Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Deltabravo1123
Topic Author

Reading Airport (RDG) - Growth/Future flights

Sun May 09, 2021 6:29 pm

I've always thought southeastern Pennsylvania is covered quite well with PHL, ILG, TTN, ABE, and MDT, and even LNS which has EAS routes. But I have been thinking about RDG. For years I've noticed Southwest has "Boscov's" charter flights to Orlando, but with COVID I have no idea what the fate of these flights will be. My boyfriend just started residency in Reading, and I was surprised to hear so many of his colleagues say they wish RDG had flights to Chicago, Detroit, or Atlanta. It's only a little over an hour to PHL by car, so I can't imagine AA would ever fly to PHL directly.. It would probably be the shortest flight out of PHL if they ever decided to do so. Anyways, does anybody see potential routes that could work? Any idea what the future might bring for RDG?

usair1489

Re: Reading Airport (RDG) - Growth/Future flights

Sun May 09, 2021 7:33 pm

I recall B1900 flights under some airline flying as US Airways Express in the 2000s, but I don't recall where the flights went to. Maybe PHL and PIT?

RDG is about an hour from PHL and MDT and also about thirty or so minutes to ABE. ABE has Allegiant and regional carriers under the US3 but I don't think the demand is there to restart daily service to RDG for any airline. The Southwest charter flights might be suspended for now; the flight usually departs RDG around 8 am on Sunday mornings and it wasn't listed as scheduled for today.

YQBexYHZBGM

Sun May 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Deltabravo1123 wrote:
Anyways, does anybody see potential routes that could work? Any idea what the future might bring for RDG?

CLT and ATL possibly once business travel resumes. Nonstop charters or scheduled ULCC flights a couple times a week in season to various destinations in Florida or MYR. Ditto for ILG, I still contend the right strategy could make service work where others have bungled it in the past.

YQBexYHZBGM

Sun May 09, 2021 8:26 pm

YQBexYHZBGM wrote:
Deltabravo1123 wrote:
Anyways, does anybody see potential routes that could work? Any idea what the future might bring for RDG?

CLT, ATL and one of the DC airports once business travel resumes. Focus on connecting traffic through those points. Nonstop charters or scheduled ULCC flights a couple times a week in season to various destinations in Florida or MYR. Ditto for ILG, I still contend the right strategy could make service work where others have bungled it in the past.

Buddys747

Sun May 09, 2021 9:21 pm

I’d say RDG should have EAS flying before LNS. Though they could probably use some more service of some sort, pretty large city and catchment area especially to the east for those that want to avoid PHL.

dtwtosomewhere

Sun May 09, 2021 9:36 pm

I used to fly ouf of RDG and LNS in the early 2000s. It was convenient and easy to go through security while connecting to big airports. The terminals were new and nice. They spent a lot of money to not keep it going.

flyjoe

Sun May 09, 2021 9:57 pm

usair1489 wrote:
I recall B1900 flights under some airline flying as US Airways Express in the 2000s, but I don't recall where the flights went to. Maybe PHL and PIT?

In the late 80s and into early 90s, USAir Express had multiple daily flights to PHL, PIT or BWI and at other times had nonstop to ABE, AVP and LNS. The latter three destinations mentioned were usually tags into RDG for nightly maintenance. I remember a USX routing of BOS-ABE-RDG on an F27. RDG was the HQ for Suburban Airlines, which was a USX carrier.

PHLapproach

Sun May 09, 2021 11:57 pm

As long as the current Management team is in charge of the Airport and the Board is filled with people that don't care about the Airport itself. Then you'll never see any more scheduled service again. People that are from Reading are ok with being mediocre. People that are great business leaders that want to see the City have growth do not exist there unfortunately.

gdavis003

Mon May 10, 2021 12:23 am

I was shocked when I was sitting at a gate at PHL a few years back and saw a flight to ABE at the gate across from me in Terminal F. Quite a short trip with little O&D but people who are willing to pay to not make the drive. It looks like it's been suspended for now though

phl27rphotog

Mon May 10, 2021 12:38 am

My first flight ever was June, 1973 on Allegheny Commuter RDG-PHL, operated by Suburban Airlines. DHC-6 N332MA. Suburban also flew LNS-PHL. If you think those are short flights, Wings Airways flew LOM-PHL and Chester County Air flew MQS-PHL
BillShullPhotography

crj900lr

Mon May 10, 2021 1:28 am

PHLapproach wrote:
As long as the current Management team is in charge of the Airport and the Board is filled with people that don't care about the Airport itself. Then you'll never see any more scheduled service again. People that are from Reading are ok with being mediocre. People that are great business leaders that want to see the City have growth do not exist there unfortunately.

You are spot on. They don't want air service there, they like their GA aircraft and filling the T Hangars. They don't qualify for EAS funding. RDG had their time back in the 80's and 90's. I know for a fact that they were filling those B1900's (Mesa/Air Midwest) and D38's (PSA) and DH8's (Allegheny) to PHL and PIT back then. They used to have a Airport manager, I forget his name, want to say John something, who had connections to just about everyone in the industry and FAA so if they needed something all it pretty much took was a phone call and it would more then likely be taken care of, but when he retired it just spiraled into the ground and has not recovered. When they lost their US Airways Express service to LNS, because of the money provided to fly the LNS-PIT route, they made no serious attempts to get any other airlines into the airport. All they were left with were the Southwest/Boscov's charters on select weekends. In order to get RDG back to what it once was, where air service was needed and used on a consistent basis the city and its surroundings need major improvement. Right now its nowhere close to being a city that an airline would want to set up shop in plus with MDT and ABE about 45 min away, depending on your location and PHL about 1-1/2 hours away plus BWI about 2 hours away people have other options that they are willing to use. I'll give them credit if they are really trying but I just don't see anything substantial happening there anytime soon.

crj900lr

Mon May 10, 2021 1:35 am

usair1489 wrote:

RDG is about an hour from PHL and MDT and also about thirty or so minutes to ABE. ABE has Allegiant and regional carriers under the US3 but I don't think the demand is there to restart daily service to RDG for any airline. The Southwest charter flights might be suspended for now; the flight usually departs RDG around 8 am on Sunday mornings and it wasn't listed as scheduled for today.

Air Midwest did that flying to PHL and PIT. Once the 1900's got kicked out of PHL they were only used on RDG-PIT, until that service was moved to LNS-PIT in 2004 I believe.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon May 10, 2021 2:49 am

Reading had a great air show, flew into twice about 45 years ago. Saw Bob Hoover do his P-51 and Shrike Commander show, got a green flag as take-off clearance. Airport’s still active?

crownvic

Mon May 10, 2021 5:15 am

Sadly, I just think RDG has fallen into the post 9/11 scenario that so many smaller airports have. The U.S. was once riddled with air service to nearly every small town across the country. After 9/11 security costs and the loss of so many turbo-props in the 30-50 seat range have stripped air service from so many of these small cities/towns. I remember the days of regular flights to RDG on Allegheny Commuter and USAir Express with F-27, Nord 262 and Mohawk 298s, but aircraft like this are gone and trying to make a profit with anything less than 50 seats today, is becoming obsolete.

While it maybe easy to blame airport management, RDG is just facing the same fate as so many other places across this country where it is just no longer economically viable to maintain air service.

PHLapproach

Mon May 10, 2021 11:49 pm

crownvic wrote:
While it maybe easy to blame airport management, RDG is just facing the same fate as so many other places across this country where it is just no longer economically viable to maintain air service.

They refuse to invest in GA as well. There is a need for more T-Hangars or more corporate hangars yet they just don't invest in the place. Again, completely cool with mediocrity. So many GA pilots fly right past RDG and go to LNS for whatever the reason... I guess the Restaurant might be better there for all I know.

Chuska

Tue May 11, 2021 11:01 am

I like looking way back before the jet era when airlines like TWA flew to RDG with Martin 404's back in the 1950's. The routing was PIT-MDT-LNS-RDG-ABE-EWR. I sure would love to fly that today. Sad to see these cities have fallen by the wayside. Lucky for LNS, they received some kind of waiver to continue receiving EAS. Otherwise they'd be gone too.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue May 11, 2021 2:25 pm

Deregulation, not falling by the wayside, happened. TW probably didn’t want to go to those cities then, but had to as the CAB required it to serve there to get approval to serve more desirable cities. That and the general movement of the economy south and west killed lots of service.

PHLspecial

Tue May 11, 2021 2:45 pm

I wonder what is more likely, a airline connecting to RDG or Amtrak going from Reading to PHL airport. AA could make a partnership with Amtrak if needed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos