Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcajet
Topic Author

PAL Philippine Airlines to file for Chapter 11

Thu May 06, 2021 12:11 am

Per many sources (Cirium and Flight Global among them) PAL Philippine Airlines has informed its lessors of a plan to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the USA by the end of May, Norton Rose Fulbright (US) is the airline’s counsel on the restructuring and Seabury Capital (US) has been hired as a restructuring adviser.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/p ... 81.article
Keep calm and wash your hands.

LAXintl

Re: PAL Philippine Airlines to file for Chapter 11

Thu May 06, 2021 12:19 am

They have been threatening BK for several months now. That along with latest news already being covered in >>> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1456059
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jbs2886

Thu May 06, 2021 12:29 am

LAXintl wrote:
They have been threatening BK for several months now. That along with latest news already being covered in >>> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1456059

It's being covered in the Philadelphia thread? Either way, I think this is fine as its own topic, I never would have known about it reading a generic mega thread.

dcajet
Topic Author

Thu May 06, 2021 12:36 am

LAXintl wrote:

I thought this is important enough to warrant its own thread. It gets lost in those generic threads that most users may not open.

smi0006

Thu May 06, 2021 12:41 am

Does this mean they will file for bankruptcy in the Philippines though? Haven’t a few non-US airlines done this in the US with no operational impact?

dcajet
Topic Author

Thu May 06, 2021 12:45 am

smi0006 wrote:
Does this mean they will file for bankruptcy in the Philippines though? Haven’t a few non-US airlines done this in the US with no operational impact?

It appears the filing will be done in US courts, just as Avianca and LATAM did.

asuflyer

Thu May 06, 2021 1:43 am

smi0006 wrote:

The US, particularly the Southern District of New York is a preferred destination for bankruptcy and restructuring for companies with global exposure as the courts and law firms are well setup to handle large bankruptcy cases. During the bankruptcy contracts and items like aircraft leases, employees, suppliers can be renegotiated and terminated in ways that are more favorable for the company. So while the PR will continue to operate on a day to day basis they could easily reject aircraft leases that are too expensive and divest of assets that are financially burdening.

RTWin10

Thu May 06, 2021 3:35 am

catiii wrote:
dcajet wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

I thought this is important enough to warrant its own thread. It gets lost in those generic threads that most users may not open.

I doubt it's being covered in the Philadelphia thread...

You're right to start a new thread.

I believe he was referring to the Philippine Aviation Thread 2021. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1455999&start=100

There are several posts regarding details of how PR is going about the pre-packaging of the bankruptcy, etc.

catiii

Thu May 06, 2021 4:24 am

RTWin10 wrote:
catiii wrote:
dcajet wrote:

I doubt it's being covered in the Philadelphia thread...

You're right to start a new thread.

I believe he was referring to the Philippine Aviation Thread 2021. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1455999&start=100

There are several posts regarding details of how PR is going about the pre-packaging of the bankruptcy, etc.

The thread he quoted in the post is a Philadelphia thread.

roadrunner165

Thu May 06, 2021 6:11 am

Any idea how this bankruptcy would affect passengers holding credits for future flights?

I messed up and took a credit voucher for future travel instead of a credit card refund when Covid hit. And I have been looking for a way out ever since. PAL initially said a refund to credit card could take upwards of 5 cycles to to process, meaning it could be 5 months before I got a credit back to my card. Come to find out that was a load of crap they were using to scare people into taking the voucher. I should have said refund to card and then disputed the charge with Visa and Bank of America when the credit wasn't issued within a reasonable time frame. But I digress....

Adam

filipinoavgeek

Thu May 06, 2021 6:43 am

With how much PR is struggling these days, this should put to rest any discussion or hope of PR ordering any new types for the foreseeable future, whether it be the 787 or the A330neo.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

RDRogel

Thu May 06, 2021 9:50 am

and joining PAL into Oneworld Alliance.

MIflyer12

Thu May 06, 2021 10:32 am

roadrunner165 wrote:
Any idea how this bankruptcy would affect passengers holding credits for future flights?

I'm not a lawyer but I believe a Ch 11 filing would allow PAL to reject these obligations. That generates a lot of ill-will among many so they may not choose to reject.

jfklganyc

Thu May 06, 2021 11:00 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

I'm not a lawyer but I believe a Ch 11 filing would allow PAL to reject these obligations. That generates a lot of ill-will among many so they may not choose to reject.

The reason most companies don’t usually reject future applications like that is because it is low hanging fruit (in the grand scheme of things) and it alienates customers.

PR isnt restructuring to wipe out your $1500 credit.

NearMiss

Thu May 06, 2021 11:15 am

I think they were struggling even before Covid-19. Hopefully they'll bounce back.
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Polot

Thu May 06, 2021 11:26 am

jfklganyc wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

The reason most companies don’t usually reject future applications like that is because it is low hanging fruit (in the grand scheme of things) and it alienates customers.

PR isnt restructuring to wipe out your $1500 credit.

It also only hurts them when the passenger actually uses the credit...and a surprising number of people never do and let them expire.

Rejecting them also doesn’t really free up cash for the airline in the short term. Credits just impact future revenue (minimally).

SEPilot

Thu May 06, 2021 2:41 pm

Not surprising. They have always seemed to me to be on shaky financial ground, and COVID has been very hard on all airlines. And the Philippines seem to have been extremely harsh (unnecessarily so) with their lockdown rules. I have flown PAL when I have been in the Philippines only because the alternatives seem worse. My wife is from Dipolog, which is about 500 miles south of Manila. So the choice to get there is PAL, Cebu Pacific, or a two day boat ride. I have heard and read enough horror stories about Cebu Pacific to avoid them if possible. And my wife is dead set against the two day boat ride (which also costs just as much). An interesting aside; when we first met in 2013 flights from Manila to Dipolog were sparsely populated; getting a seat at short notice was no problem. That has dramatically changed; they have been booked solid for two to three weeks in advance every time we have tried to book a seat, either for ourselves or for family.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos