

I guess no fatal gender revealing party for this mother..Now the big question, not knowing your pregnant for 7 months , how will you know how to be a good mother?

afterburner

Wed May 05, 2021 10:33 am

CanukinUSA wrote:
My question is? If the baby was born when the aircraft was in International Airspace (i.e. greater then 12 miles off the coast of the US), what citizenship does he/she have?
Is it United States because of the parents citizenship or the aircraft registration country of the aircraft?

Not every country in the world give its citizenship to people who are born on its soil. Almost certainly the baby has citizenship(s) of at least one of his/her parents.

CanukinUSA

Wed May 05, 2021 11:57 am

The reason I asked the question is if the baby was born while in International Airspace (from 12 miles off the US West Coast to 12 miles east of Hawaii) that would not be US soil legally. So I assume that the baby would be a citizen of the parents country of citizenship if that country allows that. Probably US as the parents would most likely be US citizens on Delta.

superjeff

Wed May 05, 2021 12:34 pm

CanukinUSA wrote:

Citizenship is based on (a) the parents' and (b) place of departure/arrival ( I'm not sure which, but, in this case, the Birth Certificate would probably have been filed in Hawaii. Place of Birth would likely be "On U.S. registered airplane", I think, but that's a bit of a guess :-)

superjeff

Wed May 05, 2021 12:38 pm

Leej wrote:
Shame it wasn't a girl. Delta Dawn would have been the obvious choice!

Many years ago, a baby was born on a Pan Am flight from Hong Kong (via Tokyo) to the U.S. The parents named their daughter "Fan Mei," which apparently means Pan Am in Chinese??

I kind of like another poster's here "Delta Dawn," but in this case it could have been "Delta Dan"

NearMiss

Wed May 05, 2021 1:00 pm

If the landing was hard, they should call him Ryan.

744SPX

Wed May 05, 2021 1:14 pm

Vicenza wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

They even had a reality show on the subject a few years back.

Scoots71

Wed May 05, 2021 1:48 pm

744SPX wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

They even had a reality show on the subject a few years back.

And there were many who were in "great shape." I think it was a TLC channel show. They even did a series on people to whom it had happened twice.

ILNFlyer

Wed May 05, 2021 2:13 pm

mxaxai wrote:

That's my question.

ddye123

Wed May 05, 2021 2:59 pm

Had it been a girl, I think Ada Quonsett would have been appropriate

sgbroimp

Wed May 05, 2021 5:13 pm

Vicenza wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

Really? She did not notice she missed 6-7 periods? Was she maybe in a coma?

sgbroimp

Wed May 05, 2021 5:16 pm

NearMiss wrote:
If the landing was hard, they should call him Ryan.

or "Nemo" !

shadyshamrock

Wed May 05, 2021 6:54 pm

crownvic wrote:
I guess no fatal gender revealing party for this mother..Now the big question, not knowing your pregnant for 7 months , how will you know how to be a good mother?

Nobody learns 'how' be be a good mother/father during the pregnancy. Some people go to all the classes, read all the books, listen to all the podcasts and still it all comes down to having no choice when baby comes but to get stuck in and parent your kid and hope you're doing right by him/her. This mom will be just fine.

By the way, some of the responses here gave me a chuckle. I say this with all respect because certainly it is better and safer for mother and baby today but some of your heads would explode if you knew how things were not too long ago. The post panicking about the effects of smoking and drinking in particular shows how quickly some things change. I'm one of 9 kids all born from 1979-1990 and all pickled in the womb with booze and cigs (as were my parents and their siblings).

Another example of how something like this can happen. My sister who has PCOS was 5 months pregnant when she found out. She's a tiny little woman but the PCOS means irregular cycles and holding fat in the abdomen.

TUSAirliner

Wed May 05, 2021 7:00 pm

[quote

Actually, it is not necessarily at all and not as simple as you seem to be putting it.[/quote]

Exactly. They say one reason is the position of the fetus

As for how did it survive 3 hours? Along with the others comments that it’s nothing new, they were well prepared and the baby was on oxygen.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed May 05, 2021 8:03 pm

sgbroimp wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

Really? She did not notice she missed 6-7 periods? Was she maybe in a coma?

You really should read the rest of the thread. But specifically on the period thing. She might have still been getting regularish periods. It isn't entirely unheard of. Also she may have had very irregular or light periods so had not really noticed any change. She might have also have been on some contraceptive which effectively halts menstruation.

Periods are not some clockwork mechanism that will always happen on a set schedule. While generally similar they are different for each woman and can even differ for a woman depending on outside influences. Biology is crazy.

birdup

Wed May 05, 2021 8:24 pm

CanukinUSA wrote:

The answer is easy presuming the mother is a US citizen who has presumably lived in the US for at least a year continuously at some point in her life: the baby is automatically a US citizen from the time of birth, regardless of where the baby was actually born.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthri ... ted_States

Phosphorus

Wed May 05, 2021 8:27 pm

CanukinUSA wrote:

Without prejudice to the citizenship matter, let's just go through what we know:
1) it was a domestic flight, so the jurisdiction of the country (USA in this case) never changed or wavered
2) the fact that the plane was over international waters would have relevance, were this an international flight -- and then there is a plethora of theoretical options and factors. Most important, of course, would be the flag of the vessel (airplane in this case). It's the captain who is the supreme representative of the law of his nation on the ship in/over international waters: captains marry couples, confirm birth and death, etc. (These things tend to be more common/practiced on ships, rather than on airplanes, for a variety of reasons, including duration of voyage and crew size. Afterall, it's not uncommon for death not to be pronounced on passengers, until airplane has landed, and the stretcher with the body safely off the plane. Still, captains are generally invested with these rights.) And because of Jones Act, in the United States it could only be US-flagged vessel operating domestic.
So the birth occurred within US jurisdiction.

Citizenship? If parents are US citizens -- no question here. If however they are foreigners, US rules of jus soli kick in -- "born on the US soil -- citizens of the US". Whether a US-flagged airplane, operating a domestic US flight, is sufficiently "US soil"? IMHO, rather yes -- but it's a guess, someone better informed might have an actual answer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos