Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

doulasc
Topic Author

new york airways helicopter

Mon May 24, 2021 7:29 pm

always wonder why New York City no longer has Helicopter service between Manhattan and the 3 airports.I think it would be a service that would be in demand.
I remember in 1968 I visited New York as a kid and flew on a Boeing Vertol 107 Helicopter from the Pan Am building to JFK,also in 1968 New York Airways dropped
their service to the Pan Am building and restarted again in 1977 until the accident on the heliport sending pieces of the wreckage to the street some poeple lost their lives on the ground.
Then New York Airways ceased operations in 1979.In the early 1980s I think Pan Am had their own helicopter shuttle service from JFK to the Big Apple(nickname for New York City)

dmanonice

Re: new york airways helicopter

Mon May 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Check out blade helicopter..... but yes no airline is operating helicopters in New York.

https://www.blade.com
Bae 146,DC-9-30/50, MD-88 Boeing 737-300/600/700/800/8, 747-400, 757-200, 767-200/300/400, 777-200/300, 787-9 Airbus A310-300, A319/320/321, A330-200/300, A340-300/600 Pilatus PC-12, Dash-8-100/300/400 ATR 72-500.

From YOW to everywhere!

LCDFlight

Mon May 24, 2021 7:35 pm

My mom also rode New York Airways on a transfer between JFK and possibly LGA, stopping at the Pan Am building. They used surplus Chinooks.

This was an iconic aviation moment

catiii

Mon May 24, 2021 7:37 pm

doulasc wrote:
always wonder why New York City no longer has Helicopter service between Manhattan and the 3 airports.I think it would be a service that would be in demand.
I remember in 1968 I visited New York as a kid and flew on a Boeing Vertol 107 Helicopter from the Pan Am building to JFK,also in 1968 New York Airways dropped
their service to the Pan Am building and restarted again in 1977 until the accident on the heliport sending pieces of the wreckage to the street some poeple lost their lives on the ground.
Then New York Airways ceased operations in 1979.In the early 1980s I think Pan Am had their own helicopter shuttle service from JFK to the Big Apple(nickname for New York City)

Two reasons: First, it's only really viable if you can clear TSA at the heliport and then connect post security. Second, from a codesharing perspective, the NYC helicopter operators have an abysmal safety record. It would be hard to get through a safety audit.

catiii

Mon May 24, 2021 7:41 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
My mom also rode New York Airways on a transfer between JFK and possibly LGA, stopping at the Pan Am building. They used surplus Chinooks.

This was an iconic aviation moment

No, they were civilian versions of the CH-46. They then flew the civilian version of the SH-3, which is the type HMX-1 uses for Marine One when transporting the President.

airzim

Mon May 24, 2021 7:57 pm

catiii wrote:
doulasc wrote:

Two reasons: First, it's only really viable if you can clear TSA at the heliport and then connect post security. Second, from a codesharing perspective, the NYC helicopter operators have an abysmal safety record. It would be hard to get through a safety audit.

Continental had a deal where you could fly the helicopter for no extra fee if you were on a full fare J ticket in BusinessFirst. It wasn't a codeshare, but they were definitely linked.

The service from a few years ago (I can't remember the name of the company) did have TSA at 34th St and Wall St heliports. It was great and the views were insane! However I only ever used it leaving NYC because I could plan the departure time with the flight. However, returning never made sense since you'd often have to wait for the next chopper and at that point you might as well have taken an Uber.

The cost was maybe $50 more than an Uber Black. I was often the only person on it. Generally unless you lived near one of the heliports and the schedule worked perfectly, it's cheaper and faster to take a car.

MO11

Tue May 25, 2021 12:31 am

doulasc wrote:

After New York Airways, there was New York Helicopter (operated by Island Helicopters) which used S-58Ts. It lasted until 1988. The Pan Am service from 60th St to JFK operated from 1982 to 1988, first using Bell 222s, then switching to Westlands. It was operated by Omniflight Helicopter. There was another operator, Trans New York, that operated very briefly in the early '80s using A109s.

airzim wrote:
Continental had a deal where you could fly the helicopter for no extra fee if you were on a full fare J ticket in BusinessFirst. It wasn't a codeshare, but they were definitely linked.

Since BusinessFirst didn't start until 1992, I'm not sure which company that would have been.

B6JFKH81

Tue May 25, 2021 1:20 am

Does Uber still have helicopter service in NYC?

https://www.uber.com/blog/new-york-city/uber-copter/
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

ContinentalEWR

Tue May 25, 2021 1:21 am

airzim wrote:
catiii wrote:
doulasc wrote:

The service from a few years ago (I can't remember the name of the company) did have TSA at 34th St and Wall St heliports. It was great and the views were insane! However I only ever used it leaving NYC because I could plan the departure time with the flight. However, returning never made sense since you'd often have to wait for the next chopper and at that point you might as well have taken an Uber.

The cost was maybe $50 more than an Uber Black. I was often the only person on it. Generally unless you lived near one of the heliports and the schedule worked perfectly, it's cheaper and faster to take a car.

I don't think that is accurate regarding Continental. BusinessFirst launched in 1992. By then, I do not believe there was regular helicopter service between Manhattan and EWR.

Rhodylee

Tue May 25, 2021 1:24 am

Looks like there was also a company called us helicopter that flew from Newark airport to Manhattan in the late 2000’s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Helicopter

MO11

Tue May 25, 2021 3:37 am

Rhodylee wrote:
Looks like there was also a company called us helicopter that flew from Newark airport to Manhattan in the late 2000’s

And I did find an article that said you could clear security and check bags in Manhattan for CO flight from EWR and AA flights from JFK.

CrimsonNL

Tue May 25, 2021 8:52 am

Rhodylee wrote:

In 2007 I arrived into JFK on KLM, into T4. I remember riding a skytrain to the arrivals hall or something, and seeing two helicopters on the ramp, with running engines. I'm pretty sure they were both S-76's, in my memory one was white and the other dark blue. I guess that were these guys!
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Italianflyer

Tue May 25, 2021 9:43 am

https://youtu.be/8nbz5VFilxY

Here's a short doc about them

asuflyer

Tue May 25, 2021 1:53 pm

Blade, NY Helicopter and Liberty Helicopters still offer charters from the Downtown Manhattan Heliport, the West 30th St Heliport and from the 34th Street Heliport to JFK and EWR. If they are CEO types with private jets then they are typically just are chauffeured to TEB if they don't fly commercial. There isn't high demand for these charters in part because the experience is quite poor, flying over NYC is not for the faint of heart as well as waiting in a glorified trailer before the helicopter arrives and many people doubt the safety of helicopters in New York City, as there are often fatal accidents or mishaps almost every other year. The helicopter companies do most of their business taking people to the Hamptons, HTO airport, working on commercial film and aerial projects and taking tourists on sightseeing tours.

ikramerica

Tue May 25, 2021 2:29 pm

Pan Am used to use them from EWR to Wall Street to JFK and back. We took that on a Pan Am flight EWR-JFK-SFO-HKG-SIN as a kid. Don’t know how my Mom dragged all 3 kids on such a long journey.

My Dad flew the other direction around the world on BA because his company was paying. This was early 80s so not sure which helicopter company it was that BA used to connect him from JFK. On the return leg, he was on the JFK-EWR helicopter and someone freaked out. He opened the escape hatch and the panel fell to the ground. They had to land midway and the man was arrested.

My Dad said the door panel hit a car but my Dad exaggerated a lot of things. Don’t know if there’s a way to look up that incident report.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

airzim

Tue May 25, 2021 2:55 pm

Rhodylee wrote:

Yes that was it. I couldn't find an old press release but this blog makes mention of this linked services.

https://airlinerblog.wordpress.com/2008 ... r-service/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos