Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

washingtonflyer
Topic Author

Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 12:44 pm

Just to show that we're not singling out passengers into/out of MIA, we have a donnybrook in the terminal at LTN with multiple injuries...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 47987.html

LH982

Re: Brawl watch: 17 injured in mass fight at LTN

Mon May 17, 2021 12:58 pm

Excellent. They can organize a challenge match with Miami

acecrackshot

Mon May 17, 2021 2:27 pm

Having driven through both, if I owned Hell and Luton I’d live in Hell and rent Luton.

DocLightning

Mon May 17, 2021 2:30 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
donnybrookl

Forgive me if this veers off the runway into non-av but I'm not familiar with this vernacular. I gather it refers to a fight. Would someone educate me as to geography and perhaps etymology?

FiscAutTecGarte

Mon May 17, 2021 3:25 pm

Maybe they are Scottish Soccor Holigans?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... ns/2868175

On a serious note.... 8am? Folks are getting their angry on really early.... Maybe a cup of coffee and a chill pill are in order instead of items from the duty free.....
Nonsense has to stop... Maximum penalties for folks caught behaving this way is the only way to curtail it...

washingtonflyer
Topic Author

Mon May 17, 2021 3:52 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:

On a serious note.... 8am? Folks are getting their angry on really early.... Maybe a cup of coffee and a chill pill are in order instead of items from the duty free.....
Nonsense has to stop... Maximum penalties for folks caught behaving this way is the only way to curtail it...

I'll bet we got a lot of vacationers going to Ibiza or Alicante and they're getting warmed up pre-departure....

midexjet

Mon May 17, 2021 3:58 pm

Excellent choice of vernacular using donnybrook, although I am partial to the earlier coined phrase significant fisticuffs...

ZazuPIT

Mon May 17, 2021 3:59 pm

Two seconds into the video my thought was football fans. They can be an unruly bunch.

Breathe

Mon May 17, 2021 4:04 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:

Nah. They were busy trashing Glasgow city centre on Saturday:

https://twitter.com/tic1967lisbon/statu ... 8144603142

Full story here if you're interested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... t-57127094

jeffrey0032j

Mon May 17, 2021 4:12 pm

LH982 wrote:

Luton would win hands down.

Mon May 17, 2021 4:24 pm

ZazuPIT wrote:
Two seconds into the video my thought was football fans. They can be an unruly bunch.

These aren't football hooligans.

MIflyer12

Mon May 17, 2021 4:26 pm

The Miamians would be better armed, and more mobile, although perhaps falling down in laughter at the sight of ruffians arriving in subcompact diesel Vauxhalls.

washingtonflyer
Topic Author

Mon May 17, 2021 4:42 pm

jeffrey0032j wrote:
LH982 wrote:

One thing I've noticed about fights in general is that there is a lot of hugging, scratching, grab assing, and the like. However, I've noticed the Brits tend to throw more heavy-weight punches than you see in the USA.

rbavfan

Mon May 17, 2021 5:00 pm

DocLightning wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
donnybrookl

Forgive me if this veers off the runway into non-av but I'm not familiar with this vernacular. I gather it refers to a fight. Would someone educate me as to geography and perhaps etymology?

A Donnybrook is a fight. It's a local slang.

rbavfan

Mon May 17, 2021 5:03 pm

midexjet wrote:
Excellent choice of vernacular using donnybrook, although I am partial to the earlier coined phrase significant fisticuffs...

Thats a good option as well.

acecrackshot

Mon May 17, 2021 5:03 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
jeffrey0032j wrote:
LH982 wrote:

One thing I've noticed about fights in general is that there is a lot of hugging, scratching, grab assing, and the like. However, I've noticed the Brits tend to throw more heavy-weight punches than you see in the USA.

Oh, the Brits (perhaps the Scots) invented the action of “glassing,” which is spectacularly brutal.

shamrock350

Mon May 17, 2021 5:12 pm

The likes of LTN and STN are always interesting to fly out of in the early mornings, pubs are usually packed with young holidaymakers, families and stag/hen parties. You can also expect to see a huge number of passengers returning home on Wizzair's extensive network. I fly regularly from LTN and while the atmosphere is usually jovial, there's always a sense things could turn quite quickly, especially when alcohol is involved that early in the morning.

In this case, from speaking to friends working at the airport, these individuals weren't British holidaymakers and the lack of a police/security presence has been an ongoing concern.

Noise

Mon May 17, 2021 5:12 pm

Enjoy the decline, guys.

S0Y

Mon May 17, 2021 5:13 pm

DocLightning wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
donnybrookl

A Dublin suburb that was the location of a fairly boisterous fair a few of hundred years ago. Nowadays probably the most expensive residential address in Dublin, more here https://www.dictionary.com/browse/donnybrook

alfa164

Mon May 17, 2021 5:21 pm

DocLightning wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
donnybrookl

You mean you're not Irish?

Meaning: A huge brawl, a riot, an uproar. Notes: Donnybrook is a sterling example of a lexical orphan, a word with no derivational relatives. ... The word originated in an Irish Gaelic phrase, Domhnach Broc, meaning "Church of (Saint) Broc".

https://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/donnybrook

RvA

Mon May 17, 2021 5:42 pm

Eastern Europeans? Regardless, seems totally unacceptable and unnecessary what was going on there. I’m guessing barely out of puberty and still a tad hormonal?

Dreamliner2020

Mon May 17, 2021 6:20 pm

Going by their names (which have been listed in the media) they’re Eastern European/Romanian. Certainly not Brits for a change.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon May 17, 2021 6:39 pm

British people have a really bad tradition of drinking really hard before airplane flights on ULCCs. Not sure why. They start the vacation before they arrive. I will never fly a ULCC out of the UK again. Too much drama and characters on every flight, not sure what caused this or anything. I have flown wizz air in other parts of europe and it seemed fine but the ULCCs something about the UK you see the craziest stuff. Its the miami of Europe for airport bad behavior Luton.

Im gonna guess by the time this was overtired people who maybe got stuck at the airport overnight and trying to get home? Would make the most sense for the early brawl, exhaustion would be my guess. Maybe someone tried to steal something off someone asleep etc or they thought they were

seansasLCY

Mon May 17, 2021 6:51 pm

It was Eastern Europeans and according to another site the fight started over an attempted pickpocketing of a passenger. There was no airport alcohol involved as corona laws mean you couldn’t by any inside at the time.

noviorbis77

Mon May 17, 2021 7:41 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
British people have a really bad tradition of drinking really hard before airplane flights on ULCCs. Not sure why. They start the vacation before they arrive. I will never fly a ULCC out of the UK again. Too much drama and characters on every flight, not sure what caused this or anything. I have flown wizz air in other parts of europe and it seemed fine but the ULCCs something about the UK you see the craziest stuff. Its the miami of Europe for airport bad behavior Luton.

Im gonna guess by the time this was overtired people who maybe got stuck at the airport overnight and trying to get home? Would make the most sense for the early brawl, exhaustion would be my guess. Maybe someone tried to steal something off someone asleep etc or they thought they were

They weren’t British.

Alias1024

Mon May 17, 2021 11:32 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
Just to show that we're not singling out passengers into/out of MIA, we have a donnybrook in the terminal at LTN with multiple injuries...

Donnybrook is an underused term, except perhaps in the world of ice hockey slang (and by extension the show Letterkenny). I tip my cap to you for using it.

MIflyer12

Mon May 17, 2021 11:46 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
It was Eastern Europeans and according to another site the fight started over an attempted pickpocketing of a passenger. There was no airport alcohol involved as corona laws mean you couldn’t by any inside at the time.

Are you certain they weren't very drunk when they stepped inside? That 'start the vacation early' thing, again.

crownvic

Tue May 18, 2021 4:05 am

seansasLCY wrote:

There was no airport police involved either :)

usflyer msp

Tue May 18, 2021 4:31 am

Alias1024 wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:

Donnybrook is an underused term, except perhaps in the world of ice hockey slang (and by extension the show Letterkenny). I tip my cap to you for using it.

We use donnybrook often in Minnesota but we also play alot of hockey.

AntonioMartin

Tue May 18, 2021 5:06 am

DocLightning wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
donnybrookl

I hear it a lot in boxing circles and apparently, the British say it when a fight was what we'd call here in American rings a "war"...

About this topic, everyone should be jailed and fined. Unless if at first not involved and then instigated to get in, because people do have a right to defend themselves.

fraspotter

Tue May 18, 2021 5:08 am

LH982 wrote:

Funny how when I first read the headline my first thought went to "oh yeah just like Spirit Airlines passengers at pretty much any airport in Florida".

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos