Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HowardDGA
Topic Author

LAX West End Terminal Question

Tue May 11, 2021 6:56 pm

What are the terminals around lat/long 33.9445, -118.4296? Charters? Looks like a long bus ride from the main terminal area.

ScottB

Re: LAX West End Terminal Question

Tue May 11, 2021 7:02 pm

Remote bus gates. TBIT hasn't had enough contact gates at peak times for many years, so these gates have been used. MSC should help reduce the use of these.

rjbesikof

Wed May 12, 2021 2:55 am

ScottB wrote:
Remote bus gates. TBIT hasn't had enough contact gates at peak times for many years, so these gates have been used. MSC should help reduce the use of these.

Who will use the West Remote Gates when traffic significantly picks up now that MSC is prepping to open?

AAlaxfan

Wed May 12, 2021 4:01 am

I thought I read somewhere that the remote gates were going to be torn down and be replaced by a new AA super bay hanger. Then the current AA hanger would be torn down and replaced by the permanent MSC south.
My favorite airport is the one I'm flying to! :airplane:

n901wa

Wed May 12, 2021 4:41 am

From what i understood, When United new HGR is done, AA new HGR is going to be built where the ExCAL/UA HGR is sitting. I believe the Remote gates are staying.

portola2727

Wed May 12, 2021 3:23 pm

n901wa wrote:
From what i understood, When United new HGR is done, AA new HGR is going to be built where the ExCAL/UA HGR is sitting. I believe the Remote gates are staying.

No, that area is for the future T9 that LAX will build. I think AA's new LAX hangar will be where the West Gates are. I read somewhere that LAX plans to have all hangars near the west end of the airport.

gregn21

Wed May 12, 2021 5:12 pm

portola2727 wrote:
n901wa wrote:

No, that area is for the future T9 that LAX will build. I think AA's new LAX hangar will be where the West Gates are. I read somewhere that LAX plans to have all hangars near the west end of the airport.

I think you’re confusing the location of UA’s current hangar with their cargo facility. The old CO, currently UA hangar he is referencing is west of the AA’s current superbay hangar. In order of events:

1. Complete UA’s new hangar on the east end of the airfield along Century blvd.

2. Build a temporary addition to the MSC north, which will house RJ gates for AA Eagle. They will move out of their current facility just east of Sepulveda blvd to move here during the ongoing carrier/terminal realignment.

3. Build Terminal 9 to occupy the space between the new UA hangar and the Sepulveda blvd tunnel, where the Eagle satellite and a handful of carriers’ cargo facilities are currently located.

4. Demolish the old CO, current UA hangar, where a new hangar facility will be built for/by AA.

5. AA, moves to their new facility and the current AA superbay is demolished.

6. AA will be allotted the entirety of T5. Eagle will move out of their temporary facility and into T5.

7. The temporary MSC/Eagle addition will be demolished to make way for a true MSC south extension, as the concourse was initially designed.

N62NA

Wed May 12, 2021 5:56 pm

gregn21 wrote:
portola2727 wrote:
n901wa wrote:

I think you’re confusing the location of UA’s current hangar with their cargo facility. The old CO, currently UA hangar he is referencing is west of the AA’s current superbay hangar. In order of events:

2. Build a temporary addition to the MSC north, which will house RJ gates for AA Eagle. They will move out of their current facility just east of Sepulveda blvd to move here during the ongoing carrier/terminal realignment.

3. Build Terminal 9 to occupy the space between the new UA hangar and the Sepulveda blvd tunnel, where the Eagle satellite and a handful of carriers’ cargo facilities are currently located.

4. Demolish the old CO, current UA hangar, where a new hangar facility will be built for/by AA.

6. AA will be allotted the entirety of T5. Eagle will move out of their temporary facility and into T5.

7. The temporary MSC/Eagle addition will be demolished to make way for a true MSC south extension, as the concourse was initially designed.

Thanks for clarifying.

gaystudpilot

Wed May 12, 2021 6:46 pm

gregn21 wrote:
portola2727 wrote:
n901wa wrote:

When complete, how many gates will AA and DL have?

WALmsp

Wed May 12, 2021 7:07 pm

Lots of musical chairs/hanger rearranging. Qantas moved to the far west side of the airport to make way for the MSC. Delta moves out of the old WAL/DL hanger to make room for T9, and moves next-door to Qantas. UA moves to Century Boulevard and AA moves over to the old CO/UA site. When the music stops, everybody should have a seat.
In memory of my Dad, Robert "Bob" Fenrich, WAL 1964-1979, MSP ONT LAX

n901wa

Thu May 13, 2021 6:54 am

WALmsp, I do miss being at the WAL HGR. I grew up in that HGR when my dad wok outside line. I do like the location of our new HGR, and one thing I won't miss is trying to drive down Century to get to work during the Holidays. Drove by the Old WAL HGR area yesterday and the Rail goes right thru where my office use to be in the 3rd floor of the HGR. .

atlflyer

Thu May 13, 2021 2:29 pm

gregn21 wrote:
portola2727 wrote:
n901wa wrote:

Wow. That is quite the moving around. Do you know if the new MSC/West Gates South that will house international carriers as well be ready for 2028 Olympics?

WALmsp

Thu May 13, 2021 5:13 pm

n901wa wrote:
WALmsp, I do miss being at the WAL HGR. I grew up in that HGR when my dad wok outside line. I do like the location of our new HGR, and one thing I won't miss is trying to drive down Century to get to work during the Holidays. Drove by the Old WAL HGR area yesterday and the Rail goes right thru where my office use to be in the 3rd floor of the HGR. .

My father worked in the administrative offices above the check-in/baggage claim at T5. As a kid, I remember visiting Santa Claus in the hanger, the Fifty-Fair celebration in 1976, and taking the employee bus from the hangar to the terminal! I know things change over time but I am sad to see all the remnants of Western disappearing.

n901wa

Fri May 14, 2021 4:54 am

WALmsp, I was there at the Fifty-Fair as a kid. We just got transferred from HNL. I think there was a Boeing 247 and I remember the M2. Oh yeah I remember the Crew bus, was so funny when I started in LAX and had to ride it to the line. My dad use to take my brother and myself to work and get to walk around the HGR. from then on I wanted to work there. I still remember the plastic stockings we got at the Christmas party. The small 1/4th M2 is sitting in the Delta museum in ATL. I miss Wally too. I wish I could post pics here. I took a bunch before the merger and before we closed the HGR down.

dalmit

Fri May 14, 2021 12:48 pm

n901wa wrote:
WALmsp, I was there at the Fifty-Fair as a kid. We just got transferred from HNL. I think there was a Boeing 247 and I remember the M2. Oh yeah I remember the Crew bus, was so funny when I started in LAX and had to ride it to the line. My dad use to take my brother and myself to work and get to walk around the HGR. from then on I wanted to work there. I still remember the plastic stockings we got at the Christmas party. The small 1/4th M2 is sitting in the Delta museum in ATL. I miss Wally too. I wish I could post pics here. I took a bunch before the merger and before we closed the HGR down.

I would love to see those pictures. You can post them for free on imgur.com and then just include the link on your airliners post. Easy Peasy.

WALmsp

Fri May 14, 2021 5:37 pm

I have one photo on my Flickr account but it doesn't seem to upload here, so here is a link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ericonaro ... ed-public/

n901wa

Fri May 14, 2021 6:00 pm

Thanks dalmit, I'll try that.
WALmsp, Wow, that brought back so much memories!!! I still remember that day!! Wow. The Only Wat to Fly!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos