Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Polot

Re: JetBlue Officially Launching LHR/LGW

Wed May 19, 2021 4:37 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Boiler905 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Am glad for B6 though the LHR and LGW times should ideally be flipped. Not sure one flight makes too much of a difference, but yes, I would expect BA and VS to try and run them off but it is reduced flying at the moment that got B6 the slots. They are not permanent so it will be interesting to see what happens, a lot of it dependent on Britain's reopening and COVID as much as competition. When CO and DL joined UA and AA at LHR in 2008, everyone managed to coexist, and even after, BA and AA remained the dominant players on US-LHR, VS and UA close behind, and DL a distant third or fourth, but DL was able to narrow the gap a bit with the VS tie up. One B6 flight isn't really going to shake things up too much and it will take a lot for B6 to get to something like 6 x daily at JFK and 2 or more at BOS to LHR.

As long as B6 can retain the slots, I believe they will succeed in profitably existing on NYC-LON given B6's superior premium cabin product.

Furthermore, it's not like BA has a oneworld advantage given the AA/B6 partnership that now exists and those same miles can be earned on B6.

VS/DL will be the main competitor/threat.

Purely my opinion though

The AA/B6 partnership excludes flights to LHR as far as I’m aware. In regards to service, I do believe they have a great product in Mint and have promised to undercut on pricing. While I do believe that will definitely attract people, I’m not really clear on the strategy. Why have the best product if you’re not going to be able to extract a revenue premium from it. Unless they believe that by doing that, it will force BA, AA, DL et. al to come down to their pricing levels and lower. If the legacies are able to offer a less premium product while simultaneously being able to charge higher fares, I don’t think they have much to worry about in the way of B6.

Even if AA/B6 partnership doesn’t exclude LHR AA would prefer to place their passengers on BA, as they have a revenue sharing joint venture so would get more money out of it.

The partnership helps AA domestically (more domestic destinations for their pax) and B6 internationally (more international destinations for their pax)

a350lover

Wed May 19, 2021 4:41 pm

Will they base any local crews in London? Or maybe dedicate some crews specifically for this fleet/routes from JFK?

FSDan

Wed May 19, 2021 4:44 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
tphuang wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:

3 dedicated tails in service by Sept.

Tail A doing JFK-LHR and sitting in London for the day, returning a few minutes before Tail B launches.
Tail B doing JFK-LHR the next night, returning a few minutes before tail A launches.
Tail C doing JFK-LGW and running the round robin

I’m sure they’ll rotate Tail C into the LHR mix to increase utilization which will spread around MX checks.

Right, but one of tail A or B will be sitting in JFK all day. Knowing JetBlue, I don't see them just keeping it grounded all day. It seems to me that one could do 1 R/T on JFK-LAX.

I think they play it conservative to start. Let JFK Tech Ops have their way with them for a few months

I agree. With just 3 frames in the fleet, I don't think they'll want to jeopardize the reliability of the new LON flights by utilizing them as much as possible.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

mooseofspruce

Wed May 19, 2021 5:05 pm

B6BOSfan wrote:
Opus99 wrote:
B6BOSfan wrote:
Just tried booking BOS-JFK-LHR -- and system doesn't allow me too. Congratulations JetBlue, alienating your second biggest base on the launch of one of your most anticipated routes ever. SMDH.

Boston starts in the summer of 2022

A connection from what you advertise as your second biggest city should be possible immediately upon launch. It's your SECOND BIGGEST BASE to draw from.

You might need to get creative with filling in the textboxes for picking your origin/destination by typing "New York City area" into the origin and "London area" into the destination, but before doing any search, change "New York area" to "Boston area" and don't let the page backspace "London area" from the destination textbox. It'll say the usual "Uh oh, we don't fly between those two locations" like you've seen, but if you click search while it's still typed in, you'll find results: Image

Certainly with the onboard experience offered even in Core, it's odd that the reservation and booking system can be weak or inconsistent, and is probably the most "LCC-like" of the operation. Even booking mixed Core/Mint itineraries with connections was somewhere between inconsistent or jumping through hoops to do (I booked SFO-BOS-BWI a couple years ago and since BOS-BWI was on an E190, it wouldn't even let me select Mint for the SFO-BOS portion if I wanted), that one might also have had to resort to just booking separate one-way tickets and self-connect, though it's gotten better since (but only so much).

Turns out the connections are there and available for booking, but the programming on the reservation system to actually access them user-side is lacking. Even the JetBlue app didn't have "London area" as a selectable field when I tried to browse this morning. Though presumably the same "trick" can be done for other origin points that can't have "London area" input into one of the fields the way NYC/SFO/LAX can (after BOS, I was able to do this with SEA as well for instance).
Last edited by mooseofspruce on Wed May 19, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!

nine4nine

Wed May 19, 2021 5:07 pm

tphuang wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Now, it looks like they have 27 min turnaround. It looks like they are going to have 3 LRs doing 2 R/T.

I assume that means the 3rd LR will be kept as a hot spare doing domestic transcon flights.

Unless of course, they end up doing another destination like JFK-KEF.

3 dedicated tails in service by Sept.

Tail A doing JFK-LHR and sitting in London for the day, returning a few minutes before Tail B launches.
Tail B doing JFK-LHR the next night, returning a few minutes before tail A launches.
Tail C doing JFK-LGW and running the round robin

I’m sure they’ll rotate Tail C into the LHR mix to increase utilization which will spread around MX checks.

Right, but one of tail A or B will be sitting in JFK all day. Knowing JetBlue, I don't see them just keeping it grounded all day. It seems to me that one could do 1 R/T on JFK-LAX.

I Agree. An originating point at LAX with a 1 stop JFK and continuation on to LHR would be ideal the way many airlines ran their across the pond schedule before the 2000’s. Better utilization of the frame as well as pulling traffic on route outside of NY.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

ContinentalEWR

Wed May 19, 2021 5:55 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Boiler905 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Am glad for B6 though the LHR and LGW times should ideally be flipped. Not sure one flight makes too much of a difference, but yes, I would expect BA and VS to try and run them off but it is reduced flying at the moment that got B6 the slots. They are not permanent so it will be interesting to see what happens, a lot of it dependent on Britain's reopening and COVID as much as competition. When CO and DL joined UA and AA at LHR in 2008, everyone managed to coexist, and even after, BA and AA remained the dominant players on US-LHR, VS and UA close behind, and DL a distant third or fourth, but DL was able to narrow the gap a bit with the VS tie up. One B6 flight isn't really going to shake things up too much and it will take a lot for B6 to get to something like 6 x daily at JFK and 2 or more at BOS to LHR.

As long as B6 can retain the slots, I believe they will succeed in profitably existing on NYC-LON given B6's superior premium cabin product.

Furthermore, it's not like BA has a oneworld advantage given the AA/B6 partnership that now exists and those same miles can be earned on B6.

VS/DL will be the main competitor/threat.

Purely my opinion though

The AA/B6 partnership excludes flights to LHR as far as I’m aware. In regards to service, I do believe they have a great product in Mint and have promised to undercut on pricing. While I do believe that will definitely attract people, I’m not really clear on the strategy. Why have the best product if you’re not going to be able to extract a revenue premium from it. Unless they believe that by doing that, it will force BA, AA, DL et. al to come down to their pricing levels and lower. If the legacies are able to offer a less premium product while simultaneously being able to charge higher fares, I don’t think they have much to worry about in the way of B6.

You've just summarized really well the fundamental problem with JetBlue's business model, which is otherwise quite good.

B6FLL954

Wed May 19, 2021 6:25 pm

The strategy for B6 is simple, offering their FF’s quality service on some of the most requested routes. JetBlue is not looking to run any of the legacy carriers off of these transatlantic routes. How could they with so few slots and aircraft?

Folks love to compare JetBlue with AA, UA, DL, BA, etc. These carriers have existed for around a hundred years with hundreds of aircraft in their respective fleets. B6 will be fine in this market, they’ll have the smallest aircraft, least desirable times and in the case of Gatwick, possibly least desirable airport. This is about offering their customers a good product at an affordable price point, not to be the number one carrier between NYC & London.

ClassicLover

Wed May 19, 2021 6:46 pm

B6FLL954 wrote:
in the case of Gatwick, possibly least desirable airport. This is about offering their customers a good product at an affordable price point, not to be the number one carrier between NYC & London.

I wouldn't be so harsh on Gatwick. Everyone thinks Heathrow is the bees knees as it has that reputation. You can actually get from Gatwick to Central London in 30 minutes, while Heathrow is either the Tube, which takes 45 minutes or Heathrow Express, which is about 15. Most take the tube. People think that Gatwick is far out of the city, when in actual fact both airports are a similar distance from central London.

London Luton and London Stansted are considered the least desirable airports in London, hence why easyJet (LTN) and Ryanair (STN) have their main UK bases there.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

B6BOSfan

Wed May 19, 2021 6:50 pm

mooseofspruce wrote:
B6BOSfan wrote:
Opus99 wrote:
Boston starts in the summer of 2022

A connection from what you advertise as your second biggest city should be possible immediately upon launch. It's your SECOND BIGGEST BASE to draw from.

You might need to get creative with filling in the textboxes for picking your origin/destination by typing "New York City area" into the origin and "London area" into the destination, but before doing any search, change "New York area" to "Boston area" and don't let the page backspace "London area" from the destination textbox. It'll say the usual "Uh oh, we don't fly between those two locations" like you've seen, but if you click search while it's still typed in, you'll find results: Image

Certainly with the onboard experience offered even in Core, it's odd that the reservation and booking system can be weak or inconsistent, and is probably the most "LCC-like" of the operation. Even booking mixed Core/Mint itineraries with connections was somewhere between inconsistent or jumping through hoops to do (I booked SFO-BOS-BWI a couple years ago and since BOS-BWI was on an E190, it wouldn't even let me select Mint for the SFO-BOS portion if I wanted), that one might also have had to resort to just booking separate one-way tickets and self-connect, though it's gotten better since (but only so much).

Turns out the connections are there and available for booking, but the programming on the reservation system to actually access them user-side is lacking. Even the JetBlue app didn't have "London area" as a selectable field when I tried to browse this morning. Though presumably the same "trick" can be done for other origin points that can't have "London area" input into one of the fields the way NYC/SFO/LAX can (after BOS, I was able to do this with SEA as well for instance).

Thanks for this. You're right, it does seem to show flights now -- but not until when the Gatwick flights start. The problem is -- due to flight timing - there is no possible way to book LHR-JFK-BOS. You can book BOS-JFK-LHR, but the return is impossible.

A 4 1/2 layover at JFK for Gatwick and 6 hour layover for BOS-JFK-LHR is rough.

FiscAutTecGarte

Wed May 19, 2021 7:29 pm

Would these be Mint configured planes?

Never mind... saw the screen shots of the booking page.... Answered my own question.. :wink2:
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.

fireman0174

Wed May 19, 2021 7:35 pm

airbazar wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
Is the new Terminal E expansion at BOS going to be done by the time JetBlue starts?

I'm not sure that is relevant since B6 already has gates in terminal E, today. That's where their Caribbean flights arrive at.

As a "tourist" a 10am arrival in London can actually be good as by the time you arrive at your downtown London hotel, your room will be ready, rather than waiting for several hours with a 7am arrival.

Done it quite a number of times years past.

Also avoids the early morning traffic flow.

aemoreira1981

Wed May 19, 2021 8:38 pm

That's a pretty horrible schedule on the return from LHR for aircraft utilization, although I might suspect it may have to do with gate availability on the JFK end for an international flight (remember that TAP would need gate 30 at T5). It would be interesting if they could get into the AA/BA JV though and get better slots. What is really needed though is for the UK to allow fully vaccinated passengers to bypass the PCR test.

JibberJim

Wed May 19, 2021 8:58 pm

*Mint roundtrips are available for just over $1000. For a business class TATL, that's pretty damn good, especially considering the quality of the Mint product*

So that's about 40% of the price in tax?

mooseofspruce

Wed May 19, 2021 9:50 pm

B6BOSfan wrote:
Thanks for this. You're right, it does seem to show flights now -- but not until when the Gatwick flights start. The problem is -- due to flight timing - there is no possible way to book LHR-JFK-BOS. You can book BOS-JFK-LHR, but the return is impossible.

A 4 1/2 layover at JFK for Gatwick and 6 hour layover for BOS-JFK-LHR is rough.

Indeed, the return flights from LHR being timed so late (9:35pm arrival) make onward travel relatively nil; it's the same case for SFO/LAX where the LGW returns are the only ones that get in early enough to not require an overnight in JFK, and thus show up in results. Until the LGW flights begin, the last JFK-BOS flight is at 11pm but as much time as that sounds, that's doubtfully enough time given CBP and so on supposing multi-city or self-connecting (i.e. booking BOS-JFK-LHR-JFK and JFK-BOS separately during the interim period between the LHR and LGW launches) is tempting.

JibberJim wrote:
*Mint roundtrips are available for just over $1000. For a business class TATL, that's pretty damn good, especially considering the quality of the Mint product*

So that's about 40% of the price in tax?

$1000 would be for a one-way segment; the return fares are closer to $2000 (or $1979 as the lowest advertised fare with LHR returns).

But certainly the taxes/fees/APD can make up that high of a proportion of the total fare flying in Core/Y (the $487 SFO-JFK-LHR LGW-JFK-SFO fare I saw consisted of $270 base fare and $217 in taxes/fees).
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!

airbazar

Wed May 19, 2021 10:13 pm

fireman0174 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
Is the new Terminal E expansion at BOS going to be done by the time JetBlue starts?

I'm not sure that is relevant since B6 already has gates in terminal E, today. That's where their Caribbean flights arrive at.

As a "tourist" a 10am arrival in London can actually be good as by the time you arrive at your downtown London hotel, your room will be ready, rather than waiting for several hours with a 7am arrival.

Done it quite a number of times years past.

Also avoids the early morning traffic flow.

I've never met anyone who loves arriving at 5am (mid-night east coast time), or 7am for that matter. 10am is really good and with such a late departure MINT passengers may actually use the flat bed for what it was intended. You're in the office or hotel by noon.
As for the return, I really don't understand why so many people are so hung up on connections. You don't think they can fill up an A321 solely with O&D passengers? You get to spend a full day in London, fly to the U.S., then go home/hotel in NY. What's wrong with that? It sure beats a mid day departure from LHR and wasting the entire day traveling.

BlueBaller

Wed May 19, 2021 10:26 pm

I've never met anyone who loves arriving at 5am (mid-night east coast time), or 7am for that matter. 10am is really good and with such a late departure MINT passengers may actually use the flat bed for what it was intended. You're in the office or hotel by noon.
As for the return, I really don't understand why so many people are so hung up on connections. You don't think they can fill up an A321 solely with O&D passengers? You get to spend a full day in London, fly to the U.S., then go home/hotel in NY. What's wrong with that? It sure beats a mid day departure from LHR and wasting the entire day traveling.

Facts. Too many of these posters are hung up on the “poorly timed slots for connectors” argument. JetBlue isn’t a legacy airline. They don’t have traditional hubs where 5 million frequent flier passengers a month funnel through, never to actually step foot in the city in which they land.

Between LGW and LHR they have the “impossible” task of enplaning a few hundred passengers a day from New York City, USA. I don’t see the problem.

mooseofspruce

Wed May 19, 2021 10:42 pm

airbazar wrote:
As for the return, I really don't understand why so many people are so hung up on connections. You don't think they can fill up an A321 solely with O&D passengers?

BlueBaller wrote:
Facts. Too many of these posters are hung up on the “poorly timed slots for connectors” argument. JetBlue isn’t a legacy airline. They don’t have traditional hubs where 5 million frequent flier passengers a month funnel through, never to actually step foot in the city in which they land.

Between LGW and LHR they have the “impossible” task of enplaning a few hundred passengers a day from New York City, USA. I don’t see the problem.

Considering the possibility of JetBlue customers and/or fans in this thread who don't reside within a relatively immediate proximity to JFK, I think it's that this is not so much doubting whether they can fill A321s between New York and London, but moreso that there are also users who aren't JFK O/D among those willing to buy seats on these flights.

But I'm just an SFO-based poster excitedly following this news, and also hoping to fly JetBlue between the northeastern US and London at some point.

B752OS

Wed May 19, 2021 10:44 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:

I don't believe so. It's still 16 months out from completion.

mcogator

Wed May 19, 2021 10:45 pm

jomur wrote:
When the US gets on the green list and UK citizens can get into the US then expect BA and VS to ramp up their flights pretty quickly. Might be that Jetblue will be short lived at LHR if they only got short term slots due to reduced flying by the current slot holders.

Vaccinated Americans are a go for the EU, and I expect the UK to follow suit.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu-countries-agree-ease-travel-restictions-non-eu-visitors-2021-05-19/

They are expected to set a new list this week or early next week. Based on data from the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Britain and a number of other countries would meet the new criteria.
The United States would not, although Americans with proof of vaccination would be welcomed.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

skipness1E

Thu May 20, 2021 12:15 am

ClassicLover wrote:
B6FLL954 wrote:
in the case of Gatwick, possibly least desirable airport. This is about offering their customers a good product at an affordable price point, not to be the number one carrier between NYC & London.

People think that Gatwick is far out of the city, when in actual fact both airports are a similar distance from central London.
London Luton and London Stansted are considered the least desirable airports in London, hence why easyJet (LTN) and Ryanair (STN) have their main UK bases there.

Both airports are not a similar distance from Central London at all. Where Gatwick does well is it can get you into London Bridge or Victoria by fast train in a half hour and then people change onto the tube. From Heathrow the Tube into Green Park is about 40mins so a bit slower and many people are going West London and get off before town. But Gatwick is in West Sussex, most of the way to Brighton and there's a whole load of green space between there and the M25 whereas Heathrow is on the M25 and on top of the M4 corridor which is partly why yields tend to be way higher. But for visiting American leisure, Gatters works fine, just don't think it's in or closer to London than Heathrow.

BOSman

Thu May 20, 2021 12:44 am

TexasAirCorp wrote:
Leej wrote:
Would love to see B6 offer a LGW-PVD summer seasonal - a dream route for me!

Rumour has it that Breeze is eyeing TATL BCS3 service from PVD. If this is true, I'd assume somewhere in London would be amongst the first destinations. Maybe room for JetBlue to compete with its founder!

Where are you hearing those rumors from? This is something I'd love to see! I can't imagine it would be anytime soon though.

It's a bummer that us Bostonians have to wait, but maybe it will come with extra stuff like DUB or CDG. How many A321LRs will they have next year?

BlueBaller

Thu May 20, 2021 1:20 am

BOSman wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:
Leej wrote:
Would love to see B6 offer a LGW-PVD summer seasonal - a dream route for me!

Rumour has it that Breeze is eyeing TATL BCS3 service from PVD. If this is true, I'd assume somewhere in London would be amongst the first destinations. Maybe room for JetBlue to compete with its founder!

Where are you hearing those rumors from? This is something I'd love to see! I can't imagine it would be anytime soon though.

It's a bummer that us Bostonians have to wait, but maybe it will come with extra stuff like DUB or CDG. How many A321LRs will they have next year?

3 more.

MKEdude

Thu May 20, 2021 2:14 am

Midwestindy wrote:
No one is going to mention flight 007.....

They're not flying anywhere near Russian airspace, it should be alright.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

JFKspotter

Thu May 20, 2021 2:25 am

a350lover wrote:
Will they base any local crews in London? Or maybe dedicate some crews specifically for this fleet/routes from JFK?

No London based crews. Pilots will be part of a “subset” of the JFK (and eventually BOS) bases. Flight attendants have been selected through a screening process to work these flights.

FlyingElvii

Thu May 20, 2021 3:19 am

Scotron12 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
The flight schedule is here -

https://travelupdate.com/jetblue-heathrow-gatwick-schedule/

JFK-LHR-JFK -

"Departing New York, flight 7 will leave at 21:48 and land in England at 10:10 the next morning. The return service is designated flight 20 and will leave London Heathrow at 18:10, landing back stateside at 21:35 the same evening."

and

JFK-LGW-JFK

"Once again these will be daily services, with flight 43 departing the USA at 19:48, arriving into London is 07:55 the following morning. Return flight 44 will leave the UK at 12:10, landing back in New York at 15:43."

Lots of ground time, it seems!

8 hrs on ground at LHR is not ideal. Hopefully improves for them closer to launch.

It is likely the best slotting they can get. Looks like a move back and forth from a hardstand, as well, since I doubt they can sit on a gate for that long, which can cause its own issues.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Thu May 20, 2021 3:22 am

skipness1E wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
B6FLL954 wrote:

People think that Gatwick is far out of the city, when in actual fact both airports are a similar distance from central London.

Both airports are not a similar distance from Central London at all. Where Gatwick does well is it can get you into London Bridge or Victoria by fast train in a half hour and then people change onto the tube. From Heathrow the Tube into Green Park is about 40mins so a bit slower and many people are going West London and get off before town. But Gatwick is in West Sussex, most of the way to Brighton and there's a whole load of green space between there and the M25 whereas Heathrow is on the M25 and on top of the M4 corridor which is partly why yields tend to be way higher. But for visiting American leisure, Gatters works fine, just don't think it's in or closer to London than Heathrow.

Truthfully if you can stand Gatwick which is a relic of the 1980's for the most part, the train to Victoria is for me much more practical than the Heathrow trains into Paddington. Easy to connect to the tube at Victoria or even walk to places from there though mostly tube for me - granted that's for me on business. But I also assume for tourists given the proximity of Victoria to Westminster, etc it also works better than Paddington.

cirrusdragoon

Thu May 20, 2021 4:14 am

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

Truthfully if you can stand Gatwick which is a relic of the 1980's for the most part, the train to Victoria is for me much more practical than the Heathrow trains into Paddington. Easy to connect to the tube at Victoria or even walk to places from there though mostly tube for me - granted that's for me on business. But I also assume for tourists given the proximity of Victoria to Westminster, etc it also works better than Paddington.

Once the Elizabeth line is fully operational in 2022, i believe it will connect LHR to central london much better than gatwick. the Elizabeth line will provide a direct link between the airport and central London destinations including Bond Street, Liverpool Street and Canary Wharf.

A total of six Elizabeth line trains per hour will serve Heathrow Terminals. Four will go to Terminals 2, 3 and 4 and two will go to Terminals 2, 3 and 5.

The high-speed Elizabeth Line will cut most journey times by half and some journeys will be five times quicker. Currently rail from Canary Warf to LHR is 55 min and with the Elizabeth Line it will only be 39 min.

LGW to Victoria currently with regular rail is 47 min travel time.

kearnet

Thu May 20, 2021 10:44 am

I was just playing around on JetBlue.com to get a sense of initial bookings.

It's completely anecdotal, but doing searches from JFK to London area, it would seem at the time of me writing this, the LGW flights are sold out until Sept. 29th. The LHR flight have some booking here and there. Grant still very early + UK still on international lockdown for the most part.

Maybe departure time vs. LGW/LGR is more important.
C402 9K | B1900D US | ATR72 AA | DHC8 US | CRJ2 US | E175 UA | E190 B6 | D93 US | M88 US/AA | 732 US | 733 US/WN | 734 US | 73G WN | B738 FJ/QF | B752 US/AA | B762 DL | B77W EK | F28 US | F100 US | A319 US | A320 B6 | A332 FJ | A380 EK

seansasLCY

Thu May 20, 2021 10:54 am

kearnet wrote:
I was just playing around on JetBlue.com to get a sense of initial bookings.

It's completely anecdotal, but doing searches from JFK to London area, it would seem at the time of me writing this, the LGW flights are sold out until Sept. 29th. The LHR flight have some booking here and there. Grant still very early + UK still on international lockdown for the most part.

Maybe departure time vs. LGW/LGR is more important.

LGW doesn't launch until 29th Sept so those flights are not sold out they are not operating...

spottingpete93

Thu May 20, 2021 11:33 am

I always find it amazing that so many people don't realise that LGW has its own sizeable catchment area that is different from LHR. Kent, Sussex (East and West), parts of Essex and Hampshire and of course the southern suburbs of London will always find LGW more convenient than Heathrow. These services should do just fine at both airports and I see them complementing one another offering the traveller greater flexibility depending upon where their final destination in the UK is.

N101TV

Thu May 20, 2021 11:47 am

Opus99 wrote:
Just did a booking test run. Flights are currently at 990 pounds return for the month of august and September. BA is charging 3500 for the same dates. Then again I wouldn’t expect B6 to come in that high. They’ll of course undercut legacy as they’re entering the market

This is for business class BTW

I had a look and the cheapest Business I could see was around £2100. £990 is an amazing price for Business, especially as it's a flatbed

Ziyulu

Thu May 20, 2021 12:07 pm

What type of aircraft are they using? Narrowbody flights?

UkiAir

Thu May 20, 2021 12:14 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
What type of aircraft are they using? Narrowbody flights?

321LR

tphuang

Thu May 20, 2021 12:30 pm

Interview RH had with Bloomberg yesterday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmG8Ua5SFrY
Their LHR slots is temporary until end of March. So, they are going to have to look for permanent slot solutions at that time.
They consider LHR/LGW to be separate markets and intend to serve both going forward. Their plan to stay in LHR is by showing they can significantly lower premium cabin pricing.
They think travel restriction will loosen between US and UK.

Keep in mind that airlines that had been serving JFK-LGW are no longer doing so. DY actually had a good thing going at JFK-LGW. JetBlue should do well on its LGW service. I think LHR will be tougher due to slot availability. The key is getting more slots. I'm looking at their initial flights. inaugural flight on 11th is sold out (very few seats released for sales)., 12th only has 8 J open, 13th has 9 J open, 14th has 13 J open and 15/16/17th has 19 J open. So, they are off to a good start. I think the J cabin will sell out faster than the Y cabin.

A couple of other announcements to watch out for:
- lounge? Seems like it might happen based on some of the reports that have come out
- onward connection from LGW? Seems like a partnership with EZ or someone else would make sense.

BOSman wrote:

They got 3 LRs coming next year which should allow them to add 3 R/T flights. I'd expect 3 JFK-LON and 2 BOS-LON by Q4 2022.

I think Paris and Dublin is probably 2023.

Calculus has changed a little bit due to reduced TATL demand. There is more focus on domestic flying with their updated order book.

mooseofspruce wrote:
Considering the possibility of JetBlue customers and/or fans in this thread who don't reside within a relatively immediate proximity to JFK, I think it's that this is not so much doubting whether they can fill A321s between New York and London, but moreso that there are also users who aren't JFK O/D among those willing to buy seats on these flights.

But I'm just an SFO-based poster excitedly following this news, and also hoping to fly JetBlue between the northeastern US and London at some point.

I totally agree with you. While JetBlue has always been and O&D focused airline, this pandemic showed it can't just rely on NYC/Boston O&D. Having connection options on TATL flights will not only help them fill planes, but also attract loyalty outside of NYC/Boston. That's why I think they will adjust schedules and add short flights to add connections to London.

If I'm searching for an Oct trip right now, I can see options from SFO to both LGW/LHR, but only LGW to SFO on the way back. I'm sure they are trying to get better slot times, but that's hard to do at LHR. As they add flights from both BOS/NYC, I think you will see more options and better pricing on JetBlue from SFO to LON. And same for other cities. The question for me is whether they can find people willing to fly 1-stop itineraries from places like LAX or SFO where they have at least some interest to buildup. I don't think they can undercut legacies on Y fare. They can undercut N/S options in J fare, but not by like 50%. Would people like mint service enough to take the 1-stop option vs flying US3 N/S.

cirrusdragoon wrote:
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

Once the Elizabeth line is fully operational in 2022, i believe it will connect LHR to central london much better than gatwick. the Elizabeth line will provide a direct link between the airport and central London destinations including Bond Street, Liverpool Street and Canary Wharf.

A total of six Elizabeth line trains per hour will serve Heathrow Terminals. Four will go to Terminals 2, 3 and 4 and two will go to Terminals 2, 3 and 5.

The high-speed Elizabeth Line will cut most journey times by half and some journeys will be five times quicker. Currently rail from Canary Warf to LHR is 55 min and with the Elizabeth Line it will only be 39 min.

LGW to Victoria currently with regular rail is 47 min travel time.

Even with this, the travel time from LHR/LGW is comparable. I think most US side travelers prefer LHR, but LGW is also on their radar. There have been service on JFK-LGW for many years. Plenty of New Yorkers flew into LGW. I know that I would search for both if I was visiting London. STN/LTN would not have worked since people just don't know about it over here.

Polot

Thu May 20, 2021 12:42 pm

tphuang wrote:
- onward connection from LGW? Seems like a partnership with EZ or someone else would make sense.

While nice from a network perspective it would be quite a shock for passengers (especially Mint ones) hopping off B6 onto the very-much-a-ULCC Easyjet.

tphuang

Thu May 20, 2021 1:01 pm

Polot wrote:
tphuang wrote:

While nice from a network perspective it would be quite a shock for passengers (especially Mint ones) hopping off B6 onto the very-much-a-ULCC Easyjet.

it's also a shock for passengers going to BA's short haul Y product.

DarkSnowyNight

Thu May 20, 2021 1:15 pm

tphuang wrote:
Polot wrote:
tphuang wrote:

it's also a shock for passengers going to BA's short haul Y product.

Which given the alliance with AA stateside makes the possibility of B6 eventually joining OneWorld a more likely thing. Thus, I would guess that eventually this will be an issue with BA local Ex-LHR to Europe at large, yes...
Well, you know what they say. Whatever doesn't kill you...
... Must not be an MD-11.

hiflyeras

Thu May 20, 2021 2:02 pm

JFKspotter wrote:
Flight attendants have been selected through a screening process to work these flights.

Oh dear...sounds like something DL would do. That won't fly once they finally have a contract passed.

tu154

Thu May 20, 2021 2:18 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
JFKspotter wrote:
Flight attendants have been selected through a screening process to work these flights.

Oh dear...sounds like something DL would do. That won't fly once they finally have a contract passed.

oh, we shall see. TWU did absolutely nothing to address this BS in the first TA, and they dont really seem to care that B6 is handpicking crews to fly Mint domestic and now ONLY handpicked Mint qualified crews will be flying London.
FIRST ON THE ATLANTIC.....FIRST ON THE PACIFIC.....FIRST IN LATIN AMERICA...FIRST 'ROUND THE WORLD.....PAN AM!!

BlueBaller

Thu May 20, 2021 2:35 pm

tu154 wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
JFKspotter wrote:

oh, we shall see. TWU did absolutely nothing to address this BS in the first TA, and they dont really seem to care that B6 is handpicking crews to fly Mint domestic and now ONLY handpicked Mint qualified crews will be flying London.

It’s no different than when domestic Mint began in 2014. Inflight crewmembers interviewed for the onboard lead program and, if selected, get awarded trips that work the front end of the aircraft. The Core cabin is worked by standard JetBlue inflight crew... Domestic Mint and INTL Mint. You’re making it sound elitist. It’s not like every JetBlue flight attendant wants to bid and work these trips. The same is true regarding the pilots.

catiii

Thu May 20, 2021 2:46 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
tu154 wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

It’s no different than when domestic Mint began in 2014. Inflight crewmembers interviewed for the onboard lead program and, if selected, get awarded trips that work the front end of the aircraft. The Core cabin is worked by standard JetBlue inflight crew... Domestic Mint and INTL Mint. You’re making it sound elitist. It’s not like every JetBlue flight attendant wants to bid and work these trips. The same is true regarding the pilots.

It’s also why the service is so good (usually) in Mint. They want to be there.

tu154

Thu May 20, 2021 2:50 pm

catiii wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
tu154 wrote:

Other bases want to be there too. Open the opportunity to all bases, eliminate the need to commute for premium class/west coast flying.
FIRST ON THE ATLANTIC.....FIRST ON THE PACIFIC.....FIRST IN LATIN AMERICA...FIRST 'ROUND THE WORLD.....PAN AM!!

trueblew

Thu May 20, 2021 3:00 pm

tu154 wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
JFKspotter wrote:

How else are they supposed to maintain service standards that are frankly light-years ahead of an average US3 front end crew? Not to diminish them as I've had some fantastic experiences up front on US3, but I've also had lackluster and even poor/hostile/inattentive service in the premium cabin on both transcons and TATL flights on US3. The domestic Mint track record shows they can provide consistently elevated service by having a separate FA group.

airbazar

Thu May 20, 2021 3:10 pm

tu154 wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
JFKspotter wrote:

It cracks me up when I see comments like these that are so out of touch with reality. This is how most everyone gets a job in other industries: by interviewing for it and the best candidate gets the job. The idea that some seniority list should be the only qualifier is a really bad way to do business, especially in customer facing positions.

BlueBaller

Thu May 20, 2021 3:51 pm

tu154 wrote:
catiii wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:

Other bases want to be there too. Open the opportunity to all bases, eliminate the need to commute for premium class/west coast flying.

It won’t happen. It’s how the company keeps its cost structure in check. The same cost structure that, frankly, (along with government assistance) allowed JetBlue to enter into a 100 year pandemic with the war chest that it did, grow strategically and offensively throughout, TAKE AIRCRAFT DELIVERIES, not even entertain the idea of furlough, and maintain its word to begin London service on schedule.

LATAM flying only goes to the pilots who are special qualified for South of the border terrain and emergency procedures.

The European flying will only be served by northeast-based crews. Crewmember A has the option of bidding to JFK or BOS to work a London trip, just as Crewmember B has the option to bid FLL to fly to Quito.

Gregd75

Thu May 20, 2021 5:37 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew why the JFK - LHR is flight number 007 (a nod to James Bond, for sure), but the return LHR - JFK is flight number 020.

Would Jet Blue be preparing themselves for potential double daily flights in the future, when they could use 008 and 019 flight numbers?
How common is it for airlines to do something like this? Curious

UkiAir

Thu May 20, 2021 5:54 pm

Gregd75 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew why the JFK - LHR is flight number 007 (a nod to James Bond, for sure), but the return LHR - JFK is flight number 020.

Would Jet Blue be preparing themselves for potential double daily flights in the future, when they could use 008 and 019 flight numbers?

Given the history with jetblue flight numbering, I would expect the 2nd daily to be 107/120 or 607/620 etc. For example BOS JFK is numbered 617,717,917,1317,2017.. So they change the digit(s) in front of the number not the next one in the sequence. They also like to use numbers that pertain to that particular destination such as area code of the city, or ie one of BOS LAS is 777, BOS DCA 1600, BOS PHL 1776 and so on.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Thu May 20, 2021 5:54 pm

Gregd75 wrote:

Airlines usually have at least one dedicated flight number referencing something.

Alaska 500 – Seattle to Indianapolis
American 1492 – Dallas/Fort Worth to Columbus
Allegiant 711 – Las Vegas to Bellingham
Hawaiian 50 – Honolulu to New York/JFK
Southwest 808 – Oakland to Honolulu

https://crankyflier.com/2021/03/17/anno ... -nominees/
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

tu154

Thu May 20, 2021 5:56 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
tu154 wrote:
catiii wrote:

It won’t happen. It’s how the company keeps its cost structure in check. The same cost structure that, frankly, (along with government assistance) allowed JetBlue to enter into a 100 year pandemic with the war chest that it did, grow strategically and offensively throughout, TAKE AIRCRAFT DELIVERIES, not even entertain the idea of furlough, and maintain its word to begin London service on schedule.

LATAM flying only goes to the pilots who are special qualified for South of the border terrain and emergency procedures.

The European flying will only be served by northeast-based crews. Crewmember A has the option of bidding to JFK or BOS to work a London trip, just as Crewmember B has the option to bid FLL to fly to Quito.

FLL base doesn’t really care about London. Northeast can have it. We care about our lost west coast flying and the future erosion of our bases flying to Mint. We should not have to commute to fly our west coast departures or any future FLL departures we lose to Mint. We all agree the OBL should be an applied for and interviewed position, but ALL flight attendants should be trained in Mint.

tphuang

Thu May 20, 2021 6:02 pm

tu154 wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
tu154 wrote:

FLL base doesn’t really care about London. Northeast can have it. We care about our lost west coast flying and the future erosion of our bases flying to Mint. We should not have to commute to fly our west coast departures or any future FLL departures we lose to Mint. We all agree the OBL should be an applied for and interviewed position, but ALL flight attendants should be trained in Mint.

I'm a little confused by this. Doesn't FLL FAs also have the option to be trained in mint? Is there anything to support the argument that FLL base is shrinking in size or losing flying opportunities?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos