Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Northwest1988
Topic Author

Is Silver Airways getting a new livery?

Mon May 17, 2021 6:19 am

Good morning everyone,

Is Silver Airways ditching the pink going forward? One of their newest planes is sporting a white livery not too dissimilar from their original paint job on the Saab’s...

Here is one of them:

https://flightaware.com/photos/view/708 ... ate/page/1

The pink livery isn’t old (or in my opinion bad), just wondering if in this day in age maybe it is a cost saving measure?

VSMUT

Re: Is Silver Airways getting a new livery?

Mon May 17, 2021 6:30 am

It's actually a bit more than just a new livery. The aircraft is second hand, from a different leasing company than all the others. My guess is it's a cheap one that was already painted white, and they just added stickers. Wonder if its a permanent addition or just for the short-term.

MO11

Wed May 19, 2021 12:45 am

VSMUT wrote:
It's actually a bit more than just a new livery. The aircraft is second hand, from a different leasing company than all the others. My guess is it's a cheap one that was already painted white, and they just added stickers. Wonder if its a permanent addition or just for the short-term.

I think it's permanent; one of the "new" ATR72s was repossessed several months ago.

FLALEFTY

Wed May 19, 2021 1:27 am

MO11 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

I think it's permanent; one of the "new" ATR72s was repossessed several months ago.

Silver may still be flying, but they seem to be struggling. Flights to EYW used to be some of their most profitable, but American Eagle (Republic) has started flying E175's from MCO and TPA to EYW making it difficult for Silver to compete with their ATR's. Now rumor has it that Breeze will soon be horning-in with E190 service on Silver's route from TPA to CHS. Silver is also trying to compete on MCO-HSV against F9's A32N service with one of their superannuated (and slow) SF34's.

It ain't easy being pink!

gdavis003

Wed May 19, 2021 1:32 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
MO11 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Silver may still be flying, but they seem to be struggling. Flights to EYW used to be some of their most profitable, but American Eagle (Republic) has started flying E175's from MCO and TPA to EYW making it difficult for Silver to compete with their ATR's. Now rumor has it that Breeze will soon be horning-in with E190 service on Silver's route from TPA to CHS. Silver is also trying to compete on MCO-HSV against F9's A32N service with one of their superannuated (and slow) SF34's.

Most days on the Silver MCO-HSV route are the ATR 42 actually, sometimes the 72. The SF34 is a very occasional sub. Has not been on the route often, and F9 only runs MCO-HSV once a week usually. They've coexisted for quite some time at HSV, and everything seems to be working out alright (for now!)

Max Q

Wed May 19, 2021 2:00 am

Is Silver code sharing with UA or otherwise affiliated ?

Noticed several of their ATR’s sharing United’s terminal in TPA
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

orlandocfi

Wed May 19, 2021 2:23 am

Max Q wrote:

I believe they have cooperative agreements with United and jetBlue (also in the same terminal) but they are not traditional codeshares.

deltairlines

Wed May 19, 2021 2:26 am

orlandocfi wrote:
Max Q wrote:

I believe they have cooperative agreements with United and jetBlue (also in the same terminal) but they are not traditional codeshares.

I've been offered EWR-FLL-TPA (with FLL-TPA on Silver) on United's website, with UA* on FLL-TPA.

I flew them for the first time last month JAX-FLL-TPA; friendly service and was nice to get my first ATR-42 flights.

AWACSooner

Wed May 19, 2021 1:09 pm

deltairlines wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:
Max Q wrote:

I've been offered EWR-FLL-TPA (with FLL-TPA on Silver) on United's website, with UA* on FLL-TPA.

I flew them for the first time last month JAX-FLL-TPA; friendly service and was nice to get my first ATR-42 flights.

Flew them EYW-FLL in February after booking the leg on UA...got exactly zero miles for it. Thanks UA.

JBo

Wed May 19, 2021 1:22 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Silver has FF partnerships with UA and B6, and interline agreements with AA, AS, DL, ANA, Avianca, and BahamasAir.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

FLALEFTY

Wed May 19, 2021 2:36 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Most days on the Silver MCO-HSV route are the ATR 42 actually, sometimes the 72. The SF34 is a very occasional sub. Has not been on the route often, and F9 only runs MCO-HSV once a week usually. They've coexisted for quite some time at HSV, and everything seems to be working out alright (for now!)

You might wonder why the non-stop service between MCO-HSV exists. For that you have to go back to the establishment of the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville. Aerospace engineers and managers in HSV wanted fast service to MCO, which was the closest large airport to Kennedy Space Center. Later, the Army and Air Force moved other missile command headquarters to Huntsville, which increased demand.

The MCO-HSV route was originally established by Southern Airways back in the 1960's. Southern started the route with the Martin 404 then moved to the DC-9 in the early-70's. The route continued under Republic after Southern merged with North Central Airlines. After Republic merged into Northwest, NW built-up their MEM hub. Soon after, the decision was made to drop the non-stop HSV-MCO route and feed HSV traffic through MEM for connection to MCO. HSV's non-stop service to MCO returned when Air Tran came along in 2010, they mostly flew B717's on the route until 2012. After a 6-year gap, in 2018 the non-stop HSV-MCO flights returned with both Silver and Frontier. Overall, demand on this route, and even if it was flown at all, has been determined by the waxing and waning of the US defense and NASA budgets.

usxguy

Wed May 19, 2021 4:48 pm

Paint isn't cheap - so it is easy to assume they are just preserving cash as much as they can.
xx

BigTikiGuy

Thu May 20, 2021 3:37 am

MO11 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

I don't think the aircraft was repossed but was just returned voluntarily by Silver after the lessor started to default on loans. Makes sense if there are cheaper leases in the works and demand is so low.

They wouldn't be the only airline returning aircraft to lessors.

SRQLOT

Thu May 20, 2021 5:08 am

I said it before, I don’t understand why Silver isn’t in SRQ, which would match more of their premium pricing compared to TPAs.

And I have heard in the past that the name Silver is after all the silver hair in the state? Lol. It made sense to change the colors as more younger people moved into the state of Florida.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4 F9
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 772 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E70/75/95 (PA28,152)

MO11

Thu May 20, 2021 1:26 pm

BigTikiGuy wrote:
MO11 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

I don't think the aircraft was repossed but was just returned voluntarily by Silver after the lessor started to default on loans. Makes sense if there are cheaper leases in the works and demand is so low..

The paperwork says repossessed; but what is interesting is that when an airline leases a group of airplanes from a single lessor, there is frequently a "cross-default" clause in the lease. If an airplane is in default on one airplane, it is in default on them all. Obviously this didn't happen here.

KCaviator

Thu May 20, 2021 2:08 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
I said it before, I don’t understand why Silver isn’t in SRQ, which would match more of their premium pricing compared to TPAs.

And I have heard in the past that the name Silver is after all the silver hair in the state? Lol. It made sense to change the colors as more younger people moved into the state of Florida.

For being such a concentrated regional and niche airline, there are many markets in Florida I'm surprised they aren't in. SRQ, RSW, PBI, DAB, VPS, and ECP come to mind. Could even see PGD, APF, MLB, MTH, or GNV.

SunsetLimited

Thu May 20, 2021 2:16 pm

KCaviator wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:

For being such a concentrated regional and niche airline, there are many markets in Florida I'm surprised they aren't in. SRQ, RSW, PBI, DAB, VPS, and ECP come to mind. Could even see PGD, APF, MLB, MTH, or GNV.

They’ve pulled out of several of those in recent years.

The airline has always been a head scratcher to me. As in, how they’ve been able to stay in business.
Spread hope like fire.

DeltaRules

Thu May 20, 2021 2:21 pm

KCaviator wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:

They were in DAB for about 5 months (and even painted a Saab in a Daytona Tortugas livery) before abruptly yanking service with not much explanation.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

FLALEFTY

Thu May 20, 2021 3:45 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
KCaviator wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:

They were in DAB for about 5 months (and even painted a Saab in a Daytona Tortugas livery) before abruptly yanking service with not much explanation.

Silver was at GNV several years ago, they once had their maintenance base there. They ended services to GNV in 2015 and moved the maintenance base to MCO (they took over the old Comair maintenance base there). I think there is an active lawsuit between the GNV airport authority and Silver over the latter's early termination of the long-term lease on the maintenance hangars they once used.

In the Florida Panhandle (a.k.a., "Lower Alabama"), Silver has been able to do decent at PNS from MCO & TPA over the years. They fly non-stop from FLL and TPA to TLH, but quit the MCO-TLH route a few years ago. Also, they tried ECP & VPS from both MCO and TPA, but couldn't make those routes work.

Other former Florida cities for Silver included DAB and PBI.

Two SW Florida airports mentioned above, PGD and APF used to be heavily served by the long-defunct commuter airline, PBA. However, things have changed: Allegiant making PGD one of their bases and key markets. The NIMBY problem at APF, who insist on keeping that airport exclusively general aviation (and they would love to ban the biz jets, too!). Expanded airline services at nearby airports, SRQ and RSW, offering passengers better flight choices and lower fares.

MTH is a possibility for Silver. In the recent past Delta Connection tried CRJ7 flights into MTH, but demand was inadequate. Also, there were NIMBY issues since both the approaches & departures go low over Marathon's residential areas. Still, with a good interlining agreement with UA, Silver might make FLL-MTH and even TPA-MTH work with their ATR42's.

The added time required at the airport for passengers to deal with TSA and recent dramatic hikes in car rental rates at the destinations both mess with the time saved factor and economic viability of commuting by air within the state. It takes some long/difficult drives to make commuter airline routes work in Florida. And then some "plumb" commuter routes like MCO & TPA to EYW are getting picked off by Republic flying E175 jets for American Eagle.

Polot

Thu May 20, 2021 3:54 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
The added time required at the airport for passengers to deal with TSA and recent dramatic hikes in car rental rates at the destinations both mess with the time saved factor and economic viability of commuting by air within the state. It takes some long/difficult drives to make commuter airline routes work in Florida. And then some "plumb" commuter routes like MCO & TPA to EYW are getting picked off by Republic flying E175 jets for American Eagle.

Silver also doesn’t always have the best reputation within Florida. Long delays can be pretty common, they don’t run the smoothest operation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos