Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

9Patch
Topic Author

Cargo traffic through ANC surged during COVID-19 pandemic

Mon May 17, 2021 9:26 pm

A story in today's Anchorage Daily News about how the airport landed 3.2 million metric tons of cargo last year, a 15% increase over 2019.

The Anchorage airport’s growth far outpaced the competition, making it the world’s fourth-busiest for cargo, up from sixth place.

Despite that growth, the airport lacks the services of its competitors, Szczesniak said.

It’s largely a fuel stop and crew-change site for the jumbo jets headed to other airports.

But a series of projects proposed for the airport, valued at $1 billion, could help transform it into more of an all-purpose stop for cargo jets, he said.

For the first time, giant new warehouses would allow any of the airport’s nearly 30 international carriers, such as China Airlines or Korean Air, to stockpile items for efficient shipment.

FedEx and UPS, which operate freight-sorting hubs that move about one-fourth of the airport’s landed cargo, also plan large expansions, airport officials said.

adn.com/business-economy/2021/05/16/why-anchorages-international-airport-is-such-a-big-cargo-destination-and-how-it-could-get-even-bigger/

MaxTrimm

Re: Cargo traffic through ANC surged during COVID-19 pandemic

Mon May 17, 2021 10:34 pm

Not too surprising. There was a huge surge in demand for PPE and medical supplies through Spring and Summer. I remember AN-124’s literally packed to the brim with boxes of masks. What a weird time in history.

MIflyer12

Mon May 17, 2021 10:37 pm

How much of that $1 Billion is going to improve the passenger experience? If none, that's how much of PFCs the airport should be spending on cargo expansion.

TerminalD

Mon May 17, 2021 10:44 pm

9Patch wrote:
A story in today's Anchorage Daily News about how the airport landed 3.2 million metric tons of cargo last year, a 15% increase over 2019.

The Anchorage airport’s growth far outpaced the competition, making it the world’s fourth-busiest for cargo, up from sixth place.

Despite that growth, the airport lacks the services of its competitors, Szczesniak said.

It’s largely a fuel stop and crew-change site for the jumbo jets headed to other airports.

But a series of projects proposed for the airport, valued at $1 billion, could help transform it into more of an all-purpose stop for cargo jets, he said.

For the first time, giant new warehouses would allow any of the airport’s nearly 30 international carriers, such as China Airlines or Korean Air, to stockpile items for efficient shipment.

FedEx and UPS, which operate freight-sorting hubs that move about one-fourth of the airport’s landed cargo, also plan large expansions, airport officials said.

adn.com/business-economy/2021/05/16/why-anchorages-international-airport-is-such-a-big-cargo-destination-and-how-it-could-get-even-bigger/

Does the article say this will clearly lead to passenger service to China? Lol

NameOmitted

Mon May 17, 2021 11:49 pm

Does the lease to 6A finally effectively end the pipe dream of a second N-S runway?

flyPIT

Tue May 18, 2021 12:23 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
How much of that $1 Billion is going to improve the passenger experience? If none, that's how much of PFCs the airport should be spending on cargo expansion.

Just considering landing fees, which generate exponentially more revenue per flight than PFCs for an airport... between cargo ops and pax ops who do you think is funding who at ANC?

flyPIT

Tue May 18, 2021 12:31 am

NameOmitted wrote:
Does the lease to 6A finally effectively end the pipe dream of a second N-S runway?

If anything it confirms the widely spaced option for a parallel runway is still preferred. Page 75:
http://dot.alaska.gov/anc/about/docs/CH ... _Final.pdf

32andBelow

Tue May 18, 2021 2:43 am

Anchorage will never in a million years get another 15/33. Anchorage citizens would riot if they lost the park at the point

roadrunner165

Tue May 18, 2021 3:36 am

Wouldn't another 15/33 be entirely cost prohibitive? Plus as 32andBelow points out, the park is important to the identity of Anchorage as a whole.

My question is how often are there ground delays in Anchorage? I flew 100k miles though Anchorage last year and aside from waiting the 60 seconds after a 747 takes off for jet blast or whatnot, the little 737s that I plant my butt in taxi up and take off. Even with future congestion at the airport, shouldn't even a 10 or 15 minute delay on the ground easily be be made up en route? Of course, there is wasted fuel when jets idle waiting to take off.

32andBelow

Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 am

roadrunner165 wrote:
Wouldn't another 15/33 be entirely cost prohibitive? Plus as 32andBelow points out, the park is important to the identity of Anchorage as a whole.

My question is how often are there ground delays in Anchorage? I flew 100k miles though Anchorage last year and aside from waiting the 60 seconds after a 747 takes off for jet blast or whatnot, the little 737s that I plant my butt in taxi up and take off. Even with future congestion at the airport, shouldn't even a 10 or 15 minute delay on the ground easily be be made up en route? Of course, there is wasted fuel when jets idle waiting to take off.

I think the bigger problem is when 15/33 is closed and the wind is strong. Your only options are a big cross wind. Or landing 25. And there’s no ILS to 25

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos