Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Avelo Airlines To Create HVN Base

Thu May 06, 2021 11:46 am

Avelo Airlines is set to create its second base in New Haven, CT (HVN) this summer.

According to the reports, Avelo will be basing three 147-seat Boeing 737-700s in HVN and hire 100 staff.

HVN Airport is set to announce Avelo's entrance and a new terminal today at 10:30 AM.

Paywall article (includes the 147-seat 737 info and announcement time): https://www.middletownpress.com/news/ar ... 154846.php
Non Paywall: https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/n ... f-airport/
There's a Twitter account for "The New HVN" with renderings of the new terminal: https://twitter.com/TheNewHVN
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

SWADawg

Re: Avelo Airlines To Create HVN Base

Thu May 06, 2021 12:06 pm

737-700’s eh? Wonder where they are getting those from. WN has been returning quite a few to lessors lately. Most were going to United, but maybe a few are heading to Avelo. I actually think the -700 would be a more appropriate Aircraft for Avelo in a lot of the small markets their serving.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

DaCubbyBearBar

Thu May 06, 2021 12:07 pm

737-700’s?? I thought that they were only going the -800 route. 147 seats is not STUFFED sardines, so respectable. They have to be dirt cheap to acquire right now
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

Polot

Thu May 06, 2021 12:11 pm

Seems odd to start a second base so far away and disconnected from your first base.

lesfalls

Thu May 06, 2021 12:19 pm

Polot wrote:
Seems odd to start a second base so far away and disconnected from your first base.

Their HQ isn't connected to either of the bases.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

WaywardMemphian

Thu May 06, 2021 12:25 pm

Beats Allegiant to the the punch as they have stated interest once the runway expansion is done.

A new 4 gate terminal seems to be in the offing but Avelo is giving over a million to make the current one work.

Polot

Thu May 06, 2021 12:46 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Polot wrote:

That’s more common. With closer bases however you can share out stations using same ground personnel and equipment, making the station more cost effective (especially if only serving a few times a week).

Ishrion
Topic Author

Thu May 06, 2021 12:48 pm

Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

Cubsrule

Thu May 06, 2021 1:00 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
737-700’s?? I thought that they were only going the -800 route. 147 seats is not STUFFED sardines, so respectable. They have to be dirt cheap to acquire right now

I can't speak to their future plans, but HVN's sole runway is only 5,600 feet. The -800 is fine on that in the dry but any contamination is likely game over as far as getting any kind of decent load in or out.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

CFWAD

Thu May 06, 2021 1:06 pm

A startup that is actually investing in airport infrastructure? Definitely shows commitment on Avelo's part and probably assisted in them getting some pretty good deals from the community.

A far cry from the days of Skybus and PE 2.0 who essentially used city councils and airport authority coffers to cover their day-of operations.
CaVOK
A300.310.319.320.321.332.333.343.B722.732.733.734.735.736.73G.738.739.742.74M.752.762.763.772.773.779.CR2.CR7.DC9.DC10.DH1.DH3.DH4.E135.E175. E195.MD83

MIflyer12

Thu May 06, 2021 1:10 pm

CFWAD wrote:
A startup that is actually investing in airport infrastructure? Definitely shows commitment on Avelo's part and probably assisted in them getting some pretty good deals from the community.

What deals can the community offer? Use of airport funds is restricted. Is there a Chamber of Commerce-type aviation slush fund with something other than tax dollars?

wnflyguy

Thu May 06, 2021 1:15 pm

Polot wrote:

It's the original Ryan air model that Allegiant has been doing in the US.
They base the aircraft and crew at each dedicated Airport and have crews do day time turns eliminating the expense of costly overnighting crew perdiem, hotels and crew transportation.
Plus they eliminate overnighting aircraft cost to just a few Dedicated airports.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

SWADawg

Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 pm

CFWAD wrote:

A far cry from the days of Skybus and PE 2.0 who essentially used city councils and airport authority coffers to cover their day-of operations.

I was impressed with this as well. It shows that Avelo is a serious player and better financed than I thought they were. I’m just not sure if their strategy of flying from secondary markets into tertiary markets is a recipe for long term success. I think they are going to need to do a hybrid of Southwest and also fly to the Houston Hobby’s, Dallas Love’s and Chicago Midway’s of the world as well. Maybe they are planning to do exactly that, but I haven’t seen that indication yet. I wish them luck though.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

CALMSP

Thu May 06, 2021 1:48 pm

Polot wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
Polot wrote:

That’s more common. With closer bases however you can share out stations using same ground personnel and equipment, making the station more cost effective (especially if only serving a few times a week).

are they even using their own ground staff? I can't imagine they are insourcing their operations, so it wouldn't matter about using the same outstations.

stlgph

Thu May 06, 2021 1:51 pm

With Andrew Levy as the CEO though, very surprised he isn't trying to cram 200 seats into a 737-7.

However, best of luck to them. More variety and opportunities for the industry.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

tphuang

Thu May 06, 2021 1:53 pm

The great deal with community is being the closest airport to some of the welathiest zip codes around the country. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Polot

Thu May 06, 2021 1:57 pm

CALMSP wrote:
Polot wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

are they even using their own ground staff? I can't imagine they are insourcing their operations, so it wouldn't matter about using the same outstations.

You still have to pay for outsourcing, it’s just cheaper than paying in house. And obviously the more work the outsourced labor is doing generally the better bang for your buck.

stlgph

Thu May 06, 2021 2:05 pm

tphuang wrote:
The great deal with community is being the closest airport to some of the welathiest zip codes around the country. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

And skipping the drive down to LaGuardia and up to Boston!
It'll be interesting to see what happens up the road in Providence as a result of this...

iAvgeek737

Thu May 06, 2021 2:16 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Beats Allegiant to the the punch as they have stated interest once the runway expansion is done.

A new 4 gate terminal seems to be in the offing but Avelo is giving over a million to make the current one work.

I would assume this is also to discourage Breeze from having HVN on their initial destinations, especially as Breeze wants routes with no competition.

sxf24

Thu May 06, 2021 2:44 pm

SWADawg wrote:
CFWAD wrote:

I was impressed with this as well. It shows that Avelo is a serious player and better financed than I thought they were. I’m just not sure if their strategy of flying from secondary markets into tertiary markets is a recipe for long term success. I think they are going to need to do a hybrid of Southwest and also fly to the Houston Hobby’s, Dallas Love’s and Chicago Midway’s of the world as well. Maybe they are planning to do exactly that, but I haven’t seen that indication yet. I wish them luck though.

Avelo reportedly raised over $150 million.

airlineworker

Thu May 06, 2021 2:48 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

I can't speak to their future plans, but HVN's sole runway is only 5,600 feet. The -800 is fine on that in the dry but any contamination is likely game over as far as getting any kind of decent load in or out.

700's are used at EYW with a 5100 foot runway. The 800's are a bit much for HVN but no routes have been announced yet. Hope AA will respond with more flights especially to CLT and not PHL.

micstatic

Thu May 06, 2021 2:48 pm

stlgph wrote:
tphuang wrote:

It'll be interesting to see what happens up the road in Providence as a result of this...

Don't forget BDL. But I'm rooting for this to work.

CALMSP

Thu May 06, 2021 2:50 pm

Polot wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
Polot wrote:

You still have to pay for outsourcing, it’s just cheaper than paying in house. And obviously the more work the outsourced labor is doing generally the better bang for your buck.

yes you do, but you are then only paying for the time of your operation, not staffing a minimum 4-8 hour shifts. So, there literally is no disadvantage of going to another outstation that is not served from BUR.

PVD523

Thu May 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Wow, did not see this one coming. Congratulations to HVN and Avelo. A much needed win for HVN.

Favre4

Thu May 06, 2021 3:25 pm

EX - DELTA BIRDS

airportugal310

Thu May 06, 2021 3:29 pm

Favre4 wrote:
EX - DELTA BIRDS

At least you know that they were very well-maintained
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Polot

Thu May 06, 2021 3:31 pm

Favre4 wrote:
EX - DELTA BIRDS

Would make sense. DL optioned them for take off performance so they would work well out of HVN.

catiii

Thu May 06, 2021 3:37 pm

SWADawg wrote:
I actually think the -700 would be a more appropriate Aircraft for Avelo in a lot of the small markets their serving.

Why? The -800 has the same operating costs as the -700 with more revenue seats to fill. The only reason you would go -700 is for airport constraints.

catiii

Thu May 06, 2021 3:38 pm

stlgph wrote:
tphuang wrote:

And also skipping HPN. They have nothing to lose here. This is a really smart move with their fleet, fare, and cost structure.

shamrock137

Thu May 06, 2021 3:59 pm

Polot wrote:
Favre4 wrote:
EX - DELTA BIRDS

Would make sense. DL optioned them for take off performance so they would work well out of HVN.

What type of options were available to boost the performance on the -700?
Time to spare? Go by air!

AmericanAir88

Thu May 06, 2021 4:12 pm

Wonder how BDL and HPN will respond. BDL, especially given CT’s advertisements on the airport. CT loves BDL. I always thought BDL would get an expansion over HVN.

HVN is a weird airport. This new terminal seems akin to TTN. Maybe they will add jetways or actual restaurants/food stands?

PVD757

Thu May 06, 2021 4:21 pm

stlgph wrote:
tphuang wrote:

This would potentially impact BDL more than PVD. HVN to BDL is 56 miles whereas HVN to PVD is 96 miles. Both are directly linked via interstate highways. The area between HVN and PVD is mostly rural versus the area between BDL which is mostly dense suburbs and metro (with some high wealth zip codes I might add).

LotsaRunway

Thu May 06, 2021 4:23 pm

This is wonderful for HVN, but is also wild that Avelo would launch from two bases at opposite sides of the country, using airports with short runways and very questionable ability to connect the two dots. It's almost like they are starting two airlines of slightly different fleets that will operate without touching each other. Will they try to put some dots in the middle to connect the two operations? Do they even feel like it is needed? This will be fun to watch.

jayspilot

Thu May 06, 2021 4:38 pm

flight times and destinations will be very interesting.

The only city that could be shared destinations with the Burbank base is MAYBE Phoenix. I don't see a transcon to burbank....

The approaches into HVN and the weather being right on the coast make it a way less reliable airport in poor WX days then their west cost stations.. I'm also not even sure on the landing performance of the -700 on a wet runway.. I wonder how they will set up diverts which will happen a lot............

its one thing when an american flight has to divert to BDL, they have an entire station and operation there.. There wont' be another based for Avelo anywhere near by.

Wneast

Thu May 06, 2021 4:40 pm

jayspilot wrote:
flight times and destinations will be very interesting.

The only city that could be shared destinations with the Burbank base is MAYBE Phoenix. I don't see a transcon to burbank....

The approaches into HVN and the weather being right on the coast make it a way less reliable airport in poor WX days then their west cost stations.. I'm also not even sure on the landing performance of the -700 on a wet runway.. I wonder how they will set up diverts which will happen a lot............

Did nobody see Idk how far there extending but they are extending the runway

stlgph

Thu May 06, 2021 4:42 pm

PVD757 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
tphuang wrote:

This would potentially impact BDL more than PVD. HVN to BDL is 56 miles whereas HVN to PVD is 96 miles. Both are directly linked via interstate highways. The area between HVN and PVD is mostly rural versus the area between BDL which is mostly dense suburbs and metro (with some high wealth zip codes I might add).

Mostly rural? Have you been along the Connecticut shoreline?

East Haven, Branford, Guilford, Madison, Clinton, Westbrook, Old Saybrook, Waterford, Niantic, New London, Mystic, Groton, then you can go up north into the country, where a lot of people reside in all kinds of hamlets and then there's the reach up into Norwich, Middletown, Meriden, Wallingford, Hamden, etc.

95 New Haven to Providence generally isn't as much of a nightmare as it is from NY state up to New Haven. If you offer a good enough deal, people will have no problem(s) driving down from the Providence or Hartford areas.

People in Connecticut and Rhode Island are used to driving everywhere. When I lived in Hartford, it was nothing for us to drive 90 minutes to 2 hours to go out bar hopping almost every Friday or Saturday in Providence.

airlineworker

Thu May 06, 2021 4:44 pm

micstatic wrote:
stlgph wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Don't forget BDL. But I'm rooting for this to work.

BDL is the one that fought HVN tooth and nail to keep from the expanding the runway, federal district court, court of appeals ans finally SCOTUS. BDL was running ads in Fairfield county, "Come home to Bradley" and saying "Yale was just down the road from Bradley". Fairfield county is well covered by nearby HPN and Yale is more than just down the road. I hope all goes well for HVN as it has a much higher population base surrounding it than BDL does and is near to I-95 and I-91.

MavyWavyATR

Thu May 06, 2021 4:57 pm

It's honestly a bit of a weird place to open a base at when you look at more suitable options for them (HPN, BDL to name a few). It's also gonna be interesting to see if they can get a 73G out of HVN with a profitable load considering the runway length there.

alohashirts

Thu May 06, 2021 4:57 pm

Having BUR and now HVN as bases for an airline is not a bad idea. But having them as your first two bases ever without having an established network, loyal customer base, etc., in my opinion isn’t going to work. I think it would be different if these two were bases down the road after having bases at other large airports. G4 didn’t make AVL, DSM, VPS, USA, ABE, bases until way down the road until they had bases in places such Orlando, Phoenix/Mesa, Ft. Lauderdale, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles.

And like people here have said, there are tons of opportunities in BDL to make the base, should’ve done it there. It feels like they did HVN just to be unique, and to emphasize early on that they’ll serve underserved airports. Almost as if they’re trying to force a brand image or a business model that’s not established yet, if that makes sense.
Last edited by alohashirts on Thu May 06, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nine4nine

Thu May 06, 2021 5:02 pm

catiii wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
I actually think the -700 would be a more appropriate Aircraft for Avelo in a lot of the small markets their serving.

Why? The -800 has the same operating costs as the -700 with more revenue seats to fill. The only reason you would go -700 is for airport constraints.

Which would work perfect on BUR-HVN both being shorter runway performance on transcon
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

alohashirts

Thu May 06, 2021 5:08 pm

nine4nine wrote:
catiii wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

Which would work perfect on BUR-HVN both being shorter runway performance on transcon

Who would fly from HVN-BUR?

This whole Avelo thing screams Skybus. Maybe they should look into adding HVN-BOI/SMF/TUS, what a joke.

PVD757

Thu May 06, 2021 5:09 pm

stlgph wrote:
PVD757 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

East Haven, Branford, Guilford, Madison, Clinton, Westbrook, Old Saybrook, Waterford, Niantic, New London, Mystic, Groton, then you can go up north into the country, where a lot of people reside in all kinds of hamlets and then there's the reach up into Norwich, Middletown, Meriden, Wallingford, Hamden, etc.

95 New Haven to Providence generally isn't as much of a nightmare as it is from NY state up to New Haven. If you offer a good enough deal, people will have no problem(s) driving down from the Providence or Hartford areas.

People in Connecticut and Rhode Island are used to driving everywhere. When I lived in Hartford, it was nothing for us to drive 90 minutes to 2 hours to go out bar hopping almost every Friday or Saturday in Providence.

You’re absolutely right, good job!

nine4nine

Thu May 06, 2021 5:10 pm

alohashirts wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
catiii wrote:

Who would fly from HVN-BUR?

This whole Avelo thing screams Skybus. Maybe they should look into adding HVN-BOI/SMF/TUS, what a joke.

The LA market is one of the largest outside of NYC. Why not??? For the areas outside of NYC this gives them an option besides JFK as LGA has perimeter restraints.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

WNflyer1523

Thu May 06, 2021 5:15 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:
It's honestly a bit of a weird place to open a base at when you look at more suitable options for them (HPN, BDL to name a few). It's also gonna be interesting to see if they can get a 73G out of HVN with a profitable load considering the runway length there.

I disagree. New Haven and surrounding areas have been clamoring for more service. BDL already has Southwest, JetBlue, Frontier, and Spirit. HPN is already pretty full. They're lengthening the runway by 1000' at HVN.

hbernal1

Thu May 06, 2021 5:16 pm

I don't think HVN-BUR would work at the moment, especially if you consider that B6 already fly BDL-LAX.

EDIT: I do think there's plenty of opportunities in the Florida market for Avelo to exploit from HVN, especially in the wintertime.

YouGeeElWhy

Thu May 06, 2021 5:29 pm

This is definitely not about doing transcon. You only need to look at what they did at Burbank. Almost everything there for them is related to outdoor travel. I'd guess for HVN we will see lots of sunny/beachy places in FL/GA/SC/NC. Maybe Ashville/Knoxville, maybe something in West Virginia, maybe something in the Virgina Shenandoah area.

catiii

Thu May 06, 2021 5:43 pm

AmericanAir88 wrote:
Wonder how BDL and HPN will respond. BDL, especially given CT’s advertisements on the airport. CT loves BDL. I always thought BDL would get an expansion over HVN.

HVN is a weird airport. This new terminal seems akin to TTN. Maybe they will add jetways or actual restaurants/food stands?

The Governor has been actively advocating for HVN air service. CT also loves HVN.

catiii

Thu May 06, 2021 5:45 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:

Funny, you can get a full load out of SNA for a TCON to NYC. You can surely do the same from a runway 100’ shorter going half stage length.

catiii

Thu May 06, 2021 5:49 pm

stlgph wrote:
PVD757 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Exactly. Thinking the CT shoreline is "mostly rural" shows you've never been to the CT shoreline.

Boiler905

Thu May 06, 2021 5:51 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
This is definitely not about doing transcon. You only need to look at what they did at Burbank. Almost everything there for them is related to outdoor travel. I'd guess for HVN we will see lots of sunny/beachy places in FL/GA/SC/NC. Maybe Ashville/Knoxville, maybe something in West Virginia, maybe something in the Virgina Shenandoah area.

My guess on initial destinations from HVN:

GSO
PBI
RSW/PGD
CHS
PHF
Boiler Up

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos