Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Midwestindy
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines adding Belize and expanding fleet

Wed May 12, 2021 6:05 pm

Alaska expects domestic travel to return to pre-COVID levels by the summer of 2022, which will require more aircraft across Air Group. To prime the airline for growth, Alaska is taking the following actions:

Adding 17 new Embraer 175 jets to the regional fleet in 2022 and 2023 – nine to be operated by Horizon Air and eight by SkyWest.
Exercising options for 13 Boeing 737-9 MAX deliveries in 2023 and 2024.

"Alaska also announced today new nonstop service to Belize City, Belize, in Central America from the West Coast. Belize will be the fourth country Alaska flies to from its West Coast hubs, joining Canada, Mexico and Costa Rica. Routes and schedules to Belize will be announced when ticket sales begin in early June."

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 90067.html

Great to see travel making a comeback!
ORD & IND

AA & DL

tphuang

Re: Alaska Airlines adding Belize and expanding fleet

Wed May 12, 2021 6:12 pm

The mainline pilots are not going to like this.

AC4500

Wed May 12, 2021 6:14 pm

I'm guessing Belize will be from LAX. Maybe 1x weekly from SEA, but I wouldn't be optimistic about that.
Next:
UA: PDX-ORD-DCA
WN: BWI-STL-PDX

maverick4002

Wed May 12, 2021 6:16 pm

I just came back from Belize on Sunday. Nice place. United seems to have the market tied up from the US, so to speak. When I was leavign there were three United aircraft on the ground. Looks like the serve from Houston, Chicago, Denver, Newark and maybe LAX? Newark is seasonal I think, not sure about the others

SFOThinker

Wed May 12, 2021 6:21 pm

No indication yet of which West Coast hub(s) will be used for the service. Seattle would have fewer connections than LAX, SAN, or Bay Area airports. Anyone have more information?

usflyer msp

Wed May 12, 2021 6:27 pm

SFOThinker wrote:
No indication yet of which West Coast hub(s) will be used for the service. Seattle would have fewer connections than LAX, SAN, or Bay Area airports. Anyone have more information?

The only logical choice is LAX.

LAX has the second largest Belizean community in the US.
SEA or SFO would make no sense.

jbs2886

Wed May 12, 2021 6:29 pm

Interesting to add these 737 MAX 9s are options being exercised and are specifically for expansion. https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... _inset_1.1

FLALEFTY

Wed May 12, 2021 6:34 pm

Is the new (running) total of B737-MAX9's 64, or 77 as a result of this option conversion?

Abeam79

Wed May 12, 2021 6:42 pm

Basically just replacing the retiring Airbuses. Barely a "growth" order, unless your Horizon/Skywest :roll:

MaverickM11

Wed May 12, 2021 6:45 pm

AC4500 wrote:
I'm guessing Belize will be from LAX. Maybe 1x weekly from SEA, but I wouldn't be optimistic about that.

BZE to really any AS hub would do just fine, at least seasonally.
I don't take responsibility at all

phatfarmlines

Wed May 12, 2021 6:48 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

:checkmark: I recall someone operating LAX-BZE 1x weekly back in the day, was it TACA?

EDIT: Saw an article from 2013 where DL announced1x weekly LAX-BZE, but during the TACA days, perhaps they flew it as well?
Last edited by phatfarmlines on Wed May 12, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMBSPBR

Midwestindy wrote:
Alaska expects domestic travel to return to pre-COVID levels by the summer of 2022, which will require more aircraft across Air Group. To prime the airline for growth, Alaska is taking the following actions:

Adding 17 new Embraer 175 jets to the regional fleet in 2022 and 2023 – nine to be operated by Horizon Air and eight by SkyWest.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 90067.html

Just announced by Embraer.
Congratulations to all involved !!!

Alaska Airlines, a new member of the oneworld Alliance, currently has 62 Embraer E175 jets in their fleet, operated by Horizon Air and SkyWest Airlines.
The 76-seat aircraft will be delivered in Alaska’s livery and three-class configuration, starting in 2022.

Source:
https://embraer.com/global/en/news?slug ... a-airlines

Excerpt:
São José dos Campos, Brazil, 12 May 2021 –
Embraer has agreed to the sale of eight new E175 jets to SkyWest, Inc. (NASDAQ: SKYW) for operation with Alaska Airlines,
adding to the 32 SkyWest E175 jets SkyWest already flies for Alaska.
The E175 aircraft will fly exclusively with Alaska Airlines under a Capacity Purchase Agreement (CPA).
The value of the contract, which will be included in Embraer’s second-quarter backlog, is USD 339.2 million, based on list price.

President and CEO of SkyWest, Chip Childs, said:
“With these aircraft, we will have over 220 E175s, operating more than any other carrier in the world.
Our customers love the E175; and we have great confidence in and appreciate our long-standing partnership with Embraer for more than 35 years.”

Source:
https://embraer.com/global/en/news?slug ... orizon-air

Excerpt:
São José dos Campos, Brazil, 12 May 2021

Embraer has agreed the sale of nine new E175 jets to Alaska Air Group and its subsidiary Horizon Air.
The E175 aircraft will fly exclusively with Alaska Airlines under a Capacity Purchase Agreement (CPA).
The value of the contract, which will be included in Embraer’s second-quarter backlog, is USD 449.1 million, based on current list prices.

“We have navigated through the pandemic and we’re on a solid path to recovery.
The E175 remains a key part of our strategy,” said Nat Pieper, Alaska Airlines senior vice president of fleet, finance and alliances.
“We’re excited about growth in the years ahead, which has always been at the heart of Alaska’s DNA.
The E175 is a terrific plane to help us add new routes and frequencies, and to complement our mainline aircraft to meet fluctuating demand with the right capacity.”

Polot

FLALEFTY wrote:
Is the new (running) total of B737-MAX9's 64, or 77 as a result of this option conversion?

It’s 81 including planes already in fleet and not including any leased metal AS may have coming in (announced late last year they are leasing 13).
Last edited by Polot on Wed May 12, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SANFan

Wed May 12, 2021 6:49 pm

SFOThinker wrote:

Belize is exciting! Makes sense that AS continues chasing/trying new leisure markets.

I'd be very surprised if LAX won't be be the announced gateway although I'd be thrilled if SAN were also included! I think eventually AS will add some level of service out of SAN to one or two of their Central American leisure destinations but I don't know if it's time yet. (If not, maybe the time is coming for AS to jump into the SAN-LAX market at least, in order to open up the SAN-market to some of the routes that they fly only from LAX, such as Central America...)

I'll certainly be watching for details of this new service!

bb

SA280

Wed May 12, 2021 6:52 pm

tphuang wrote:

On the other hand, passengers will love it!

MIflyer12

usflyer msp wrote:
SFOThinker wrote:

SEA or SFO would make no sense.

Are they targeting VFR, or vacationers? Tens of millions of people with no relatives in LAS go to visit.

Polot

Abeam79 wrote:
Basically just replacing the retiring Airbuses. Barely a "growth" order, unless your Horizon/Skywest :roll:

Prior to this order AS already had enough planes coming in to replace the retiring Airbuses. So it’s growth one way or another.

MIflyer12

Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 pm

tphuang wrote:

If AS were retiring mainline aircraft and not replacing them (instead of growing the fleet), AS pilots might have a reason to complain.

Entitlement is a cancer.

32andBelow

Wed May 12, 2021 6:56 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

BZE to really any AS hub would do just fine, at least seasonally.

LAX is on the way from like every AS hub. They’ll probably time it for the ANCLAX flight like they do for costa rica. Alaskans love going to the beach

jbs2886

Wed May 12, 2021 6:59 pm

Polot wrote:
Abeam79 wrote:

Prior to this order AS already had enough planes coming in to replace the retiring Airbuses. So it’s growth one way or another.

This is for growth, as Polot (and Alaska) said. Proof: https://twitter.com/ByERussell/status/1 ... 96481?s=20

BoeingGuy

Wed May 12, 2021 7:03 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

If AS were retiring mainline aircraft and not replacing them (instead of growing the fleet), AS pilots might have a reason to complain.

Entitlement is a cancer.

I don’t get why the mainline pilots wouldn’t like it either. The E175s are mostly deployed in markets that can’t support a 737. Either those markets are flown with smaller airplanes, or they aren’t flown at all by AS. I don’t see how that affects mainline pilot employment.

32andBelow

Wed May 12, 2021 7:08 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Entitlement is a cancer.

I don’t get why the mainline pilots wouldn’t like it either. The E175s are mostly deployed in markets that can’t support a 737. Either those markets are flown with smaller airplanes, or they aren’t flown at all by AS. I don’t see how that affects mainline pilot employment.

They did put them on ANCFAI and ANCSEA ANCPDX all replacing 737s

BoeingGuy

Wed May 12, 2021 7:16 pm

32andBelow wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Entitlement is a cancer.

They did put them on ANCFAI and ANCSEA ANCPDX all replacing 737s

You mean like 1/15 of the daily SEA-ANC flights?

Anyway, that’s a bit off topic. I hope they can start expanding flights from PAE with those new E175s instead of continuing to delay resuming many of them. UA is sitting on some unused PAE slots too after canceling PAE-SFO.

ericm2031

Wed May 12, 2021 7:23 pm

They also announced today they’ll be adding some lines of Airbus flying by bringing some A320s out of storage.

Also adding 3 seats to the -800s

BZE will be 5x weekly LAX, 2x weekly from SEA. Seasonal, potentially year round if it performs well.

BoeingGuy

Wed May 12, 2021 7:39 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
They also announced today they’ll be adding some lines of Airbus flying by bringing some A320s out of storage.

BZE will be 5x weekly LAX, 2x weekly from SEA. Seasonal, potentially year round if it performs well.

SEA-BZE? Wow.

Any insight on other expansion since they are increasing their fleet so much?

SANFan

Wed May 12, 2021 7:41 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
I hope they [AS] can start expanding flights from PAE with those new E175s instead of continuing to delay resuming many of them. UA is sitting on some unused PAE slots too after canceling PAE-SFO.

The delay in growing PAE is I'm sure not due to shortage of a/c, it's due to lack of traffic. Everett must be a primarily business oriented station; LAS and PHX were 2 routes, primarily leisure I'd bet, that continued operating throughout the COVID drops and I'm sure AS is anxious to get PAE back up to full strength as soon as the pax return. There were added flights on the advanced summer and fall skeds which have been, and continue to be, trimmed back as the traffic still isn't showing up.

bb

dfw88

Wed May 12, 2021 7:43 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
I just came back from Belize on Sunday. Nice place. United seems to have the market tied up from the US, so to speak. When I was leavign there were three United aircraft on the ground. Looks like the serve from Houston, Chicago, Denver, Newark and maybe LAX? Newark is seasonal I think, not sure about the others

All of UA's flights are just a few times weekly except IAH which is 2x daily. They have a capacity advantage over AA for sure with 1x DFW and 1x MIA daily, but it's not as big of a gap as you might think if you came through on a weekend.

Wneast

Wed May 12, 2021 7:45 pm

SANFan wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
I hope they [AS] can start expanding flights from PAE with those new E175s instead of continuing to delay resuming many of them. UA is sitting on some unused PAE slots too after canceling PAE-SFO.

The delay in growing PAE is I'm sure not due to shortage of a/c, it's due to lack of traffic. Everett must be a primarily business oriented station; LAS and PHX were 2 routes, primarily leisure I'd bet, that continued operating throughout the COVID drops and I'm sure AS is anxious to get PAE back up to full strength as soon as the pax return. There were added flights on the advanced summer and fall skeds which have been, and continue to be, trimmed back as the traffic still isn't showing up.

bb

BOI and GEG got a second flight in the fall should be interesting if that holds

SANFan

Wed May 12, 2021 7:46 pm

ericm2031 wrote:

Source please?

bb

BoeingGuy

Wed May 12, 2021 7:52 pm

SANFan wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

bb

I live very close to PAE. Like I could walk to the Future of Flight Museum. I would not say it’s a business oriented station. PAE serves a large population cachement. I know people in Seattle who have come to PAE rather than SEA.

One problem I’m seeing is that both AS and UA are starting to jack the fares up compared to SEA. That is just going to further drive people away from using PAE. I don’t see it as a market that is going to able to command a premium fare for the convenience. It’s not SNA.

SJOtoLIR

Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 pm

Alaska Airlines actually operates a vast network out of LAX to Mexico and Central America: Ixtapa - Zihuatanejo, Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, San Jose del Cabo, Loreto, Guadalajara, Cancun, Liberia and San Jose.
On the other hand, Belize City operates many flights coming from the USA with limited weekly frequencies: UA DEN-BZE 1x weekly, UA ORD-BZE 1x weeklu, UA EWR-BZE 2x weekly, UA CLT-BZE 1x weekly, UA LAX-BZE 1x weekly and AA LAX-BZE 1x weekly.
I wouldn't speculate about the departure point and weekly frequencies, but we could get some conclusions based on this pattern.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

AC4500

Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 pm

ericm2031 wrote:

Those are very bold claims. I'll believe it when a source is made public. I really don't think SEA-BZE will be likely to happen at all.
Next:

jbs2886

Wed May 12, 2021 8:03 pm

AC4500 wrote:
I really don't think SEA-BZE will be likely to happen at all.

Why? Its AS's primary hub, by far, so it makes perfect sense. It's not like CLT and DEN are primary hotspots for BZE either, they are driven by connections, like SEA would be.

AC4500

Wed May 12, 2021 8:04 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Why? Its AS's primary hub, by far, so it makes perfect sense. It's not like CLT and DEN are primary hotspots for BZE either, they are driven by connections, like SEA would be.

Aside from Alaska, what viable connections could be made in Seattle that wouldn't involve backtracking?
Next:

BA744PHX

Wed May 12, 2021 8:08 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Location, location, location is the primary reason why SEA-BZE is less likely. To much back tracking to fill this flight

This screams LAX-BZE

jbs2886

Wed May 12, 2021 8:09 pm

AC4500 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Aside from Alaska, what viable connections could be made in Seattle that wouldn't involve backtracking?

That's not the way hubs work, of course there can be a lot of backtracking. If you remove backtracking in what world does almost anything make sense from SEA, except Alaska? AS's PNW presence would likely be enough and those PNW passengers are used to going through SEA.

jbs2886

Wed May 12, 2021 8:10 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Location, location, location is the primary reason why SEA-BZE is less likely. To much back tracking to fill this flight

This screams LAX-BZE

I never stated LAX didn't make sense, only indicating that you can't rule out SEA. From the poster's original comment, it appears to be both, which does make sense IMO.

jplatts

Wed May 12, 2021 8:22 pm

AC4500 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

What viable connections could be made in Seattle that wouldn't involve backtracking?

There would be viable connecting opportunities that don't involve backtracking onto AS's SEA-BZE flights from AS SEA-ANC/BLI/FAI/JNU/KTN/SIT/YVR/YYJ flights.

32andBelow

Wed May 12, 2021 8:22 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

This screams LAX-BZE

I never stated LAX didn't make sense, only indicating that you can't rule out SEA. From the poster's original comment, it appears to be both, which does make sense IMO.

Flying like LAX-SEA-BZE makes no sense when SEA-LAX-BZE does

Airbii

Wed May 12, 2021 8:24 pm

SANFan wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

Source please?

bb

Internal company info. Should not have been shared if it isn't public yet.
Last edited by Airbii on Wed May 12, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AC4500

Wed May 12, 2021 8:28 pm

jplatts wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

What viable connections could be made in Seattle that wouldn't involve backtracking?

There would be viable connecting opportunities that don't involve backtracking onto AS's SEA-BZE flights from AS SEA-ANC/BLI/FAI/JNU/KTN/SIT/YVR/YYJ flights.

So only Canada and Alaska? That's pretty much what I was getting at.
Next:

BoeingGuy

Wed May 12, 2021 8:32 pm

Airbii wrote:
SANFan wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

Source please?

bb

Internal company info. Should not have been shared. I don't see it publicly either, all the more reason not to have posted that information.

That was pretty foolish. It’s a great way to get fired.

Expressing an opinion is one thing. Posting non-public proprietary information on the Internet is a fireable offense at most companies.

jplatts

Wed May 12, 2021 8:33 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
That's not the way hubs work, of course there can be a lot of backtracking. If you remove backtracking in what world does almost anything make sense from SEA, except Alaska? AS's PNW presence would likely be enough and those PNW passengers are used to going through SEA.

Backtracking is less of an issue on connections onto AS SEA-PDX/YKM flights due to the proximity of PDX and YKM to AS's SEA hub.

Backtracking is a bigger issue on connections onto SEA-BOI/GEG from other contiguous U.S. states with BOI and GEG being further from SEA, but most contiguous U.S. destinations outside of WA/OR/ID/MT have better options to BOI and GEG on AA, DL, UA, and/or WN.

DaCubbyBearBar

Wed May 12, 2021 8:34 pm

I would think that their pilots would be happy that there are more mainline aircraft coming in. Does AS pilots have a scope clause?
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

32andBelow

Wed May 12, 2021 8:36 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Airbii wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Source please?

bb

Internal company info. Should not have been shared. I don't see it publicly either, all the more reason not to have posted that information.

Expressing an opinion is one thing. Posting non-public proprietary information on the Internet is a fireable offense at most companies.

If your going to put something out to a company of 10s of thousand it might as well be public

jbs2886

Wed May 12, 2021 8:36 pm

32andBelow wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

This screams LAX-BZE

SMH, read my posts. I said it makes sense for much of the PNW that is already backtracking through SEA for most connections. I also said I think LAX/SEA-BZE makes sense to capture AS's full market on the west coast. I never said LAX-SEA-BZE makes sense.

Also, I'll state again, the obsession that people won't backtrack is false. The SEA hub relies almost entirely on backtracking, as do many other hubs.

BoeingGuy

Wed May 12, 2021 8:38 pm

32andBelow wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
Airbii wrote:

If your going to put something out to a company of 10s of thousand it might as well be public

No it’s not. That’s not an excuse for violating policy and trust. I know company secrets that thousands of employees know and they are still not public.

AC4500

Wed May 12, 2021 8:38 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
That's not the way hubs work, of course there can be a lot of backtracking. If you remove backtracking in what world does almost anything make sense from SEA, except Alaska?

Alright, fair points. Yes, obviously backtracking occurs all the time, but Seattle (and the entire PNW in general) is not a very convenient location to establish a strong hub for most domestic connections when passengers have to travel north or west in order to get to a destination in the complete opposite direction. AS (and DL) both make SEA work as a hub with the help of a strong local domestic O&D market, business clientele (pandemic aside) and foreign airline partners for international feed. Longer and thinner markets like SEA-BZE are not what AS's SEA hub is made for and I would think that it would be more feasible for them to keep those types of routes at LAX where the local demand is much stronger.

Even as a loyal AS flyer myself, I would still rather connect through a hub that's in the same general direction as BZE (DEN, DFW, IAH, LAX, etc.). I would only be swayed to backtrack through Seattle if they had the cheapest fare. I understand that most passengers, especially those wanting to earn/redeem AS miles couldn't care less, I'm just speaking for myself.

But, I'm not an airline network planner so what do I know...

jbs2886 wrote:
AS's PNW presence would likely be enough and those PNW passengers are used to going through SEA.

If the OP's indication of a twice-weekly SEA-BZE flight is true, then I guess that might be enough capacity for local PNW traffic. However, it would still seem rather odd to go that route (no pun intended) when they could more easily fill up the plane every single day via LAX-BZE.
Last edited by AC4500 on Wed May 12, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Next:

MAH4546

Wed May 12, 2021 8:39 pm

maverick4002 wrote:

American and United are similar size at BZE. AA has Dallas, Miami, Charlotte and Los Angeles.

phatfarmlines wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

:checkmark: I recall someone operating LAX-BZE 1x weekly back in the day, was it TACA?

EDIT: Saw an article from 2013 where DL announced1x weekly LAX-BZE, but during the TACA days, perhaps they flew it as well?

Both American and United fly LAXBZE year-round.
a.

32andBelow

Wed May 12, 2021 8:42 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

SMH, read my posts. I said it makes sense for much of the PNW that is already backtracking through SEA for most connections. I also said I think LAX/SEA-BZE makes sense to capture AS's full market on the west coast. I never said LAX-SEA-BZE makes sense.

Also, I'll state again, the obsession that people won't backtrack is false. The SEA hub relies almost entirely on backtracking, as do many other hubs.

There is a rule in GDS called circuitry. There is an acceptable amount of backtracking. I’d say running it through lax is much more acceptable than running it through sea for a majority of their network

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos