Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing74741R

Re: JetBlue Officially Launching LHR/LGW

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:22 am

BlueBaller wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
I am still skeptical about this route. The current COVID restrictions (e.g. double testing, forced waiting) will continue to deter many travelers.

That’s precisely the point. They’re CURRENT restrictions, not permanent. The timing of this route couldn’t be more ideal, considering the last year and a half.

LHR was up 74% compared to July 2020.
LHR was still down 80% compared to July 2019

What does that mean? The competition is nothing like what it was pre-pandemic, with far less people flying. But JetBlue has already planned conservatively and held off the BOS flying until next year, and will go subdaily on JFK in the fall. Not to mention only have to fill 134 seats. Travel between US/UK was already up tremendously before the quarantine rules started relaxing. Travel will continue to perform at a healthy rate due to:

U.K: Is currently 59% fully vaccinated
U.S: Is currently 50% fully vaccinated

LHRs best performing route in July was NY/JFK.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 00531.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... acker.html

You're forgetting a major salient point: the US is currently closed to UK-originating passengers (same with most European countries). It's the other way round for US visitors to the UK providing they have been double vaccinated. Until this changes, loadings won't reach their full potential.

Also, as of this week 75% of the UK's adult population is now fully vaccinated.

I also wouldn't read too much into last month's figures as it's starting from a very low base.

Opus99

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:39 am

I think B6 will do very well on this route. I think they have enough of a differentiated product to get healthy loads and they plan to go up to 5 daily flights. What I’m not sure on is the pricing being any different from legacy carriers. A look on their booking engine will tell you that. But it doesn’t have to be. It’s good enough for them to charge that price. Will JetBlue steal many customers? No, but they don’t need to. They have enough existing customers that will utilise this service extensively especially with their deep presence in the US East coast.

tphuang

Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:19 pm

it's going 4x weekly in September. As of now, there is no changes in October. But who knows with Delta Variant raging around the world.

Some press release on this. No new info from JetBlue's press release.
http://blueir.investproductions.com/inv ... -120031009

Some more pictures from articles on this
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... rvice.html

I'd assume there will be a whole lot more articles and videos coming out in the next few days.

From what i can see, the economy class food is quite good.

Dieuwer

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:03 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
I am still skeptical about this route. The current COVID restrictions (e.g. double testing, forced waiting) will continue to deter many travelers.

That’s precisely the point. They’re CURRENT restrictions, not permanent. The timing of this route couldn’t be more ideal, considering the last year and a half.

What does that mean? The competition is nothing like what it was pre-pandemic, with far less people flying. But JetBlue has already planned conservatively and held off the BOS flying until next year, and will go subdaily on JFK in the fall. Not to mention only have to fill 134 seats. Travel between US/UK was already up tremendously before the quarantine rules started relaxing. Travel will continue to perform at a healthy rate due to:

You're forgetting a major salient point: the US is currently closed to UK-originating passengers (same with most European countries). It's the other way round for US visitors to the UK providing they have been double vaccinated. Until this changes, loadings won't reach their full potential.

I also wouldn't read too much into last month's figures as it's starting from a very low base.

Also in Massachusetts, 75% of the adult population is fully vaccinated. Thus, I don't see why there cannot be a "corridor" between BOS and LHR. You could even require people to prove MA residency to thwart people who connect from high-case areas.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... cases.html

Polot

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Boeing74741R wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:

Also in Massachusetts, 75% of the adult population is fully vaccinated. Thus, I don't see why there cannot be a "corridor" between BOS and LHR. You could even require people to prove MA residency to thwart people who connect from high-case areas.

I don’t think there is any legal authority to regulate international travel down to the state level like that.

jfklganyc

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:37 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Boeing74741R wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:

In the whole US 70 percent of the adult population has had at least one dose.

The Mass stat isnt that special.

More importantly, it is becoming apparent from the CNN red maps that the whole country outside the NE (areas with high and low vax rates) is a high transmission area. Which means, the Mass vax rate wont mean much next week as Madam Delta runs northward.

tphuang

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:23 pm

TPG article on this
https://thepointsguy.com/news/onboard-j ... inaugural/
I can't help but think the Y product might be too good (as in too costly) and they are going to have to cut some stuff back after a while.

scbriml

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:49 pm

B620 departed 14:27BST on its way back to NY.

Dieuwer

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:45 pm

I priced out flying Mint JFK-LHR 9/8/-9/14 for $1,985.05 all in. https://www.jetblue.com/booking/trip-summary Seems ok price, but not super cheap.
BOS-LHR on the same dates via JFK on JetBlue is about $2,200 which is way cheaper than the legacies.

JoseSalazar

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:10 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
I priced out flying Mint JFK-LHR 9/8/-9/14 for $1,985.05 all in. https://www.jetblue.com/booking/trip-summary Seems ok price, but not super cheap.
BOS-LHR on the same dates via JFK on JetBlue is about $2,200 which is way cheaper than the legacies.

$2k roundtrip for a transatlantic lie flat biz class seat JFK-LHR? Seems cheap to me.

32andBelow

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:55 pm

scbriml wrote:

It drives me crazy seeing JetBlue flights listed as B6XX haha it’s confusing to my eyes

JoseSalazar

Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:08 pm

32andBelow wrote:
scbriml wrote:

It drives me crazy seeing JetBlue flights listed as B6XX haha it’s confusing to my eyes

No kidding. Sure wish they could grab JB and replace B6 with it. Doubt that’ll ever happen though.

tphuang

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:29 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

$2k roundtrip for a transatlantic lie flat biz class seat JFK-LHR? Seems cheap to me.

I wonder how that will look when things are closer to normal. The J fares on TATL right now is pretty low by historical standard, even on routes B6 aren't competing in. I wonder how it will look when BA/AA is back to 14x daily. I'd imagine as long as B6 is running 5 or 6x daily, BA would ever to price their fares within a certain threshold.

32andBelow

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:04 pm

tphuang wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

I wonder how that will look when things are closer to normal. The J fares on TATL right now is pretty low by historical standard, even on routes B6 aren't competing in. I wonder how it will look when BA/AA is back to 14x daily. I'd imagine as long as B6 is running 5 or 6x daily, BA would ever to price their fares within a certain threshold.

I guess it would depend on total demand. 5 trips on a narrow body is only so many seats

Electra

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:22 pm

It will interesting to see how B6 go with UK point of sale (once travel restrictions ease of course). I have no doubt they will be strong with USA point of sale, given their large customer bases in NY and BOS, as well as an overall nationwide brand awareness.
In the UK, there is little brand recognition. B6 will likely be targeting their traditional market segment, price-conscious travellers who still want a more premium experience. The higher yielding UK market will of course stay loyal to the legacies with their mileage, status, lounges, networks etc. While the lower yielding market doesn’t travel to NYC/BOS in huge numbers and Thomas Cook have that covered.
What will be interesting is how the market views connecting vs direct flights as things return to normal. The market (in the UK) that would be B6 territory have traditionally been inclined to book connecting flights with European carriers which are often cheaper (particularly in premium cabins).
Moving forward, if people become reluctant to fly with connections, due to perceived issues with border restrictions etc, B6 may be able to capture that market. Otherwise, their lack of brand recognition in the UK will see them struggle to entice new travellers.
Of course, this could all be a mute point if their plan is to rely of USA point of sale.

aviatorcraig

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:40 pm

Electra wrote:
While the lower yielding market doesn’t travel to NYC/BOS in huge numbers and Thomas Cook have that covered.

As Thomas Cook went bust two years ago that's unlikely!

tphuang

Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:31 am

aviatorcraig wrote:
Electra wrote:
While the lower yielding market doesn’t travel to NYC/BOS in huge numbers and Thomas Cook have that covered.

This is exactly why now is a good time to start service. No lcc competition at all. The legacies are severely weakened with loads of debt. Especially ba and vs. while b6 is enjoying the far more recovered us market. Nyc London is such a small fraction of their overall network that losing money for a year really won’t hurt them that much.

stl07

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:07 am

tphuang wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:
Electra wrote:

This is exactly why now is a good time to start service. No lcc competition at all. The legacies are severely weakened with loads of debt. Especially ba and vs. while b6 is enjoying the far more recovered us market. Nyc London is such a small fraction of their overall network that losing money for a year really won’t hurt them that much.

Yup, no Norwegian Air Shuttle either

rj777

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:22 am

Is this service daily? Tried to look at it for next June...... not seeing it

trueblew

Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:27 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
scbriml wrote:

No kidding. Sure wish they could grab JB and replace B6 with it. Doubt that’ll ever happen though.

That would be nice. Even modifying B6 to 6B would make it easier to quickly discern the flight number. 6th Borough makes more sense than Borough Six anyhow.

chrisair

Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:46 am

trueblew wrote:
Even modifying B6 to 6B would make it easier to quickly discern the flight number.

Until the flight number is 868…

Boeing74741R

Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:34 am

Dieuwer wrote:

While there may be no reason to not have LHR-BOS flights, the reality is that at the moment almost all the traffic will be US-originating passengers until such a time Mr Biden lifts the proclamation banning UK-originating passengers. JetBlue will need passengers from both ends to make a success of it, not just the US despite their strong presence in the North East of the US. As somebody else has mentioned, JetBlue's challenge is building up brand recognition at the UK end. Not insurmountable, but still a challenge nonetheless.

aviatorcraig wrote:
Electra wrote:

Thomas Cook also didn't operate the same flights from London to parts of the US that JetBlue are/are doing either. That was all from MAN.

From memory, Thomas Cook long-haul from LGW was MCO and various other Caribbean destinations.

Electra

Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:00 am

aviatorcraig wrote:
Electra wrote:

Oops, my bad haha!
Sorry, I meant to say TUI. Was just referring generally to the holiday/charter style airlines.

jfklganyc

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:45 am

Electra wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:
Electra wrote:

Oops, my bad haha!
Sorry, I meant to say TUI. Was just referring generally to the holiday/charter style airlines.

B6 isnt a holiday or charter style airline.

Their product is on par or better to any network carrier and it is launched from two major hubs in New York and Boston.

By US standards, B6 is a smaller airline…but by European standards, B6 is larger than most European airlines in terms of fleet.

On par with BA, much larger than AF.

This isnt VS launching MAN-Caribbean Island.

This is a big deal.

Electra

Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:40 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Electra wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:

Oops, my bad haha!

Their product is on par or better to any network carrier and it is launched from two major hubs in New York and Boston.

By US standards, B6 is a smaller airline…but by European standards, B6 is larger than most European airlines in terms of fleet.

This is a big deal.

I never said that B6 were a holiday/charter style airline. I was mentioning that segment of the market as an example of people who would be be unlikely to fly B6; in the same way that the higher end of the market would also be less likely to as well. Apologies if that wasn’t clear.

B6 might be a very large airline by European standards, and have a huge US based customer base; but without brand recognition, they may not attract enough UK based travellers from their traditional market, middle of the market travellers who are cost-conscious but still want a premium product. If people become more cautious when it comes to connecting flights (due to travel restrictions etc), this could a prime time for B6 to capitalise on their nonstop offerings.

I agree that this is a big deal and I do wish them well.

jetwet1

Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:14 pm

SESGDL wrote:
tphuang wrote:

NYC-LON 5x next year is a pipe dream and not going to happen. Where is this demand going to come from?

Jeremy

If the US borders open up B6 will have no issues filling 5 321's a day, even up front they should be able to get good yields just based on their own FF pool.

tphuang wrote:
They now have access to all the AA's corporate clients thanks to the NEA. They only have to fill 134 seats per flight. Is it really that hard to believe the largest airline out of JFK is trying to have a competitive schedule on the most or second most important corporate market out of JFK?

The bigger issue to me is the split operation between LHR & LGW.

Are we 100% sure AA is giving up their Corp. contracts to B6 on the transatlantic routes ?

wnflyguy wrote:
JetBlue will be just fine flying to London.
All the same naysayers said the same thing about WN flying to Hawaii. There’s no way they will be profitable and a single aisle on a 4 hr flight yuck.
Ya ya ya we have all heard it before.
If you haven’t already noticed all the typical haters on A.net bash anything that’s not their cup of tea.

Enjoy or Don’t
Flyguy

It was amusing to watch the naysayers go on about WN failing to Hawaii, oh well, I hope they learned a little from it.

wnflyguy wrote:

Like 5 A220 in a 80%mint 20 % Even more leg room configuration to cater to the high dollar Business passengers.

Enjoy or Don’t
Flyguy

I really don't see B6 getting the high dollar sales, unless they manage to secure some Corp. contracts which frankly with 5 flights a week I don't see happening.

Dieuwer wrote:
So who will be on this JetBlue flight then? VFR traffic? Business people (personally, I think not)? Tourists?

The simple answer is yes, there will be a mix.

tphuang wrote:
TPG article on this
I can't help but think the Y product might be too good (as in too costly) and they are going to have to cut some stuff back after a while.

Yeah, that is a nice looking Y meal compared to the major, but maybe they will use that going forward to help separate them from the pack.

Pretty much as soon as B6 announced fares AA/BA & DL/VS matched them (who didn't see that coming ?) but much like back in '84, B6 has a better product in the same way that VS had a better product than BA.

Electra wrote:
It will interesting to see how B6 go with UK point of sale (once travel restrictions ease of course). I have no doubt they will be strong with USA point of sale, given their large customer bases in NY and BOS, as well as an overall nationwide brand awareness.

If they were trying to sell a 350-400 seat widebody, I would `00% agree with you, but 134 seats, once/if the markets return to a more normal setting B6 will have no issues filling just from the US.

Electra wrote:
In the UK, there is little brand recognition. B6 will likely be targeting their traditional market segment, price-conscious travellers who still want a more premium experience. The higher yielding UK market will of course stay loyal to the legacies with their mileage, status, lounges, networks etc.

IMHO you are a little off there, B6 does not compete so much on price (sure when they rolled out Mint they made a point of the price difference) but, as you said, travelers who want a more premium experience.

jfklganyc

Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:27 pm

Electra wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
Electra wrote:

Oops, my bad haha!

This is a big deal.

I never said that B6 were a holiday/charter style airline. I was mentioning that segment of the market as an example of people who would be be unlikely to fly B6; in the same way that the higher end of the market would also be less likely to as well. Apologies if that wasn’t clear.

B6 might be a very large airline by European standards, and have a huge US based customer base; but without brand recognition, they may not attract enough UK based travellers from their traditional market, middle of the market travellers who are cost-conscious but still want a premium product. If people become more cautious when it comes to connecting flights (due to travel restrictions etc), this could a prime time for B6 to capitalise on their nonstop offerings.

They have their work cut out for them.

The initial hurdle being there just arent that many people flying between the two cities at the moment

FlyHPN

Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:31 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Electra wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

This is a big deal.

They have their work cut out for them.

The initial hurdle being there just arent that many people flying between the two cities at the moment

Speaking from an American mindset, sometimes lack of brand recognition can be a blessing too. I have some friends who refuse to consider Spirit when flying, but had no problem hopping on a Norwegian flight to PTP when they were on the route from the Northeast US.

That aside, even if they make it up to 5 daily departures, it's still less than 700 seats, probably split between 2 hubs on the US side, and who knows where they will end up on the UK side. I believe you have enough moderately wealthy young people in the workforce on both sides who would be happy to tout they flew business class across the pond if they can get it for $2k on JetBlue vs $5k on BA. Even if it takes time to lurer the UK side, presumably everyone they fly over from the US is going to need to head back at some point, so if they can fill eastbound they'll be able to fill westbound.

I also agree I think they have their work cut out for them, but will ultimately do well.

tphuang

Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:21 pm

Keep in mind that they will not stop at 5x daily. They have 13 LRs and 13 XLRs on delivery. We could easily see them at 6x daily on JFK-LON and another 2 to 3x on BOS-LON before they move on to the next market. That would be competitive in schedule with their competitors. Of course, they'd have trouble capturing certain customers if they fly mostly into LGW. On the other hand, being the only LGW carrier also allows them to potentially attract some British customers who don't want to trek to LHR. I'm surprised they still don't have a partner in LGW. I thought U2 would make a lot of sense.

I also don't think they expect to price J are $2K while BA is charging $5k. I think they are expecting to price J at $2k a month+ out during low season, but price a lot higher during peak travel seasons. There is no reason BA will long term be able to charge double what B6 does for. They won't have that much of a schedule advantage when you consider how tightly bunched the NYC departures will be. B6 have now signed up with most of the major corporate accounts. The mint studio product is probably the best in this market. The Y product looks to be far and away the best. They will also have a fraction of the seats that BA/AA sell.

Even if they operate 9x from JFK/BOS to London, they'd only have about 1000 Y seat and a little over 200 J seat to sell. That's equivalent to 2 BA 747's in term of J/F seating. It would be less than the # of Y seat that DY offered on JFK/BOS-LGW.

I'm sure things will be hard until next summer, but it's only 4 flights a day out of over 1000 flights a day in their entire network. It's not going to hurt their bottom line that much. It is also important to get their foot in the door while legacy competitors are offering reduced scheduling. People should be more concerned about an airline like VS who is short on cash and have no where to fly those widebody aircraft.

airbazar

Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:33 pm

I think the brand recognition and having POS in both directions is severely overstated.
Brand recognition comes with time. When DY started TATL flights hardly anyone here had ever heard of them. That didn't seem to hurt them, why? Because no one calls up the airline's ticket office to book a plane ticket anymore. If it's on Kayak, or Orbitz, etc.. people will come.
Being able to sell on both sides of the Atlantic is also mostly moot. They are a U.S. carrier and like most or all U.S. carriers their POS will be predominantly in the U.S. which IIRC is still the largest air market in the World by a very long margin.

allegiantflyer

Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:08 am

The A321LR certainly puts JetBlue in a unique position for transatlantic travel. I Wonder if they would consider P2P markets in the Northeast - Such as BDL-LON

jomur

Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:31 am

Once the border opens fully JetBlue will probably find things a lot harder than they expected when all the normal transatlantic flights are running and the subsequent drop in prices.

tphuang

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:33 am

jomur wrote:
Once the border opens fully JetBlue will probably find things a lot harder than they expected when all the normal transatlantic flights are running and the subsequent drop in prices.

what are you talking about? Have you seen where the prices are?

BA is going to survive on 2K R/T J fares on JFK-LHR?

RvA

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:44 am

airbazar wrote:
I think the brand recognition and having POS in both directions is severely overstated.
Brand recognition comes with time. When DY started TATL flights hardly anyone here had ever heard of them. That didn't seem to hurt them, why? Because no one calls up the airline's ticket office to book a plane ticket anymore. If it's on Kayak, or Orbitz, etc.. people will come.
Being able to sell on both sides of the Atlantic is also mostly moot. They are a U.S. carrier and like most or all U.S. carriers their POS will be predominantly in the U.S. which IIRC is still the largest air market in the World by a very long margin.

Routes like JFK-LHR you will want (maybe even need) both POS to sell. B6s competitors do just this.
Brand recognition is definitely important. You mention DY as an example but is DY still flying? No one books by phone, but people DO shop around and if the prices are similar, do you think most will book B6 over BA or Virgin if they are British? Or DL/AA/UA if they are American? The latter, more likely as people at least know who B6 are, and maybe even like them or prefer them. But if you already have some AA miles, or DL etc. and the prices are fine, why would you book B6?

MIflyer12

Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:27 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
In the whole US 70 percent of the adult population has had at least one dose.

The Mass stat isnt that special.

The English standard is fully vaccinated, not 'at least one dose.'

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail ... 021-07-28/

The NYT vaccination database for 18+ puts Mass at 75.3% for fully vaccinated in contrast to a natiowide stat of 62%. In fact, the top five states for full vaccination are all in New England. New Hampshire is, predictably, the regional slacker.

B6 could use some good luck with entry restrictions brought down but airline route profitability shouldn't drive public health policy.

MIflyer12

Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:32 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

This is a big deal.

You're ignoring gauge. Nice try.

tphuang

Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:34 pm

RvA wrote:
Routes like JFK-LHR you will want (maybe even need) both POS to sell. B6s competitors do just this.
Brand recognition is definitely important. You mention DY as an example but is DY still flying? No one books by phone, but people DO shop around and if the prices are similar, do you think most will book B6 over BA or Virgin if they are British? Or DL/AA/UA if they are American? The latter, more likely as people at least know who B6 are, and maybe even like them or prefer them. But if you already have some AA miles, or DL etc. and the prices are fine, why would you book B6?

With that argument, why would anyone from anywhere ever book B6 flights? It's not like they have any loyalty over in California or Seattle. Yet, they continue to do great on all the mint routes out of NYC/Boston.

Let's do some simple math. Let's say NYC/LON is a market that's 50/50 in POS. 5 B6 flights offer 1/6 the J capacity offered by the 10+ AA/BA widebody flights and 40% the J capacity offered by DL/VS and 1/2 the J capacity offered by UA. They need to capture under 10% of the premium market for this to be worth it. Even if they don't capture any of London POS, they still only need to capture 20% of NYC point of sale in premium cabin. That's not harder for JetBlue. They do a lot better than that on NYC-LAX.

It seems like you are unaware of their reputation here.

RvA

Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:32 am

tphuang wrote:
RvA wrote:

With that argument, why would anyone from anywhere ever book B6 flights? It's not like they have any loyalty over in California or Seattle. Yet, they continue to do great on all the mint routes out of NYC/Boston.

Let's do some simple math. Let's say NYC/LON is a market that's 50/50 in POS. 5 B6 flights offer 1/6 the J capacity offered by the 10+ AA/BA widebody flights and 40% the J capacity offered by DL/VS and 1/2 the J capacity offered by UA. They need to capture under 10% of the premium market for this to be worth it. Even if they don't capture any of London POS, they still only need to capture 20% of NYC point of sale in premium cabin. That's not harder for JetBlue. They do a lot better than that on NYC-LAX.

Not unaware, but not blindly confident it’s enough. Not saying it cannot work, but don’t think it should be assumed to work because it’s B6.
Do they have any interline feed on the London end btw?

by738

Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:55 am

Lets hope its all a success and the next phase of GLA and MAN goes ahead.

b777900

Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:41 am

What about LHR-JFK-LAX JFK-LHR?

tphuang wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Now, it looks like they have 27 min turnaround. It looks like they are going to have 3 LRs doing 2 R/T.

I assume that means the 3rd LR will be kept as a hot spare doing domestic transcon flights.

Unless of course, they end up doing another destination like JFK-KEF.

3 dedicated tails in service by Sept.

Tail A doing JFK-LHR and sitting in London for the day, returning a few minutes before Tail B launches.
Tail B doing JFK-LHR the next night, returning a few minutes before tail A launches.
Tail C doing JFK-LGW and running the round robin

I’m sure they’ll rotate Tail C into the LHR mix to increase utilization which will spread around MX checks.

Right, but one of tail A or B will be sitting in JFK all day. Knowing JetBlue, I don't see them just keeping it grounded all day. It seems to me that one could do 1 R/T on JFK-LAX.

chonetsao

Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:54 am

There is a news item about the JFK-LHR route by JetBlue on Simpleflying. Apparently the CEO did not think the travel ban will be lifted until November as earliest.

So I think we should give up on any hope that JetBlue will expand its TA service until next summer. It would be a miracle if the planned routes kept its frequency during October2021 -February 2022 period.

However, that being said, should the travel ban get lifted earlier than November, there is a chance new JetBlue service gets introduced.

jomur

Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:59 am

rj777 wrote:
Is this service daily? Tried to look at it for next June...... not seeing it

Do they even have any slots for next year?

tphuang

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:52 am

RvA wrote:
tphuang wrote:
RvA wrote:

Not unaware, but not blindly confident it’s enough. Not saying it cannot work, but don’t think it should be assumed to work because it’s B6.

Then you should know that they are the largest carrier out of JFK (37% from latest numbers) and owns the largest point of sale out of JFK of any carrier. They are not a ULCC like U2 or DY. They have the best hard product in the market. They have a huge loyal following here in NYC. A lot of people pay extra to fly them. They've built most of their network without much reputation on the end other. VS with their tiny fleet and network out of LHR is the one that's in trouble.

I keep reading that people doubt this will work. What does that mean? Airlines fly routes for strategic reasons all the time. B6 flies to ATL despite losing boatload of money on BOS-ATL. London is easily one of the top 3 business markets out of NYC. It's completely silly for an airline that is investing in a $3.9 billion new terminal at JFK and buying 26 LR/XLR aircraft to not fly a competitive schedule to such an important market. If it ends up getting lower margin than rest of their network, it's something they just have live with. Even at losses, having 5 or 6 A321 R/T a day on NYC-LON will have minimal impact on their overall performance.

Even DY, with minimal connection and point of sale on both end, found JFK-LGW to be one of their top performing markets by 2019. The competitive landscape has gotten a lot easier on NYC-LON in the past year.

tphuang

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:53 am

chonetsao wrote:
There is a news item about the JFK-LHR route by JetBlue on Simpleflying. Apparently the CEO did not think the travel ban will be lifted until November as earliest.

So I think we should give up on any hope that JetBlue will expand its TA service until next summer. It would be a miracle if the planned routes kept its frequency during October2021 -February 2022 period.

However, that being said, should the travel ban get lifted earlier than November, there is a chance new JetBlue service gets introduced.

They don't really have the aircraft to fly more than twice a day right now. By next summer, they can probably do 5x daily at most.

MrHMSH

Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:18 pm

tphuang wrote:
RvA wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Then you should know that they are the largest carrier out of JFK (37% from latest numbers) and owns the largest point of sale out of JFK of any carrier. They are not a ULCC like U2 or DY. They have the best hard product in the market. They have a huge loyal following here in NYC. A lot of people pay extra to fly them. They've built most of their network without much reputation on the end other. VS with their tiny fleet and network out of LHR is the one that's in trouble.

I keep reading that people doubt this will work. What does that mean? Airlines fly routes for strategic reasons all the time. B6 flies to ATL despite losing boatload of money on BOS-ATL. London is easily one of the top 3 business markets out of NYC. It's completely silly for an airline that is investing in a $3.9 billion new terminal at JFK and buying 26 LR/XLR aircraft to not fly a competitive schedule to such an important market. If it ends up getting lower margin than rest of their network, it's something they just have live with. Even at losses, having 5 or 6 A321 R/T a day on NYC-LON will have minimal impact on their overall performance.

Even DY, with minimal connection and point of sale on both end, found JFK-LGW to be one of their top performing markets by 2019. The competitive landscape has gotten a lot easier on NYC-LON in the past year.

VS are in trouble for other reasons, they partner with DL and are well-known in the UK, they shouldn't have problems getting enough people to fly with them.

tphuang

Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:08 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
tphuang wrote:
RvA wrote:

VS are in trouble for other reasons, they partner with DL and are well-known in the UK, they shouldn't have problems getting enough people to fly with them.

I didn't say B6 is the main reason they are in trouble. They are now pricing R/T J fares at sub $2000 on many days for all their flights on JFK-LHR. That can't be good for their survival.

Why are they pricing so low (even on days B6 is not flying) if they have no problem getting people to fly with them? DL/AA/BA for the most part are at over $4k R/T.

RvA

Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:12 pm

tphuang wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I didn't say B6 is the main reason they are in trouble. They are now pricing R/T J fares at sub $2000 on many days for all their flights on JFK-LHR. That can't be good for their survival.

Why are they pricing so low (even on days B6 is not flying) if they have no problem getting people to fly with them? DL/AA/BA for the most part are at over $4k R/T.

It’s good that B6 have a high market share out of JFK. It will help them. If it will prove to be enough we will see. Everything we say is speculation.
I am not sure they have the best product btw. Isn’t BA flying their new business product as well now? (To JFK)
Also, B6 has a good product in the domestic market I remember from flying. Pitch etc was all quite fine. But on a transatlantic flight is their product, across all cabins, better or similar?

tphuang

Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:30 pm

here are the most recent reports on the Y product.
https://samchui.com/2021/08/13/trip-rep ... RkWDm4pDFM

The Y product seems to be too good to stay around at that level for a long time.

The j product seems pretty good, but they need to get the lounge situation worked out. I think that will happen this year.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/mint-experience-lhr-jfk/

by738

Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:14 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
VS are in trouble for other reasons

What is this ‘trouble’ you talk of? Massive over expansion?

skipness1E

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:15 pm

b777900 wrote:
What about LHR-JFK-LAX JFK-LHR?

tphuang wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:

3 dedicated tails in service by Sept.

Tail A doing JFK-LHR and sitting in London for the day, returning a few minutes before Tail B launches.
Tail B doing JFK-LHR the next night, returning a few minutes before tail A launches.
Tail C doing JFK-LGW and running the round robin

I’m sure they’ll rotate Tail C into the LHR mix to increase utilization which will spread around MX checks.

Right, but one of tail A or B will be sitting in JFK all day. Knowing JetBlue, I don't see them just keeping it grounded all day. It seems to me that one could do 1 R/T on JFK-LAX.

Wouldn't an A321N fall out of the sky before getting there? Daily? They'd run out of aeroplanes!

As for MAN and GLA, the US-Scotland market to EDI is waaay stronger.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos