Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

T4thH

Re: Updated: WOW Air to relaunch as MOM

Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:52 pm

So, the art project MOM Air of artist Oddur Eysteinn Friðriksson, AKA Odee, from Iceland, has now ended.

Yes, it was all fake. :lol:

So you have not to bring your one livejacket, toilet paper and soap for your flight with you.
https://onemileatatime.com/mom-air-artwork-not-real/

klm617

Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:33 am

T4thH wrote:
So, the art project MOM Air of artist Oddur Eysteinn Friðriksson, AKA Odee, from Iceland, has now ended.

So you have not to bring your one livejacket, toilet paper and soap for your flight with you.

I can't believe there are actually people on this forum that took this seriously. It had spoof written all over it.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

avier

Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:26 am

klm617 wrote:
T4thH wrote:

I can't believe there are actually people on this forum that took this seriously. It had spoof written all over it.

Yeah, you clearly were vouching for it throughout the forum.

This reincarnation (of WOW air) did look like a joke right from the start. Glad they've clarified it and not kept a.net buzzing with some joke airline.

PANAMsterdam

Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:30 am

Up next: EOE air, just turn those letters another 90 degrees :lol:
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

debonair

Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:09 pm

klm617 wrote:

And even the topic title was changed... :bigthumbsup:

hvusslax

Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:45 pm

debonair wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Someone should probably change that back... for all the people who only read headlines.

I'll admit it was a pretty funny and well done piece of performance art.

atcsundevil

Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:03 am

Please keep posts on topic. Posts attacking other users will be removed, and users may be warned or banned.

✈️ atcsundevil

T4thH

Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:03 pm

hvusslax wrote:
debonair wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Someone should probably change that back... for all the people who only read headlines.

I'll admit it was a pretty funny and well done piece of performance art.

The whole story shows, WOW is dead. But yes, it was a funny art performance, especially as many online newspapers took the story for serious/half serious for some time. But the MOM story is now a part of the whole WOW story.

Update, yes, perhaps like "Updated: WOW Air, "Art performance MOM""
Change back? No, as said, MOM is now a part of the WOW story.

Someone83

Sun May 16, 2021 4:28 pm

Ishrion

Sun May 16, 2021 4:39 pm

Someone83 wrote:

Might be better for a new thread.

For whatever reason, the MOM Air thread was consolidated into the PLAY Airlines thread and the title was changed. MOM Air turned out to be fake anyway.

Someone83

PLAY - Icelandic ULCC Status

Mon May 17, 2021 5:45 am

As PLAY now is rising fro the ashes of WOW, this new Icelandic airlines deserves it own thread

AOC was received yesterday, and the first 3 A321neo has been signed with the AerCap, all ex-Interjet MSN7939, 7945 and 8008

MSN8008 will arrive first as TF-AEW, and is currently in Houston being painted

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/play ... tinations/

Tickets is yet to go on sale, but first route is said to be KEF-STN. Other planned destinations in Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris, Barcelona, Alicante and Tenerife, with routes to the US being added in 2022

eaa3

Re: PLAY - Icelandic ULCC Status

Mon May 17, 2021 6:03 am

It’s not really rising from the ashes of WOW. It has some staff that worked at WOW, but the relationship ends there.

It’s a well funded new airline. They’ve raised around $50m and are planning to raise more from an IPO.

PANAMsterdam

Mon May 17, 2021 10:48 am

Is it already known what their IATA/ICAO codes and Callsign will be?
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

SwissCanuck

Mon May 17, 2021 11:46 am

This sounds more plausible than "replacing flight attendants with picnic baskets" ...

Breathe

Mon May 17, 2021 1:21 pm

Nice to see some good news in the aviation world once in a while.

Good luck to them, hopefully they'll be more successful than WOWair.

davidjohnson6

Mon May 17, 2021 1:38 pm

The aviation24.be article mentions flights starting on 24 June, but nothing is on sale yet. This is not a good sign

BWIAirport

Mon May 17, 2021 2:34 pm

They can definitely learn from WOW, who had a successful US operation with BWI, BOS, and EWR; then tried to expand to every municipality and got too big for its britches.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL, FFT | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B38M B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

Breathe

Mon May 17, 2021 3:13 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
They can definitely learn from WOW, who had a successful US operation with BWI, BOS, and EWR; then tried to expand to every municipality and got too big for its britches.

Yup, they seemed to make the same mistake as Norwegian and over expanded. Ordering the A330neo and flying to India being good examples. If they can stick to some core markets like WOW did at the start, then I'm sure they can carve out a profitable niche market.

Someone83

Mon May 17, 2021 3:30 pm

eaa3 wrote:
It’s not really rising from the ashes of WOW. It has some staff that worked at WOW, but the relationship ends there.

Technically you are of course correct, but PLAY would never had happen if WOW didn't go under

MartijnNL

Mon May 17, 2021 3:45 pm

I would have preferred WOW to have started again.
They still owe me a return flight to Iceland. :evil:

jmmadrid

Mon May 17, 2021 4:30 pm

Breathe wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

Yup, they seemed to make the same mistake as Norwegian and over expanded. Ordering the A330neo and flying to India being good examples. If they can stick to some core markets like WOW did at the start, then I'm sure they can carve out a profitable niche market.

I believe that it has to do with critical mass.
It seems that airlines need to achieve a certain critical mass before they can even start thinking about making a profit. This is probably even more true in airlines that work with a hub+ connections business model.
I'm not saying this is true, I'm not saying this is how it should be, I'm just saying that it seems to be the reason for that rushiness that defies common sense and caution.
Don’t confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Polot

Mon May 17, 2021 4:49 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
Breathe wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

It seems that airlines need to achieve a certain critical mass before they can even start thinking about making a profit. This is probably even more true in airlines that work with a hub+ connections business model.
I'm not saying this is true, I'm not saying this is how it should be, I'm just saying that it seems to be the reason for that rushiness that defies common sense and caution.

That’s true, but WOW’s rush to the A330 was a huge mistake and a big distraction. Something I believe even their leadership acknowledged when WOW was on their deathbed or shortly thereafter. They underestimated the complexity of the wide body ops and the ease of filling the dense cabin year round, especially since they were always a tiny airline.

hvusslax

Mon May 17, 2021 6:59 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
Breathe wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

For a couple of years, they did turn a profit. It was a pretty good operation when they were limited to 4-5 destinations in North America and only operated narrowbody aircraft.

MIflyer12

Mon May 17, 2021 8:20 pm

Someone83 wrote:
eaa3 wrote:

Technically you are of course correct, but PLAY would never had happen if WOW didn't go under

Anybody can argue XX wouldn't have happened in YY didn't go under (in the same city).

You got corrected. Own it.

lesfalls

Mon May 17, 2021 10:12 pm

Polot wrote:
jmmadrid wrote:
Breathe wrote:

That’s true, but WOW’s rush to the A330 was a huge mistake and a big distraction. Something I believe even their leadership acknowledged when WOW was on their deathbed or shortly thereafter. They underestimated the complexity of the wide body ops and the ease of filling the dense cabin year round, especially since they were always a tiny airline.

So a solution could be to wet-lease bigger aircraft in for the season, increasing their margins but giving them the flexibility of a bigger aircraft for a short amount of time?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

Polot

Mon May 17, 2021 10:29 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Polot wrote:
jmmadrid wrote:

So a solution could be to wet-lease bigger aircraft in for the season, increasing their margins but giving them the flexibility of a bigger aircraft for a short amount of time?

No the solution is not to get infected with ‘big-jet-syndrome’, especially when you are a tiny airline only a few years old with a half dozen planes total. Bigger aircraft does not mean bigger margins.

arcticcruiser

Mon May 17, 2021 10:55 pm

Play already seems destined for run in with unions as they are trying to offer East European style remuneration to crews (a la Wizz). The Icelandic labor market is pretty strongly regulated so we will see what happens.

BawliBooch

Tue May 18, 2021 4:01 am

Polot wrote:

Thats unfair!

Their model generally worked well. If those Rolls engine issues had not happened, they might still be around? Then there was the 737MAX fiasco! WOW were just extremely unlucky!
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

davidjohnson6

Tue May 18, 2021 4:26 am

All businesses hit bad luck... but the business model has to be able to tolerate it. If the engine + Max issues didn't kill Wow.... then Covid would have done the job instead.

dabpit

Re: Updated: WOW Air to relaunch as MOM - Play airlines

Tue May 18, 2021 5:04 am

So it appears Play is really launching... (Mods the title of the thread needs to be changed)
The article directly from their website regarding getting an AOC. https://flyplay.com/new-airline-play-ac ... ertificate
It would appear that the first flight will be July 1st, 2021 between London Stansted (STN) and KEF
Routes:
Carpe Diem

davidjohnson6

Tue May 18, 2021 5:22 am

Tickets are now on sale at flyplay.com

PITFlyer330

Tue May 18, 2021 5:35 am

i cant seem to get in. Seems to be a lot of traffic.

First destinations from Reykjavik Keflavik

- Alicante (ALC)
- Barcelona (BCN)
- Berlin (BER)
- Copenhagen (CPH)
- London Stansted (STN)
- Paris (CDG)
- Tenerife (TFS)

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/139 ... 72549?s=20

Someone83

Tue May 18, 2021 6:40 am

PITFlyer330 wrote:

- Alicante (ALC)
- Barcelona (BCN)
- Berlin (BER)
- Copenhagen (CPH)
- London Stansted (STN)
- Paris (CDG)
- Tenerife (TFS)

Frequencies seems to be:

- Alicante (ALC) - 2x weekly from July 20
- Barcelona (BCN) - 2x weekly from July 23
- Berlin (BER) - 4x weekly from July 4
- Copenhagen (CPH) - 2x weekly from July 25, 4x weekly from August 1
- London Stansted (STN) 4x weekly from June 24 4x weekly from July 18
- Paris (CDG) - 4x weekly from July 18
- Tenerife (TFS) - 2x weekly from June 29

IATA code: OG

MartijnNL

Tue May 18, 2021 8:17 am

BawliBooch wrote:
Their model generally worked well. If those Rolls engine issues had not happened, they might still be around? Then there was the 737MAX fiasco! WOW were just extremely unlucky!

Are you really talking about WOW? What engine problems did they have? And what problems caused the MAX grounding to them? Did you mean Norwegian maybe instead of WOW?

What I understand is that WOW expanded to quickly. I wouldn't call that unlucky. Rather unwise.

a320fan

Tue May 18, 2021 8:39 am

BawliBooch wrote:
Polot wrote:
Thats unfair!

Seems you’re thinking of a different airline.

The only aircraft with RR engines Wow operated were the A330-300s. There were no engine issues on this fleet. The rest of the fleet was A320/1, mostly highly proven CEOs with a few NEOs joining near the end. They never operated nor had orders for the 737Max so not sure how that grounding could of affected them. A grounding that was barely 2 weeks old when Wow collapsed.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

Polot

Tue May 18, 2021 9:00 am

BawliBooch wrote:
Polot wrote:

Thats unfair!

I can only assume you are talking about Norwegian, because absolutely none of these issues applied to WOW, a A330 and A32X operator.

lesfalls

Tue May 18, 2021 11:12 am

Someone83 wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:

- Alicante (ALC)
- Barcelona (BCN)
- Berlin (BER)
- Copenhagen (CPH)
- London Stansted (STN)
- Paris (CDG)
- Tenerife (TFS)

Frequencies seems to be:

- Alicante (ALC) - 2x weekly from July 20
- Barcelona (BCN) - 2x weekly from July 23
- Berlin (BER) - 4x weekly from July 4
- Copenhagen (CPH) - 2x weekly from July 25, 4x weekly from August 1
- London Stansted (STN) 4x weekly from June 24 4x weekly from July 18
- Paris (CDG) - 4x weekly from July 18
- Tenerife (TFS) - 2x weekly from June 29

IATA code: OG

All routes that WOW flew in their prime time (except STN). They know where they’ll make money.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

Nicknuzzii

Tue May 18, 2021 11:26 am

Any word on when they’re coming to the US?

Someone83

Tue May 18, 2021 11:45 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Any word on when they’re coming to the US?

They have said early 2022 in their previous communications

aviationjunky

Tue May 18, 2021 4:06 pm

Their website needs so me work, but I'm glad to see another new carrier springing from the ashes. Hope to see them in the US next year!
LAS is Life

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos