Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
washingtonflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 1731
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 12:44 pm

Just to show that we're not singling out passengers into/out of MIA, we have a donnybrook in the terminal at LTN with multiple injuries...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 47987.html
 
LH982
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 12:58 pm

Excellent. They can organize a challenge match with Miami
 
acecrackshot
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:22 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 2:27 pm

Having driven through both, if I owned Hell and Luton I’d live in Hell and rent Luton.
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 22259
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 2:30 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
donnybrookl


Forgive me if this veers off the runway into non-av but I'm not familiar with this vernacular. I gather it refers to a fight. Would someone educate me as to geography and perhaps etymology?
 
User avatar
FiscAutTecGarte
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 3:25 pm

Maybe they are Scottish Soccor Holigans?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... ns/2868175

On a serious note.... 8am? Folks are getting their angry on really early.... Maybe a cup of coffee and a chill pill are in order instead of items from the duty free.....
Nonsense has to stop... Maximum penalties for folks caught behaving this way is the only way to curtail it...
 
washingtonflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 1731
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 3:52 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
Maybe they are Scottish Soccor Holigans?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... ns/2868175

On a serious note.... 8am? Folks are getting their angry on really early.... Maybe a cup of coffee and a chill pill are in order instead of items from the duty free.....
Nonsense has to stop... Maximum penalties for folks caught behaving this way is the only way to curtail it...


I'll bet we got a lot of vacationers going to Ibiza or Alicante and they're getting warmed up pre-departure....
 
midexjet
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2000 11:18 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 3:58 pm

Excellent choice of vernacular using donnybrook, although I am partial to the earlier coined phrase significant fisticuffs...
 
ZazuPIT
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 3:59 pm

Two seconds into the video my thought was football fans. They can be an unruly bunch.
 
Breathe
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 4:04 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
Maybe they are Scottish Soccor Holigans?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... ns/2868175

On a serious note.... 8am? Folks are getting their angry on really early.... Maybe a cup of coffee and a chill pill are in order instead of items from the duty free.....
Nonsense has to stop... Maximum penalties for folks caught behaving this way is the only way to curtail it...

Nah. They were busy trashing Glasgow city centre on Saturday:

https://twitter.com/tic1967lisbon/statu ... 8144603142

Full story here if you're interested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... t-57127094
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 4:12 pm

LH982 wrote:
Excellent. They can organize a challenge match with Miami

Luton would win hands down.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2323
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 4:24 pm

ZazuPIT wrote:
Two seconds into the video my thought was football fans. They can be an unruly bunch.


These aren't football hooligans.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 10054
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 4:26 pm

The Miamians would be better armed, and more mobile, although perhaps falling down in laughter at the sight of ruffians arriving in subcompact diesel Vauxhalls.
 
washingtonflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 1731
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 4:42 pm

jeffrey0032j wrote:
LH982 wrote:
Excellent. They can organize a challenge match with Miami

Luton would win hands down.


One thing I've noticed about fights in general is that there is a lot of hugging, scratching, grab assing, and the like. However, I've noticed the Brits tend to throw more heavy-weight punches than you see in the USA.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3867
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 5:00 pm

DocLightning wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
donnybrookl


Forgive me if this veers off the runway into non-av but I'm not familiar with this vernacular. I gather it refers to a fight. Would someone educate me as to geography and perhaps etymology?


A Donnybrook is a fight. It's a local slang.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3867
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 5:03 pm

midexjet wrote:
Excellent choice of vernacular using donnybrook, although I am partial to the earlier coined phrase significant fisticuffs...


Thats a good option as well.
 
acecrackshot
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:22 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 5:03 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
jeffrey0032j wrote:
LH982 wrote:
Excellent. They can organize a challenge match with Miami

Luton would win hands down.


One thing I've noticed about fights in general is that there is a lot of hugging, scratching, grab assing, and the like. However, I've noticed the Brits tend to throw more heavy-weight punches than you see in the USA.


Oh, the Brits (perhaps the Scots) invented the action of “glassing,” which is spectacularly brutal.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5549
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 5:12 pm

The likes of LTN and STN are always interesting to fly out of in the early mornings, pubs are usually packed with young holidaymakers, families and stag/hen parties. You can also expect to see a huge number of passengers returning home on Wizzair's extensive network. I fly regularly from LTN and while the atmosphere is usually jovial, there's always a sense things could turn quite quickly, especially when alcohol is involved that early in the morning.

In this case, from speaking to friends working at the airport, these individuals weren't British holidaymakers and the lack of a police/security presence has been an ongoing concern.
 
Noise
Posts: 2476
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 1999 7:38 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 5:12 pm

Enjoy the decline, guys.
 
S0Y
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 5:13 pm

DocLightning wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
donnybrookl


Forgive me if this veers off the runway into non-av but I'm not familiar with this vernacular. I gather it refers to a fight. Would someone educate me as to geography and perhaps etymology?


A Dublin suburb that was the location of a fairly boisterous fair a few of hundred years ago. Nowadays probably the most expensive residential address in Dublin, more here https://www.dictionary.com/browse/donnybrook
 
alfa164
Posts: 3986
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 5:21 pm

DocLightning wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
donnybrookl

Forgive me if this veers off the runway into non-av but I'm not familiar with this vernacular. I gather it refers to a fight. Would someone educate me as to geography and perhaps etymology?


You mean you're not Irish?

Meaning: A huge brawl, a riot, an uproar. Notes: Donnybrook is a sterling example of a lexical orphan, a word with no derivational relatives. ... The word originated in an Irish Gaelic phrase, Domhnach Broc, meaning "Church of (Saint) Broc".


https://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/donnybrook
 
RvA
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 5:42 pm

Eastern Europeans? Regardless, seems totally unacceptable and unnecessary what was going on there. I’m guessing barely out of puberty and still a tad hormonal?
 
Dreamliner2020
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:36 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 6:20 pm

Going by their names (which have been listed in the media) they’re Eastern European/Romanian. Certainly not Brits for a change.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5216
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 6:39 pm

British people have a really bad tradition of drinking really hard before airplane flights on ULCCs. Not sure why. They start the vacation before they arrive. I will never fly a ULCC out of the UK again. Too much drama and characters on every flight, not sure what caused this or anything. I have flown wizz air in other parts of europe and it seemed fine but the ULCCs something about the UK you see the craziest stuff. Its the miami of Europe for airport bad behavior Luton.

Im gonna guess by the time this was overtired people who maybe got stuck at the airport overnight and trying to get home? Would make the most sense for the early brawl, exhaustion would be my guess. Maybe someone tried to steal something off someone asleep etc or they thought they were
 
seansasLCY
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:25 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 6:51 pm

It was Eastern Europeans and according to another site the fight started over an attempted pickpocketing of a passenger. There was no airport alcohol involved as corona laws mean you couldn’t by any inside at the time.
 
noviorbis77
Posts: 1161
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 7:41 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
British people have a really bad tradition of drinking really hard before airplane flights on ULCCs. Not sure why. They start the vacation before they arrive. I will never fly a ULCC out of the UK again. Too much drama and characters on every flight, not sure what caused this or anything. I have flown wizz air in other parts of europe and it seemed fine but the ULCCs something about the UK you see the craziest stuff. Its the miami of Europe for airport bad behavior Luton.

Im gonna guess by the time this was overtired people who maybe got stuck at the airport overnight and trying to get home? Would make the most sense for the early brawl, exhaustion would be my guess. Maybe someone tried to steal something off someone asleep etc or they thought they were


They weren’t British.
 
Alias1024
Posts: 2815
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:13 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 11:32 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
Just to show that we're not singling out passengers into/out of MIA, we have a donnybrook in the terminal at LTN with multiple injuries...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 47987.html


Donnybrook is an underused term, except perhaps in the world of ice hockey slang (and by extension the show Letterkenny). I tip my cap to you for using it.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 10054
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 11:46 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
It was Eastern Europeans and according to another site the fight started over an attempted pickpocketing of a passenger. There was no airport alcohol involved as corona laws mean you couldn’t by any inside at the time.


Are you certain they weren't very drunk when they stepped inside? That 'start the vacation early' thing, again.
 
crownvic
Posts: 2893
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Tue May 18, 2021 4:05 am

seansasLCY wrote:
It was Eastern Europeans and according to another site the fight started over an attempted pickpocketing of a passenger. There was no airport alcohol involved as corona laws mean you couldn’t by any inside at the time.


There was no airport police involved either :)
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 4331
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Tue May 18, 2021 4:31 am

Alias1024 wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
Just to show that we're not singling out passengers into/out of MIA, we have a donnybrook in the terminal at LTN with multiple injuries...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 47987.html


Donnybrook is an underused term, except perhaps in the world of ice hockey slang (and by extension the show Letterkenny). I tip my cap to you for using it.


We use donnybrook often in Minnesota but we also play alot of hockey.
 
AntonioMartin
Posts: 905
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Tue May 18, 2021 5:06 am

DocLightning wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
donnybrookl


Forgive me if this veers off the runway into non-av but I'm not familiar with this vernacular. I gather it refers to a fight. Would someone educate me as to geography and perhaps etymology?

I hear it a lot in boxing circles and apparently, the British say it when a fight was what we'd call here in American rings a "war"...

About this topic, everyone should be jailed and fined. Unless if at first not involved and then instigated to get in, because people do have a right to defend themselves.
 
fraspotter
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 8:12 pm

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Tue May 18, 2021 5:08 am

LH982 wrote:
Excellent. They can organize a challenge match with Miami


Funny how when I first read the headline my first thought went to "oh yeah just like Spirit Airlines passengers at pretty much any airport in Florida".

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos