Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
asuflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 786
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Jetfuel shortage at CLT/Southeast

Mon May 10, 2021 9:14 pm

Following the ransomware attack on the Colonial Pipeline which delivers fuels throughout the US Southeast and Northeast, CLT Airport has apparently began experiencing a fuel shortage. While not confirmed there are rumors among staff at CLT that numerous departing flights later in the week next week from CLT will be planned with fuel stops. The first flight affected is AA 730 from CLT to LHR tomorrow which will route CLT-BOS-LHR.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/traffic/ga ... 77b34d2a6d
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 10173
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Mon May 10, 2021 9:44 pm

Colonial Pipeline says they service seven U.S. airports directly, although I haven't seen it described as exclusively (possibly another pipeline, or truck). ATL was referenced by another source as one such airport.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 23084
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Mon May 10, 2021 9:45 pm

Nashville, Charlotte, and Atlanta, per the OP link are fed by this pipeline. The storage tanks must be getting dry already...

This will be disruptive.

Lightsaber
 
777Mech
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Mon May 10, 2021 9:49 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Nashville, Charlotte, and Atlanta, per the OP link are fed by this pipeline. The storage tanks must be getting dry already...

This will be disruptive.

Lightsaber

Add BHM, GSP, BWI amongst other smaller airports as well.
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1561
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Mon May 10, 2021 9:51 pm

CLT-HNL is also having to make a fuel stop.
 
catiii
Posts: 3889
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Mon May 10, 2021 10:22 pm

asuflyer wrote:
Following the ransomware attack on the Colonial Pipeline which delivers fuels throughout the US Southeast and Northeast, CLT Airport has apparently began experiencing a fuel shortage. While not confirmed there are rumors among staff at CLT that numerous departing flights later in the week next week from CLT will be planned with fuel stops. The first flight affected is AA 730 from CLT to LHR tomorrow which will route CLT-BOS-LHR.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/traffic/ga ... 77b34d2a6d


Nothing in the article you cited says anything about a Jet A shortage at CLT. You’re posting rumor.

Mods, I hope youll correct the misleading thread title.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 4354
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 pm

catiii wrote:
asuflyer wrote:
Following the ransomware attack on the Colonial Pipeline which delivers fuels throughout the US Southeast and Northeast, CLT Airport has apparently began experiencing a fuel shortage. While not confirmed there are rumors among staff at CLT that numerous departing flights later in the week next week from CLT will be planned with fuel stops. The first flight affected is AA 730 from CLT to LHR tomorrow which will route CLT-BOS-LHR.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/traffic/ga ... 77b34d2a6d


Nothing in the article you cited says anything about a Jet A shortage at CLT. You’re posting rumor.

Mods, I hope youll correct the misleading thread title.


It is confirmed.
https://viewfromthewing.com/russian-pip ... tra-stops/
 
Oilman
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 pm

IAD is served exclusively by Colonial, too. EWR has multiple sources, but Colonial is big one.
 
User avatar
Amwest2United
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:36 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Mon May 10, 2021 10:53 pm

Sounds like AA is being proactive on the long Haul flights to conserve fuel for the near term for close in domestic flying, not sure if the tanks are running dry as mentioned above. If that is what AA is doing, I'd say that is a smart plan to save as much as they can, as long as the cost doesn't outweigh the benefits.
 
Oilman
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Mon May 10, 2021 11:19 pm

Colonial makes deliveries every five days. If a delivery was made Friday before the shutdown, tomorrow is day 4. It’s more likely a delivery was made prior to Friday and tomorrow will be day 5 or later. Many tank farms may carry 2 days of extra inventory in case the pipeline is behind. Transportation fuel supply should be getting very tight in the next few days. Plantation can backfill some of the volume, but the the transit time from Baton Rouge is several days.

Edit: I believe Colonial will be back up at reduced capacity by Friday.
 
alasizon
Posts: 3076
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 1:10 am

Oilman wrote:
Colonial makes deliveries every five days. If a delivery was made Friday before the shutdown, tomorrow is day 4. It’s more likely a delivery was made prior to Friday and tomorrow will be day 5 or later. Many tank farms may carry 2 days of extra inventory in case the pipeline is behind. Transportation fuel supply should be getting very tight in the next few days. Plantation can backfill some of the volume, but the the transit time from Baton Rouge is several days.

Edit: I believe Colonial will be back up at reduced capacity by Friday.


Plantation can only do so much - my understanding is their distillate line runs pretty near full (as does Colonial's). BWI likely also is hurting - heard on Saturday they were down to 1.5 days of fuel already as Friday was supposed to be their delivery day.

AA likely is making economical fuel stops for the longer legs to prevent wasting fuel while intra-southeast regional flying gets priority over fuel as they are getting hit on both airports if both were on Colonial's pipeline.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3608
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 1:23 am

Oilman wrote:
IAD is served exclusively by Colonial, too. EWR has multiple sources, but Colonial is big one.



United has been tankering fuel into some stations to minimize the impact on the stations fuel reserves.
 
travaz
Posts: 1134
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 1:34 am

For what it's worth, there are reports that Colonial is able to operate some lines manually. Also being reported that they will be back online by the "end of the week" I sure hope that they get this solved soon. It points out a major vulnerability in our distribution system.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/ ... are-attack
 
chrisair
Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2000 11:32 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 6:09 am

travaz wrote:
Also being reported that they will be back online by the "end of the week" I sure hope that they get this solved soon. It points out a major vulnerability in our distribution system.


How would you like to be the person who opened the bad email attachment?

Perfect “wanna get away” commercial material. :lol:
 
User avatar
vfw614
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 8:40 am

My excuses for the - most likely pretty dumb - question, but how does it work to deliver jet fuel through a pipeline?

As per wikipedia, there is "one [line] primarily devoted to gasoline and the other carrying distillate products such as jet fuel, Diesel fuel, and home heating oil." How can you deliver Diesel fuel one day and jet fuel the other day without contaminating the jet fuel? Or does "line" refer to a pipeline with several distinct lines for different categories of liquids?
 
qcpilotxf
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:10 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 11:59 am

vfw614 wrote:
My excuses for the - most likely pretty dumb - question, but how does it work to deliver jet fuel through a pipeline?

As per wikipedia, there is "one [line] primarily devoted to gasoline and the other carrying distillate products such as jet fuel, Diesel fuel, and home heating oil." How can you deliver Diesel fuel one day and jet fuel the other day without contaminating the jet fuel? Or does "line" refer to a pipeline with several distinct lines for different categories of liquids?


Jet Fuel, Heating Oil, and Diesel are considered "Derivatives" of each other so they can normally cross paths with each other without any major contamination taking place
 
MohawkWeekend
Posts: 1063
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 12:25 pm

From an industry website - ww.aboutpipelines.com/en/blog/how-pipeline-operators-make-the-best-use-of-scarce-pipeline-space/. There is just one pipe.

" Here are three important steps involved in transporting batched products:

The customer schedules the quantity of the product to be transported in batches along the pipeline.
The pipeline operator confirms product specifications and measures the product by density at the receipt and delivery points.
A ticket is used to show the type of product, which customer it belongs to, the amount, and the time and location where the shipment originated and terminated.

One of the key factors in batching is limiting the amount of product that’s mixed in with other products. Any mixed products must be placed in a separate tank and reprocessed to separate. Some pipeline systems use a batch mechanism, called a ‘pipeline pig’, to separate individual parcels"
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 10173
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 12:32 pm

vfw614 wrote:
My excuses for the - most likely pretty dumb - question, but how does it work to deliver jet fuel through a pipeline?

As per wikipedia, there is "one [line] primarily devoted to gasoline and the other carrying distillate products such as jet fuel, Diesel fuel, and home heating oil." How can you deliver Diesel fuel one day and jet fuel the other day without contaminating the jet fuel?


It can be done within one pipe. The products have different viscosities and densities. The pipeline operator also knows flow rate through the pipe and can predict that the jet fuel will get to Nashville at 8:03pm and be complete at 8:27pm... There are also (typically) reprocessing facilities at the arrival point such that products mixed to a small degree can be separated.

Added: Colonial is a high-capacity pipeline. If we use AA's systemwide daily fuel burn in 2019, Colonial can carry more than 10x that.
Last edited by MIflyer12 on Tue May 11, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Tan Flyr
Posts: 1749
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2000 11:07 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 12:32 pm

qcpilotxf wrote:
vfw614 wrote:
My excuses for the - most likely pretty dumb - question, but how does it work to deliver jet fuel through a pipeline?

As per wikipedia, there is "one [line] primarily devoted to gasoline and the other carrying distillate products such as jet fuel, Diesel fuel, and home heating oil." How can you deliver Diesel fuel one day and jet fuel the other day without contaminating the jet fuel? Or does "line" refer to a pipeline with several distinct lines for different categories of liquids?


Jet Fuel, Heating Oil, and Diesel are considered "Derivatives" of each other so they can normally cross paths with each other without any major contamination taking place


A college buddy is in the fuels business..and described it like this..it is like a sandwich..X thousands of barrels of Jet-A, then Diesel, then say fuel oils, all under pressure so minimal bleeding into each other. Each batched is timed as well as ID'd in the line somehow as well. AS another poster indicated it takes several days for product to move from Louisiana to the NE..product moves at around 10-12 mph. so, it is timed as to when a "batch" is cut out of the main pipelines into a terminal storage facility either at an airport or other ones serving numerous fuel needs.

Hope this helped.
 
bkflyguy
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 1:26 pm

I believe they also put a pig (basically a plug) between different products, but I could be wrong. They also have pigs with sensors that they use to inspect the pipeline.
 
JohanTally
Posts: 453
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 1:35 pm

MohawkWeekend wrote:
From an industry website - ww.aboutpipelines.com/en/blog/how-pipeline-operators-make-the-best-use-of-scarce-pipeline-space/. There is just one pipe.

" Here are three important steps involved in transporting batched products:

The customer schedules the quantity of the product to be transported in batches along the pipeline.
The pipeline operator confirms product specifications and measures the product by density at the receipt and delivery points.
A ticket is used to show the type of product, which customer it belongs to, the amount, and the time and location where the shipment originated and terminated.

One of the key factors in batching is limiting the amount of product that’s mixed in with other products. Any mixed products must be placed in a separate tank and reprocessed to separate. Some pipeline systems use a batch mechanism, called a ‘pipeline pig’, to separate individual parcels"

What about when 1.2 million gallons go missing in Huntersville NC and the news doesn't even hardly cover it?

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/local ... 75d0573f2e
 
User avatar
vfw614
Posts: 4069
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 2:39 pm

Thanks for all the great explanations. Fascinating.

I guess it is for a reason that I have not become an engineer....
 
IADCA
Posts: 2406
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 6:25 pm

777Mech wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Nashville, Charlotte, and Atlanta, per the OP link are fed by this pipeline. The storage tanks must be getting dry already...

This will be disruptive.

Lightsaber

Add BHM, GSP, BWI amongst other smaller airports as well.


If you include the branch lines (which you must if BNA is included) and the supply north of GSO, add CHA, TYS, RDU, RIC, ORF as well. Some of those have backup (or even better) service from Plantation, but they'll all be affected to some degree.

bkflyguy wrote:
I believe they also put a pig (basically a plug) between different products, but I could be wrong. They also have pigs with sensors that they use to inspect the pipeline.


They don't. Colonial shipments come off with transmix.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4730
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 7:33 pm

Will the situation get bad enough that long haul aircraft have to tanker in fuel for short haul aircraft?

A few years ago the pipe to Auckland was cut (rogue digger operator digging where they shouldn't have) and the fuel supply dried up very quickly. Early every morning Qantas was sending over a 747-400ER full of fuel. On arrival they would be defuelled with the fuel being loaded into Jetconnect 737-800s and Jetstar A320s so that those aircraft could fly their schedules. A Qantas A330 would arrive later in the day to do the same.

Air New Zealand did the same with 777s flying specifically from CHC/WLG to tanker in fuel. Flights arriving from North America would make fuel stops in NAN/PPT to do the same. IIRC this had the inadvertent consequence of causing a similar shortage in Fiji, where the fuel gets shipped in.

I hate to think how much this costs, but presumably it's less than the cost of cancelling all the flights.


Tan Flyr wrote:

A college buddy is in the fuels business..and described it like this..it is like a sandwich..X thousands of barrels of Jet-A, then Diesel, then say fuel oils, all under pressure so minimal bleeding into each other. Each batched is timed as well as ID'd in the line somehow as well. AS another poster indicated it takes several days for product to move from Louisiana to the NE..product moves at around 10-12 mph. so, it is timed as to when a "batch" is cut out of the main pipelines into a terminal storage facility either at an airport or other ones serving numerous fuel needs.

Hope this helped.


That was indeed very interesting and helpful. Cheers.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 10173
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 pm

zkojq wrote:
Will the situation get bad enough that long haul aircraft have to tanker in fuel for short haul aircraft?


That's probably avoidable. After all, a lot of short-haul routes from CLT are short enough that they could just fill to fly XXX-CLT-XXX.

On the matter of other AA ops, does PHL have a direct pipeline connection to Delta's Trainer, Pennsylvania, refinery?
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 4354
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 8:27 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
Will the situation get bad enough that long haul aircraft have to tanker in fuel for short haul aircraft?


That's probably avoidable. After all, a lot of short-haul routes from CLT are short enough that they could just fill to fly XXX-CLT-XXX.

On the matter of other AA ops, does PHL have a direct pipeline connection to Delta's Trainer, Pennsylvania, refinery?


PHL is largest airport in the world without in-ground fueling.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4797
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 8:57 pm

vfw614 wrote:
Thanks for all the great explanations. Fascinating.

I guess it is for a reason that I have not become an engineer....


I used to work at a tank farm, and posted about it several months ago. Read more here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1457189&p=22649145#p22627595
 
travaz
Posts: 1134
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 8:59 pm

If they have to start hauling fuel by truck this is the capacity of tanker trucks. Jet fuel is 6.8 lbs per gallon

Tanker trucks are equipped with a pumping system for loading and off-loading liquids. The capacity is usually controlled by the 80,000 lb gross weight limit for trucks in the US. Small tanker trucks have a maximum capacity of 3,000 gallons, while large tankers have a maximum capacity of 11,600 gallons.
The weight of a semi truck and trailer is 35,000 on average giving the tank a useful load of 45,000 Lbs. 45,000 divided by 6.8 gives a load of 6600 gallons of Jet A
 
Oilman
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 9:12 pm

travaz wrote:
If they have to start hauling fuel by truck this is the capacity of tanker trucks. Jet fuel is 6.8 lbs per gallon

Tanker trucks are equipped with a pumping system for loading and off-loading liquids. The capacity is usually controlled by the 80,000 lb gross weight limit for trucks in the US. Small tanker trucks have a maximum capacity of 3,000 gallons, while large tankers have a maximum capacity of 11,600 gallons.


Most on road tankers in the US are 7,000 to 8,000 gallons. I’ve only seen 10,000 or 11,000 gallon trucks in the Mideast.

Also, the question about pipelines commingling jet and diesel was not dumb. It’s complicated. The pipeline needs to operate with turbulent flow (high Reynolds number) to minimize mixing at the interfaces. Jet fuel is normally preceded and followed by heating oil. Operators can tell the difference between jet and heating oil via real time readings of specific gravity. The mixing at the interface is pulled out and re-refined or blended into the heating oil. The blending option is getting harder as jet fuel is high sulphur and heating oil sulphur levels are being mandated lower. Most pipelines don’t use spheres (pigs are something different) because they are expensive to handle and ship from the end of the line to the beginning.
 
travaz
Posts: 1134
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 pm

@oilman
I have been told that the pipeline from Texas to Tucson uses water plugs between products. I think (but don't know) that all they ship is Gasoline and separate the grades with water.
 
737MAX7
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 9:27 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Nashville, Charlotte, and Atlanta, per the OP link are fed by this pipeline. The storage tanks must be getting dry already...

This will be disruptive.

Lightsaber

I can confirm they are getting a tad nervous at BNA because agents are being told absolutely NO tankering of fuel out of here.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3608
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 9:34 pm

zkojq wrote:
Will the situation get bad enough that long haul aircraft have to tanker in fuel for short haul aircraft?


I don't think the situation will get to the point where widebody aircraft will need to tanker that much fuel in the way that you are describing. First the airline would need tanker trucks which isn't a problem however the risk of a fuel imbalance is real when you are talking about defueling an aircraft. I've been out of the field operations for a few years now here with United but for the 18 years I spent at ORD on the ramp defueling an aircraft especially a widebody was done as a absolute last resort because at least 50% of the time the fuelers would put the aircraft out of balance.

What United has been doing at impacted airports is we have been tankering double the fuel, and in cases where safety allows and we are not exceed the max landing weight of the aircraft we are tankering nearly triple the amount of fuel needed to operate the flight so we don't have to refuel the aircraft at the impacted station.

Tankering fuel on narrowbodies for UA is the preferred option say for example in UA's case ORD-XXX-ORD we are now tankering at minimum roundtrip fuel out of ORD just as an example.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 10173
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Tue May 11, 2021 10:34 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
Will the situation get bad enough that long haul aircraft have to tanker in fuel for short haul aircraft?


That's probably avoidable. After all, a lot of short-haul routes from CLT are short enough that they could just fill to fly XXX-CLT-XXX.

On the matter of other AA ops, does PHL have a direct pipeline connection to Delta's Trainer, Pennsylvania, refinery?


PHL is largest airport in the world without in-ground fueling.


That doesn't sound like a point of pride, really. I suppose there's plenty of tank storage nearby. Thanks for that info.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 23084
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Wed May 12, 2021 12:21 am

I expanded the thread topic to the natural conversation.

IADCA wrote:
777Mech wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Nashville, Charlotte, and Atlanta, per the OP link are fed by this pipeline. The storage tanks must be getting dry already...

This will be disruptive.

Lightsaber

Add BHM, GSP, BWI amongst other smaller airports as well.


If you include the branch lines (which you must if BNA is included) and the supply north of GSO, add CHA, TYS, RDU, RIC, ORF as well. Some of those have backup (or even better) service from Plantation, but they'll all be affected to some degree.

bkflyguy wrote:
I believe they also put a pig (basically a plug) between different products, but I could be wrong. They also have pigs with sensors that they use to inspect the pipeline.


They don't. Colonial shipments come off with transmix.

I didn't realize how many other airports would be included.

Oh my...

This could impact the region.

Lightsaber
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT/Southeast

Wed May 12, 2021 12:34 am

This is right on the edge of turning into a real mess. Hopefully the oil workers can put in overtime and get this sorted out by end of week.
 
cbphoto
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:23 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT/Southeast

Wed May 12, 2021 12:38 am

We tankered a large amount coming into AVL last night as well, which seems to be affected as well.
 
IADCA
Posts: 2406
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Wed May 12, 2021 1:52 am

lightsaber wrote:
I expanded the thread topic to the natural conversation.

IADCA wrote:
777Mech wrote:
Add BHM, GSP, BWI amongst other smaller airports as well.


If you include the branch lines (which you must if BNA is included) and the supply north of GSO, add CHA, TYS, RDU, RIC, ORF as well. Some of those have backup (or even better) service from Plantation, but they'll all be affected to some degree.

bkflyguy wrote:
I believe they also put a pig (basically a plug) between different products, but I could be wrong. They also have pigs with sensors that they use to inspect the pipeline.


They don't. Colonial shipments come off with transmix.

I didn't realize how many other airports would be included.

Oh my...

This could impact the region.

Lightsaber


It's already impacting the region on the retail gasoline side in a big way. Airports and airlines are much better equipped to deal with this than the average Joe, and that's especially true at smaller airports served mostly by short RJ flights. For CHA, for example, almost every flight there is served with a stage length/equipment combo that should allow fuel to be tankered in (although query where you buy fuel for ATL-CHA-ATL; both ends of the route are affected). The real pain would be at places that don't have any alternative pipe besides Colonial and also have route profiles that don't lend themselves to workarounds.

travaz wrote:
@oilman
I have been told that the pipeline from Texas to Tucson uses water plugs between products. I think (but don't know) that all they ship is Gasoline and separate the grades with water.


Colonial doesn't do that.
Last edited by IADCA on Wed May 12, 2021 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
NLINK
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:20 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Wed May 12, 2021 2:08 am

lightsaber wrote:
I expanded the thread topic to the natural conversation.

IADCA wrote:
777Mech wrote:
Add BHM, GSP, BWI amongst other smaller airports as well.


If you include the branch lines (which you must if BNA is included) and the supply north of GSO, add CHA, TYS, RDU, RIC, ORF as well. Some of those have backup (or even better) service from Plantation, but they'll all be affected to some degree.

bkflyguy wrote:
I believe they also put a pig (basically a plug) between different products, but I could be wrong. They also have pigs with sensors that they use to inspect the pipeline.


They don't. Colonial shipments come off with transmix.

I didn't realize how many other airports would be included.

Oh my...

This could impact the region.

Lightsaber



This link is not aviation related but gives you a good idea the pipeline route and branches off of it. Could cause some major headaches.

https://www.worldoil.com/news/2021/5/9/ ... e-pipeline
 
Nashville
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:18 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Wed May 12, 2021 3:01 am

IADCA wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
I expanded the thread topic to the natural conversation.

IADCA wrote:

If you include the branch lines (which you must if BNA is included) and the supply north of GSO, add CHA, TYS, RDU, RIC, ORF as well. Some of those have backup (or even better) service from Plantation, but they'll all be affected to some degree.



They don't. Colonial shipments come off with transmix.

I didn't realize how many other airports would be included.

Oh my...

This could impact the region.

Lightsaber


It's already impacting the region on the retail gasoline side in a big way. Airports and airlines are much better equipped to deal with this than the average Joe, and that's especially true at smaller airports served mostly by short RJ flights. For CHA, for example, almost every flight there is served with a stage length/equipment combo that should allow fuel to be tankered in (although query where you buy fuel for ATL-CHA-ATL; both ends of the route are affected). The real pain would be at places that don't have any alternative pipe besides Colonial and also have route profiles that don't lend themselves to workarounds.

travaz wrote:
@oilman
I have been told that the pipeline from Texas to Tucson uses water plugs between products. I think (but don't know) that all they ship is Gasoline and separate the grades with water.


Colonial doesn't do that.


They don’t even ‘pipeline’ E-10 regular gas. The ethanol is added prior to point of use.
Ethanol tends to absorb water
 
FlyingSicilian
Posts: 1675
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT/Southeast

Wed May 12, 2021 5:02 am

While the pipeline runs from Houston to just outside NYC the biggest trunk runs from Houston to North Carolina but has not been full for months on weak US gas demand. Refineries in SE are getting product to it today but it is not moving yet. Give it a few more days.
 
DaCubbyBearBar
Posts: 394
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT/Southeast

Wed May 12, 2021 8:41 am

I would think that SWA would be nervous with BWI BNA and ATL in the 7 airports effected. All 3 have rather larger operations. But DL at ATL would be the biggest concern. I suppose most could be fueled at the outer stations to make it through ATL. We shall see
 
KarlB737
Posts: 2951
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:51 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT/Southeast

Wed May 12, 2021 12:22 pm

Courtesy: The Hill

Airlines start to feel Colonial Pipeline pinch

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/552965-airlines-start-to-feel-colonial-pipeline-pinch
 
Oilman
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Wed May 12, 2021 12:42 pm

travaz wrote:
@oilman
I have been told that the pipeline from Texas to Tucson uses water plugs between products. I think (but don't know) that all they ship is Gasoline and separate the grades with water.


The spheres I mentioned that some pipelines use to separate fuels can be filled with water. It’s possible the Texas to Tucson pipeline does that. A pipeline that does use spheres is Explorer, which runs Houston to Chicago. Colonial does not use spheres.

As of this morning, Colonial has some of their system up some of the time. The main lines (Houston to Greensboro) are still down.

Also, no pipeline runs Ethanol through it as said earlier. Biodiesel is not allowed either. Renewable diesel (biodiesel that has been hydrotreated) is commingled with normal diesel.
 
travaz
Posts: 1134
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Wed May 12, 2021 2:54 pm

Oilman wrote:
travaz wrote:
@oilman
I have been told that the pipeline from Texas to Tucson uses water plugs between products. I think (but don't know) that all they ship is Gasoline and separate the grades with water.


The spheres I mentioned that some pipelines use to separate fuels can be filled with water. It’s possible the Texas to Tucson pipeline does that. A pipeline that does use spheres is Explorer, which runs Houston to Chicago. Colonial does not use spheres.

As of this morning, Colonial has some of their system up some of the time. The main lines (Houston to Greensboro) are still down.

Also, no pipeline runs Ethanol through it as said earlier. Biodiesel is not allowed either. Renewable diesel (biodiesel that has been hydrotreated) is commingled with normal diesel.


Thank You. Its fascinating information to me.
 
Oilman
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT/Southeast

Wed May 12, 2021 11:05 pm

Colonial Pipeline is back up. I expect things to normalize by the end of next week.
 
gwrudolph
Posts: 580
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT

Wed May 12, 2021 11:24 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
Will the situation get bad enough that long haul aircraft have to tanker in fuel for short haul aircraft?


That's probably avoidable. After all, a lot of short-haul routes from CLT are short enough that they could just fill to fly XXX-CLT-XXX.

On the matter of other AA ops, does PHL have a direct pipeline connection to Delta's Trainer, Pennsylvania, refinery?


PHL is largest airport in the world without in-ground fueling.


It did in the past. Did something change over the years?
 
travaz
Posts: 1134
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT/Southeast

Thu May 13, 2021 1:46 am

Oilman wrote:
Colonial Pipeline is back up. I expect things to normalize by the end of next week.



This is good news.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5240
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT/Southeast

Thu May 13, 2021 11:23 am

I think the airports will normalize way earlier then the gas pumps too. The hoarding will continue until people feel it's really over over ie toilet paper and clorox wipes earlier this year.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15358
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT/Southeast

Thu May 13, 2021 1:11 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I think the airports will normalize way earlier then the gas pumps too. The hoarding will continue until people feel it's really over over ie toilet paper and clorox wipes earlier this year.


This is anecdotal for sure, but I was out last night (in Nashville) and didn't see a single station that had gas. This morning it seemed like about 50 percent did and those that did were perhaps a bit busier than normal but didn't have lines. I'm cautiously optimistic that' we'll be back in business on the retail side by the end of the weekend, although Nashville isn't as Colonial-dependent as markets to our south and east.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 23084
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Jetfuel shortage at CLT/Southeast

Thu May 13, 2021 2:43 pm

This puts into perspective how down demand was. Jones act tankers (coastal) are mothballed. It isn't worth the cost to prepare one out if mothballs for less than a contract of a few months (maintenance and crew costs).
https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/ar ... ontext=amp

There is a lot of cost left to restart the fuel supply system.
. Lightsaber

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos