Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAX772LR

Re: JetBlue Officially Launching LHR/LGW

Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:03 am

allegiantflyer wrote:
I Wonder if they would consider P2P markets in the Northeast - Such as BDL-LON

Very doubtful, for several reasons:

(1) it'd tax aircraft utilization, which with such a currently small fleet, could probably garner greater revenue with other uses

(2) unless they begin a UK-side strategic partnership, they wouldn't be able to offer significant connections; which such a limited-O&D market as BDL would need, in order to be competitive in opportunity-cost with another ex-JFK/BOS route.

VS4ever

Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:42 am

Best hope for BDL is EI coming back with
their connections through DUB to LHR. It was just about sustainable with the feed on the Dublin end and while technically LHR might have some feed in it. DUB is really better set up for this venture. B6 will stick with their massive POS at BOS and JFK, they have enough to do building that network out TATL and securing the slots needed. While it Would be fun to see. I’m with LAX on this one. Highly unlikely and EI have the planes to do it (321’s) to replicate what they did before. Although with the MAN venture maybe not as much as before.

tphuang

Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:26 am

I think we are too early in their TATL expansion to look past JFK & BOS. JFK/BOS-London + Rest of British Isles + Paris, that probably would take all the LRs they have on order. We'd already be in 2024 before they take their first A321XLR.

After that, it really will depend on how the initial flying are coming along. I see JFK-BOS-London/Paris as markets they have to serve. Anything beyond that is depending on how various markets are working out. Maybe they will use XLR for south America or JFK-Africa. There are so many markets where XLR would work in summer time, but doesn't work during winter time.

I see something like EWR-LON more likely than BDL-LON.

airbazar

Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:47 pm

RvA wrote:
airbazar wrote:
I think the brand recognition and having POS in both directions is severely overstated.
Brand recognition comes with time. When DY started TATL flights hardly anyone here had ever heard of them. That didn't seem to hurt them, why? Because no one calls up the airline's ticket office to book a plane ticket anymore. If it's on Kayak, or Orbitz, etc.. people will come.
Being able to sell on both sides of the Atlantic is also mostly moot. They are a U.S. carrier and like most or all U.S. carriers their POS will be predominantly in the U.S. which IIRC is still the largest air market in the World by a very long margin.

Routes like JFK-LHR you will want (maybe even need) both POS to sell. B6s competitors do just this.
Brand recognition is definitely important. You mention DY as an example but is DY still flying? No one books by phone, but people DO shop around and if the prices are similar, do you think most will book B6 over BA or Virgin if they are British? Or DL/AA/UA if they are American? The latter, more likely as people at least know who B6 are, and maybe even like them or prefer them. But if you already have some AA miles, or DL etc. and the prices are fine, why would you book B6?

DY had far worse problems than lack of brand recognition in the U.S. They never had a problem filling up seats.
POS is very heavily weighed towards the home market, always. There is nothing special about JFK-LHR. Most people who travel, have to return somehow :D
In the US-UK market and JFK-LHR market there is significantly more U.S. originating traffic than UK originating traffic. B6's biggest challenge is not the POS. Their biggest challenge is slots. IIRC these first few slots are not even permanent.
To answer your questions: Probably not if they are British. Possibly yes if they are American unless they have some sort of loyalty towards DL/AA/UA. But you're forgetting that B6 themselves also has a very large customer base that has been flying DL/AA/UA/BA/VS specifically because B6 doesn't. Those customers will be coming back to B6.

tphuang wrote:
I think we are too early in their TATL expansion to look past JFK & BOS. JFK/BOS-London + Rest of British Isles + Paris, that probably would take all the LRs they have on order. We'd already be in 2024 before they take their first A321XLR.

Agree. But if they decide to serve any other airport beyond JFK/BOS, my money is on EWR. It just makes sense to cover both NYC airports. And I could see them serve DUB with non-LR MINT equipment.

jfklganyc

Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:27 pm

tphuang wrote:

After that, it really will depend on how the initial flying are coming along. I see JFK-BOS-London/Paris as markets they have to serve. Anything beyond that is depending on how various markets are working out. Maybe they will use XLR for south America or JFK-Africa. There are so many markets where XLR would work in summer time, but doesn't work during winter time.

I see something like EWR-LON more likely than BDL-LON.

100 percent

F27500

Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:18 pm

Really hope transatlantic is a success for JetBlue. I'd love to see them take the next step and go up a size too .. maybe A330?

airbazar

Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:39 pm

tphuang wrote:
I see JFK-BOS-London/Paris as markets they have to serve. Anything beyond that is depending on how various markets are working out.

I forgot to add this. I don't think CDG is a must. It's a large market but is very seasonal.
IMO they should start with high yield business markets such as ZRH and MUC. That would make them real disruptors.

speedbird2263

Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:10 pm

F27500 wrote:
Really hope transatlantic is a success for JetBlue. I'd love to see them take the next step and go up a size too .. maybe A330?

If I were a betting man, I’d wager upguaging to a more capable and still efficient aircraft(I.e. wide body) is a when more so than an if for B6. I see the LRs and XLRs as pathfinders and appropriate still for thinner routes. I’m however a little weary of their premium heavy configurations and lack of any sort of substantial cargo carrying capability for Deep South America/Africa and elsewhere, hence my opinion on possible future WBs. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

tphuang

Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:51 pm

airbazar wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I see JFK-BOS-London/Paris as markets they have to serve. Anything beyond that is depending on how various markets are working out.

I forgot to add this. I don't think CDG is a must. It's a large market but is very seasonal.
IMO they should start with high yield business markets such as ZRH and MUC. That would make them real disruptors.

That's a good argument. RH has pretty consistently said Paris as their next market. So, that's why I think they regard it as a must serve. Keep in mind that there are a lot of business connection between NYC and Paris.

F27500 wrote:

By the time they are ready to buy a widebody, I don't think A330 would be a meaningful option anymore. It's also in their interest to not limit themselves to just Airbus product.

Abeam79

Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:58 pm

F27500 wrote:

Jetblue historically hasn't gone into markets that are too fringe on the side of betting. They are very well calculated bets, and that worked out very well for them in the past and most of the upper management planning team have experience working in the past at legacy carriers. Now when you stack up all the other "LLC's/premium/hybrid" like small point to point carriers outside the legacy airlines flying transatlantic that haven't been able to hack it in the past, they all lacked the thing jetblue has, a strong marketing brand and a sizable network on the US side and a better hybrid product akin to network legacy carriers. Jetblue has basically morphed into a much more cost efficient/lower cost model of a full service legacy carrier. They also have their 2 biggest hubs in the largest POS markets to Europe which helps alot. But I do think at some point when they have matured the markets and covid is behind us and most o the world population is vaccinated, you'll see global demand launch like we did in the states this summer if not even moreso, and at that point, if they can't get more slots, they may have to acquire widebodies to increase the ASM's to meet demand.

LX321

Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:19 pm

tphuang wrote:
airbazar wrote:
tphuang wrote:

That's a good argument. RH has pretty consistently said Paris as their next market. So, that's why I think they regard it as a must serve. Keep in mind that there are a lot of business connection between NYC and Paris.

F27500 wrote:

By the time they are ready to buy a widebody, I don't think A330 would be a meaningful option anymore. It's also in their interest to not limit themselves to just Airbus product.

So all other one supplier airlines are not limiting themselves?

RvA

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:23 pm

airbazar wrote:
tphuang wrote:

ZRH won’t work, ask AA :)

GSP psgr

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:44 pm

As far as beyond Paris.....my next two guesses would be Amsterdam and Madrid, which both have solid leisure demand mixed with at least some business traffic.

FlyHPN

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:45 pm

LX321 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
airbazar wrote:

F27500 wrote:

So all other one supplier airlines are not limiting themselves?

The argument is not that Airbus cannot have the business. The argument is that they should run a real campaign and see what both A & B (and maybe even lessors of returned craft) can bring to the table. The reality is who knows how long Airbus is going to want to produce 2x A330s/month, and the 359 is a large bird to start a wide body journey with.

airbazar

Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:22 pm

RvA wrote:
airbazar wrote:
tphuang wrote:

ZRH won’t work, ask AA :)

And somehow the route lasted for 31 years from JFK until it was moved to PHL
AA chose not to bother competing on the route from JFK and moved the flight to PHL rather than improve the product from JFK. B6 has a product that is competitive with LX, something AA never had. The biggest issue for JFK-ZRH is that they will need the XLR because the LR doesn't have the range in Winter.
However, ZRH may be a route that actually works best from BOS rather than JFK because of the large pharma industry in Boston. As I understand it the Pharma businesses in the NY area are predominantly in New Jersey.

tphuang

Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:43 pm

Another review on A321LR economy product

https://paxex.aero/jetblue-london-heath ... w-economy/
Looks really good to me. Great food standard by Y standard and seems like a lot of IFE options. Also more amenities in Y than you would normally expect for TATL (I normally get nothing in Y)

In the end of the day, a lot of people do pick based on product and this looks great.

AMALH747430

Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:04 am

I’ve read several reviews. It looks like the very well done economy product is where B6 really shines. Don’t get me wrong, the business cabin looks great but it’s one among many good products. The economy looks a cut above as it HAS to be. B6 HAS to have a product that is over and above the competition to make themselves competitive. AA/BA, DL/VS and UA have (in non pandemic times) many more frequencies to pick from. B6 isn’t going to get the slots to offer that kind of schedule so B6 is going to have to have a killer product (which it looks like they do) to get people to pick their flight over the vast array of choices on the major alliance carriers.

RvA

Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:30 am

So what is the key selling point for economy class, an extra inch over most (standard) economy seats across the Atlantic?
For business class is a supposedly lower price the selling point? More competition is better, but I am still wondering what the hype is about.

JoseSalazar

Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:35 am

RvA wrote:
So what is the key selling point for economy class, an extra inch over most (standard) economy seats across the Atlantic?
For business class is a supposedly lower price the selling point? More competition is better, but I am still wondering what the hype is about.

More legroom, good food and booze (free), fast WiFi (free). Nice interior appearance and comfort. And good fares. And a decent blanket and amenity kit. It’s not a singular selling point. It’s a whole package/nice overall experience.

GCT64

Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:32 am

airbazar wrote:
POS is very heavily weighed towards the home market, always. There is nothing special about JFK-LHR. Most people who travel, have to return somehow :D
In the US-UK market and JFK-LHR market there is significantly more U.S. originating traffic than UK originating traffic.

I realise I have significantly cut down your words, but just wanted to address one specific point, I believe the originating traffic is actually roughly even.
Quote from an article in the Independent a few days ago:

"In 2019, nearly four million Britons travelled to the US, according to the UK’s Foreign Office, while 4.5 million visits were made from the US to the UK, according to figures from VisitBritain."

tphuang

Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:40 am

US-UK market could be quite even in POS, but NYC-LHR could be quite NYC dominant. A lot of British people are probably going directly to Florida or California or other places in US. New Yorkers are probably mostly going to London.

Aside from this, most of the corporations have big offices in both NY?C and London. Just think about how many big banks have business travel between their UK/US offices. In those cases, people will have to pick an airline that's within certain threshold of the cheapest J fare. As long as B6 is an option in the corporate travel portal, then some people from British side will pick them due to corporate policy. B6 just needs to make sure that it has enough of a schedule to be an option for most customers. I think the % of people that would not consider B6 due to ffp is smaller than what people are making it out to be.

Mint studio (2 per flight) is probably the best product on JFK-LHR. here is a review of mint suit.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/mint-experience-lhr-jfk/

The biggest problem seems to be a lack of lounge. But that should get resolved sometimes this year.

airbazar

Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:02 pm

GCT64 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
In the US-UK market and JFK-LHR market there is significantly more U.S. originating traffic than UK originating traffic.

I realise I have significantly cut down your words, but just wanted to address one specific point, I believe the originating traffic is actually roughly even.
Quote from an article in the Independent a few days ago:

"In 2019, nearly four million Britons travelled to the US, according to the UK’s Foreign Office, while 4.5 million visits were made from the US to the UK, according to figures from VisitBritain."

And half of them end up at Disney World it seems :rotfl:
All joking aside that surprises me. I would have expected a lot more Americans than that visiting the UK.

RvA

Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:04 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
RvA wrote:

More legroom, good food and booze (free), fast WiFi (free). Nice interior appearance and comfort. And good fares. And a decent blanket and amenity kit. It’s not a singular selling point. It’s a whole package/nice overall experience.

Everything you said free in economy? At lower fares? Then I definitely think they won’t be around long. Haha! Unless they pay their crew less than Ryanair.

11C

Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:14 pm

RvA wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
RvA wrote:

Everything you said free in economy? At lower fares? Then I definitely think they won’t be around long. Haha! Unless they pay their crew less than Ryanair.

I’d like to frame this, and put it up alongside some other famous predictions. Haha!

RvA

Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:22 pm

11C wrote:
RvA wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:

I’d like to frame this, and put it up alongside some other famous predictions. Haha!

I’d love to be proven wrong. I actually want them to do well. Frame it, let’s see in a few years what happened.

Vicenza

Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:25 pm

RvA wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
RvA wrote:

But, interestingly, you are deliberately twisting his words. You asked what selling points(s) were for economy and he answered. At no point did he state they were all offered., or by JetBlue. Nor, in fact do I think you know much about Ryanair. Why make stuff up?

tphuang

Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:41 pm

RvA wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
RvA wrote:

If you take a look at this review. Things they offer currently in economy for free:
- 32 inch pitch and 18.4 inch width seat
- real blanket
- 2 amenity kits with masks, ear plus, dental kit, socks and moisturizers
- Real solid main meal with multiple courses + dessert
- Free Booze
- A breakfast before landing
- free high speed wifi
- 5 live tv channel on seatback IFE + 181 movies and 111 TV shows

here is a description of the business class from TPG
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/jetblu ... lr-london/
according to the reviewer
The airline had a larger selection of new releases than I’ve seen on other carriers recently, so there’s a good chance you’ll be able to find something that you haven’t seen.

I think their Y product is probably too luxurious, especially the meal service. Meal service could be a point of cost cutting. Maybe the amenity kit won't have real blanket in the future. As for the hard product and IFE, I don't see that changing. They have it on mint domestically.

The business hard product looks great. Once they get lounge situation resolved, it will be even better.

If JetBlue products are reading this, please fix your IT issues!

RvA

Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:47 pm

Vicenza wrote:
RvA wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:

But, interestingly, you are deliberately twisting his words. You asked what selling points(s) were for economy and he answered. At no point did he state they were all offered., or by JetBlue. Nor, in fact do I think you know much about Ryanair. Why make stuff up?

Ok… so I asked for the selling points, but his answer were not the selling points, or even for JetBlue. Not sure what to do with that then.

RvA

Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:53 pm

tphuang wrote:
RvA wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:

If you take a look at this review. Things they offer currently in economy for free:
- real blanket
- Free Booze
- free high speed wifi

The airline had a larger selection of new releases than I’ve seen on other carriers recently, so there’s a good chance you’ll be able to find something that you haven’t seen.

I think their Y product is probably too luxurious, especially the meal service. Meal service could be a point of cost cutting. Maybe the amenity kit won't have real blanket in the future. As for the hard product and IFE, I don't see that changing. They have it on mint domestically.

The business hard product looks great. Once they get lounge situation resolved, it will be even better.

Thanks, that’s helpful. And makes the previous post I was quoted in even less sensible.
That is indeed a very solid offering, but as I mentioned before (and you also state) I believe that is too much, especially if the intent is to undercut the established competitors on price. I see that as high costs and a tight margin. I’m sure an A321 offers fantastic economics, but what year round load factors, at good yield, will be needed to make this profitable. In low season you can often find fares where you can see the fare itself is only $1, and all you’re paying are the YR and taxes. I suspect B6 might struggle to make this a financial success, as mentioned I hope they can manage it but unless their crew etc. is cheap (hence my earlier Ryanair mention) and they can keep their yields and load factors up I can’t see it working out.

CobaltScar

Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:24 pm

RvA wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
RvA wrote:

Like I said elsewhere, its funded by the charity of the Flight Attendants. They do an insane amount of work especially on these new TL flights. They have some of the worst work rules in the industry and have not gotten a raise since 2018. I shudder to think how poorly they are now paid thanks to inflation.

tphuang

Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:44 pm

RvA wrote:
tphuang wrote:
RvA wrote:

- real blanket
- Free Booze
- free high speed wifi

Thanks, that’s helpful. And makes the previous post I was quoted in even less sensible.
That is indeed a very solid offering, but as I mentioned before (and you also state) I believe that is too much, especially if the intent is to undercut the established competitors on price. I see that as high costs and a tight margin. I’m sure an A321 offers fantastic economics, but what year round load factors, at good yield, will be needed to make this profitable. In low season you can often find fares where you can see the fare itself is only $1, and all you’re paying are the YR and taxes. I suspect B6 might struggle to make this a financial success, as mentioned I hope they can manage it but unless their crew etc. is cheap (hence my earlier Ryanair mention) and they can keep their yields and load factors up I can’t see it working out.

JetBlue is not here to undercut legacies in pricing in Y. It will undercut legacies in pricing in J. People here in NYC and Boston will pay more to fly on them in Y. Since they have a fraction of seat to sell compared to their competitors, they should be able to get higher yield in y cabin. You have to ask yourself the question of why someone in NYC would fly AA/BA over B6 unless they are a loyal OW ff or AA/BA is pricing a lot cheaper?

As for cost, they do have a 20 to 25% cost advantage over the big 3. They don't have all the legacy costs like large pension plans, huge debt burdens, a lot of fleet types, lounges and alliance costs. They also lower cost by utilizing their aircraft more aggressively than anyone else. So, they've always had the best hard product in y class, but also a cost advantage. That's what has allowed them to do well in NYC. they get around the same yield as DL/AA in NYC, but their costs are a lot lower.

JoseSalazar

Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:01 pm

RvA wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
RvA wrote:

Ok… so I asked for the selling points, but his answer were not the selling points, or even for JetBlue. Not sure what to do with that then.

My points are exactly the selling points, and for JetBlue. Show me something I said that is not a highlight of JetBlue’s coach tatl offering.

11C

Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:33 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
RvA wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:

Like I said elsewhere, its funded by the charity of the Flight Attendants. They do an insane amount of work especially on these new TL flights. They have some of the worst work rules in the industry and have not gotten a raise since 2018. I shudder to think how poorly they are now paid thanks to inflation.

We really shouldn’t keep going back to this in unrelated threads. I agree, the timing was bad, they turned down their first TA, and then a pandemic struck. All very bad luck for a first contract, but not charity.

RvA

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:59 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
RvA wrote:
Vicenza wrote:

My points are exactly the selling points, and for JetBlue. Show me something I said that is not a highlight of JetBlue’s coach tatl offering.

Right

JoseSalazar

Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:24 am

RvA wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
RvA wrote:

Right

JoseSalazar wrote:
RvA wrote:

And here’s what tphuang wrote:
- real blanket
- Free Booze
- free high speed wifi

You asked what the selling point of JetBlue tatl economy was. I listed a slew of things. Someone else said what I listed wasn’t about JetBlue. Tphuang listed everything I listed (with a couple more items) and you seemed to like his response. What am I missing?

trueblew

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:38 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
RvA wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:

Right

JoseSalazar wrote:
RvA wrote:

And here’s what tphuang wrote:
- real blanket
- Free Booze
- free high speed wifi

You asked what the selling point of JetBlue tatl economy was. I listed a slew of things. Someone else said what I listed wasn’t about JetBlue. Tphuang listed everything I listed (with a couple more items) and you seemed to like his response. What am I missing?

This RvA chap sounds clueless. Don't waste your time. I found your reply to succinctly answer the question.

airbazar

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:53 pm

RvA wrote:
That is indeed a very solid offering, but as I mentioned before (and you also state) I believe that is too much, especially if the intent is to undercut the established competitors on price. I see that as high costs and a tight margin.

Their business model is not to undercut anyone on price in Y. I don't know where you live or who you typically fly with but it sounds to me like you're not familiar with JetBlue. I live in Boston and I fly B6 occasionally (more so lately because they seem to have maintained a higher amount of flying during the Pandemic), and B6 is NEVER the cheapest option in Y.
Their Mint product was significantly cheaper when it was introduced and that led other airlines to bring down their prices and it's possible that the same may happen in the TATL market. B6 has a very strong and loyal following in their home markets and that is their bread&butter. Their entire business model can be summarized by simply saying "they fly to destinations that New Yorkers and Bostonians want to fly to".

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos