Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DTWLAX
Topic Author

LH Crew Change in Bahrain for India Flights

Sun May 16, 2021 7:13 pm

Due to the current COVID situation in India, LH had been stopping in Dubai for crew changes. Now LH is going to start doing that in Bahrain because UAE changed rules.
This is to avoid the LH crew having layovers in India.

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 609_1.html

I was not aware of LH doing this. Are any other carriers doing this? Stopping in other countries to avoid having crew layovers in India? What about AF or KLM?

jetskipper

Re: LH Crew Change in Bahrain for India Flights

Sun May 16, 2021 7:19 pm

Not directly related, but at the end of United’s service to Caracas, United had their crews overnight in Aruba and then would fly an AUA-CCS-AUA turn. Not unusual to avoid layovers in cities for crew safety be it for geopolitical or health reasons.

flyPIT

Sun May 16, 2021 7:33 pm

My carrier ended India layovers a few weeks ago.
FLYi

Flanker7

Sun May 16, 2021 7:52 pm

DTWLAX wrote:
Due to the current COVID situation in India, LH had been stopping in Dubai for crew changes. Now LH is going to start doing that in Bahrain because UAE changed rules.
This is to avoid the LH crew having layovers in India.

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 609_1.html

I was not aware of LH doing this. Are any other carriers doing this? Stopping in other countries to avoid having crew layovers in India? What about AF or KLM?

Klm still has the layover in Mumbai only.
Flying blue only if possible

factsonly

Sun May 16, 2021 8:26 pm

Flanker7 wrote:

KLM still has the layover in Mumbai only.

In April KLM operated AMS-DXB-DEL-AMS daily with B781/B77W and a crew change in DXB, much like LH.

This changed in May to AMS-DEL-BOM-AMS on B77W with a crew change in BOM, as Flanker7 stated.
The daily AMS-DEL-BOM-AMS service is in addition to the 4x weekly AMS-BOM-AMS service, so double KL flights BOM-AMS on four days a week at present.
All India flights are tightly restricted in pax acceptance at present, so they carry mostly cargo.

330lover

Sun May 16, 2021 9:35 pm

This situation makes me think of this:

What if one set of crew operates the outbound flight, and another crew flies along on that same flight as passenger (business class, maybe, so that they can get a good rest).
Would they be allowed to operate the return flight, bringing the 1st crew immediately back home?
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

trex8

Sun May 16, 2021 10:02 pm

330lover wrote:

What if one set of crew operates the outbound flight, and another crew flies along on that same flight as passenger (business class, maybe, so that they can get a good rest).
Would they be allowed to operate the return flight, bringing the 1st crew immediately back home?

Im pretty sure at least BA were doing that on flights to the FarEast last year.

bamf777

Sun May 16, 2021 10:10 pm

trex8 wrote:
330lover wrote:

Im pretty sure at least BA were doing that on flights to the FarEast last year.

BA are doing this currently on India flights. F cabin is blocked for crew rest. 2 crews operate, one for the outbound and another for the inbound.
The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent those of my employers positions, strategies or opinions

debonair

Sun May 16, 2021 10:43 pm

bamf777 wrote:
BA are doing this currently on India flights. F cabin is blocked for crew rest. 2 crews operate, one for the outbound and another for the inbound.

Wow, cant believe that's legal... On the other hand, Iran Air doing same to Europe. But, AFAIK, it wouldn't be possible under German law, let alone under LH labour union contracts. Proceeding to India would count for half of the flight time plus turnaround and return flight...

armagnac2010

Sun May 16, 2021 11:20 pm

That's not legal in normal circumstances, but ICAO has allowed for States issuing exemptions, to address various emergency situations resulting from the pandemic.

Of course interpretation might slightly different from one state to another.

jetskipper

Mon May 17, 2021 12:49 am

[twoid][/twoid]
debonair wrote:
bamf777 wrote:

Wow, cant believe that's legal... On the other hand, Iran Air doing same to Europe. But, AFAIK, it wouldn't be possible under German law, let alone under LH labour union contracts. Proceeding to India would count for half of the flight time plus turnaround and return flight...

I’m guessing that is a highly desirable trip. The crews that would have been gone from home three days are now only away from base for 19-20 hours. Same pay, extra days off.

debonair

Mon May 17, 2021 1:08 am

armagnac2010 wrote:
That's not legal in normal circumstances, but ICAO has allowed for States issuing exemptions, to address various emergency situations resulting from the pandemic.

Thank you... Wasn't there an air Baltic A220 flight flying with a set of three flying to China and back for collecting PPE? Would make sense!

I just discovered, that I did a mistake myself. Proceeding after duty is count half in Germany AFAIK, so for the crew to India it would be possible. But for the crew from India, the proceeding would count as full duty hours.

lightsaber

Mon May 17, 2021 1:20 am

For the crew's peace of mind alone, this makes sense.

debonair wrote:
armagnac2010 wrote:

Thank you... Wasn't there an air Baltic A220 flight flying with a set of three flying to China and back for collecting PPE? Would make sense!

I just discovered, that I did a mistake myself. Proceeding after duty is count half in Germany AFAIK, so for the crew to India it would be possible. But for the crew from India, the proceeding would count as full duty hours.

What is not legal? This is all variations of crew changes that I've read about. Sleep in a F seat, then fly or staying in Bahrain? They both make sense to me.

Lightsaber
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Flanker7

Mon May 17, 2021 7:26 am

In the early stages of the pandemic klm had a similar operation to certain destinations. Working crew outbound flew directly home and the dead heading crew worked the inbound stretch.
Flying blue only if possible

ajs123uk

Mon May 17, 2021 8:40 am

ajs123uk wrote:
@jetskipper
I’m guessing that is a highly desirable trip. The crews that would have been gone from home three days are now only away from base for 19-20 hours. Same pay, extra days off.

I can assure you it is not a popular trip at all!! (and you actually get less money for it than you would a three day “normal” trip but it’s not always about the money they makes it popular).
I’ve done one and not looking forward to doing another one

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos