Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

asuflyer
Topic Author

Updated: FAA downgrades Mexico’s Safety Rating to CAT 2

Sat May 22, 2021 12:16 am

Following a review of Mexican air safety the FAA is believed to soon downgrade Mexico’s air safety rating from a Category 1 rating to a Category 2 according to a report from Reuters. The new categorization will prohibit Aeromexico, Volaris, Aeromar, VivaAerobus and any other Mexican airline from adding new services to the US, but allow them to maintain existing services.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 021-05-21/

ikolkyo

Re: FAA preparing to downgrade Mexico’s Air Safety Rating to CAT 2

Sat May 22, 2021 12:23 am

Wow this is crazy, wonder how long it will take for them to get back to CAT 1

LAXintl

Sat May 22, 2021 12:35 am

Last downgrade (2010) lasted 4-months.

I would bet there will be strong political and business pressure on both sides restore things to normal as soon as practical.

Downgrade also impacts JVs and codesharing relationships.
Last edited by LAXintl on Sat May 22, 2021 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

khaba

Sat May 22, 2021 12:42 am

ikolkyo wrote:
Wow this is crazy, wonder how long it will take for them to get back to CAT 1

according to the article, it was just a few months later when it happened in 2010.

so it's a cycle, the audit happens every so often and it's broadcasted as horrible, especially now due to increased tourist travel to mexico

DaCubbyBearBar

Sat May 22, 2021 1:33 am

asuflyer wrote:
Following a review of Mexican air safety the FAA is believed to soon downgrade Mexico’s air safety rating from a Category 1 rating to a Category 2 according to a report from Reuters. The new categorization will prohibit Aeromexico, Volaris, Aeromar, VivaAerobus and any other Mexican airline from adding new services to the US, but allow them to maintain existing services.

But can US carriers add service?
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

usdcaguy

Sat May 22, 2021 3:07 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
asuflyer wrote:

Yes, they can. It only impacts Mexican carriers. I’m thinking Mexico may be short of oversight staff due to COVID. There may be a business reason for this due to the growth of Mexican LCCs in the US, but I’m doubtful.

atcsundevil

Sat May 22, 2021 3:21 am

usdcaguy wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

Yes, they can. It only impacts Mexican carriers. I’m thinking Mexico may be short of oversight staff due to COVID. There may be a business reason for this due to the growth of Mexican LCCs in the US, but I’m doubtful.

They can, but I don't think they can carry a codeshare of a Mexican carrier if it's new service.

smartplane

Sat May 22, 2021 8:26 pm

Seems hard to believe it's a qualified downgrade - in other words safety oversight of airlines is deficient, but all other aspects of aviation safety is OK.

If the latter is included, it will affect insurance premiums of airlines based outside Mexico, flying to / from, and maintenance work undertaken in Mexico for airlines based outside Mexico.

MIflyer12

Sun May 23, 2021 2:57 am

GSOtoIND wrote:
smartplane wrote:
Seems hard to believe it's a qualified downgrade - in other words safety oversight of airlines is deficient, but all other aspects of aviation safety is OK.

If the latter is included, it will affect insurance premiums of airlines based outside Mexico, flying to / from, and maintenance work undertaken in Mexico for airlines based outside Mexico.

Interesting point. It's going to be odd to discuss poorly enforced safety rules without scrutinizing all the domestic airlines using QRO for maintenance.

Why is that? The Reuters piece doesn't speak to QRO maintenance facilities by any party. Your guilt by geography line would be like saying all AA pilots are unfit to fly because MAF missed a runway assignment.

Ziyulu

Sun May 23, 2021 3:12 am

So will it ever be possible for the US to be downgraded to CAT 2?

lightsaber

Sun May 23, 2021 3:59 am

LAXintl wrote:
Last downgrade (2010) lasted 4-months.

I would bet there will be strong political and business pressure on both sides restore things to normal as soon as practical.

Downgrade also impacts JVs and codesharing relationships.

There will be a desire to upgrade, but the regulators are independent. I doubt this will go longer, but in my opinion, it could be another 4-month downgrade, if it happens.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

lightsaber

Sun May 23, 2021 4:02 am

For factual statements, please post links or make it clear it is your opinion.

YYZatcboy

Sun May 23, 2021 3:44 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
So will it ever be possible for the US to be downgraded to CAT 2?

This is my opinion. -- I'm sure that if they had a desire to, Mexico could downgrade the US using the justification of the poor FAA oversight at Boeing. Probably not worth it for them, but it might be possible.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

lightsaber

Sun May 23, 2021 4:03 pm

For the FAA to downgrade the USA to CAT2 would be the FAA finding fault with itself and not being able to correct in a timely manner when the FAA asked the FAA to improve itself... Errr...

The reality is the FAA is trying to correct oversight. Downgrading is the blunt hammer when asking nicely failed, in my opinion.

The deficiencies in AIR (FAA's branch of certification) have been recognized and it is undergoing a transformation:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/he ... formation/

That started in 2017...
Lightsaber

Lightsaber

lightsaber

Sun May 23, 2021 4:03 pm

For the FAA to downgrade the USA to CAT2 would be the FAA finding fault with itself and not being able to correct in a timely manner when the FAA asked the FAA to improve itself... Errr...

The reality is the FAA is trying to correct oversight. Downgrading is the blunt hammer when asking nicely failed, in my opinion.

The deficiencies in AIR (FAA's branch of certification) have been recognized and it is undergoing a transformation:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/he ... formation/

That started in 2017...
Lightsaber

Lightsaber

xdlx

Sun May 23, 2021 4:21 pm

Strong signal for everyone " Including AMLO " to start making WISE aeronautical decisions....

travaz

Sun May 23, 2021 4:34 pm

I wonder if this will effect the freighter conversions done in MEX under Bedek's STC? They currently have a few Amazon Aircraft under or waiting for P2F conversion.

n9801f

Sun May 23, 2021 6:35 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
GSOtoIND wrote:
smartplane wrote:

Interesting point. It's going to be odd to discuss poorly enforced safety rules without scrutinizing all the domestic airlines using QRO for maintenance.

Why is that? The Reuters piece doesn't speak to QRO maintenance facilities by any party. Your guilt by geography line would be like saying all AA pilots are unfit to fly because MAF missed a runway assignment.

I agree with GSOtoIND. Some US carriers use Mexican MRO's extensively. The contradiction of US regulators complaining about Mexican oversight yet permitting US carriers to use Mexican MRO's is obvious to me.

So the attempt to split hairs and deflect with the MAF analogy doesn't resonate with me.

From what I see, Mexico and its aviation companies have a long, enviable, world class safety record. I echo the sentiments voiced above that this action feels somehow political in nature. Hopefully this is resolved quickly.

janders

Mon May 24, 2021 7:04 pm

Seems of the Mexican carriers Volaris is best situated with any freeze in air service levels.

AM has cut back so much and would not be able to rebuild. Interjet if it were ever to comeback would not be able to resume U.S service, while Viva does not have too developed U.S. network.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

LAXintl

Mon May 24, 2021 7:26 pm

Yes certainly Volaris is the market leader on the Mexican side for U.S. flights.

I dont have the data, but I have heard that todays Volaris U.S. schedule is already larger than its pre-Covid flying, while AM on the other hand is significantly smaller and would be left with the inability to restore.

Boeing757100

Mon May 24, 2021 8:09 pm

Since Delta's strategy relies a lot on investment and codeshares with other airlines, how will this affect their big partnership with Aeromexico?
Going to ATL airport in 2019 is like being in 2013
Going to ATL airport in 2010 is like being in 2000
Going to ATL airport in 1998 is like being in 1988
Going to ATL airport in 2035 is like watching paint dry

lightsaber

Mon May 24, 2021 10:47 pm

Please post links on factual posts.

usdcaguy

Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
Since Delta's strategy relies a lot on investment and codeshares with other airlines, how will this affect their big partnership with Aeromexico?

AM may be limited in its ability to grow and add capacity, but I doubt if it will hit DL much. They already have most of the US to Mexico markets they want to fly covered with their own metal. Anything AM eventually adds will be simply be accretive to whatever has always been in place.

LAXintl

Tue May 25, 2021 5:46 pm

Volaris put out a statement regarding the expected downgrade.

https://www.webinfomil.com/2021/05/vola ... d.html?m=1

Basically says the downgrade is related to Mexican government compliance and not airlines. Volaris maintains compliance with all industry safety standards. For U.S. market it says it already operating at 113% capacity compared to 2019 and will maintain such capacity with growth plans focused on the domestic market and expansion into Central and South America as more deliveries arrive. Suspension of Frontier codeshare will have a negligible impact as it only represents 0.4% of customers.

LAXintl

Tue May 25, 2021 5:51 pm

And it's official

Federal Aviation Administration Announces Results of Mexico’s Safety Assessment
https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases ... wsId=26142

=

PITFlyer330

Tue May 25, 2021 7:46 pm

Vivaaerobus just added Miami. Is it too late? https://twitter.com/WandrMe/status/1397 ... 56000?s=20

ScottB

Tue May 25, 2021 9:45 pm

PITFlyer330 wrote:
Vivaaerobus just added Miami. Is it too late? https://twitter.com/WandrMe/status/1397 ... 56000?s=20

If they weren't flying it as of today, yes.

CMA727

Tue May 25, 2021 10:08 pm

I am familiar at first hand level of what has been going on with today´s, AFAC (former DGAC) and as much I hate to admit it, civil aviation opertations in mexican airspace and airports will always be at risk of accidents if the mexican civil aeronautics authorities don´t clean up their act.
I hope Cat 2 degradation associated shake-up forces the mexican federal goverment to give the attention and funds it´s national civil aeronautics authority require to guarantee as much as that´s really possible safe air operations inside its territory.

aerolimani

Tue May 25, 2021 10:25 pm

LAXintl wrote:
And it's official

Federal Aviation Administration Announces Results of Mexico’s Safety Assessment
https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases ... wsId=26142

=

The thread title ought to be changed accordingly.

Here's Aeromexico's email announcement:

(my translation to English)

Today, the FAA of the United States of America announced a reclassification of the safety standards of the aviation authorities of Mexico.

The FAA's evaluation is centered on the capabilities of the [avaiation] authorities of [Mexico] (in matters of security), and not of the airlines. For Aeromexico, safety is our top priority, and we continue to operate under the highest international safety standards.

The FAA's decision will not affect our current operations to and from the United States. In short:
• You can continue to purchase tickets through our website, app, call center, or through travel agencies, for trips to and from the United States, without restrictions.
• Your tickets, reservations, and electronic vouchers remain valid.
• Your Club Premier points continue to be available for use.

If you have a flight scheduled, you do not need to contact us. We invite you to review the requirements for trips to the United States <here>.

Together, Aeromexico and its Delta Air Lines offer you a combined network of more than 40 routes between the USA and Mexico from our main hubs, and in June we are offering more than 4000 flights between the two countries.

See you on board soon. Thank you for flying with us.

Andrés Castañeda
Executive Vice President
Digital and Customer Service

----------

El día de hoy, la Administración Federal de Aviación (FAA por sus siglas en inglés) de los Estados Unidos, anunció una nueva clasificación a los estándares de seguridad de las autoridades aeronáuticas de México.

El programa de evaluación de la FAA se enfoca en la capacidad de las autoridades del país en materia de seguridad y no en la de las aerolíneas. Para Aeroméxico, la seguridad es nuestra principal prioridad y continuaremos operando bajo los más altos estándares internacionales.

La decisión de la FAA no afectará nuestras operaciones actuales desde y hacia los Estados Unidos. En concreto:
• Podrás seguir comprando boletos a través de nuestro sitio web, App, Call Center o agencias de viajes desde y hacia los Estados Unidos sin restricciones.
• Tus boletos, reservas y vouchers electrónicos continúan vigentes.
• Tus Puntos Premier se mantienen y continuarán disponibles para que los utilices.

Si tienes un vuelo programado no es necesario comunicarse con nosotros y te invitamos a revisar los requerimientos para viajar hacia los Estados Unidos aquí.

Aeroméxico y nuestro socio Delta Air Lines ofrecemos una red combinada de más de 40 rutas entre Estados Unidos y México desde nuestros principales centros de operaciones y en junio ofreceremos más de 4,000 vuelos entre ambos países.

Nos vemos pronto a bordo. Gracias por volar con nosotros.
Andrés Castañeda
Vicepresidente Ejecutivo,
Digital y Experiencia al Cliente

hiflyeras

Tue May 25, 2021 10:43 pm

Hoping that our trip to MEX on DL (with a segment as an AM codeshare flight) is not affected. It sounds like DL will be reissuing tickets with the AM portion being an AM flight, not a DL flight?

Gregd75

Re: Updated: FAA downgrades Mexico’s Safety Rating to CAT 2

Sat May 29, 2021 1:55 pm

Of course Mexican airlines will be impacted by this decision, but remember the hundreds of flights to/from Cancun by US carriers. During the pandemic, its been stunning to see the growth of Cancun as a destination.

No more adds for the time being and I wonder how this downgrade could potentially impact US carrier presence and plans in Mexico.

santi319

Sat May 29, 2021 4:03 pm

Gregd75 wrote:

No more adds for the time being and I wonder how this downgrade could potentially impact US carrier presence and plans in Mexico.

US Airlines can add routes to Mexico, Mexican airlines can’t.

vedatil4

Mon May 31, 2021 12:29 pm

I just came back from a Baja trip flying through the CBX terminal next to San Diego.

The place was packed! There wasn't any parking available. So I doubt anyone there was even slightly concerned about the Cat2 rating.

Talking to relatives, the optics of the downgrade seems political to them. They made references to a time when Mexican trucks weren't being allowed to enter the US for different technical reasons. They see the Cat2 downgrade in a similar way; roadblocks to keep Mexican truckers, or pilots in this case, out.

Volaris is doing great business, expanding into the US, and is starting to look like a rising challenger to US carriers. (At least for cross-border flights during a sharp rise in tourism.) US carriers will likely benefit from less flights by competitors while the cat2 rating stands. (Especially come winter when people dream of being on a beach in Cancun.)

In a separate thread long ago, I predicted an almost-cabotage scenario possible out of the CBX bridge. I think the odds of this increase if Volaris (or VivaAerobus) add more US destinations.

MIflyer12

Mon May 31, 2021 1:12 pm

vedatil4 wrote:
Talking to relatives, the optics of the downgrade seems political to them. They made references to a time when Mexican trucks weren't being allowed to enter the US for different technical reasons. They see the Cat2 downgrade in a similar way; roadblocks to keep Mexican truckers, or pilots in this case, out.

Volaris is doing great business, expanding into the US, and is starting to look like a rising challenger to US carriers. (At least for cross-border flights during a sharp rise in tourism.) US carriers will likely benefit from less flights by competitors while the cat2 rating stands. (Especially come winter when people dream of being on a beach in Cancun.)

That's just silly. U.S. carriers moved 98% of the passengers non-stop U.S.A. -Cancun in 2019. Mexican carriers are an absolute non-factor in the U.S.-CUN market. See Table 7:

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... 202019.pdf

U.S. carriers also got 99% of the non-stop traffic to PVR; 100% of the n/s traffic to SJD.

There's no need for non-tariff barriers to hold onto U.S. vacationers to Mexico.

The FAA is applying ICAO standards. The Mexican government would do far better by evaluating deficiencies honestly.

santi319

Mon May 31, 2021 3:03 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
vedatil4 wrote:

That's just silly. U.S. carriers moved 98% of the passengers non-stop U.S.A. -Cancun in 2019. Mexican carriers are an absolute non-factor in the U.S.-CUN market. See Table 7:

U.S. carriers also got 99% of the non-stop traffic to PVR; 100% of the n/s traffic to SJD.

There's no need for non-tariff barriers to hold onto U.S. vacationers to Mexico.

The FAA is applying ICAO standards. The Mexican government would do far better by evaluating deficiencies honestly.

Yes, but the Government implied that was the reason. Not going to get into politics but it does come from a place of a mess the current administration is in. Incompetence is the real reason, ask any proper Mexican airline employee, the Mexican Aviation Authority is a mess.

vedatil4

Mon May 31, 2021 3:41 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
vedatil4 wrote:

I agree. The numbers in table7 don't lie. But the optics from the Mexican side is that we're trying to hold back a future, potential competitor; namely, Volaris.

There must be oversight deficiencies south of the border. A popular vlogger did a video about Aero Servicios Guerrero recently. Oh my! I was scared just watching.

The sometimes much cheaper way to get to destinations in Mexico is to use the CBX bridge so the flight isn't international. But that only works well if someone lives in southern California. Table7 won't reflect those passengers. For example, flying SAN or LAX to PVR or SJD is usually much more than from TIJ.

Also around here it's a good practice to do a quick check if Volaris flies somewhere on the east coast or if Aeromexico flies to South America. It may be that the cheaper ticket price makes the MEX connection bearable.

32andBelow

Mon May 31, 2021 3:52 pm

vedatil4 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
vedatil4 wrote:

I agree. The numbers in table7 don't lie. But the optics from the Mexican side is that we're trying to hold back a future, potential competitor; namely, Volaris.

There must be oversight deficiencies south of the border. A popular vlogger did a video about Aero Servicios Guerrero recently. Oh my! I was scared just watching.

The sometimes much cheaper way to get to destinations in Mexico is to use the CBX bridge so the flight isn't international. But that only works well if someone lives in southern California. Table7 won't reflect those passengers. For example, flying SAN or LAX to PVR or SJD is usually much more than from TIJ.

Also around here it's a good practice to do a quick check if Volaris flies somewhere on the east coast or if Aeromexico flies to South America. It may be that the cheaper ticket price makes the MEX connection bearable.

Maybe under Trump. But this administration isn’t trying to just stick it to mexico

LAXintl

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:59 pm

FAA will assign a group of specialists to work with their Mexican counterparts and provide the necessary technical assistance to help Mexico meet the ICAO standards.

https://aerolatinnews.com/destacado/fir ... on-la-faa/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos