Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ScroogeMcDuck
Topic Author

DL wins JD Power award for best North American airline

Wed May 12, 2021 11:45 am

https://www.ajc.com/news/business/delta ... MHUFJXB7E/

CEO Ed Bastian and his predecessor, Richard Anderson, have made getting this award a corporate goal for the past 10+ years. All employees are receiving two positive space passes as a thank you. Congratulations to DL!

ScroogeMcDuck
Topic Author

Re: DL wins JD Power award for best North American airline

Wed May 12, 2021 11:55 am

From the article, here are the scores:

J.D. Power 2021 North America Airline Satisfaction Study ranking

(Scores based on a 1,000-point scale)

1. Delta (860)

2. Southwest (856)

3. Alaska (850)

4. JetBlue (849)

5. United (810)

6. American (791)

7. Air Canada (759)

USAirALB

Wed May 12, 2021 12:17 pm

I say this as someone who is an AA Elite member and almost exclusively flies AA, but DL runs a tight ship.

I flew them twice this year (PHX-DTW-DCA and LAX-MSP-DCA, all in Y) and while the service was quite good I was shocked by the gusto and enthusiasm of their employees. Every single individual I encountered was extremely friendly and outgoing and seemed to actively enjoy their jobs and actually want to be there. On both my LAX-MSP and MSP-DCA segments the lead flight attendant actually went around to every SkyMiles member onboard (not just Medallion members) and thanked them by name and asked if he could get them anything. I was stunned. On the LAX-MSP segment, when he came to me I told him that I was an AA Elite member and I really appreciated everyone's work, and that in all my flying the past year with AA I haven't received a token of appreciation. He appreciated the comment, and then returned about 10 minutes later telling me he was depositing miles into my account (he said if anyone asks lie and say you had a broken IFE monitor) to entice me to switch to DL. Could that have happened on AA or UA? Maybe, but the experience on these segments, along with those the last time I flew DL (in 2018) were superb.

Their policies, like their commitment to IFE, having 9-abreast on their now retired 777s, serving meals on a number of transcon routes in Y pre-pandemic (versus AA only doing JFK-LAX/SFO) all give off the impression that they care at least somewhat about their passengers's experience.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

MIflyer12

Wed May 12, 2021 12:18 pm

The JD Power press release: https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study

There is a significant process change:

Unlike in previous years, the 2021 study ranked all airlines together, rather than distinguishing between “traditional” airlines and low-cost carriers.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/airline-r ... -jd-power/

The JD Power graphics out so far don't show carriers ranking below Air Canada. I'm guessing AC isn't really the bottom of the barrel - irrespective of refund intransigence.

777luver

Wed May 12, 2021 12:44 pm

Congrats to DL!

Embarrassing for AC.....

Boeing757100

Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 pm

As a Delta fan, I am ecstatic! Congratulations DL!!!!! :D

How come this year, the study didn't distinguish between LC and legacy? They did that before?
Going to ATL airport in 2019 is like being in 2013
Going to ATL airport in 2010 is like being in 2000
Going to ATL airport in 1998 is like being in 1988
Going to ATL airport in 2035 is like watching paint dry

N766UA

Wed May 12, 2021 1:03 pm

Interesting to see DL, AS, WN, and B6 within just a few points of each other, while UA and AA lagging by quite a bit. That certainly checks with my experiences…

777luver

Wed May 12, 2021 1:09 pm

How much weight does this survey have?

WN732

Wed May 12, 2021 1:30 pm

N766UA wrote:
Interesting to see DL, AS, WN, and B6 within just a few points of each other, while UA and AA lagging by quite a bit. That certainly checks with my experiences…

Yup! I avoid the latter two as much as possible.

BC77008

Wed May 12, 2021 1:50 pm

N766UA wrote:

When one considers the fact that these numbers are based on a 1,000 point scale, they all scored within spitting distance of one another.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

Pi7472000

Wed May 12, 2021 2:07 pm

Great job Delta!!! You can tell the difference in their service!! The FAs are amazing and the soft and hard products are so much better than a competitor like American!! So much fun to fly with Delta. I am glad to see UA trying to emulate Delta. American is going the opposite of Delta.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed May 12, 2021 2:07 pm

I think I know how this thread is going to go, and it will turn into the usual fanboys vs. haters bickering.

The reality is that I'm not surprised, and frankly they better have been on top this year. The survey timeframe was Aug 2020-March 2021.
With DL and the middle seat blocking, it made flying a lot more comfortable on-board, and for those who were flying the perception of better health/safety.
On top of that with less people flying, the challenges and scrums of boarding/deplaning, lack of overhead bin space, and all the other annoyances with mass-travel and crowded planes/airports were non-existent during this timeframe. Frankly, the majority of those traveling during this time wouldn't care about in-flight service, and with non-existant international travel it was all mostly relatively short/medium length domestic travel.

At the end of the day, its just one of many surveys. The results can be publicized as a marketing/advertising tool. Everyone is going to have individual unique experiences. But leave it at that and accept it for what it is. Everyone is going to have an opinion and debate this until the cows come home, but this result/award is not an end-all, be-all that DL is always the best airline for everyone to travel, all the time, and always have the best experience. They do a good job most of the time, but so do the others as well.

airbazar

Wed May 12, 2021 2:13 pm

It's funny because these rankings are extremely subjective and yet there seems to be a consensus about DL. I don't fly DL often but when I have I have had nothing but a great experience. I don't care for the bubbly personality of the WN and B6 personnel which to me comes across as fake and at times unprofessional but I understand that plenty of people like that style. DL and UA have been my top 2 favorite domestic airlines for a long time now. I like their products and their employees strke a nice balance between being pleasant and professional.

ElPistolero

Wed May 12, 2021 2:34 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
The JD Power press release: https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study

There is a significant process change:

Unlike in previous years, the 2021 study ranked all airlines together, rather than distinguishing between “traditional” airlines and low-cost carriers.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/airline-r ... -jd-power/

The JD Power graphics out so far don't show carriers ranking below Air Canada. I'm guessing AC isn't really the bottom of the barrel - irrespective of refund intransigence.

Forbes is saying the opposite, so not sure who’s correct:

“U.S. no-frills ultra-low cost carriers, Spirit, Allegiant and Frontier were scored in a separate category.“

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielreed ... a1d26624b7

In addition, the 2020 rankings mixed “traditional” and ULCCs.

North America:

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study

International (note inclusion of DY)

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study

Correct that AC may not be bottom of the barrel - Frontier and Spirit (and UA in 1/2 NA categories and 1/2 International categories) did worse in 2020. That said, AC seems to trend closer to ULCCs in general, and below “average” across the board.

On the US side, UA seems to be the most erratic of the lot - a mix of average and below average.

Anywho, just a matter of time before Skytrax knocks DL off its perch. Unless DL has engaged in some sky track consulting this year. Or others haven’t.

Cubsrule

Wed May 12, 2021 2:39 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
Correct that AC may not be bottom of the barrel - Frontier and Spirit (and UA in 1/2 NA categories and 1/2 International categories) did worse in 2020. That said, AC seems to trend closer to ULCCs in general, and below “average” across the board.

I would have expected AC to get at least somewhat of a bump from their relatively generous approach to COVID-19 changes. I cancelled a nonrefundable ticket a few days before the scheduled flight in March 2020, and I received a no questions asked, transferable, non-expiring voucher. They've now agreed to convert those vouchers into refunds.

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
The reality is that I'm not surprised, and frankly they better have been on top this year. The survey timeframe was Aug 2020-March 2021.
With DL and the middle seat blocking, it made flying a lot more comfortable on-board, and for those who were flying the perception of better health/safety.
On top of that with less people flying, the challenges and scrums of boarding/deplaning, lack of overhead bin space, and all the other annoyances with mass-travel and crowded planes/airports were non-existent during this timeframe. Frankly, the majority of those traveling during this time wouldn't care about in-flight service, and with non-existant international travel it was all mostly relatively short/medium length domestic travel.

I think you're right. For me the biggest downside to flying DL is the rugby scrum that is almost every connection at ATL, and that has been a non-issue during the pandemic.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MIflyer12

Wed May 12, 2021 2:39 pm

BC77008 wrote:
N766UA wrote:

When one considers the fact that these numbers are based on a 1,000 point scale, they all scored within spitting distance of one another.

There are statistical techniques taught to college freshmen to parse out meaningful statistical differences. One can't say 'It's just a fifty-point difference on a 1000-point scale - there's no difference between Delta and United.'

flybaurlax

Wed May 12, 2021 2:42 pm

777luver wrote:

It's really about advertising power - I nor others that I know (friends or family) have ever purchased products/services because of JD Power Award influence. As an AS employee, congrats to DL! They have made it their priority to win it from AS for years now. I feel it's good to be humbled from time to time.

Looking forward to next year's competition!
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

airportugal310

Wed May 12, 2021 2:54 pm

flybaurlax wrote:
777luver wrote:

It's really about advertising power - I nor others that I know (friends or family) have ever purchased products/services because of JD Power Award influence. As an AS employee, congrats to DL! They have made it their priority to win it from AS for years now. I feel it's good to be humbled from time to time.

Agreed. The only item I might ever consider buying based on an award like that is a car. An airplane ticket? Nah...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

micstatic

Wed May 12, 2021 3:13 pm

777luver wrote:

JD Power in my opinion has always been reputable unlike say Skytrax

ElPistolero

Wed May 12, 2021 3:24 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:

I would have expected AC to get at least somewhat of a bump from their relatively generous approach to COVID-19 changes. I cancelled a nonrefundable ticket a few days before the scheduled flight in March 2020, and I received a no questions asked, transferable, non-expiring voucher. They've now agreed to convert those vouchers into refunds.

Won’t dwell on the refund issue to avoid going off topic, but suspect it’s hurt them more than it’s helped them (non-stop media coverage, politicization of the issue in Canada, lawsuits in the US etc). Seems a lot of folk who lost their jobs or ended up in a financial crunch felt the the vouchers were worthless.

That said, AC’s 2021 performance is consistent with its performance over the last 5 years (haven’t looked further back)

Segment Average: 703
AC: 681

Segment Average: 740
AC: 709

Segment Average: 741
AC: 734

Segment Average: 763
AC: 729

Segment Average: 786 (NA LH) / 798 (NA SH)
AC: 757 (NA LH) / 777(NA SH)

Segment Average: 819
AC: 759

Lootess

Wed May 12, 2021 4:08 pm

I definitely remember Richard wanting the JD Power so badly, and I figured it was just a matter of time until DL takes it away from AS. Bill and company had done a fabulous job managing the pandemic experience.

Was always the rolling our eyes while DL was servicing many AS stations above and below wing and they'd still win the award.
Last edited by Lootess on Wed May 12, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmscsc

Wed May 12, 2021 5:09 pm

I'm a Million Miler and Platinum Elite on Delta and couldn't be prouder of them. They are, indeed, a great airline and the employees always make my travels fantastic. Well done and deserved!

ContinentalEWR

Wed May 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Glad for Delta but does this designation really matter substantively? I feel like it serves as marketing/comms spin and little else. Do people really book a flight based on a JD Power ranking?

EA CO AS

Wed May 12, 2021 8:28 pm

First off, congratulations to the employees of DL for this win! I know it's something you've been wanting for a long time - enjoy the win.

This was a weird year, obviously, but JD Power also changed their scoring. Previously, you had "traditional" vs. "low cost" categories. Then, two years back, JDP changed to "short haul" vs. "long haul." This year, they changed again and were going to have three categories - First Class, Premium, and Main Cabin. But, there weren't enough respondents to make it doable, so they lumped everyone into just one category and scored accordingly.

So here we are.

Not sure what the metrics will be for next year, but as was mentioned previously, the top 4 were within just 11 points of one another, so AS,B6, DL, and WN will all be upping their respective games to try and win. And when we all up our games, the customers benefit.

Congrats again to DL!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Sightseer

Wed May 12, 2021 8:39 pm

Well done DL! As others have said, it's something they've been gunning for for a while.
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
The survey timeframe was Aug 2020-March 2021.
On top of that with less people flying, the challenges and scrums of boarding/deplaning, lack of overhead bin space, and all the other annoyances with mass-travel and crowded planes/airports were non-existent during this timeframe.

On that note, I think it's noteworthy that second-place WN blocked middle seats for almost the entire survey period as well.

ElPistolero

Wed May 12, 2021 9:45 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
First off, congratulations to the employees of DL for this win! I know it's something you've been wanting for a long time - enjoy the win.

This was a weird year, obviously, but JD Power also changed their scoring. Previously, you had "traditional" vs. "low cost" categories. Then, two years back, JDP changed to "short haul" vs. "long haul." This year, they changed again and were going to have three categories - First Class, Premium, and Main Cabin. But, there weren't enough respondents to make it doable, so they lumped everyone into just one category and scored accordingly.

So here we are.

Not sure what the metrics will be for next year, but as was mentioned previously, the top 4 were within just 11 points of one another, so AS,B6, DL, and WN will all be upping their respective games to try and win. And when we all up our games, the customers benefit.

Congrats again to DL!

“Wanting for a long time”? Didn’t realize they even paid attention to this.

How does it sit alongside the Skytrax ratings? More important? Less important? Equally important?

Never quite figured out what these rankings are for. Or why there’s been such a massive difference between JD Power and Skytrax for the North American market.

EA CO AS

Wed May 12, 2021 10:00 pm

ElPistolero wrote:

“Wanting for a long time”? Didn’t realize they even paid attention to this.

"Take the JD Power award away from Alaska Airlines" has been painted on a wall in one of DL's ATL buildings as a corporate goal for several years now.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

N649DL

Wed May 12, 2021 10:01 pm

USAirALB wrote:
I say this as someone who is an AA Elite member and almost exclusively flies AA, but DL runs a tight ship.

I flew them twice this year (PHX-DTW-DCA and LAX-MSP-DCA, all in Y) and while the service was quite good I was shocked by the gusto and enthusiasm of their employees. Every single individual I encountered was extremely friendly and outgoing and seemed to actively enjoy their jobs and actually want to be there. On both my LAX-MSP and MSP-DCA segments the lead flight attendant actually went around to every SkyMiles member onboard (not just Medallion members) and thanked them by name and asked if he could get them anything. I was stunned. On the LAX-MSP segment, when he came to me I told him that I was an AA Elite member and I really appreciated everyone's work, and that in all my flying the past year with AA I haven't received a token of appreciation. He appreciated the comment, and then returned about 10 minutes later telling me he was depositing miles into my account (he said if anyone asks lie and say you had a broken IFE monitor) to entice me to switch to DL. Could that have happened on AA or UA? Maybe, but the experience on these segments, along with those the last time I flew DL (in 2018) were superb.

Their policies, like their commitment to IFE, having 9-abreast on their now retired 777s, serving meals on a number of transcon routes in Y pre-pandemic (versus AA only doing JFK-LAX/SFO) all give off the impression that they care at least somewhat about their passengers's experience.

DL deserves this, despite lack of F meals during the pandemic. In-flight, I've never had a problem with DL. If anything, the only nonprofessional conduct has been on the ground. And even then, never terrible.

That said, AA also does this in reverse as well. I recall flying back on PHX-LAX for work in 2018 and back then I was a DL Gold (now Plat.) and the F/A comped a second Tito's Vodka on the house and thanked me for flying AA by my last name. Really impressive, it's almost like they had the analytics ahead of time to know I had status on DL and formally AA back in the day. Also a very young (and *hot*) crew and on a 738 with AVOD.

AA remains my #2 after DL. I don't see UA overtaking them in my book at this point.

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Glad for Delta but does this designation really matter substantively? I feel like it serves as marketing/comms spin and little else. Do people really book a flight based on a JD Power ranking?

Not really. I recall when TWA was on the verge of bankruptcy they were promoting their J.D. Power status in the late 1990s. CO also overly relied it if you ask me. It's known to be a pretty subjective source for awards.

kiowa

Thu May 13, 2021 12:37 am

WN732 wrote:
N766UA wrote:

I fly mostly AA and UA by choice with AS when I can. I avoid WN at all times for several reasons. To each their own I guess.

Abeam79

Thu May 13, 2021 12:42 am

Lets clear up the pomp and circumstance shall we...cause this is Delta afterall, the Air King of PR spin
https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-jd-power-5092600
The point in this article is summed here.
"Criticism of JD Power
Because companies pay J.D. Power licensing fees, there are situations in which J.D. Power is making money off of the very companies it’s ranking. This possible conflict of interest is something competitor Consumer Reports addressed in a May 2020 article. The article called attention to the fact that J.D. Power charges fees for companies to access survey results, mention the firm in ads, and participate in the Certified Customer Service Program"
Also, I am sure they turned a blind eye to the big elephant in the room of the horrendous catastrophe Delta got not once, not twice, but 3 times this year for cancelling over a 1000's of flights cause they had their collective heads up their buts in regards to poor planning in the operation side to ramp up flying. But yeah, those good 'ol Delta licensing fees to JD power seemed to button that up pretty nicely.
I put as much stock in this as I do with unicorns and fairytales.
If I had to see what customers really prefer, go right to Travel and Leisure that ACTUALLY SURVEY customers and they report it. https://www.travelandleisure.com/worlds ... ines-in-us
1) JetBlue
2)Hawaiian
3)Alaska
4)Southwest
5) DELTA!
Gee, see a difference? almost as if it was reversed! Amazing the polarity of a pole in which one actually does a customer survey, and the other has a select few people in the organization that elects the company, much based on fees. :scratchchin:

777luver

Thu May 13, 2021 1:00 am

This is an interesting read. The writer claims that if you win an JD award, you have to pay them to get their endorsement. Very interesting read, not trying to take away from this year's winner(s), just thought it reminded me a lot of Skytrax.

https://iamcorrect.wordpress.com/2016/1 ... is-a-scam/

ContinentalEWR

Thu May 13, 2021 1:17 am

N649DL wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

DL deserves this, despite lack of F meals during the pandemic. In-flight, I've never had a problem with DL. If anything, the only nonprofessional conduct has been on the ground. And even then, never terrible.

That said, AA also does this in reverse as well. I recall flying back on PHX-LAX for work in 2018 and back then I was a DL Gold (now Plat.) and the F/A comped a second Tito's Vodka on the house and thanked me for flying AA by my last name. Really impressive, it's almost like they had the analytics ahead of time to know I had status on DL and formally AA back in the day. Also a very young (and *hot*) crew and on a 738 with AVOD.

AA remains my #2 after DL. I don't see UA overtaking them in my book at this point.

ContinentalEWR wrote:

Not really. I recall when TWA was on the verge of bankruptcy they were promoting their J.D. Power status in the late 1990s. CO also overly relied it if you ask me. It's known to be a pretty subjective source for awards.

TWA and CO are ancient history as far as the industry goes. I still think it is a nice trophy and comes with bragging rights but in the eyes of the average consumer, does nothing. DL does have service levels a cut above for sure. When I was a tiered member of their program and flew them a lot for work, they were solid. During IRROPS they're app is one of the best, with auto rebooking that makes sense.

Abeam79

Thu May 13, 2021 1:30 am

777luver wrote:
This is an interesting read. The writer claims that if you win an JD award, you have to pay them to get their endorsement. Very interesting read, not trying to take away from this year's winner(s), just thought it reminded me a lot of Skytrax.

https://iamcorrect.wordpress.com/2016/1 ... is-a-scam/

Scroll up a few replies, I just covered this very issue. But Thanks for also reiterating this! :thumbsup:

N649DL

Thu May 13, 2021 1:46 am

ContinentalEWR wrote:
N649DL wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

ContinentalEWR wrote:

TWA and CO are ancient history as far as the industry goes. I still think it is a nice trophy and comes with bragging rights but in the eyes of the average consumer, does nothing. DL does have service levels a cut above for sure. When I was a tiered member of their program and flew them a lot for work, they were solid. During IRROPS they're app is one of the best, with auto rebooking that makes sense.

No what I'm saying is that J.D. Power is a "Pay for Play" survey which TWA and CO banked on with bragging rights for years. This shouldn't come as a surprise.

Ziyulu

Thu May 13, 2021 2:51 am

I agree since they don’t have 3-3-3 787s or 3-4-3 777s.

lx2iah

Thu May 13, 2021 4:07 am

Congrats to DL !

Now they need to bring back the “we love to fly and it shows” ad campaign.

lx2iah

Thu May 13, 2021 4:12 am

Congrats to DL!

Now they need to bring back the “we love to fly and it shows” ad campaign.

Sorry this was posted twice.

wjcandee

Thu May 13, 2021 4:40 am

ContinentalEWR wrote:

It's a big deal. Remember, competition involves: (A) getting newbies or other people's customers in your door; and (B) bringing your own customers back. It's about 5 times more expensive to do A than B. A significant part of marketing supports B: making the customers you already have choose you the next time. FF programs, etc. Product differentiation. And intangible, feel-good stuff. In any hospitality business, the thing that makes people come back is you making them feel special and cared-about, preferably by action rather than word. It's incredibly-difficult to do regularly and consistently in a large organization. But little efforts like speaking to every Skymiles member by name and asking if they need anything (mentioned above) is essence-of-hospitality stuff, and it works.

Winning an award like this helps the B part by, among other things: (1) instilling pride in employees which leads to consistent job performance which leads to more B; (2) instilling pride in regular customers that "their" airline is "the best"; and (3) dissuading present customers from trying another carrier because it's evidence that the grass ain't greener over there.

I can't say I have ever looked to see who the JD Power award winner was this year before buying a ticket. But I have always wanted to try Alaska, precisely because they always win the dang thing.

The award also plays into discussions among VFR travelers, as in the following imaginary sketch:

"Should I put Mom/Missy/Grandpa on Delta or American to come visit? The fares are pretty-similar, but Lana told me that she took Delta once and her flight was late and bumpy!"
"Well, I saw somewhere that Delta just won the JD Power award for US airlines, so maybe it's gotten better."
"Oh. Okay, I'll book her on them, then." ...End Scene

There are a million factors that go into brand choice. Delta under Anderson believed in product consistency above all else: you shouldn't need SeatGuru to know if your flight is going to have IFE, and the planes shouldn't have 20 different paint schemes and interiors, and they should not be cancelled and should be on time. Particularly when faced with a new competitor like JetBlue, for whom the consistent-product stuff was built-in, it made a lot of sense. And a consistent product becomes a FAMILIAR product, which DL has leveraged in a lot of its international marketing: You step on the plane in Tokyo for the flight back to the US, and you're already "home". I've been in that position many, many times, and at least for me, it's dead-on accurate. It won't be for others, but it is for me. So the right way to market is to throw a LOT of darts at the board, because not any one thing is going to appeal to everybody, but hopefully some of them land on a broad spectrum of people. This award touches that on a number of levels.

Far from the JD Power award, what struck me more than anything recently about the impression that DL makes was watching a couple of my favorite comedians and how they treated DL, independently of each other, in their acts. Joe List and Sam Morril. They're New Yorkers, so it's a specific brand of observational humor that doesn't appeal everywhere. And they're tough on people and things. And from time to time in their acts they bitch about traveling, because New Yorkers complain constantly, and being a comedian on the road is the antithesis of glamorous: you travel to do a week at a club in the middle of nowhere, often, for not a lot of money, and just doing it is hard, much less doing it and being consistently-funny.

Each of Joe List and Sam Morril, in their recent specials, mentions Delta. List just flat out says, "Delta is the best airline", and then launches into a pretty-funny bit about how the folks who arrange the movies by category for Delta's IFE system don't seem to be on the ball. Morril brings up Delta in a part of his act that a lot of people find rough, but he clearly mentions his Delta SkyMiles credit card and "all the services and benefits that Delta offers," along with some other funny and positive references to Delta, including the Biskoff cookies.

Is Delta sponsoring comedians, now? Because it's kind of weird for folks who trash everything to say something positive about an airline. That made an impression, and suggested that DL was doing something right, if that's their reach into the culture.

The Joe List Delta bit is at 6:55 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odtAJ2kPdqc It's preceded, from the beginning of the special, by a bunch of stuff about flying, some of which is true and funny, some of which falls a little flat.

zippy

Thu May 13, 2021 6:49 am

wjcandee wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

It's a big deal. Remember, competition involves: (A) getting newbies or other people's customers in your door; and (B) bringing your own customers back. It's about 5 times more expensive to do A than B. A significant part of marketing supports B: making the customers you already have choose you the next time. FF programs, etc. Product differentiation. And intangible, feel-good stuff. In any hospitality business, the thing that makes people come back is you making them feel special and cared-about, preferably by action rather than word. It's incredibly-difficult to do regularly and consistently in a large organization. But little efforts like speaking to every Skymiles member by name and asking if they need anything (mentioned above) is essence-of-hospitality stuff, and it works.

As was pointed out JD Power awards are pay to play kinda things. It's like a star on the Hollywood walk of fame and nothing I would give even a moment of thought to. Delta has a very compelling product but that's not reflected in this "award".

2eng2efficient

Thu May 13, 2021 10:57 am

flybaurlax wrote:
777luver wrote:
How
much weight does this survey have?

That is exactly right. I work at a Fortune 500 company in a totally different industry, albeit one that is covered by JD Power, and I can tell you the marketing department takes the annual JD Power rankings very seriously. It influences the conversations with the advertising agencies, how they craft messaging, etc.

EDIT: And I would dispute that JD Power is a pay to play scheme. It’s a big company with an extensive research and analysis arm that relies on bona fide qualitative and quantitative consumer research techniques. Does that mean they always get it right? No. But it’s serious content produced for marketing pros.

ContinentalEWR

Thu May 13, 2021 11:12 am

zippy wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

As was pointed out JD Power awards are pay to play kinda things. It's like a star on the Hollywood walk of fame and nothing I would give even a moment of thought to. Delta has a very compelling product but that's not reflected in this "award".

Exactly. It's a nice to have, but it is pay to play based and irrelevant to the average person booking flights. It comes with bragging rights but companies, airlines in particular, are more invested nowadays in their own brand ethos, not a third party award. Is JD Power a force for good? Prob not.

frontierflyer

Thu May 13, 2021 11:44 am

Congrats DL , but 100% of my business goes to AA at this point .

AAtakeMeAway

Thu May 13, 2021 11:49 am

American just must not care about this ranking .... have they every scored near the top (at least in the last 20 years)?

WN732

Thu May 13, 2021 2:37 pm

kiowa wrote:
WN732 wrote:
N766UA wrote:

I fly mostly AA and UA by choice with AS when I can. I avoid WN at all times for several reasons. To each their own I guess.

That is exactly why I say that no airline can be all things to all people.

usdcaguy

Thu May 13, 2021 2:59 pm

airbazar wrote:
It's funny because these rankings are extremely subjective and yet there seems to be a consensus about DL. I don't fly DL often but when I have I have had nothing but a great experience. I don't care for the bubbly personality of the WN and B6 personnel which to me comes across as fake and at times unprofessional but I understand that plenty of people like that style. DL and UA have been my top 2 favorite domestic airlines for a long time now. I like their products and their employees strke a nice balance between being pleasant and professional.

Have you been on WN since 1985? Their flight attendants and customer service agents are no longer bubbly. Everyone acts normal. They've taken the cheese factor out, so now they're just helpful people. I love the casual atmosphere of the company, the free checked bags, the lack of change fees and ability to get an aisle seat 99% of the time. They've always been on-time for me. No upselling (except maybe Early Bird Check-in) or any other BS. Luv it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos