Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaxTrimm
Topic Author

Eurowings announces SLC, other routes

Thu May 20, 2021 4:25 pm

Looks like Eurowings (with Lufthansa) is starting new FRA-SLC next Summer, along with RSW, PTY, and Kilimanjaro. Also in the release is MUC-CUN/PUJ/LAS, but I think those may be resumptions.

https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/newsr ... unich.html

BA744PHX

Re: Eurowings announces SLC, other routes

Thu May 20, 2021 4:52 pm

WOW SLC thats random,

In 2019 Eurowings announced FRA-PHX/ANC and MUC-LAS/MCO for 2020 which didnt start due to COVID
Again in 2020 Eurowings announced FRA-ANC but didn't launch,

I wonder if ANC & PHX are still in the works or scrapped all together

alohashirts

Thu May 20, 2021 5:04 pm

Germans love traveling to Utah. Also SLC serves as a gateway to the NP’s of Zion, Bryce, Yellowstone, etc., since it’s cheaper to fly into instead of JAC, SGU, CDC, etc. Also Salt Lake City itself is nice to visit and the surrounding metro area has a lot of outdoor activities.

BoeingGuy

Thu May 20, 2021 5:08 pm

alohashirts wrote:
Germans love traveling to Utah. Also SLC serves as a gateway to the NP of Zion, Bryce, Yellowstone, etc., since it’s cheaper to fly into instead if JAC, SGU, CDC, etc.

I wonder if DL will respond to this by adding SLC-FRA. SLC seemed to punch above it’s weight for Europe service prior to COVID with up to four flights a day.

hollywoodcory

Thu May 20, 2021 5:19 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
WOW SLC thats random,

In 2019 Eurowings announced FRA-PHX/ANC and MUC-LAS/MCO for 2020 which didnt start due to COVID

FRA-ANC/YYC which were announced as Eurowings routes previously, both appear to have been moved to LH mainline in 2022.
Not sure about PHX though.

The ANC flights can be found in the OAG from June 2/22 3x weekly on A343.
YYC from March 27th 5x weekly on A333.

https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/stat ... 5668234241
Last edited by hollywoodcory on Thu May 20, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polot

Thu May 20, 2021 5:19 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
alohashirts wrote:
Germans love traveling to Utah. Also SLC serves as a gateway to the NP of Zion, Bryce, Yellowstone, etc., since it’s cheaper to fly into instead if JAC, SGU, CDC, etc.

I wonder if DL will respond to this by adding SLC-FRA. SLC seemed to punch above it’s weight for Europe service prior to COVID with up to four flights a day.

I’m not sure it’s worth it. Most of the passengers will probably be European/German POS which DL will struggle to capture. With a smaller wide body fleet moving forward in the immediate future not sure that SLC-FRA is enough of a priority to devote resources to and fight over.

alohashirts

Thu May 20, 2021 5:36 pm

SLC definitely punched above its weight. During summer 2019 they had 4 flights a day (depending on the day of the week) to Europe between DL and KL.
Last edited by alohashirts on Thu May 20, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbmitt

Thu May 20, 2021 5:39 pm

alohashirts wrote:
Germans love traveling to Utah. Also SLC serves as a gateway to the NP’s of Zion, Bryce, Yellowstone, etc., since it’s cheaper to fly into instead of JAC, SGU, CDC, etc. Also Salt Lake City itself is nice to visit and the surrounding metro area has a lot of outdoor activities.

Grand Teton is south of Yellowstone and closer to SLC. Yellowstone also has good access from Bozeman, Billings, Cody, West Yellowstone, Jackson, Idaho Falls.

FSDan

Thu May 20, 2021 6:02 pm

Is FRA-RSW going to be in addition to DUS-RSW, or has EW decided to focus only on FRA and MUC post-COVID?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

flyoregon

Thu May 20, 2021 6:03 pm

alohashirts wrote:

Zion is way easier to get to from Las Vegas than SLC, especially in the winter. But I see your point.

BWIAirport

Thu May 20, 2021 6:09 pm

Love to see this, especially SLC getting some love. Didn't EuroWings announce RNO-FRA at some point a few years ago but never launched it?
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL, FFT | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B38M B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

FLYKTPA

Thu May 20, 2021 6:15 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
Love to see this, especially SLC getting some love. Didn't EuroWings announce RNO-FRA at some point a few years ago but never launched it?

I’m pretty sure you’re thinking of the Thomas Cook LGW-RNO that never launched.

Ishrion

Thu May 20, 2021 6:15 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

You might be thinking of Thomas Cook announcing LGW-RNO.
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

alohashirts

Thu May 20, 2021 6:17 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

I think that was Thomas Cook. They announced LGW-RNO, but something to do with either lack of staffing at customs and immigration in RNO or the facility not being large enough caused Thomas Cook to withdraw their plans after they made an announcement, IIRC.

factsonly

Thu May 20, 2021 6:29 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

DL has a strong position in Germany thanks to AF/KL and has no need to respond with a direct SLC-FRA.

in 2019 DL already offered the following German connecties to SLC in codeshare:

- HAM-AMS-SLC
- HAM-CDG-SLC
- BRE-AMS-SLC
- BRE-CDG-SLC
- HAJ-AMS-SLC
- HAJ-CDG-SLC
- BER-AMS-SLC
- BER-CDG-SLC
- DUS-AMS-SLC
- DUS-CDG-SLC
- DRS-AMS-SLC
- FRA-AMS-SLC
- FRA-CDG-SLC
- NUE-AMS-SLC
- NUE-CDG-SLC
- STR-AMS-SLC
- STR-CDG-SLC
- MUC-AMS-SLC
- MUC-CDG-SLC

dcajet

Thu May 20, 2021 6:45 pm

Does the Eurowings FRA-PTY service replace LH mainline on the route?
Keep calm and wash your hands.

kavok

Thu May 20, 2021 6:45 pm

flyoregon wrote:
alohashirts wrote:

Zion is way easier to get to from Las Vegas than SLC, especially in the winter. But I see your point.

It’s worth noting that as beautiful as Teton, Yellowstone, etc. are, that (beyond the geysers), most of that scenery has something comparable in the Alps for Germans and other Europeans.

Southern Utah on the other hand (Zion, Bryce, Arches, etc.) with its red rocks and more arid mountain scenery is something totally different than exists anywhere in Europe. Not saying some German travelers won’t venture north, but Utah offers landscapes that are significantly different than what Europeans can find close to home.

AWACSooner

Thu May 20, 2021 6:49 pm

jbmitt wrote:
alohashirts wrote:

Grand Teton is south of Yellowstone and closer to SLC. Yellowstone also has good access from Bozeman, Billings, Cody, West Yellowstone, Jackson, Idaho Falls.

So? Folks like me fly into SLC and drive the 4+ hours because the fares into all those airports are exorbitant compared to SLC.

mcogator

Thu May 20, 2021 7:03 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
jbmitt wrote:
alohashirts wrote:

So? Folks like me fly into SLC and drive the 4+ hours because the fares into all those airports are exorbitant compared to SLC.

Not only are the fares significantly cheaper, so are the rental cars.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

USAirALB

Thu May 20, 2021 7:08 pm

SLC should be fairly successful, given the curious attraction Germans (and the Dutch I would say as well) have towards the intermountain west.

I know several German and Dutch couples that have rented RVs and drove throughout the area in the summer, stopping at all of the national parks.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

stl07

Thu May 20, 2021 7:14 pm

flyoregon wrote:
alohashirts wrote:

Plus a great way to unwind from a week of hiking is a weekend in Vegas
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

dcaproducer

Thu May 20, 2021 7:29 pm

jbmitt wrote:
alohashirts wrote:

JAC is literally in the middle of Grand Teton National Park. Grand Teton, the mountain, is just off the runway. But in general, JAC is a more expensive airport to fly into than SLC.

DUSZRH

Thu May 20, 2021 7:30 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
WOW SLC thats random,

FRA-ANC/YYC which were announced as Eurowings routes previously, both appear to have been moved to LH mainline in 2022.
Not sure about PHX though.

The ANC flights can be found in the OAG from June 2/22 3x weekly on A343.
YYC from March 27th 5x weekly on A333.

https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/stat ... 5668234241

All of the „Disco“ 4Y flights have been moved to LH for the time being (until AOC is approved). First long haul flights are currently expected in August.

REDHL

Thu May 20, 2021 7:31 pm

dcajet wrote:
Does the Eurowings FRA-PTY service replace LH mainline on the route?

Very likely according to the news release.

A curious fact: when the FRA-PTY flights were inaugurated back in March 2016, they were carried out by its subsidiary Lufthansa Cityline. That was the case until late 2017 or early 2018, when Lufthansa itself started to perform them.

RvA

Thu May 20, 2021 7:32 pm

USAirALB wrote:
SLC should be fairly successful, given the curious attraction Germans (and the Dutch I would say as well) have towards the intermountain west.

I know several German and Dutch couples that have rented RVs and drove throughout the area in the summer, stopping at all of the national parks.

Not so curious that is it?

RvA

Thu May 20, 2021 7:35 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:
Looks like Eurowings (with Lufthansa) is starting new FRA-SLC next Summer, along with RSW, PTY, and Kilimanjaro. Also in the release is MUC-CUN/PUJ/LAS, but I think those may be resumptions.

Btw just noticed it’s Eurowings Discover, the “new” brand.

TWA902fly

Thu May 20, 2021 9:26 pm

I'm actually surprised it took so long. Was thinking Eurowings or Condor could have a market there. Likewise, wonder if Icelandair has thought about it, seems like a market they could do okay in.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

slcdeltarumd11

Thu May 20, 2021 10:10 pm

It's a good add. Many europeans do the national park loop. They can fly into or out of den, slc or las. It just effects what order they see the parks. Ive seen a ton of europeans in utah/colorado during summer, the national parks are a huge hit especially with germans. I think this will do fine.

Delta/klm had four flights to europe already in summer (not covid times). Not sure they really care that much about FRA to respond as they have alot of seats but , maybe? Could really reduce fares if delta goes in and offer some bargains. I tend to think they will let this slide as it's really german heavy traffic. This won't really take passengers from delta , this flight will steal passengers from las and den. Again they do national park loops so this just changes where they start or stop not what they see.
Last edited by slcdeltarumd11 on Thu May 20, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaCubbyBearBar

Thu May 20, 2021 10:13 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:

MCO and LAS give them a true vacationing market for Europeans, so if their markets are like US markets, people just want out to have a good time. It “should “ work, I hope.
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

alohashirts

Fri May 21, 2021 7:14 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:

MCO and LAS give them a true vacationing market for Europeans, so if their markets are like US markets, people just want out to have a good time. It “should “ work, I hope.

I think it’ll do well. If it does, I wonder if the LH group will transfer the flight to a LH mainline flight.

alasizon

Fri May 21, 2021 7:55 am

flyoregon wrote:
alohashirts wrote:

A lot more people are hitting up Sedona, Grand Canyon, Zion/Bryce/Petrified Forest all in the same trip so it'll be interesting to compare their inbound/outbound load factors as since it's becoming increasingly popular to hit all of Utah and northern AZ in one trip resulting in a lot of XXX-SLC, PHX/LAS-XXX split trips or vice versa. It used to be rare but now it happens at least a couple hundred times a week and depending on the direction and season, rental car companies will give a pretty good deal for a one way rental since the fleet of cars is co-managed between PHX and SLC to adjust for the seasonal peaks and valleys (Avis/Budget and Thrifty/Dollar share cars between the two, not sure about Hertz and Enterprise). For Chinese and Taiwanese tourists this has been a pretty popular routing prior to COVID, will be interesting to see if more Europeans jump on the same bandwagon.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

LAX772LR

Fri May 21, 2021 8:34 am

So RSW will now have EuroWings nonstops to both DUS and FRA, or was DUS dropped?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

cityshuttle

Fri May 21, 2021 9:19 am

LAX772LR wrote:
So RSW will now have EuroWings nonstops to both DUS and FRA, or was DUS dropped?

EW long [= 4Y] dropped longhaul from DUS

peterjohns

Fri May 21, 2021 9:54 am

Zion is way easier to get to from Las Vegas than SLC, especially in the winter. But I see your point.[/quote]
Plus a great way to unwind from a week of hiking is a weekend in Vegas[/quote]

It´s the other way round in my experience. You go to the beautiful NP´s to unwind from the nerve-racking noise in Vegas!

wnflyguy

Fri May 21, 2021 1:29 pm

alohashirts wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

I think that was Thomas Cook. They announced LGW-RNO, but something to do with either lack of staffing at customs and immigration in RNO or the facility not being large enough caused Thomas Cook to withdraw their plans after they made an announcement, IIRC.

Your correct they planned on twice weekly ski seasonal service but RNO lacked the customs and immigration space at the time so they canceled plans.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

DUSZRH

Fri May 21, 2021 2:14 pm

alohashirts wrote:

I think it’ll do well. If it does, I wonder if the LH group will transfer the flight to a LH mainline flight.

Why would they? 4Y will be fully integrated in the booking system. Product will be very similar. So the difference will be the livery and the uniform. They won’t do any hiring in the mainline contract.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos