Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
AirbusOnly
Topic Author
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:06 am

First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Sun May 09, 2021 7:16 pm

As far as I know, Icelandair is currently performing the first scheduled “long-haul flight” with its “new” Boeing 737 MAX 8, currently performing KEF-SEA route. https://fr24.com/ICE681/27a8ffea After the long lockdown interruption, Icelandair is slowly starting operations again. A TestFlight for the long grounded MAX 8 or will this be a regulär flight. IMAO only with reduced freight capacity and Limited passengers this distance is possible.
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3216
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Sun May 09, 2021 7:31 pm

This is a MAX 9, TF-ICA. Also, Copa has been operating 7+ hour flights with their MAX 9s daily. Don't think there is as much of a penalty as you believe.
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 1005
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Sun May 09, 2021 7:38 pm

United is also going to fly the 7M9 on IAH-ANC, about 7 hours and 3200 miles. It’s a very capable aircraft.
Spread hope like fire.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5664
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Sun May 09, 2021 8:00 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
As far as I know, Icelandair is currently performing the first scheduled “long-haul flight” with its “new” Boeing 737 MAX 8, currently performing KEF-SEA route. https://fr24.com/ICE681/27a8ffea After the long lockdown interruption, Icelandair is slowly starting operations again. A TestFlight for the long grounded MAX 8 or will this be a regulär flight. IMAO only with reduced freight capacity and Limited passengers this distance is possible.


Maybe to start as they get back on their feet. But come summer time, I think it'll flip back to 757 aircraft.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5664
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Sun May 09, 2021 8:24 pm

Indeed FI681 is currently over NE Canada on its way into SEA.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 5498
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Sun May 09, 2021 9:49 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
As far as I know, Icelandair is currently performing the first scheduled “long-haul flight” with its “new” Boeing 737 MAX 8, currently performing KEF-SEA route. https://fr24.com/ICE681/27a8ffea After the long lockdown interruption, Icelandair is slowly starting operations again. A TestFlight for the long grounded MAX 8 or will this be a regulär flight. IMAO only with reduced freight capacity and Limited passengers this distance is possible.


Silk Air (Singapore Airlines now?) flies/flew the 737MAX-8 as far away as Cairns in Australia, just shy of 7 hours. When I did that flight it was a bit over 7 hours. Norwegian and Primera both did transatlantic flights on the type, and I have no recollection of those going with limited passengers. The longest 737-900ER flight is the Turkish Airlines route to Dar-Es-Salaam in Tanzania, clocking in at 7 hours. The 737NG and MAX have very big fuel tanks, going far is not as big an issue for the type as you'd think.

As for reduced payload/passenger/freight capacity, keep in mind that 737s have a small cargo hold, so can't carry big loads of cargo anyway. Icelandair doesn't have a very dense configuration either, with proper business-class recliners up front.
 
Weatherwatcher1
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Sun May 09, 2021 10:55 pm

VSMUT wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
As far as I know, Icelandair is currently performing the first scheduled “long-haul flight” with its “new” Boeing 737 MAX 8, currently performing KEF-SEA route. https://fr24.com/ICE681/27a8ffea After the long lockdown interruption, Icelandair is slowly starting operations again. A TestFlight for the long grounded MAX 8 or will this be a regulär flight. IMAO only with reduced freight capacity and Limited passengers this distance is possible.


Silk Air (Singapore Airlines now?) flies/flew the 737MAX-8 as far away as Cairns in Australia, just shy of 7 hours. When I did that flight it was a bit over 7 hours. Norwegian and Primera both did transatlantic flights on the type, and I have no recollection of those going with limited passengers. The longest 737-900ER flight is the Turkish Airlines route to Dar-Es-Salaam in Tanzania, clocking in at 7 hours. The 737NG and MAX have very big fuel tanks, going far is not as big an issue for the type as you'd think.

As for reduced payload/passenger/freight capacity, keep in mind that 737s have a small cargo hold, so can't carry big loads of cargo anyway. Icelandair doesn't have a very dense configuration either, with proper business-class recliners up front.


737s don’t have a small cargo hold compared to other narrowbodies. Without aux tanks installed (don’t know if Icelandair uses them) the 737-9 has more cargo volume than a 757-200. Without aux tanks, the 737-9 cargo hold is almost exactly the same size as the A321 (within a cubic meter)
 
MDC862
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:12 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 12:04 am

Seven hours in a guppy.

That is a long time.
 
ContinentalEWR
Posts: 4424
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 2:50 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 12:32 am

Nothing new here really at all. Norwegian put its 737-MAX8s on a number of TATL flights in its heyday, including BDL-EDI, PVD and SWF routes as well. Stage lengths are 7 hours plus Westbound. AC had been flying the 319 from St. John to Heathrow for years. The 737 MAX is a troubled plane but it has the legs to do plenty of long haul. AA had it on MIA-MAO.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4976
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 12:46 am

AirbusOnly wrote:
As far as I know, Icelandair is currently performing the first scheduled “long-haul flight” with its “new” Boeing 737 MAX 8, currently performing KEF-SEA route. https://fr24.com/ICE681/27a8ffea After the long lockdown interruption, Icelandair is slowly starting operations again. A TestFlight for the long grounded MAX 8 or will this be a regulär flight. IMAO only with reduced freight capacity and Limited passengers this distance is possible.


Before their grounding, Aerolineas Argentinas was operating their MAX 8s on the EZE-PUJ route, 3,728 miles, the longest MAX nonstop flight by distance at the time.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5664
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 3:07 am

I guess the MAX 9 is staying overnight...like FI did with their flights in the past...since the stage-length is too long to turn the airplane in one day and make connections.
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 890
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 3:31 am

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Nothing new here really at all. Norwegian put its 737-MAX8s on a number of TATL flights in its heyday, including BDL-EDI, PVD and SWF routes as well. Stage lengths are 7 hours plus Westbound. AC had been flying the 319 from St. John to Heathrow for years. The 737 MAX is a troubled plane but it has the legs to do plenty of long haul. AA had it on MIA-MAO.

Is there a reason not to use the Max on TATL routes at this point if FI can run it? Like AA or UA?
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 4:03 am

PHLspecial wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Nothing new here really at all. Norwegian put its 737-MAX8s on a number of TATL flights in its heyday, including BDL-EDI, PVD and SWF routes as well. Stage lengths are 7 hours plus Westbound. AC had been flying the 319 from St. John to Heathrow for years. The 737 MAX is a troubled plane but it has the legs to do plenty of long haul. AA had it on MIA-MAO.

Is there a reason not to use the Max on TATL routes at this point if FI can run it? Like AA or UA?

Cargo, the demand for underbelly cargo specifically, airlines with widebody jets are using them for their cargo capacity as their main TATL revenue source now.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 5498
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 4:33 am

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
As far as I know, Icelandair is currently performing the first scheduled “long-haul flight” with its “new” Boeing 737 MAX 8, currently performing KEF-SEA route. https://fr24.com/ICE681/27a8ffea After the long lockdown interruption, Icelandair is slowly starting operations again. A TestFlight for the long grounded MAX 8 or will this be a regulär flight. IMAO only with reduced freight capacity and Limited passengers this distance is possible.


Silk Air (Singapore Airlines now?) flies/flew the 737MAX-8 as far away as Cairns in Australia, just shy of 7 hours. When I did that flight it was a bit over 7 hours. Norwegian and Primera both did transatlantic flights on the type, and I have no recollection of those going with limited passengers. The longest 737-900ER flight is the Turkish Airlines route to Dar-Es-Salaam in Tanzania, clocking in at 7 hours. The 737NG and MAX have very big fuel tanks, going far is not as big an issue for the type as you'd think.

As for reduced payload/passenger/freight capacity, keep in mind that 737s have a small cargo hold, so can't carry big loads of cargo anyway. Icelandair doesn't have a very dense configuration either, with proper business-class recliners up front.


737s don’t have a small cargo hold compared to other narrowbodies. Without aux tanks installed (don’t know if Icelandair uses them) the 737-9 has more cargo volume than a 757-200. Without aux tanks, the 737-9 cargo hold is almost exactly the same size as the A321 (within a cubic meter)


I didn't compare it with anything. It has a small cargo hold regardless of its competition. You will be almost filling it with the passengers bags alone. It doesn't help that passengers are more likely to check in a suitcase on longer flights. These long haul narrowbodies are not cargo haulers like their widebody cousins.

Short haul in Europe, I have never seen 737s load cargo other than bags. A320s on the other hand take cargo pretty often. But that is short haul less than 2 hours for the most part.
 
Someone83
Posts: 5303
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 6:54 am

VSMUT wrote:

Short haul in Europe, I have never seen 737s load cargo other than bags. A320s on the other hand take cargo pretty often. But that is short haul less than 2 hours for the most part.


It is quite common, although of course the volumes per flight are limited. But also depends on the the type of route
 
Blerg
Posts: 4839
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 7:20 am

What's their legroom like and what kind of service is there on such a long narrowbody flight? I suppose there is IFE?

Flight time was 07 hours and 37 minutes...
 
VSMUT
Posts: 5498
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 7:25 am

Blerg wrote:
What's their legroom like and what kind of service is there on such a long narrowbody flight? I suppose there is IFE?

Flight time was 07 hours and 37 minutes...


The 737MAX-8 (and I presume it is the same on the 737MAX-9) is 32 inches in economy and 40 in business. They do have IFE.

There are some photos of the interior in this link:
https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/iceland ... al-flight/
 
LucaDiMontanari
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:37 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 am

Blerg wrote:
What's their legroom like and what kind of service is there on such a long narrowbody flight? I suppose there is IFE?

Flight time was 07 hours and 37 minutes...


Seat pitch is 31-32 inches in economy (32" in the 757) and 40" in Saga class, where the latter rather can be compared to an average US domestic first class, than to a long haul business class. Seats in Y are not the thinnest, so other airlines that fitted thinner seats may provide better leg room. On the other hand, the thicker padding comes in handy on longer flights. There is a useful neck support on 757 and 767 economy seats, however I don't know if they fitted those to the MAXies. Yes, there is IFE; it might not be the last cry but gets its job done. Not only your average content in there, but also some specific Icelandic stuff, including some obscure experimental electronic music, which gives the whole thing an extra twist. Service is buy on board, but at reasonable prices and ok quality, compared to other BOB-airlines. At least it was like that pre-Covid. Oh, and there is WiFi, costs you like €4.- per flight in Y and is complementary in Saga class.

After all not the very best airline on the planet, but still a fair value for your money in my opinion.

Here you go for some information about the Icelandair fleet:

https://www.icelandair.com/about/our-fleet/boeing-737-max/
https://www.icelandair.com/about/our-fleet/boeing-757-200/
https://www.icelandair.com/about/our-fleet/boeing-767-300/

MDC862 wrote:
Seven hours in a guppy.

That is a long time.

It's how our grandparents used to fly and they called it luxurious... Just don't look outside and imagine, that you're on board of a 707-MAX3 8-) :mrgreen:
 
Avgeek21
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:44 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 8:27 am

VSMUT wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Silk Air (Singapore Airlines now?) flies/flew the 737MAX-8 as far away as Cairns in Australia, just shy of 7 hours. When I did that flight it was a bit over 7 hours. Norwegian and Primera both did transatlantic flights on the type, and I have no recollection of those going with limited passengers. The longest 737-900ER flight is the Turkish Airlines route to Dar-Es-Salaam in Tanzania, clocking in at 7 hours. The 737NG and MAX have very big fuel tanks, going far is not as big an issue for the type as you'd think.

As for reduced payload/passenger/freight capacity, keep in mind that 737s have a small cargo hold, so can't carry big loads of cargo anyway. Icelandair doesn't have a very dense configuration either, with proper business-class recliners up front.


737s don’t have a small cargo hold compared to other narrowbodies. Without aux tanks installed (don’t know if Icelandair uses them) the 737-9 has more cargo volume than a 757-200. Without aux tanks, the 737-9 cargo hold is almost exactly the same size as the A321 (within a cubic meter)


I didn't compare it with anything. It has a small cargo hold regardless of its competition. You will be almost filling it with the passengers bags alone. It doesn't help that passengers are more likely to check in a suitcase on longer flights. These long haul narrowbodies are not cargo haulers like their widebody cousins.

Short haul in Europe, I have never seen 737s load cargo other than bags. A320s on the other hand take cargo pretty often. But that is short haul less than 2 hours for the most part.


On our 737’s we do take a lot take cargo. Everything you can think of, incl regular wooden pallets and big barrels. Plus customers bags are of a larger volume than in Europe. Very common.
 
VMCA787
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:31 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 8:46 am

VSMUT wrote:

Short haul in Europe, I have never seen 737s load cargo other than bags. A320s on the other hand take cargo pretty often. But that is short haul less than 2 hours for the most part.


That has nothing to do with the aircraft type. The driver for that is the airline itself. For example, FR doesn't have the infrastructure to handle cargo and eschews even bags in the belly as that can impact turn times.
Fly fast, live slow!
 
User avatar
SRQKEF
Posts: 1989
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 9:58 am

AirbusOnly wrote:
As far as I know, Icelandair is currently performing the first scheduled “long-haul flight” with its “new” Boeing 737 MAX 8, currently performing KEF-SEA route. https://fr24.com/ICE681/27a8ffea After the long lockdown interruption, Icelandair is slowly starting operations again. A TestFlight for the long grounded MAX 8 or will this be a regulär flight. IMAO only with reduced freight capacity and Limited passengers this distance is possible.


This will be regular. Both PDX and DEN also have some MAX flights on the schedule this summer, almost exclusively MAX in the case of PDX. From what I've heard the MAX real world performance has blown FI away, as the original plan was for it to go around 6.5 hours only with BWI and ORD/MSP being about as far as it would go Stateside.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!
 
User avatar
SRQKEF
Posts: 1989
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 10:00 am

LucaDiMontanari wrote:
Blerg wrote:
What's their legroom like and what kind of service is there on such a long narrowbody flight? I suppose there is IFE?

Flight time was 07 hours and 37 minutes...


Seat pitch is 31-32 inches in economy (32" in the 757) and 40" in Saga class, where the latter rather can be compared to an average US domestic first class, than to a long haul business class. Seats in Y are not the thinnest, so other airlines that fitted thinner seats may provide better leg room. On the other hand, the thicker padding comes in handy on longer flights. There is a useful neck support on 757 and 767 economy seats, however I don't know if they fitted those to the MAXies. Yes, there is IFE; it might not be the last cry but gets its job done. Not only your average content in there, but also some specific Icelandic stuff, including some obscure experimental electronic music, which gives the whole thing an extra twist. Service is buy on board, but at reasonable prices and ok quality, compared to other BOB-airlines. At least it was like that pre-Covid. Oh, and there is WiFi, costs you like €4.- per flight in Y and is complementary in Saga class.

After all not the very best airline on the planet, but still a fair value for your money in my opinion.

Here you go for some information about the Icelandair fleet:

https://www.icelandair.com/about/our-fleet/boeing-737-max/
https://www.icelandair.com/about/our-fleet/boeing-757-200/
https://www.icelandair.com/about/our-fleet/boeing-767-300/

MDC862 wrote:
Seven hours in a guppy.

That is a long time.

It's how our grandparents used to fly and they called it luxurious... Just don't look outside and imagine, that you're on board of a 707-MAX3 8-) :mrgreen:


The seats are the exact same as the 757/767 fleet.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!
 
ContinentalEWR
Posts: 4424
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 2:50 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 11:09 am

PHLspecial wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
Nothing new here really at all. Norwegian put its 737-MAX8s on a number of TATL flights in its heyday, including BDL-EDI, PVD and SWF routes as well. Stage lengths are 7 hours plus Westbound. AC had been flying the 319 from St. John to Heathrow for years. The 737 MAX is a troubled plane but it has the legs to do plenty of long haul. AA had it on MIA-MAO.

Is there a reason not to use the Max on TATL routes at this point if FI can run it? Like AA or UA?


You won't likely see AA or UA use the MAX on TATL. Both airlines have ordered the 321XLR, which will fill the void left vacant by the withdrawal of 757s on TATL routes to secondary and tertiary markets where the 767 and up are just too much plane. These planes will be equipped with lie-flat seats in a premium cabin, which the MAX do not have and will not get. The 737-MAX10, when it enters service at UA in a few years, will likely be used on some US transcons. As the US3 fly essentially empty planes across the Atlantic, cargo is filled to the rafters in the bellies of A330s, 767s, 787s, and 777s that they fly. The MAX's cargo capacity is an improvement over the NG 737, but can't compete with the widebody.
 
Kden95
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 12:11 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
As far as I know, Icelandair is currently performing the first scheduled “long-haul flight” with its “new” Boeing 737 MAX 8, currently performing KEF-SEA route. https://fr24.com/ICE681/27a8ffea After the long lockdown interruption, Icelandair is slowly starting operations again. A TestFlight for the long grounded MAX 8 or will this be a regulär flight. IMAO only with reduced freight capacity and Limited passengers this distance is possible.


This will be regular. Both PDX and DEN also have some MAX flights on the schedule this summer, almost exclusively MAX in the case of PDX. From what I've heard the MAX real world performance has blown FI away, as the original plan was for it to go around 6.5 hours only with BWI and ORD/MSP being about as far as it would go Stateside.


Will Denver see the Max 8 or 9?
 
FCOTSTW
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 1:40 pm

Test flight done on May 9 by a Boeing 737 MAX 9. Flight time? 7:37
 
NZ321
Posts: 1403
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 1:44 pm

VSMUT wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
As far as I know, Icelandair is currently performing the first scheduled “long-haul flight” with its “new” Boeing 737 MAX 8, currently performing KEF-SEA route. https://fr24.com/ICE681/27a8ffea After the long lockdown interruption, Icelandair is slowly starting operations again. A TestFlight for the long grounded MAX 8 or will this be a regulär flight. IMAO only with reduced freight capacity and Limited passengers this distance is possible.


Silk Air (Singapore Airlines now?) flies/flew the 737MAX-8 as far away as Cairns in Australia, just shy of 7 hours. When I did that flight it was a bit over 7 hours. Norwegian and Primera both did transatlantic flights on the type, and I have no recollection of those going with limited passengers. The longest 737-900ER flight is the Turkish Airlines route to Dar-Es-Salaam in Tanzania, clocking in at 7 hours. The 737NG and MAX have very big fuel tanks, going far is not as big an issue for the type as you'd think.

As for reduced payload/passenger/freight capacity, keep in mind that 737s have a small cargo hold, so can't carry big loads of cargo anyway. Icelandair doesn't have a very dense configuration either, with proper business-class recliners up front.


I didn't think SQ had officially returned the 737-Max to service;738s yes but Maxes? Where do you get your info?
Plane mad!
 
Weatherwatcher1
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 1:50 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Silk Air (Singapore Airlines now?) flies/flew the 737MAX-8 as far away as Cairns in Australia, just shy of 7 hours. When I did that flight it was a bit over 7 hours. Norwegian and Primera both did transatlantic flights on the type, and I have no recollection of those going with limited passengers. The longest 737-900ER flight is the Turkish Airlines route to Dar-Es-Salaam in Tanzania, clocking in at 7 hours. The 737NG and MAX have very big fuel tanks, going far is not as big an issue for the type as you'd think.

As for reduced payload/passenger/freight capacity, keep in mind that 737s have a small cargo hold, so can't carry big loads of cargo anyway. Icelandair doesn't have a very dense configuration either, with proper business-class recliners up front.


737s don’t have a small cargo hold compared to other narrowbodies. Without aux tanks installed (don’t know if Icelandair uses them) the 737-9 has more cargo volume than a 757-200. Without aux tanks, the 737-9 cargo hold is almost exactly the same size as the A321 (within a cubic meter)


I didn't compare it with anything. It has a small cargo hold regardless of its competition. You will be almost filling it with the passengers bags alone. It doesn't help that passengers are more likely to check in a suitcase on longer flights. These long haul narrowbodies are not cargo haulers like their widebody cousins.

Short haul in Europe, I have never seen 737s load cargo other than bags. A320s on the other hand take cargo pretty often. But that is short haul less than 2 hours for the most part.


Since you didn’t compare, I will. I assume Icelandair’s cargo carrying in their 737s is probably similar to KLM. AF/KLM publishes cargo carrying capability for their 737s and A320s. The 737s can take larger cargo than their A320s. The statement that the 737 has a small cargo hold is not true.

A320/A321
Image

737-900
Image

Source https://www.afklcargo.com/US/en/common/ ... /fleet.jsp
 
User avatar
FiscAutTecGarte
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 2:44 pm

there was real food on that flight. i haven't seen that in years.
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 5498
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 2:47 pm

NZ321 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Silk Air (Singapore Airlines now?) flies/flew the 737MAX-8 as far away as Cairns in Australia, just shy of 7 hours.


I didn't think SQ had officially returned the 737-Max to service;738s yes but Maxes? Where do you get your info?


I am unaware of the current status of the route in the light of Coronavirus, the integration of Silk Air into Singapore Airlines or the resumption of 737MAX service, hence the question mark. Planespotters says that 3 were transferred to the Singapore Airlines AOC last month, so Singapore Airlines 737MAX flights can't be far off if they haven't begun yet.
Last edited by VSMUT on Mon May 10, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2595
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 3:04 pm

The MAX8 is a very capable bird-don’t really see anything out of the ordinary on this route.
SunsetLimited wrote:
United is also going to fly the 7M9 on IAH-ANC, about 7 hours and 3200 miles. It’s a very capable aircraft.

CO ran a standard 738 on IAH-ANC as well. They also did NAN-HNL/GUM.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
User avatar
SRQKEF
Posts: 1989
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 3:28 pm

Kden95 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
As far as I know, Icelandair is currently performing the first scheduled “long-haul flight” with its “new” Boeing 737 MAX 8, currently performing KEF-SEA route. https://fr24.com/ICE681/27a8ffea After the long lockdown interruption, Icelandair is slowly starting operations again. A TestFlight for the long grounded MAX 8 or will this be a regulär flight. IMAO only with reduced freight capacity and Limited passengers this distance is possible.


This will be regular. Both PDX and DEN also have some MAX flights on the schedule this summer, almost exclusively MAX in the case of PDX. From what I've heard the MAX real world performance has blown FI away, as the original plan was for it to go around 6.5 hours only with BWI and ORD/MSP being about as far as it would go Stateside.


Will Denver see the Max 8 or 9?


-9, AFAIK. Not sure when it enters the schedule, I just remember seeing it there earlier this year for some dates in the summer.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!
 
737MAX7
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: First schedulded Icelandair MAX 8 flight KEF-SEA today

Mon May 10, 2021 3:49 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Silk Air (Singapore Airlines now?) flies/flew the 737MAX-8 as far away as Cairns in Australia, just shy of 7 hours. When I did that flight it was a bit over 7 hours. Norwegian and Primera both did transatlantic flights on the type, and I have no recollection of those going with limited passengers. The longest 737-900ER flight is the Turkish Airlines route to Dar-Es-Salaam in Tanzania, clocking in at 7 hours. The 737NG and MAX have very big fuel tanks, going far is not as big an issue for the type as you'd think.

As for reduced payload/passenger/freight capacity, keep in mind that 737s have a small cargo hold, so can't carry big loads of cargo anyway. Icelandair doesn't have a very dense configuration either, with proper business-class recliners up front.


737s don’t have a small cargo hold compared to other narrowbodies. Without aux tanks installed (don’t know if Icelandair uses them) the 737-9 has more cargo volume than a 757-200. Without aux tanks, the 737-9 cargo hold is almost exactly the same size as the A321 (within a cubic meter)


I didn't compare it with anything. It has a small cargo hold regardless of its competition. You will be almost filling it with the passengers bags alone. It doesn't help that passengers are more likely to check in a suitcase on longer flights. These long haul narrowbodies are not cargo haulers like their widebody cousins.

Short haul in Europe, I have never seen 737s load cargo other than bags. A320s on the other hand take cargo pretty often. But that is short haul less than 2 hours for the most part.

If you think we aren’t putting cargo on our 737’s you are sadly mistaken. We are regularly putting several thousand pounds on our birds at WN. Anything from mail to seafood to flowers and anything else in between that isn’t haz mat.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos