Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

JetBlue Officially Launching LHR/LGW

Wed May 19, 2021 7:58 am

Their bookings were down for maintenance a few hours ago. It briefly went back up which revealed LHR/LGW, but it seems to have gone down again.

https://twitter.com/LuxuryTravelled/sta ... 60928?s=20

1x daily JFK-LHR begins August 12: https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/13 ... 63392?s=20

1x daily JFK-LGW begins September 30: https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/13 ... 34881?s=20

Boston to London launch date currently unknown.
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

B595

Re: JetBlue Officially Launching LHR/LGW

Wed May 19, 2021 8:13 am

When did they get the LHR slots? I thought there were doubts they would be able to land any. I take it the pandemic made some available?

DaCubbyBearBar

Wed May 19, 2021 8:40 am

Congratulations B6
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

Leej

Wed May 19, 2021 9:01 am

Would love to see B6 offer a LGW-PVD summer seasonal - a dream route for me!

jomur

Wed May 19, 2021 9:18 am

When the US gets on the green list and UK citizens can get into the US then expect BA and VS to ramp up their flights pretty quickly. Might be that Jetblue will be short lived at LHR if they only got short term slots due to reduced flying by the current slot holders.

Opus99

Wed May 19, 2021 9:22 am

NICE! Let’s go B6. Hopefully I can try it out this summer

Opus99

Wed May 19, 2021 9:23 am

jomur wrote:
When the US gets on the green list and UK citizens can get into the US then expect BA and VS to ramp up their flights pretty quickly. Might be that Jetblue will be short lived at LHR if they only got short term slots due to reduced flying by the current slot holders.

I really hope they can stay at LHR. That’s ideal at least for most Londoners

Brickell305

Wed May 19, 2021 9:24 am

Congrats to them on officially launching. The schedule into LGW is MUCH better than the schedule into LHR IMO. I’m guessing this likely had to do with preferable slots being harder to obtain for LHR.

N757ST

Wed May 19, 2021 10:27 am

I’m guessing that LHR slot time will have to change unless all 3 LRs are based in JFK. You can’t do that schedule with just the 2.

JohanTally

Wed May 19, 2021 10:53 am

B595 wrote:
When did they get the LHR slots? I thought there were doubts they would be able to land any. I take it the pandemic made some available?

I'm not sure if they are permanent slots or just temporary

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-g ... row-slots/

tphuang

Wed May 19, 2021 11:15 am

They only have a 13 minute Turnaround in JFK for the LHR flight? That seems strange.

ContinentalEWR

Wed May 19, 2021 11:18 am

jomur wrote:

Am glad for B6 though the LHR and LGW times should ideally be flipped. Not sure one flight makes too much of a difference, but yes, I would expect BA and VS to try and run them off but it is reduced flying at the moment that got B6 the slots. They are not permanent so it will be interesting to see what happens, a lot of it dependent on Britain's reopening and COVID as much as competition. When CO and DL joined UA and AA at LHR in 2008, everyone managed to coexist, and even after, BA and AA remained the dominant players on US-LHR, VS and UA close behind, and DL a distant third or fourth, but DL was able to narrow the gap a bit with the VS tie up. One B6 flight isn't really going to shake things up too much and it will take a lot for B6 to get to something like 6 x daily at JFK and 2 or more at BOS to LHR.

ClassicLover

Wed May 19, 2021 11:19 am

The flight schedule is here -

https://travelupdate.com/jetblue-heathrow-gatwick-schedule/

JFK-LHR-JFK -

"Departing New York, flight 7 will leave at 21:48 and land in England at 10:10 the next morning. The return service is designated flight 20 and will leave London Heathrow at 18:10, landing back stateside at 21:35 the same evening."

and

JFK-LGW-JFK

"Once again these will be daily services, with flight 43 departing the USA at 19:48, arriving into London is 07:55 the following morning. Return flight 44 will leave the UK at 12:10, landing back in New York at 15:43."

Lots of ground time, it seems!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

airbazar

Wed May 19, 2021 11:22 am

jomur wrote:

Unless the UK and U.S. both lift the mandatory PCR test in both directions, that could pose a problem. At 100 bucks per test, a trip across the Atlantic could be costly. France on the other hand has announced that they will offer free PCR tests to tourists.
Last edited by airbazar on Wed May 19, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polot

Wed May 19, 2021 11:23 am

tphuang wrote:
They only have a 13 minute Turnaround in JFK for the LHR flight? That seems strange.

Well obviously the plane arriving from LHR will not be the same one flying back to LHR.

N757ST wrote:
I’m guessing that LHR slot time will have to change unless all 3 LRs are based in JFK. You can’t do that schedule with just the 2.

Probably why we are hearing nothing about BOS-London at this time.

LuxuryTravelled

Wed May 19, 2021 11:34 am

Polot wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Well obviously the plane arriving from LHR will not be the same one flying back to LHR.

N757ST wrote:

Probably why we are hearing nothing about BOS-London at this time.

It did occur to me, whether with Boston (given the right slots), you could still do it with 3 aircraft.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2021 12:03 pm

Press release: http://blueir.investproductions.com/inv ... -130145701

BOS-LON will now launch in Summer 2022.
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

FluidFlow

Wed May 19, 2021 12:11 pm

Polot wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Would it be possible to fly JFK-LHR-JFK-BOS-LAX-JFK?

If you are back at JFK at 21:35 they should be able to fly to BOS at around 23:00, then early morning 5:00ish to LAX and be back in JFK around 19:00. Theoretically they could skip the BOS flight, but why not use the time to get some connecting pax from LHR.

For the transcon you can charge for the long haul cabin layout.

Opus99

Wed May 19, 2021 12:13 pm

Just did a booking test run. Flights are currently at 990 pounds return for the month of august and September. BA is charging 3500 for the same dates. Then again I wouldn’t expect B6 to come in that high. They’ll of course undercut legacy as they’re entering the market

This is for business class BTW

tphuang

Wed May 19, 2021 12:25 pm

FluidFlow wrote:
Polot wrote:
tphuang wrote:

If you are back at JFK at 21:35 they should be able to fly to BOS at around 23:00, then early morning 5:00ish to LAX and be back in JFK around 19:00. Theoretically they could skip the BOS flight, but why not use the time to get some connecting pax from LHR.

Now, it looks like they have 27 min turnaround. It looks like they are going to have 3 LRs doing 2 R/T.

I assume that means the 3rd LR will be kept as a hot spare doing domestic transcon flights.

Unless of course, they end up doing another destination like JFK-KEF.

cledaybuck

Wed May 19, 2021 12:40 pm

Does B6 have ETOPS approval yet?
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

Midwestindy

Wed May 19, 2021 12:47 pm

No one is going to mention flight 007.....
ORD & IND

AA & DL

luckyone

Wed May 19, 2021 12:51 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
No one is going to mention flight 007.....

Trademark menu starts with a vodka martini. Main includes a GoldenRibEye.

817Dreamliiner

Wed May 19, 2021 12:52 pm

Opus99 wrote:
Just did a booking test run. Flights are currently at 990 pounds return for the month of august and September. BA is charging 3500 for the same dates. Then again I wouldn’t expect B6 to come in that high. They’ll of course undercut legacy as they’re entering the market

This is for business class BTW

Indeed its a very good price. It will be interesting to see how they compete going forward. I should note that BA seem to have a 6 month advance purchase requirement for their cheaper fares in J to the US hence the massive difference.
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

hollywoodcory

Wed May 19, 2021 12:58 pm

JohanTally wrote:
B595 wrote:

I'm not sure if they are permanent slots or just temporary

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-g ... row-slots/

Those are temporary, but if their launching flights I'd guess they managed to get permanent ones? Would seem odd to start flights you have no guarantee you can keep.

ChrisNH38

Wed May 19, 2021 1:11 pm

Is the new Terminal E expansion at BOS going to be done by the time JetBlue starts?
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

BlueBaller

Wed May 19, 2021 1:19 pm

tphuang wrote:
FluidFlow wrote:
Polot wrote:

Now, it looks like they have 27 min turnaround. It looks like they are going to have 3 LRs doing 2 R/T.

I assume that means the 3rd LR will be kept as a hot spare doing domestic transcon flights.

3 dedicated tails in service by Sept.

Tail A doing JFK-LHR and sitting in London for the day, returning a few minutes before Tail B launches.
Tail B doing JFK-LHR the next night, returning a few minutes before tail A launches.
Tail C doing JFK-LGW and running the round robin

I’m sure they’ll rotate Tail C into the LHR mix to increase utilization which will spread around MX checks.

Scotron12

Wed May 19, 2021 1:20 pm

ClassicLover wrote:

JFK-LHR-JFK -

"Departing New York, flight 7 will leave at 21:48 and land in England at 10:10 the next morning. The return service is designated flight 20 and will leave London Heathrow at 18:10, landing back stateside at 21:35 the same evening."

and

JFK-LGW-JFK

"Once again these will be daily services, with flight 43 departing the USA at 19:48, arriving into London is 07:55 the following morning. Return flight 44 will leave the UK at 12:10, landing back in New York at 15:43."

8 hrs on ground at LHR is not ideal. Hopefully improves for them closer to launch.

tphuang

Wed May 19, 2021 1:24 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
tphuang wrote:
FluidFlow wrote:

Tail A doing JFK-LHR and sitting in London for the day, returning a few minutes before Tail B launches.
Tail B doing JFK-LHR the next night, returning a few minutes before tail A launches.

I’m sure they’ll rotate Tail C into the LHR mix to increase utilization which will spread around MX checks.

Right, but one of tail A or B will be sitting in JFK all day. Knowing JetBlue, I don't see them just keeping it grounded all day. It seems to me that one could do 1 R/T on JFK-LAX.

Brickell305

Wed May 19, 2021 2:24 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

JFK-LHR-JFK -

and

JFK-LGW-JFK

8 hrs on ground at LHR is not ideal. Hopefully improves for them closer to launch.

Yeah. It’s a strange schedule both utilization wise and timing of day wise. I’m also guessing that the aircraft will have to be towed to/from the gate as I don’t think LHR can sustain an idle gate for 8 hours during the day. These were probably just the best slots they could get at this point. It also relegates them to being almost entirely O&D for the time being on LHR-JFK as I’m not sure what legal connections are possible with that late of an arrival into JFK. Hopefully they can get better slots soon.

BA744PHX

Wed May 19, 2021 2:25 pm

WOW that LHR-JFK return flight is both awful for departure and arrival. I would assume they are relying solely on O&D for the return.

airbazar

Wed May 19, 2021 2:31 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
Is the new Terminal E expansion at BOS going to be done by the time JetBlue starts?

I'm not sure that is relevant since B6 already has gates in terminal E, today. That's where their Caribbean flights arrive at.

Boiler905

Wed May 19, 2021 2:36 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
jomur wrote:

Am glad for B6 though the LHR and LGW times should ideally be flipped. Not sure one flight makes too much of a difference, but yes, I would expect BA and VS to try and run them off but it is reduced flying at the moment that got B6 the slots. They are not permanent so it will be interesting to see what happens, a lot of it dependent on Britain's reopening and COVID as much as competition. When CO and DL joined UA and AA at LHR in 2008, everyone managed to coexist, and even after, BA and AA remained the dominant players on US-LHR, VS and UA close behind, and DL a distant third or fourth, but DL was able to narrow the gap a bit with the VS tie up. One B6 flight isn't really going to shake things up too much and it will take a lot for B6 to get to something like 6 x daily at JFK and 2 or more at BOS to LHR.

As long as B6 can retain the slots, I believe they will succeed in profitably existing on NYC-LON given B6's superior premium cabin product.

Furthermore, it's not like BA has a oneworld advantage given the AA/B6 partnership that now exists and those same miles can be earned on B6.

VS/DL will be the main competitor/threat.

Purely my opinion though
Boiler Up

Brickell305

Wed May 19, 2021 2:44 pm

Boiler905 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
jomur wrote:

As long as B6 can retain the slots, I believe they will succeed in profitably existing on NYC-LON given B6's superior premium cabin product.

Furthermore, it's not like BA has a oneworld advantage given the AA/B6 partnership that now exists and those same miles can be earned on B6.

VS/DL will be the main competitor/threat.

Purely my opinion though

The AA/B6 partnership excludes flights to LHR as far as I’m aware. In regards to service, I do believe they have a great product in Mint and have promised to undercut on pricing. While I do believe that will definitely attract people, I’m not really clear on the strategy. Why have the best product if you’re not going to be able to extract a revenue premium from it. Unless they believe that by doing that, it will force BA, AA, DL et. al to come down to their pricing levels and lower. If the legacies are able to offer a less premium product while simultaneously being able to charge higher fares, I don’t think they have much to worry about in the way of B6.

HIA350

Wed May 19, 2021 2:45 pm

will b6 try both london airport from EWR

B6BOSfan

Wed May 19, 2021 2:46 pm

Just tried booking BOS-JFK-LHR -- and system doesn't allow me too. Congratulations JetBlue, alienating your second biggest base on the launch of one of your most anticipated routes ever. SMDH.

Opus99

Wed May 19, 2021 2:47 pm

B6BOSfan wrote:
Just tried booking BOS-JFK-LHR -- and system doesn't allow me too. Congratulations JetBlue, alienating your second biggest base on the launch of one of your most anticipated routes ever. SMDH.

Boston starts in the summer of 2022

maverick4002

Wed May 19, 2021 2:48 pm

B6BOSfan wrote:

lol its been a few hours, ease up a bit

BlueBaller

Wed May 19, 2021 2:50 pm

tphuang wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Right, but one of tail A or B will be sitting in JFK all day. Knowing JetBlue, I don't see them just keeping it grounded all day. It seems to me that one could do 1 R/T on JFK-LAX.

I think they play it conservative to start. Let JFK Tech Ops have their way with them for a few months

B6BOSfan

Wed May 19, 2021 2:55 pm

Opus99 wrote:
B6BOSfan wrote:

Boston starts in the summer of 2022

A connection from what you advertise as your second biggest city should be possible immediately upon launch. It's your SECOND BIGGEST BASE to draw from.

TexasAirCorp

Wed May 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Leej wrote:

Rumour has it that Breeze is eyeing TATL BCS3 service from PVD. If this is true, I'd assume somewhere in London would be amongst the first destinations. Maybe room for JetBlue to compete with its founder!

TexasAirCorp

Wed May 19, 2021 3:09 pm

Just having a look at the fares, economy seems to typically be slightly more expensive than NAX's old JFK-LGW service.

Mint roundtrips are available for just over $1000. For a business class TATL, that's pretty damn good, especially considering the quality of the Mint product.

MDC862

Wed May 19, 2021 3:17 pm

Just a matter of time before the major players gang up and crush them on these routes.

trueblew

Wed May 19, 2021 3:23 pm

MDC862 wrote:
Just a matter of time before the major players gang up and crush them on these routes.

What are they going to do, restyle their cabins, provide free broadband and live tv, spend more on food offerings and...... step up their service standards? :rotfl:

BlueBaller

Wed May 19, 2021 3:24 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
Leej wrote:

Rumour has it that Breeze is eyeing TATL BCS3 service from PVD. If this is true, I'd assume somewhere in London would be amongst the first destinations. Maybe room for JetBlue to compete with its founder!

Breeze hasn’t even launched with its pre-owned E-190s yet. Its AOC was just recently awarded. Let’s see how they do with their east coast regional-style flying before skipping to the end of the line on overseas transatlantic with an entirely new A220 and ETOPS requirements.
Last edited by BlueBaller on Wed May 19, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlueBaller

Wed May 19, 2021 3:27 pm

MDC862 wrote:

Congratulations, you just joined the CVS receipt-long list of haters who’ve been saying the same thing since the year 2000. There’s plenty of room in the TATL market, both now and in the years to come, for JetBlue to hold its own and then some on London and beyond.
Last edited by BlueBaller on Wed May 19, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airzona11

Wed May 19, 2021 3:31 pm

Fun times. WN to Hawaii, B6 to LHR, all in a week!

sfojvjets

Wed May 19, 2021 3:33 pm

airzona11 wrote:

I'm still waiting for B6 service from SFO/LAX to Hawaii! Lol... hopefully next summer or at least within a few years.

hbernal1

Wed May 19, 2021 3:46 pm

sfojvjets wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

I'm still waiting for B6 service from SFO/LAX to Hawaii! Lol... hopefully next summer or at least within a few years.

Honestly, it would be amazing to have Hawaii service. I'm also waiting for B6 to come to SNA, but I might still be waiting for quite some time. That said, I'm really wish B6 well in their London flying - I checked B6's website and it's possible to book LAX-JFK-LHR, so B6 is an option for me if I'm flying to London.

mooseofspruce

Wed May 19, 2021 4:21 pm

Within the first couple of hours of the flights loaded, I looked at fares for SFO/LAX one-stop flights to London via JFK just to see, and the lowest I saw were at $465 from SFO and $486 from LAX (both on Blue Basic). Schedule-wise it's only 1-2 hours of layover time in JFK on the outbound, though on the return it's only the LGW-originating flights that get into JFK early enough for the onward transcons. Unlike elsewhere on their network, Blue Basic fares on these flights to LON include a carry-on for the overhead bin space in the fare without needing to pay to check it instead, which is key for someone like me.

I'd consider it even with all the nonstop options available from SFO between BA/VS/UA, which don't offer anything under $718 between now and as far forward as possibly bookable, with Norwegian no longer there to pricematch.
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!