Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UA748i
Topic Author

OSHA Issues Guidance on Adverse Vaccine Reactions - Industry Repercussions?

Fri May 21, 2021 2:57 pm

Interesting update from OSHA concerning employer madated vaccinations. If a company mandates a vaccination as a condition of employment, and the employee has an adverse reaction as a direct result, it is considered a work-related injury.

Considering that airlines like United (and I think Delta) have implemented this policy, it will be interesting to see how they react to this guideline.

It makes perfect sense, in my opinion.

"If I require my employees to take the COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of their employment, are adverse reactions to the vaccine recordable?

"If you require your employees to be vaccinated as a condition of employment (i.e., for work-related reasons), then any adverse reaction to the COVID-19 vaccine is work-related. The adverse reaction is recordable if it is a new case under 29 CFR 1904.6 and meets one or more of the general recording criteria in 29 CFR 1904.7."

https://www.enr.com/articles/51691-osha ... 9-vaccines

CALMSP

Re: OSHA Issues Guidance on Adverse Vaccine Reactions - Industry Repercussions?

Fri May 21, 2021 3:00 pm

DL has implemented this as a requirement if you want to work for DL, but good for them for segregating new employees vs. current, great work in non-discrimination practice!!

But it will be interesting to see what airlines do in response to this, and of course, I'm sure there will be some actions by employees as a sort of protest against this b/c they were coerced into getting a shot.

Cubsrule

Fri May 21, 2021 3:01 pm

Unless one or more of the COVD-19 vaccines is significantly less safe than is presently understood, this is pretty much a non-event. All vaccines have reported adverse events, and any number of employers require various vaccinations. The COVID-19 vaccine isn't different or special.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

kalvado

Fri May 21, 2021 3:04 pm

Pretty reasonable - if employer goes above and beyond government requirements, they have to bear the consequences.
It is more nuanced for other settings, such as schools and colleges which require vaccinations for many other conditions, and used to do that for a long time. Those are government mandates, though, and vaccines are fully approved - as opposed to emergency use one.

kalvado

Fri May 21, 2021 3:07 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Unless one or more of the COVD-19 vaccines is significantly less safe than is presently understood, this is pretty much a non-event. All vaccines have reported adverse events, and any number of employers require various vaccinations. The COVID-19 vaccine isn't different or special.

If everyone believes that vaccine is safe, why bother? Companies are not at risk as there will be no consequencies anyway [ /sarcasm]
Covid vaccines are different in their legal status - emergency approval is the name of the game. Proving that certain medical condition is a result of vaccination is again a totally different story.

Cubsrule

Fri May 21, 2021 3:09 pm

kalvado wrote:
Those are government mandates, though, and vaccines are fully approved - as opposed to emergency use one.

Those employers who require flu vaccine are absolutely not acting under government mandate. I'm not sure why emergency use authorization is legally significant from an OSHA perspective, but perhaps I've missed something (and in any event it sounds like Pfizer is pretty close to "normal" authorization).

smokeybandit

Fri May 21, 2021 3:13 pm

How many employers require a flu vaccine though?

airbazar

Fri May 21, 2021 3:13 pm

Cubsrule wrote:

Uh? I've taken many vaccines in my lifetime and I don't remember ever having to take a day off from work for feeling sick afterwards. This ruling means that instead of having to take a sick day or personal day or whatever it is called in the airline world, the company has to give you that time.

Cubsrule

Fri May 21, 2021 3:17 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
How many employers require a flu vaccine though?

It's pretty common in healthcare.

Spacepope

Fri May 21, 2021 3:23 pm

airbazar wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Uh? I've taken many vaccines in my lifetime and I don't remember ever having to take a day off from work for feeling sick afterwards. This ruling means that instead of having to take a sick day or personal day or whatever it is called in the airline world, the company has to give you that time.

Reasonable as well. My second dose knocked me on my butt for the day after. If that day was a workday I for sure would have taken a sick day. That the company would just pay you for a day where you reasonably shouldn't be working due to effects from the vax, then that's even better.
The last of the famous international playboys

ATCJesus

Fri May 21, 2021 3:32 pm

ATC and Pilots are required to be off duty for 48 hours after any dose. FAA ATC was given 2 days for each dose.

Cubsrule

Fri May 21, 2021 3:40 pm

Spacepope wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Reasonable as well. My second dose knocked me on my butt for the day after. If that day was a workday I for sure would have taken a sick day. That the company would just pay you for a day where you reasonably shouldn't be working due to effects from the vax, then that's even better.

Right. If the company makes you take a vaccine and the vaccine knocks you out for a day, the company ought to be responsible for that day. That concept shouldn’t be controversial or require OSHA guidance.

I do think this issue is likely to diminish in importance going forward as Pfizer’s “market share” goes up; while hard data are still scarce the anecdotal record seems pretty clear that these moderate side effects are much less common with Pfizer.

trex8

Fri May 21, 2021 3:58 pm

I doubt OHSA are concerned about your day off work from feeling blah, though it will be paid day off now. But if you are the several in a million w ho get the vaccine thrombosis in your brain or the one in million who die. How any on this will work when (and its almost certainly when and not if) they are fully approved is another question.

32andBelow

Fri May 21, 2021 5:59 pm

airbazar wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Pilots and atc have to take 2 days off after covid vaccine per the flight surgeon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos