Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

catiii

Re: JetBlue Officially Launching LHR/LGW

Sat May 22, 2021 7:50 pm

oxonrow wrote:
Given the narrow body metal, no lounge access, and difficulties growing at LHR, wouldn't LCY be the airport to target for B6?

On a separate note, it seems to me that competitive one-way/single pricing would be one way to address anti-competitive responses from the legacy carriers. Just walked off VS from JFK to LHR this morning, and while the A350 is a nice plane to travel, the quality of service (especially soft product) is far below expectations these days.

There isnt an airplane available in the fleet that would operate from LCY.

oxonrow

Sat May 22, 2021 7:55 pm

catiii wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Back then when UA and DL operated the 757s, they had to stop along the way to refuel. How less likely is it on a 321 to make the trip without refueling in the winter?

Completely false out of LHR. The 757s that had to make the rare tech stop were coming out of western Europe, not the Isles.

You keep making up falsehoods to support your narrative that the LR will need to make a westbound tech stop to NYC or BOS from London. It will not. Full stop.

...fuel stop.

catiii

Sat May 22, 2021 7:56 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Back then when UA and DL operated the 757s, they had to stop along the way to refuel. How less likely is it on a 321 to make the trip without refueling in the winter?

https://epsilonaviation.wordpress.com/2 ... 321xlr-do/

I would guess with B6’s low density configuration it won’t have many problems making it. Westbound, full, winter, with bad weather and alternates further away than say EWR? Maybe? Guess we will see 6-9 months from now.

Again, the airplane is a 321 LONG RANGE (my emphasis). Why does everyone continue to think that JetBlue bought a TATL airplane that cant perform westbound from the UK?
Last edited by catiii on Sat May 22, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catiii

Sat May 22, 2021 7:56 pm

oxonrow wrote:
catiii wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Completely false out of LHR. The 757s that had to make the rare tech stop were coming out of western Europe, not the Isles.

You keep making up falsehoods to support your narrative that the LR will need to make a westbound tech stop to NYC or BOS from London. It will not. Full stop.

...fuel stop.

Aka, a tech stop.

oxonrow

Sat May 22, 2021 8:12 pm

catiii wrote:
oxonrow wrote:
Given the narrow body metal, no lounge access, and difficulties growing at LHR, wouldn't LCY be the airport to target for B6?

On a separate note, it seems to me that competitive one-way/single pricing would be one way to address anti-competitive responses from the legacy carriers. Just walked off VS from JFK to LHR this morning, and while the A350 is a nice plane to travel, the quality of service (especially soft product) is far below expectations these days.

Isn't that something that could be remedied? Or is the said fuel stop an insurmountable constraint irrespective of B6's current fleet availability?

catiii

Sat May 22, 2021 8:49 pm

oxonrow wrote:
catiii wrote:
oxonrow wrote:

Isn't that something that could be remedied? Or is the said fuel stop an insurmountable constraint irrespective of B6's current fleet availability?

They would have to place an order for a new aircraft type that is certified for LCY (in this case the largest LCY certified aircraft is the 220-100), and take the tech stop westbound. Can it be remedied? Yes. Will they do it? Unlikely. If it was such a world beater, BA wouldn’t have killed their LCY-JFK.

Ziyulu

Sun May 23, 2021 3:11 am

BlueBaller wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Will they be serving meals on these flights?

A lot of your questions have been asked and answered both on this forum and by JetBlue press releases. Feel free to indulge in some independent research. Your inquiries are giving off big troll energy.

The only comment about meals in this forum was the following:

They are getting rid of the MINT RIG by the end of June I believe. By that I mean the people doing MINT get paid 8 hours each duty period, even when most of the duty periods are less than 8 hours in MINT. That is what kept MINT well staffed with happy campers. Flying to London is going to get old very fast, especially without the better than regular flying pay MINT people are use to. I predict they will have to train everyone for MINT in the future, because there will in no way be enough volunteers to do double the work in front of cabin for next to no extra pay. I know lots of people who have zero desire to work MINT, especially in the back of the trans Atlantic cabins where the FAs will be customizing meals for the entire core cabin , for a mind blowing extra 1$ per hour. lol

When I looked at JetBlue's website, it only mentioned specialty food and snacks. I think it's a fair question to ask. Maybe I should have rephrased for Y class? And if it would be BOB?

BlueBaller

Sun May 23, 2021 4:34 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Will they be serving meals on these flights?

A lot of your questions have been asked and answered both on this forum and by JetBlue press releases. Feel free to indulge in some independent research. Your inquiries are giving off big troll energy.

The only comment about meals in this forum was the following:

They are getting rid of the MINT RIG by the end of June I believe. By that I mean the people doing MINT get paid 8 hours each duty period, even when most of the duty periods are less than 8 hours in MINT. That is what kept MINT well staffed with happy campers. Flying to London is going to get old very fast, especially without the better than regular flying pay MINT people are use to. I predict they will have to train everyone for MINT in the future, because there will in no way be enough volunteers to do double the work in front of cabin for next to no extra pay. I know lots of people who have zero desire to work MINT, especially in the back of the trans Atlantic cabins where the FAs will be customizing meals for the entire core cabin , for a mind blowing extra 1$ per hour. lol

When I looked at JetBlue's website, it only mentioned specialty food and snacks. I think it's a fair question to ask. Maybe I should have rephrased for Y class? And if it would be BOB?

The only comment in this thread* about meals was just recently brought up by a JetBlue Inflight crew member. But there are several threads and links to articles in this forum that can provide you a wealth of information, with only just the tiniest investment in self-study.

If you recall the Virgin America Inflight experience from a decade ago, the Core TATL cabin will be set up a lot like that with on demand options, several of which to choose from, and at a level of service which has yet to be experienced on a domestic narrowbody.

skipness1E

Sun May 23, 2021 6:29 pm

oxonrow wrote:

You can't get an A321NEO into LCY and even if you could you could neither taxi something that big or park it! So, no, LCY isn't an option unless they go for a standalone new fleet of something new.
As for the soft product on VS, COVID has impacted everyone surely?

JibberJim

Mon May 24, 2021 7:18 am

catiii wrote:
They would have to place an order for a new aircraft type that is certified for LCY (in this case the largest LCY certified aircraft is the 220-100), and take the tech stop westbound. Can it be remedied? Yes. Will they do it? Unlikely. If it was such a world beater, BA wouldn’t have killed their LCY-JFK.

Not that they have any remote possibility of doing it, but I understood the 220-100 can fly direct LCY-JFK so wouldn't need a stop?

seansasLCY

Mon May 24, 2021 10:44 am

JibberJim wrote:
catiii wrote:

Not that they have any remote possibility of doing it, but I understood the 220-100 can fly direct LCY-JFK so wouldn't need a stop?

The A221 test flight was configured in the equivilant of 40 business class seats with pax and bags and made it fine non-stop. I don't know how it would do with a mixed class configuration which I assume is maybe heavier because of more pax and bags.

catiii

Mon May 24, 2021 2:22 pm

JibberJim wrote:
catiii wrote:

They wouldn't do an all J configuration to make it nonstop (and it is a moot point because they have only -300s on order).

tphuang

Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:28 am

The inaugural flight is launching tonight.

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/14 ... 8711712768
Not really sure where this source came from. Apparently they are not only launching BOS-LON next year, but also looking to increase NYC-LON to 5x.

I'd imagine they need 1 or 2 more A321LR deliveries to accomplish this, but who knows.

DaCubbyBearBar

Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:31 am

I must have missed, but where are the slots coming from for LHR? Wishing B6 the best of luck in this market

N757ST

Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:18 pm

tphuang wrote:

Not really sure where this source came from. Apparently they are not only launching BOS-LON next year, but also looking to increase NYC-LON to 5x.

I'd imagine they need 1 or 2 more A321LR deliveries to accomplish this, but who knows.

Pilot staffing vacancies for now do not at all reflect 5x London from JFK, but there are remedies that can accomplish that later.

tphuang

Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:34 pm

N757ST wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Pilot staffing vacancies for now do not at all reflect 5x London from JFK, but there are remedies that can accomplish that later.

I assume the Boston crew will handle some of the JFK flights. Waiting to actually hear from JetBlue on this one.

SESGDL

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:00 pm

tphuang wrote:

NYC-LON 5x next year is a pipe dream and not going to happen. Where is this demand going to come from?

Jeremy

codc10

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:13 pm

SESGDL wrote:
tphuang wrote:

NYC-LON 5x next year is a pipe dream and not going to happen. Where is this demand going to come from?

Jeremy

With only 114 seats to fill, I feel better about demand than I do about LHR slots.

Perhaps a long-term goal is 5x daily, but reaching that level of JFK-LHR frequency by next summer (to say nothing of BOS-LHR) seems unrealistic.

Polot

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:19 pm

codc10 wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Jeremy

With only 114 seats to fill, I feel better about demand than I do about LHR slots.

Perhaps a long-term goal is 5x daily, but reaching that level of JFK-LHR frequency by next summer (to say nothing of BOS-LHR) seems unrealistic.

To be fair they say LON and not LHR specifically.

codc10

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Polot wrote:
codc10 wrote:
SESGDL wrote:

Jeremy

To be fair they say LON and not LHR specifically.

In that case, much more reasonable for the short term.

airbazar

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:24 pm

codc10 wrote:

Humm.. I see no problem with that. The market is ginormous and the pentup demand is thru the roof, assuming all Covid restrictions are gone by next Summer. Factor in the demise of Norwegian and WOW, and they will have no problem whatsoever filling 5 daily A321's to London. They could fill 5 daily from both BOS and JFK is they had the slots.

tphuang

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:25 pm

SESGDL wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Jeremy

I'm sure if the demand is not there, they can put the aircraft on JFK-LAX.

For later this month, BA/AA is currently operating 6x daily on JFK-LHR and DL/VS is operating 3x. I'm sure both of that will be a lot higher next year when US/UK demand should be a lot higher.

Isn't the point of B6 service to try compete on schedule with existing players? After all, they have the most flights on NYC-LAX market. They now have access to all the AA's corporate clients thanks to the NEA. They only have to fill 134 seats per flight. Is it really that hard to believe the largest airline out of JFK is trying to have a competitive schedule on the most or second most important corporate market out of JFK?

The bigger issue to me is the split operation between LHR & LGW.

hpff

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:59 pm

tphuang wrote:
The bigger issue to me is the split operation between LHR & LGW.

I could see this being a problem if they're specifically trying to lure business, which prefers LHR. But people will happily fly to LGW if the price is right, especially considering the transport links are competitive with LHR, which is surprisingly difficult to get to on public transit if you're not on the Piccadilly or express train lines - it actually only takes me ten more minutes to get to Luton on the train from here than it does to Heathrow even though Luton is over 20 miles further away...

wnflyguy

Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:18 pm

JetBlue will be just fine flying to London.
All the same naysayers said the same thing about WN flying to Hawaii. There’s no way they will be profitable and a single aisle on a 4 hr flight yuck.
Ya ya ya we have all heard it before.
If you haven’t already noticed all the typical haters on A.net bash anything that’s not their cup of tea.

Congratulations JetBlue! I hope to use you soon to Jump
Across the pond one day!

As for LCY prior to Covid BA was in the middle stages of the A220 LCY-JFK NONSTOP evaluation process.
Once things pick back up BA will definitely be back in the game. JetBlue could easily have a sub fleet of
Like 5 A220 in a 80%mint 20 % Even more leg room configuration to cater to the high dollar Business passengers. Add both LCY-LHR and LCY-BOS. Heck if LCY get PreClearance authorization I wouldn’t be surprised to even seen LCY-LGA. Never say never.

Enjoy or Don’t
Flyguy

Aresxerexade

Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:31 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
JetBlue will be just fine flying to London.
All the same naysayers said the same thing about WN flying to Hawaii. There’s no way they will be profitable and a single aisle on a 4 hr flight yuck.
Ya ya ya we have all heard it before.
If you haven’t already noticed all the typical haters on A.net bash anything that’s not their cup of tea.

Congratulations JetBlue! I hope to use you soon to Jump
Across the pond one day!

As for LCY prior to Covid BA was in the middle stages of the A220 LCY-JFK NONSTOP evaluation process.
Once things pick back up BA will definitely be back in the game. JetBlue could easily have a sub fleet of
Like 5 A220 in a 80%mint 20 % Even more leg room configuration to cater to the high dollar Business passengers. Add both LCY-LHR and LCY-BOS. Heck if LCY get PreClearance authorization I wouldn’t be surprised to even seen LCY-LGA. Never say never.

Enjoy or Don’t
Flyguy

Congrats Jetblue :)

MKIAZ

Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:18 pm

trueblew wrote:
MDC862 wrote:
Just a matter of time before the major players gang up and crush them on these routes.

What are they going to do, restyle their cabins, provide free broadband and live tv, spend more on food offerings and...... step up their service standards? :rotfl:

You also forgot lower their cost structure enough to be able to compete on price.

Look at what B6 has done to the premium transcon market. They have the ability to offer lower priced competition to the big airlines that is actually much more pleasant to fly in. I would be quite worried as to what the market will look like in 5 or 10 years if I'm BA/AA, considering B6 has the perfect geography for it's hubs to not only beat traditional airlines on price and service for nonstops, but also on connections - which gives them more demand allowing them to up-gague and add frequency on their domestic routes out of JFK/BOS.

Dieuwer

Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:35 pm

I am still skeptical about this route. The current COVID restrictions (e.g. double testing, forced waiting) will continue to deter many travelers.

BlueBaller

Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:58 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
I am still skeptical about this route. The current COVID restrictions (e.g. double testing, forced waiting) will continue to deter many travelers.

That’s precisely the point. They’re CURRENT restrictions, not permanent. The timing of this route couldn’t be more ideal, considering the last year and a half.

LHR was up 74% compared to July 2020.
LHR was still down 80% compared to July 2019

What does that mean? The competition is nothing like what it was pre-pandemic, with far less people flying. But JetBlue has already planned conservatively and held off the BOS flying until next year, and will go subdaily on JFK in the fall. Not to mention only have to fill 134 seats. Travel between US/UK was already up tremendously before the quarantine rules started relaxing. Travel will continue to perform at a healthy rate due to:

U.K: Is currently 59% fully vaccinated
U.S: Is currently 50% fully vaccinated

LHRs best performing route in July was NY/JFK.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 00531.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... acker.html

Dieuwer

Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:53 pm

So who will be on this JetBlue flight then? VFR traffic? Business people (personally, I think not)? Tourists?

fireman0174

Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:22 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

But JetBlue has already planned conservatively and held off the BOS flying until next year, and will go subdaily on JFK in the fall.

BOS next year? Last I heard (this morning on NY TV), BOS-LON (Gatwick?) next month around the 28th or so.

fcogafa

Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:31 pm

Norse will probably be moving into similar markets soon bringing prices down more. BA, AA, VS and DL will match prices. Too much competition for a small aircraft.

Wneast

Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:32 pm

fireman0174 wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

But JetBlue has already planned conservatively and held off the BOS flying until next year, and will go subdaily on JFK in the fall.

BOS next year? Last I heard (this morning on NY TV), BOS-LON (Gatwick?) next month around the 28th or so.

No that’s JFK-LGW

TC957

Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:16 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

That’s precisely the point. They’re CURRENT restrictions, not permanent. The timing of this route couldn’t be more ideal, considering the last year and a half.

LHR was up 74% compared to July 2020.
LHR was still down 80% compared to July 2019

What does that mean? The competition is nothing like what it was pre-pandemic, with far less people flying. But JetBlue has already planned conservatively and held off the BOS flying until next year, and will go subdaily on JFK in the fall. Not to mention only have to fill 134 seats. Travel between US/UK was already up tremendously before the quarantine rules started relaxing. Travel will continue to perform at a healthy rate due to:

U.K: Is currently 59% fully vaccinated
U.S: Is currently 50% fully vaccinated

The UK is now 75% adult population fully vaxed.

TC957

Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:24 pm

Looks like N4022J is the lucky frame to do the inaugural service. The one that did the route proving flights.
How many 321NEO's have been equipped for TATL flights or can we expect 4022J to be solely used to & fro LHR ?

N757ST

Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:32 pm

Not solely, 4044J is slated to operate it tomorrow.

Polot

Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:35 pm

The N4XXXJs are the A321LRs, which are the only planes capable of flying TATL at the moment. If I’m not mistaken B6 currently only has 2, N4022J and N4048J.

RWA380

Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:37 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

Many, but remember UA & DL took their 757's further into Europe than the British Isles or Portugal for example. UA flex EWR-TXL 3458 nm, NW flew BDL-AMS 3078 nm, DL flew PIT-CDG 3398 nm.

So while your statement is correct, it is not correct for LHR/LGW. Full passenger loads will be enjoyed year around by B6 with their very efficient A-321neo's, their longest flight will be a mere 3015 nm.

Mileages will be JFK-LHR 2999 nm, BOS-LHR 2837 nm, JFK-LGW 3015 nm & BOS-LGW 2853 nm. If JFK & BOS are the only two gateways to Europe for B6, then they can easily target LIS, MAD, CDG, AMS, BRU, CPH, FRA or GVA & not have reliability issues.

I am sure we'll see these aircraft flying from TYO or ICN to ANC & beyond. Like the 757, I think their true worth, will be realized after airlines get used to them & find that with reduced seating, it'll go further than advertised even.

Polot

Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:42 pm

RWA380 wrote:
I am sure we'll see these aircraft flying from TYO or ICN to ANC & beyond. Like the 757, I think their true worth, will be realized after airlines get used to them & find that with reduced seating, it'll go further than advertised even.

TYO-ANC is shorter than NYC-LON. The lack of ANC-Asia (for pax service) has more to do with questionable market sizes and profitability than range.

BlueBaller

Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:51 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
So who will be on this JetBlue flight then? VFR traffic? Business people (personally, I think not)? Tourists?

Why are you so pressed? Even at an assumed paltry 1,000,000 passengers per month flying into LHR/LGW, and JetBlue operating 2/3 of a full schedule, that’s 2600 seats on JFK-LON by just one little hybrid airline. That’s 0.26% of the total monthly traffic.

scbriml

Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:10 pm

Polot wrote:
The N4XXXJs are the A321LRs, which are the only planes capable of flying TATL at the moment. If I’m not mistaken B6 currently only has 2, N4022J and N4048J.

Correct. Their 3rd frame, N4058J had it's first flight on 4th August, so is probably close to delivery by early next week (based on just nine days between first flight and delivery for N4048J).

RWA380

Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:12 pm

Polot wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

TYO-ANC is shorter than NYC-LON. The lack of ANC-Asia (for pax service) has more to do with questionable market sizes and profitability than range.

Ravn Alaska is in the process of acquiring used 757's, starting a new ANC based carrier & their plan is to have is going by 2024 TYO & ICN were both identified as unserved markets with at least seasonal appeal that they will fly. They also mentioned JFK, LAX, LAS as a few of their intended lower 48 destinations, their plan is to convert to the A-3121xlr or lr models.

kearnet

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:30 am

Flight B6 7, first with PAX to LHR is officially on her way!

BlueBaller

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:39 am

Got everyone intrigued including Boston center’s Cape sector:

ZBW: “Jetblue 7 got time for a question?”

LiveATC was particularly colorful tonight

a350lover

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:45 am

Anyone could give a hint on figures/loads for the inaugural service from JFK to LHR or back? ✋

Wishing all the best luck for Jetblue in their venture to “Europe”

JoseSalazar

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:55 am

a350lover wrote:
Anyone could give a hint on figures/loads for the inaugural service from JFK to LHR or back? ✋

Close to full going there. Not so much coming back. Guessing the return loads will be light until some of the US traffic returns…as I doubt the UK point of sale is strong right now. Also, with the covid surge and with school starting, it’ll probably be light loads all around anyway until business returns.

TC957

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:05 am

Once the Biden administration gives the green light for the return of normal US travel there will be a rapid rise in westbound traffic. I'm sure BA and especially VS have plans in place to take advantage of this from day 1. So until B6 build up their 321LR fleet quickly they may miss out if the change to the travel rules comes soon.

scbriml

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:31 am

And she's landed. Welcome to London JetBlue!

NASBWI

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:39 am

a350lover wrote:

I don’t have any info on loads westbound. However, I had the pleasure of working a domestic flight in Mint with a family from Switzerland…it was their first time flying jetBlue (Mint, on top of that). They were SO impressed with the product and service that went along with it. This was before Mint 2.0 rolled out.

While billboard, print, online, and radio advertising can definitely gain traction: positive word of mouth is an almost guaranteed “in”. The family that flew with us are frequent premium customers on the likes of Swiss, Lufthansa, and other airlines that offer premium services that can compete in a global arena.

Their conclusion by flight’s conclusion: we had a seriously competitive experience…and this was Mint 1.0. It was a nice feeling to be complimented that way, as I’ve served with B6 for a while - and was accustomed to friendly service (albeit “basic” with hard offerings pre-Mint). Especially complimentary, coming from a European family, accustomed to a certain standard, and being wowed by the offerings of a US carrier that’s been considered “budget”.

jfklganyc

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:35 am

a350lover wrote:

Generally speaking, loads beyond next week range from not bad to awful.

Let’s face it, this is a bad time to start service to Europe…but a good time if you want to get an opportunity.

ContinentalEWR

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:14 am

Isn't the JFK-LHR route going to 4 x week, or less, for a time in September before resuming once daily in October?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos