Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ContinentalEWR
Topic Author

LH EWR to MLA Nonstop - A350

Sun May 16, 2021 2:48 pm

OMAAT is reporting that LH will operate up to 3 x weekly nonstop from EWR to MLA, on an A350 starting June 30th through October 15th. I can't recall there ever being a nonstop from the US to Malta, let alone on a third party carrier. Even more strange is that this flight will supposedly operate in place of EWR-MUC, which had been suspended.

Unclear if this is cargo or pax only. Seems weird to be a cargo route honestly, as much of that can and does go through Europe.

Will be interesting to see. Malta is more of a cruise-stop for US originating vacationers than a destination but it is a popular place for Europeans to visit.

The route will supposedly not operate consistently across set days of the week and will fly alternating days of the week.

hoons90

Re: LH EWR to MLA Nonstop - A350

Sun May 16, 2021 3:38 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
I can't recall there ever being a nonstop from the US to Malta

ATA operated a 757 on MLA-JFK in 2000, on behalf of Air Malta.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

AC4500

Sun May 16, 2021 3:39 pm

Link to Source: https://onemileatatime.com/lufthansa-ne ... lta-route/

Lufthansa has a dedicated cargo fleet of their own, so I would think that they'd use one of those aircraft if this route was to be solely used for cargo.
Next:
UA: PDX-EWR-DCA
WN: BWI-STL-PDX

AirMitko

Sun May 16, 2021 3:53 pm

Balkan, Bulgarian Airlines operated SOF-MLA-JFK-MLA-SOF flights sometimes in the 90s with 767-200 on agreement with Air Malta.
AB6 313 318/19/20/2N/21/2Q 332/3/9 343/5/6 359 388 717 733/4/5/6/G/8/9/M8 74E/4/8 752/3 763 772/3 788/9 AN4 AT4/7 AR1/8 141/2/3 CNJ CR2/7/9/K CS1/3 DHT/2/4 D28/38 ER3/4 E70/75/90/95 FRJ F50/70/100 IL8/9 J32/41 L4T M82/3 TU3/5 SF3 S20 SU9 NDE TRN

airzim

Sun May 16, 2021 3:59 pm

AirMitko wrote:
Balkan, Bulgarian Airlines operated SOF-MLA-JFK-MLA-SOF flights sometimes in the 90s with 767-200 on agreement with Air Malta.

Didn't Gulf Air also operate a stop in MLA along with LCA on their BAH-JFK-IAH service?

dcajet

Sun May 16, 2021 4:00 pm

AC4500 wrote:

Lufthansa has a dedicated cargo fleet of their own, so I would think that they'd use one of those aircraft if this route was to be solely used for cargo.

Purely speculating here, but their dedicated cargo fleet is most likely be fully utilized so these cargo flights (?)¨ may be a good way to improve utilization on the mainline fleet while picking up additional cargo business.

Or another possibility, cruise business?
Keep calm and wash your hands.

hpff

Sun May 16, 2021 4:25 pm

At least from the UK government's perspective Malta is one of the "green" European international destinations at the moment, this may be a way to stimulate some demand for European summer tourism to an "approved" destination.

seansasLCY

Sun May 16, 2021 4:33 pm

hpff wrote:
At least from the UK government's perspective Malta is one of the "green" European international destinations at the moment, this may be a way to stimulate some demand for European summer tourism to an "approved" destination.

Malta isn’t on the green list for UK at the moment. Portugal is the only sun holiday destination in Europe on the list. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-a ... green-list

880dc8707

Sun May 16, 2021 4:38 pm

Quite a few cruises will be homeporting from Valetta, A lot of Viking, P&O, plus others.

zrs70

Sun May 16, 2021 5:03 pm

I spent a night in Marla a couple of summers ago. It was a real treat, though I’m not sure if I could spend more than 2-3 days there.

It was part of a wonderful flying expedition. I flew SIN-LHR on the then new SQ suite. I then got down to Malta. Flew Malta to Cyprus on Emirates in F. It was an awesome 2 hour flight!
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

Ionosphere

Sun May 16, 2021 5:13 pm

airzim wrote:
AirMitko wrote:

Didn't Gulf Air also operate a stop in MLA along with LCA on their BAH-JFK-IAH service?

I believe Gulf Air stopped in Larnaca

Vicenza

Sun May 16, 2021 5:22 pm

dcajet wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Purely speculating here, but their dedicated cargo fleet is most likely be fully utilized so these cargo flights (?)¨ may be a good way to improve utilization on the mainline fleet while picking up additional cargo business.

Not many cruises use Malta as a destination/stop, and I certainly wouldn't think enough to warrant a direct flight from New York. Malta is more of a destination itself. Happy to be told if I'm incorrect though.

seansasLCY

Sun May 16, 2021 5:46 pm

Vicenza wrote:
dcajet wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Not many cruises use Malta as a destination/stop, and I certainly wouldn't think enough to warrant a direct flight from New York. Malta is more of a destination itself. Happy to be told if I'm incorrect though.

Apparently Viking have announced two ships to be based in Malta for this summer.

panamair

Sun May 16, 2021 6:01 pm

Flights are specific arrangements with Viking Cruise Lines. Viking will be operating two different itineraries out of Valletta this summer and these flights are timed to operate with the cruise dates.

Vicenza

Sun May 16, 2021 6:54 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Apparently Viking have announced two ships to be based in Malta for this summer.

Cheers! Was unaware of that, but glad to hear it. Certainly on the numerous Mediterranean cruises I have taken (2 per year except and this) none have ever included Malta

amc737

Sun May 16, 2021 7:01 pm

Hi all

To confirm the Balkan 767 flight operated during summer 1996 using the 2 767-200ERs they had leased from Air France, F-GHGD & F-GHGE. Flights use to operate on a Friday from Malta to New York JFK I think the flight number was LZ603, the return departed JFK on a Monday and arrived in Malta on a Tuesday afternoon, that flight number was LZ604. At the time Air Malta was promoting Malta as a hub using 4 RJ-70's to various points around the Mediterranean.

As has been mentioned the second attempt was using an American Trans Air 757 via Shannon, this lasted 1 season in 2000, running from 22 June to 4 September. This had Air Malta flight numbers operating as KM870/871. Using an ATA 757 meant the flight originated in New York on a Thursday and Sunday, arriving in Malta on a Friday and Monday and returning to JFK the same day. You could also buy Malta to Shannon and return. Apparently Air Malta lost a lot of money, which is probably why it never returned.

amc737

ContinentalEWR
Topic Author

Sun May 16, 2021 7:18 pm

amc737 wrote:
Hi all

To confirm the Balkan 767 flight operated during summer 1996 using the 2 767-200ERs they had leased from Air France, F-GHGD & F-GHGE. Flights use to operate on a Friday from Malta to New York JFK I think the flight number was LZ603, the return departed JFK on a Monday and arrived in Malta on a Tuesday afternoon, that flight number was LZ604. At the time Air Malta was promoting Malta as a hub using 4 RJ-70's to various points around the Mediterranean.

As has been mentioned the second attempt was using an American Trans Air 757 via Shannon, this lasted 1 season in 2000, running from 22 June to 4 September. This had Air Malta flight numbers operating as KM870/871. Using an ATA 757 meant the flight originated in New York on a Thursday and Sunday, arriving in Malta on a Friday and Monday and returning to JFK the same day. You could also buy Malta to Shannon and return. Apparently Air Malta lost a lot of money, which is probably why it never returned.

amc737

Thanks for the information. Had no idea. Interesting to say the least.

hpff

Mon May 17, 2021 12:12 am

seansasLCY wrote:
hpff wrote:

Malta isn’t on the green list for UK at the moment. Portugal is the only sun holiday destination in Europe on the list. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-a ... green-list

Thanks for the correction! Thought I saw it identified on a map a couple weeks ago, something must have changed.

spinkid

Mon May 17, 2021 1:06 am

panamair wrote:
Flights are specific arrangements with Viking Cruise Lines. Viking will be operating two different itineraries out of Valletta this summer and these flights are timed to operate with the cruise dates.

Sounds like they are banking on the large number of Americans who are vaccinated and willing to cruise. Having a non stop flight option makes it a much nicer travel option for hesitant travelers.

EBiafore99

Mon May 17, 2021 5:00 pm

spinkid wrote:
panamair wrote:

Sounds like they are banking on the large number of Americans who are vaccinated and willing to cruise. Having a non stop flight option makes it a much nicer travel option for hesitant travelers.

OMAAT mentioned a coupe of things...first, Viking's biggest customer base was the USA. Also, the flights are not available to the public, i.e. - you can only book the flights as part of the cruise package. This sounds more like a charter, I would assume to get past the "freedom" rights (I don't know if those rights apply to charter flights).

ScottB

Mon May 17, 2021 5:12 pm

EBiafore99 wrote:
This sounds more like a charter, I would assume to get past the "freedom" rights (I don't know if those rights apply to charter flights).

I don't think rights would be an issue. Malta is an EU country and LH is an EU carrier, so they should have rights to operate between any points in the EU and US (subject to those points accepting international passenger flights.

rbavfan

Mon May 17, 2021 5:17 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
OMAAT is reporting that LH will operate up to 3 x weekly nonstop from EWR to MLA, on an A350 starting June 30th through October 15th. I can't recall there ever being a nonstop from the US to Malta, let alone on a third party carrier. Even more strange is that this flight will supposedly operate in place of EWR-MUC, which had been suspended.

Unclear if this is cargo or pax only. Seems weird to be a cargo route honestly, as much of that can and does go through Europe.

Will be interesting to see. Malta is more of a cruise-stop for US originating vacationers than a destination but it is a popular place for Europeans to visit.

The route will supposedly not operate consistently across set days of the week and will fly alternating days of the week.

You realize Malta is a Southern European Island nation & part of the EU. So the cargo would still be going though Europe.

rbavfan

Mon May 17, 2021 5:28 pm

airzim wrote:
AirMitko wrote:

The poster noted there was not a non stop flight to Malta. We already know there have been many 1 or 2 stop direct flights & some with transfers.

DocLightning

Mon May 17, 2021 5:30 pm

panamair wrote:

Ahhh! :idea:

I was just thinking than an A359 is an awful lot of airplane for such a route, but now it makes much more sense.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ContinentalEWR
Topic Author

Mon May 17, 2021 5:38 pm

OMAAT updated their post. This is not open for public sale, it is for Viking Cruise lines, and their customers on itineraries to/from Malta. As to the other snark further up the chain about previous nonstops between NYC and Malta, that has been answered well by others. ATA and Balkan Bulgarian did serve the market in 2000 and in 1996 respectively.

lesfalls

Mon May 17, 2021 10:14 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
OMAAT updated their post. This is not open for public sale, it is for Viking Cruise lines, and their customers on itineraries to/from Malta. As to the other snark further up the chain about previous nonstops between NYC and Malta, that has been answered well by others. ATA and Balkan Bulgarian did serve the market in 2000 and in 1996 respectively.

Could be they are still working out how many passengers per flight will be going on the cruise ships before they sell the tickets to the public?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

airzim

Mon May 17, 2021 10:52 pm

rbavfan wrote:
airzim wrote:
AirMitko wrote:

The poster noted there was not a non stop flight to Malta. We already know there have been many 1 or 2 stop direct flights & some with transfers.

I got that. I was postulating that GF flew BAH-LCA-MLA-JFK-IAH return in the mid 90's at one point. I thought they dropped the MLA segment, and just did BAH-LCA-JFK-IAH but I can't find any evidence of a MLA stop. But if they did stop in MLA, it would have been nonstop to JFK. But my memory might also be shot.

ScottB

Tue May 18, 2021 5:10 am

lesfalls wrote:
Could be they are still working out how many passengers per flight will be going on the cruise ships before they sell the tickets to the public?

Viking can probably fill every seat on an A350 with passengers for its cruises, even though their ocean-going ships are smaller than the massive floating resorts operated by Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, etc. They do a lot of air-inclusive bookings so it's easy enough for them to put their American passengers on the LH flight from EWR. Further, it probably helps smooth the travel experience since they can guide the arriving passengers through whatever health formalities might be required and not have to worry about passengers getting stuck at some European hub airport due to a positive Covid test or missing vaccination card.

ContinentalEWR
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2021 11:23 am

ScottB wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

Viking can probably fill every seat on an A350 with passengers for its cruises, even though their ocean-going ships are smaller than the massive floating resorts operated by Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, etc. They do a lot of air-inclusive bookings so it's easy enough for them to put their American passengers on the LH flight from EWR. Further, it probably helps smooth the travel experience since they can guide the arriving passengers through whatever health formalities might be required and not have to worry about passengers getting stuck at some European hub airport due to a positive Covid test or missing vaccination card.

That is very likely the rationale behind this route and arrangement. The cruise industry requires even more guardrails than air travel nowadays and so this makes sense. The bookings on the cruises must be strong enough to warrant up to 3 weekly flights.

amc737

Tue May 18, 2021 12:22 pm

The fly cruise concept has worked at Malta for many years, TUI cruises have based one of the Mein Schiff boats in Malta each summer operating a 7 or 14 day cruise package meaning Sunday was German charter day at the airport with Air Berlin, Germania, TUI, Condor etc flights operating from all the main cities in Germany in addition to Air Malta flights as the boat would typically leave at 22:00 from Valletta Sunday night and return early the following Sunday. P&O have also based a liner in Malta in recent years.

In terms of Gulf Air, they have never flown to Malta themselves however did codeshare with Air Malta when they operated Malta-Dubai-Bahrain-Malta.

amc737

bennett123

Tue May 18, 2021 9:02 pm

Vicenza wrote:
dcajet wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Jus looked at my 2016 pictures. In one week I saw the following in Malta;

Poesia 3,605 passengers
Armonia 2,065 passengers
Costa Pacifica 3,780 passengers

I may have missed some.

The Grand Harbour is more than capable of taking very large ships. Clearly not everyone will be from the US, but if a cruise starts or ends in Malta an A350 would not be excessive..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos