Air Canada announced new flights to Hawaii:
YUL-HNL 2x/wk starting 12 Dec
YYZ-OGG 1x/wk starting 18 Dec
YYC-HNL 3x/wk starting 18 Dec

They will also be resuming:
YYZ-HNL
YVR-HNL/OGG/KOA
YYC-OGG

Hopefully Canada reopens their border by then.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2021-05 ... -Vancouver

777luver

Re: Air Canada Starting New Winter Hawaii Flights

Sat May 15, 2021 7:21 am

Nice to see YUL on there and YYZ restarting. 789s to boot.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat May 15, 2021 7:35 am

They must really expect business demand still reduced next winter ie they will have widebody planes sitting around. Business travel is the item that probably wont be back in winter. Leisure will be back and its a good guess the border will be open in December.

I guess they see slack and think Hawaii is something they can sell people on. I bet we see AC really expand Florida as well. I bet that is coming later.

If you have been watching what the US airlines are adding this does make sense for AC. Leisure travel is taking the drivers seat and outdoor destinations are key

B595

Sat May 15, 2021 8:02 am

Montreal-Honolulu, how interesting. And 2x/week to boot.

casperCA

Sat May 15, 2021 9:20 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
They must really expect business demand still reduced next winter ie they will have widebody planes sitting around. Business travel is the item that probably wont be back in winter. Leisure will be back and its a good guess the border will be open in December.

I guess they see slack and think Hawaii is something they can sell people on. I bet we see AC really expand Florida as well. I bet that is coming later.

If you have been watching what the US airlines are adding this does make sense for AC. Leisure travel is taking the drivers seat and outdoor destinations are key

These flights are starting mid-December. In Canada, in a normal year, by December 12 business travel starts to go down dramatically as people switch into the holiday season. January is also historically a low month for business travel.

DaCubbyBearBar

Sat May 15, 2021 9:33 am

Wow.... hope they can go this! Montreal to Honolulu.... a bit interesting and I hope it works
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

Whywhyjay

Sat May 15, 2021 4:24 pm

I checked some random dates for YVR - KOA on both AC and Westjet. Air Canada is roughly twice the fare, and only on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Westjet seems to be daily. Think I might end up trying Westjet for the first time!
Whywhyjay?
Vickers Viscount. DHC-3, 6, 7, 8, Q-400 CRJ. 720-B, 727, 732, 738, 739, 742, 744, 762, 773, 788. DC-3, 9,10, MD-81.
A-310, 319, 320, 333. E-190. L-1011. BAE-ATP.

Oilman

Sat May 15, 2021 4:43 pm

I’m not familiar with Canadian aviation. Has YUL-HNL been flown in the past?

Weatherwatcher1

Sat May 15, 2021 4:45 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
Wow.... hope they can go this! Montreal to Honolulu.... a bit interesting and I hope it works

An 11 hour flight to a beach destination from Montreal is quite a journey, but I’m assuming Air Canada expects that Hawaii will be more attractive than the Caribbean due to COVID. People likely are considering Hawaii over more common destinations like Mexico, Cuba and Dominican Republic from YUL

Thenoflyzone

Sat May 15, 2021 5:02 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

Don’t count on it sticking around in the long term.

With Asia and South America essentially off limits for Canadians, AC needs to send their B787s somewhere in winter. This was the best they could come up with. They are seeing high demand for Hawaii at the moment, so they will try and capitalize on it.

Better than letting that frame sit unused at YUL.

Oilman wrote:
I’m not familiar with Canadian aviation. Has YUL-HNL been flown in the past?

No. And for good reason.

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

An 11 hour flight to a beach destination from Montreal is quite a journey, but I’m assuming Air Canada expects that Hawaii will be more attractive than the Caribbean due to COVID. People likely are considering Hawaii over more common destinations like Mexico, Cuba and Dominican Republic from YUL

It’s not a question of Hawaii outperforming the Caribbean. There will always be more demand from YUL to the Caribbean, even today, with COVID.

They are seeing an uptick in demand to Hawaii, and will try and capitalize on it. Considering the number of 787s they have sitting idle in winter, they will give the route a go. That’s all.

And it’s by no means a guarantee for success. At 11h30 hours westbound, that’s one long leisure flight, meaning higher costs, and therefore higher fares to recuperate that cost. A 3-4 hour hop from YUL to the Caribbean will always be more attractive.
Last edited by Thenoflyzone on Sat May 15, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

hollywoodcory

Sat May 15, 2021 5:09 pm

777luver wrote:

YYZ/YUL-Hawaii is on a 788. The 789s are on YVR-HNL/OGG.

777luver

Sat May 15, 2021 5:34 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
777luver wrote:

YYZ/YUL-Hawaii is on a 788. The 789s are on YVR-HNL/OGG.

I stand corrected

MIflyer12

Sat May 15, 2021 6:22 pm

In 2019, most Canadian visitors (75%) to Hawaii arrived on non-stop flights instead of connecting in the US-48. YUL-HNL will make it a little easier from eastern Canada. Regrettably, State of Hawaii tourist stats don't seem to break out Canadian arrivals from east or west, unlike their stats on U.S. visitors.

https://files.hawaii.gov/dbedt/visitor/ ... isitor.pdf

Mexico, Cuba, and the Dom Rep see more Canadians in a typical year than Hawaii, but ~500K a year is a pretty good market.

jake112

Sat May 15, 2021 6:39 pm

Why why jay maybe you could advz us your random dates!!!! On the days that AC operates (days 4/5/7) I did some random checking myself.
DEC19/RTN DEC26.......AC787...........WJ 1120
JAN14/RTN JAN21........AC737...........WJ. 737
FEB6/RTN FEB13...........AC737..........WJ. 737
-feel free to verify my numbers
-of course if you compare the days when ac does not operate a flight the fares will be a lot more expensive as
You are likely connecting in SFO or LAX
-all in all I find your post to be quite misleading

Vicenza

Sat May 15, 2021 7:11 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

Why is a 'beach destination' different from any other 11/12 hour flight I, and many others, take? Would seem to me you are implying that there is inferiority surrounding such a destination.

Skywatcher

Sat May 15, 2021 7:41 pm

Last time I flew from YUL to HNL my routing was YUL-SFO-HNL-LAS-YUL.
I might be tempted to do HNL again now.

ContinentalEWR

Sat May 15, 2021 7:44 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

Why is a 'beach destination' different from any other 11/12 hour flight I, and many others, take? Would seem to me you are implying that there is inferiority surrounding such a destination.

Beach markets, or holiday destinations, are far more cyclical and a lot less consistent than trunk business routes. Leisure markets are driven by everything from seasonal demand, school holiday calendars, and demand for premium seats are often more driven by mileage redemptions than direct purchase of a premium cabin seat. AC, like most every airline, has a lot of wide body aircraft to spare, as most long haul markets are quite limited and will remain so throughout this year. They have to send the planes somewhere, to help maintain pilot ratings and hours. For the same reason, US carriers are putting Dreamliners, A330s, A350s, and 777s on a lot of domestic runs, Air Canada is putting its largest jets in markets that are more accessible to travelers. YUL-HNL vs. YUL-LHR/CDG are two entirely different yield profiles.

dr1980

Sat May 15, 2021 9:07 pm

I think most eastern Canadians are conditioned to beach destinations being 3-4 hours away. If I’m flying 11 hours I’m expecting something different. But having said that, Hawaii would be an amazing vacation that offers different things than a typical Caribbean trip, it’s more than just a beach vacation.
Dave/CYHZ

Dominion301

Sat May 15, 2021 10:15 pm

YUL-HNL will be the longest ever transborder route at 7,908 km. To put things in perspective, that’s 201 km LONGER than YUL-IST on TK. Impressive!

Cubsrule

Sat May 15, 2021 10:21 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

I think the issue is more so that it's a beach destination that is 3 times as far as other interesting beach destinations. I like Hawaii a lot but it's hard to justify spending a day getting there when I can leave my house at about the same time and be on the beach in Puerto Rico by lunchtime (and Canadians have ready access to Cuba, so the time difference is even a bit bigger for them). The advantage of Hawaii for folks in the US is that it's a domestic flight. Perhaps there is some advantage for Canadians in going to the States because of preclearance, but there's still a border crossing involved.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

beechnut

Sat May 15, 2021 10:33 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

First of all, this flight will cost two days of vacation time, not small potatoes for someone with only two weeks vacation. Then there’s jet lag to add to that. There no jet lag on a north/south flight.

I’ve known some folks who have gone to Hawaii from YUL (with connections) and they found the jet lag a big negative. Europe is much easier.

Might be a hit with wealthy retirees with lots of time on their hands, but not so much for someone trying to split their vacation time between summer and winter holidays.

B752OS

Sun May 16, 2021 12:02 am

In general, do people in the Montreal area have a high propensity to travel?

Whywhyjay

Sun May 16, 2021 12:03 am

jake112 wrote:
Why why jay maybe you could advz us your random dates!!!! On the days that AC operates (days 4/5/7) I did some random checking myself.
DEC19/RTN DEC26.......AC787...........WJ 1120
JAN14/RTN JAN21........AC737...........WJ. 737
FEB6/RTN FEB13...........AC737..........WJ. 737
-feel free to verify my numbers
-of course if you compare the days when ac does not operate a flight the fares will be a lot more expensive as
You are likely connecting in SFO or LAX
-all in all I find your post to be quite misleading

I checked again today and you are right, AC must have updated their fares, for Jan 14-23 the lowest fare is 748.86 on both WJ and AC (this is ex - YYJ). The fact that my TD card gets me a "free" bag puts AC ahead on fare. I was surprised to see that WJ had made this route daily and had hoped that AC would do the same. When I initially checked the AC fares on the day of my post they were showing over $600 one way, obviously they have adjusted this down to match. I'm not sure why you found my post misleading this was simply what I saw at the time.
Whywhyjay?
Vickers Viscount. DHC-3, 6, 7, 8, Q-400 CRJ. 720-B, 727, 732, 738, 739, 742, 744, 762, 773, 788. DC-3, 9,10, MD-81.
A-310, 319, 320, 333. E-190. L-1011. BAE-ATP.

YQBexYHZBGM

Sun May 16, 2021 12:45 am

B752OS wrote:

Yes.

Airontario

Sun May 16, 2021 1:26 am

B752OS wrote:

Quebecers in general travel in greater numbers than the rest of Canada.

visual8L

Sun May 16, 2021 1:42 am

Dominion301 wrote:
YUL-HNL will be the longest ever transborder route at 7,908 km. To put things in perspective, that’s 201 km LONGER than YUL-IST on TK. Impressive!

Wow-question-will this be the longest beverage service only/buy on board flight?
‘Agree to disagree’ is generally suggested by the person who insists on remaining the asshole.

usxguy

Sun May 16, 2021 3:03 am

I've flown on AC in J/W on the 787-900s to/from Hawai'i and it was hands down better than even Hawaiian. Even though my W seat on AC was in a middle and red-eye back to Van, it was much more comfortable than any 737 doing the transpac flying in the States or Canada right now. At least now it will be AC metal out of Van instead of Omni, that was always an odd sight @ the transborder gates!
xx

Skywatcher

Sun May 16, 2021 2:33 pm

Quebecers do not have higher travel rates than other Canadians. They are lower than all other provinces except New Brunswick. This is largely due to their lower domestic Canada/USA travel rates. On the other hand air travel rates internationally are higher than average.
Canadians display the same aspects in relation to USA air travel rates. Lower overall but far higher internationally.

EdmFlyBoi

Sun May 16, 2021 8:07 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
Don’t count on it sticking around in the long term.

Agree. Canadians are anxious to travel and Hawaii will be a very COVID friendly destination all things considered. The flight is timed to draw from Ottawa, Southwestern Ontario (to supplement YYZ), and the Maritimes, which may be enough to fill a wide body. Eastern Canadians may see this as a convenient way to travel to a place they normally don't travel to, especially as it is as far as a good portion of southern Europe.

Vicenza

Sun May 16, 2021 8:23 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

I think the issue is more so that it's a beach destination that is 3 times as far as other interesting beach destinations. I like Hawaii a lot but it's hard to justify spending a day getting there when I can leave my house at about the same time and be on the beach in Puerto Rico by lunchtime (and Canadians have ready access to Cuba, so the time difference is even a bit bigger for them). The advantage of Hawaii for folks in the US is that it's a domestic flight. Perhaps there is some advantage for Canadians in going to the States because of preclearance, but there's still a border crossing involved.

Fair and valid enough point, although none of that was included in the members post. However, it obviously relates more to North Americans (and granted it is a Canadian flight) as Europeans would see it more as normal. That's the reason I queried the tone/nuance.

Iloveboeing

Sun May 16, 2021 9:26 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

The thing is, though, I read somewhere that Hawaii doesn’t have enough hotel rooms to meet this massive influx in demand. So, with the increase in American and now Canadian tourists, where are they going to stay? The hotel rates are going to be through the roof, not to mention the car rentals. My brother lives in Alaska and works in the rental car industry and their situation is becoming similar to Hawaii’s.

Vio

Sun May 16, 2021 9:54 pm

Everyone is patiently waiting for the borders to open up, so we can travel like the free citizens we are. I personally can't wait to go on a trip. I've flown hundreds of times during this pandemic, but not one [of those trips] was for "vacation purpose". It was all work. I think everyone is looking forward to a nice trip to the US, Caribbean, Hawaii, Europe or elsewhere.
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

AC853

Sun May 16, 2021 11:43 pm

visual8L wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Wow-question-will this be the longest beverage service only/buy on board flight?

I believe YYZ-HNL has had full meal service in economy for this flight.

CrewBunk

Sun May 16, 2021 11:59 pm

AC853 wrote:
visual8L wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Yes. Both mainline and Rouge. A full hot dinner after takeoff and light snack before landing. The red-eye return had a light snack after takeoff and full hot breakfast before landing.
If you respond with a two page answer, obviously pre-prepared, I’m not going to bother reading it. Odds are, no one else is either!

gwrudolph

Mon May 17, 2021 12:14 am

Not sure what the issue is here. United flies EWR-HNL which is longer than YUL HNL and it is fairly full every day. ORD-HNL is only slightly shorter.

The journey is worth it. East Coast US Americans do those long hauls to Hawaii all the time no problem.

The Carib and Hawaii just aren’t the same, and if one hasn’t been to Hawaii it is worth the visit and the long journey. Hawaii has great beaches, night life, fantastic adventure tours and hiking, and the Polynesian culture. It is really is a great place!

visual8L

Mon May 17, 2021 2:15 am

CrewBunk wrote:
AC853 wrote:
visual8L wrote:

Yes. Both mainline and Rouge. A full hot dinner after takeoff and light snack before landing. The red-eye return had a light snack after takeoff and full hot breakfast before landing.

For which cabin? The 3 coach YYZHNL Rouge I’ve taken were buy on board. The 2 mainline (763 and 789) were the same -comp bev service and buy on board. Is a change coming this season?
‘Agree to disagree’ is generally suggested by the person who insists on remaining the asshole.

Noise

Mon May 17, 2021 2:38 am

Hawaii and the Caribbean are two different vacation markets. I don't think HNL's distance from YUL will deter people from traveling between the two markets. Hawaii is special and there will always be draw for Canadians from all parts of Canada.

haynflyer

Mon May 17, 2021 3:29 am

As a person who was born and raised in Hawaii, who still lives here now, and who lives part-time in Montréal; I think I can shed a bit of insight here.

1. Tons of Canadian snowbirds own apartments in Honolulu making them immune to any hotel room shortage or hotel room rates.
2. Judging from the ease in which I can exchange my apartment in Waikiki with a person in Montréal, I'd say the demand is fairly strong for YUL-HNL, and certainly enough for a two-day-weekly service.

I think this flight will do well. I just hope they extend it beyond the winter months!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos