Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

departedflights
Topic Author

Did Midway Airlines (ML) ever serve White Plains?

Thu May 13, 2021 1:08 pm

I am hoping someone on the site can answer a question for me.

I have several Midway Airlines (the original) timetables that show service to White Plains in 1984 and 1985. They all show "Pending government approval."

To my knowledge, Midway never actually served White Plains.

Can someone confirm whether or not that service ever happened?

Thank you.

Q

Re: Did Midway Airlines (ML) ever serve White Plains?

Thu May 13, 2021 2:13 pm

http://www.departedflights.com/HPN85p1.html

I found it yes they were. I didn't know! Wow.

Q

Cubsrule

Thu May 13, 2021 2:18 pm

Q wrote:
http://www.departedflights.com/HPN85p1.html

I found it yes they were. I didn't know! Wow.

Q

The next interesting question - at least for me - is for how long UA and ML competed on Chicago-HPN. UA's January 1986 route map appears to show ORD-HPN (I believe on 732s), but I don't know the exact timing of either operation.

NZ321

Thu May 13, 2021 3:18 pm

"pending government approval" in 1984/5??? sounds odd to me. Can anybody explain this?

departedflights
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2021 4:27 pm

Okay.... I appreciate the responses.

However, after further digging, I did find an old newspaper article from the Schenectady Gazette dated November 13, 1984 titled: "Midway Airlines Flies from Westchester" which indicates service DID begin the day before.

Link to the article:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 83,3274792

NZ321 wrote:
"pending government approval" in 1984/5??? sounds odd to me. Can anybody explain this?

NZ321, from reading the article, it appears that it was local government that did not want to make space for Midway at the airport. It was actually an interesting read.

Cubsrule wrote:
The next interesting question - at least for me - is for how long UA and ML competed on Chicago-HPN. UA's January 1986 route map appears to show ORD-HPN (I believe on 732s), but I don't know the exact timing of either operation.

It does appear that within a matter of months, the route was switched to White Plains-Washington National by June 1, 1985. So the two competed on White Plains-Chicago for only about six and a half months.

It looks like the last Midway timetable to include White Plains was dated July 1, 1986. So Midway served the airport for slightly little less than two years.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Q

Fri May 14, 2021 7:10 pm

I flew on United 737-300 from Chicago OHare to New Haven which I had to one stop in White Plains in half-hour then hop in 11 minutes flight. LOL I love it. I flew back a few days later nonstop from New Haven to Chicago. It was a fun trip.

Q

Cubsrule

Fri May 14, 2021 7:30 pm

Q wrote:
I flew on United 737-300 from Chicago OHare to New Haven which I had to one stop in White Plains in half-hour then hop in 11 minutes flight. LOL I love it. I flew back a few days later nonstop from New Haven to Chicago. It was a fun trip.

Q

Any idea what year that was? My first flight was on UA ORD-HPN in the summer of 1991. I had always understood that we were on a -200 but I'm not certain. I have a vague memory of the interior being sort of tatty and the -300s were very new at that point, which I guess is circumstantial evidence that it was a -200.

airlineworker

Sat May 15, 2021 3:06 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Q wrote:

Q

Any idea what year that was? My first flight was on UA ORD-HPN in the summer of 1991. I had always understood that we were on a -200 but I'm not certain. I have a vague memory of the interior being sort of tatty and the -300s were very new at that point, which I guess is circumstantial evidence that it was a -200.

UA started HVN-ORD service in 1991 and ended in 1996. Out of the 4 daily flights, one was a one stop flight via HPN in both directions. 737-300's were first used then 737-500's. Loads were good but weight restrictions were very common on runway 2 takeoffs. Trees north of the runway caused the problem and only many years later did the trees come down. The new master plan calls for a 6600 foot runway 2-20.

Q

Sat May 15, 2021 5:04 am

I was really pissed me off that I lost my logbook left plane's pocket seat. I don't remember when year it was. I was so MAD!!! Lucky, I have a couple of logbooks and never do leave them in the pocket seat. Put it in my bag or breifcase from now on. I would guess 1992's. Sorry, I can't find it.

Q

TexasAirCorp

Wed May 19, 2021 7:23 pm

I believe Midway began serving HPN since one of its CEOs (Neal Meehan) used to run New York Air, who under his leadership in 1981 announced plans to serve 18 destinations from HPN. The plans never really went anywhere since NYA was unprofitable at the time, and Meehan was eventually kicked out and subsequently ended up at Midway. He then began using some of his plans for NYA at Midway, one of which being HPN service.

NYA only ever served DCA from HPN which began in 1985, and a short while later Midway axed its DCA-HPN service.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos